• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness Question and Answer Thread, Ask Ness questions Here!

xoxokev

Smash Lord
Does anybody know the mechanics of Ness' down tilt? Sometimes it will make the opponent trip, and sometimes it won't. Is it random? Or is there a way to guarantee a trip...?

Gaussis

Smash Ace
Dtilt has a 50% or something chance of tripping when it is anywhere except one spot. If Ness's dtilt works like Lucas's, he has a sweetspot that always will trip at the tip of the foot. However, in Lucas's case, the sweetspot is extremely small and can even be disrupted by character animations. I'm not sure if Ness has a sweetspot, but if Lucas has one, might as well look...

Earthbound Zero

Smash Journeyman
Is the Marth vs. Ness matchup really that bad? I don't really have problems with Marth, but I'm not sure if my friends are that good with him. (They aren't bad players, I'm just not sure if they know Marth that well.)

I have as much of a bad time with Marth as I have with Toon Link.

Gaussis

Smash Ace
Supposedly it's supposed to be bad, but there really isn't anything consistent in that matchup other than what is known well.

Earthbound Zero

Smash Journeyman
Grab releases don't really bother me, the annoying thing is Marth's B combo, counter, and overall range. x_x

It's annoying but I don't feel it's as bad as people say.

Also, how do I effectively avoid/counter R.O.B.'s Dsmash?

Uffe

Smash Hero
Well I've got a question. How do you deal with people who run away all the time and wait for you to mess up? It's really annoying. If I use PK Thunder, they'll just run by it and attack me. Stupid *** Fux and Flaco.

_clinton

Smash Master
Well I've got a question. How do you deal with people who run away all the time and wait for you to mess up? It's really annoying. If I use PK Thunder, they'll just run by it and attack me. Stupid *** Fux and Flaco.
Say "ok," Put up a magnet, make a U turn with Thunder, I mean to be fair PK Thunder only works as a chase really if they are being beaten by your attacks and trying to get out...

What I mean is...fake out the fake outs...for example Ness' up taunt only lasts for like 40 frames or so (you can start a full new one when someone is still putting the bat away or so)

Chances are they are running from you for a reason...so you might as well also return the favor in the end...

Fox and Falco have to come to you...so remind them of that in a nice way ^_^

Uffe

Smash Hero
Say "ok," Put up a magnet, make a U turn with Thunder, I mean to be fair PK Thunder only works as a chase really if they are being beaten by your attacks and trying to get out...

What I mean is...fake out the fake outs...for example Ness' up taunt only lasts for like 40 frames or so (you can start a full new one when someone is still putting the bat away or so)

Chances are they are running from you for a reason...so you might as well also return the favor in the end...

Fox and Falco have to come to you...so remind them of that in a nice way ^_^
Yeah, this guy using Fox said I was boring. It hurt, too. But at the same time I do recall him just running away for the most part. So basically he had no room to talk. I hate *******s.

Oh and, xoxokev, I like your sig.

xoxokev

Smash Lord
Oh and, xoxokev, I like your sig.
Thank you thank you. You're too kind lol.

As the people that run away... I can't stand them. I get too impatient, and try to attack them... sometimes I get punished and feel stupid, sometimes I hit them, and other times they just run away some more...

If they have an absorbent projectile, Psi Magnet. If not, you can try to mindgame them with a PKT2. If you see they aren't falling for it, try to floor blast or cancel out your PKT.

EDIT: I'm basically repeating what _clinton said earlier

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Just fair spam against a campy fox and make fun of him since his character got nerfed so much.

Shaky

Smash Ace
how exactly can ness escape Falco's Chaingrab after the second grab?

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
I dunno if Ness can escape Falco's CG. Yesterday I tried DI, nair, everything. But I got straight rocked to the end of the stage.

Something was definitely wrong with the G-Diffuser.

xoxokev

Smash Lord
Ness can only escape Falco's chaingrab if the Falco is not frame perfect. If he isn't frame perfect, you can jump and air dodge away, or hold up and try to footstool Falco. Or you can try spamming A and nair out of it. Be careful if you spam the jump button. You may use it, and still get grabbed, and when you're spiked, you won't have your second jump to meteor cancel...

Uffe

Smash Hero
Online, I'm not sure. Even if Ness can escape it, I'm positive Falco can just pivot grab. Maybe.

_clinton

Smash Master
Ness can only escape Falco's chaingrab if the Falco is not frame perfect. If he isn't frame perfect, you can jump and air dodge away, or hold up and try to footstool Falco. Or you can try spamming A and nair out of it. Be careful if you spam the jump button. You may use it, and still get grabbed, and when you're spiked, you won't have your second jump to meteor cancel...
The joy about the idea of someone being frame perfect...its impossible...for both ways...

Asa

Smash Hero
what are good followups to a successful PK fire? Most people I've seen Fthrow, but has anyone tried another Pk fire?

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Another PKF wont work if your opponent knows how to DI, or if you're facing anyone but Bowser.

Dthrow, fair, dair, dash attack, ftilt.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
By all technicality, that shouldnt work on any good player unless they're Bowser or the get perfectly stuck right in the middle at waste height and you're right next to them when you burn them.

Uffe

Smash Hero
PK Jump > Bat can and will work. Of course if you get your opponent caught in PK Fire, you can grab and do any throws you like. You can also dair, bair, nair or Bat them. You've got many options. If they get caught in it, you can use another PK Fire. For some reason Lucas has a tough time getting out of PK Fire.

xoxokev

Smash Lord
By all technicality, that shouldnt work on any good player unless they're Bowser or the get perfectly stuck right in the middle at waste height and you're right next to them when you burn them.
Well I meant if you PK Fire at point blank. Sometimes I do that, when my opponent jumps and I predict that they will land in front of me

ViceGrip

Smash Journeyman
I contest that fact earthbound360, I find placing additional pk fires works on a lot of characters besides bowser. It is very effective vs lucas, metaknight, snake, fox, and falco (not wolf though, his reflector comes out 2 quick). These characters are just examples of some who have a VERY difficult time escaping additional pk fires when applied directly in the center of them. The only option they have is shielding most of the time because di'ing out is very difficult. Most people try and di out and thus get caught in additional pk fires. When they learn to try and shield it that's okay because dthrow or fthrow is great to use out of pk fire also ( i just use dthrow out of fire primarily when they are still IN the flames for additional damage). But i'm not saying your wrong, i'm just saying that I find a 2nd or 3rd pk fire on a character that is vulnerable to it (meanind di'ing out of it is pretty difficult) is a great option so it's not just big ol bowser that's in trouble. Too bad d3 gets out so easy 4 sum reason :/.

_clinton

Smash Master
I contest that fact earthbound360, I find placing additional pk fires works on a lot of characters besides bowser. It is very effective vs lucas, metaknight, snake, fox, and falco (not wolf though, his reflector comes out 2 quick). These characters are just examples of some who have a VERY difficult time escaping additional pk fires when applied directly in the center of them. The only option they have is shielding most of the time because di'ing out is very difficult. Most people try and di out and thus get caught in additional pk fires. When they learn to try and shield it that's okay because dthrow or fthrow is great to use out of pk fire also ( i just use dthrow out of fire primarily when they are still IN the flames for additional damage). But i'm not saying your wrong, i'm just saying that I find a 2nd or 3rd pk fire on a character that is vulnerable to it (meanind di'ing out of it is pretty difficult) is a great option so it's not just big ol bowser that's in trouble. Too bad d3 gets out so easy 4 sum reason :/.
D3 is Sakurai you know...that is why he gets out...

My favorite thing to do to those that have ways of countering the fire is to simply Dair their *** actually (suck it Zelda, Mario, Marth, Ike, ect.)

As for those like D3 anyway (and Snake and a few others) they always break at the same area...so try PK Jumping their *****...

ViceGrip

Smash Journeyman
yea clinton, I think dair IS the best option for zelda and mario, not sure about marth and ike but probably. Marth is questionable just cause he can dolphin slash out also. Yea if they get out at the same spot u can predict that and punish. Haven't tried using pk jump 4 punishing the jump tho, does it work that well? seems like it could.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I dunno, I've seen some of those characters get out pretty quick. Lucas can get out fast enough to heal himself on PKF and then magnet cancel roll away. Maybe it's cuz it's online.

Ike and Marth are easy to dair as are all space animals (yes Wolf if he decides to shine it) and Mario and Zelda. The only person I have a hard time ddairing after they've countered my fire is Pit. Stupid physical attack barrier.

Snake is hilarious. After PKFing him and after he jumps out, there's very little he can do before he eats another PKF upon landing lol.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I don't bother dairing Marth unless he's high enough. I don't trust that Dolphin Slash. And Lucas can PSIM Cancel? I don't recall that working for me.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Ness Lucas, along with Fox and Wolf can DownB cancel.

And if the Marth really wants to use Dolphin slash repeatedly when he's on fire, just PKF him again. It's quite funny.

xoxokev

Smash Lord
or BAT him when he lands lol jk i have an obsession with the bat right now for some odd reason...

fyi: charging the bat is a good edge guard

Gaussis

Smash Ace
If Marth is using Dolphin Slash and you know it's coming, use PK Flash lol.

Top Bottom