• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness Question and Answer Thread, Ask Ness questions Here!

Anima Araria

Smash Rookie
Unless of course you're the Ice Climbers. And speaking of CGs and IC's, I was told by an IC main that the IC's have a bit of a tougher time CGing Ness and Lucas. Does anybody know if this is true?

PMKNG

Smash Ace
NNID
GalickGon
Do you mean actually grabbing ness and lucas? Or do you mean the process of going from in succession to another grab?

Cause for the first, ness and lucas do have good tactics for avoiding grabs, such as pk fire and well spaced fairs. The second however, I am not aware of.

Cacti

Smash Journeyman
People will tell you Ness to cg because the timing for the regrabs is odd. Although he is a middleweight, the timing seems to lean over to the heavy characters. Although I wouldn't say CGing Ness is hard (everybody has their own characters they have a hard time with), the timing might be unfamiliar to some people.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Okay, so after playing some Melee, I had noticed that I could fair > grab. Is this possible for Ness to do in Brawl or no? I lack a working Wii at the moment.

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
Okay, so after playing some Melee, I had noticed that I could fair > grab. Is this possible for Ness to do in Brawl or no? I lack a working Wii at the moment.
yea it is, doing a full hit of fair(like the whole multi-hit), you can dash grab the enemy while they are still in hit stun if you are close enough

Uffe

Smash Hero
yea it is, doing a full hit of fair(like the whole multi-hit), you can dash grab the enemy while they are still in hit stun if you are close enough
What if they block it, though? I'm afraid I might get grabbed. There's no shield stun, is there?

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I've got a question. How does Ness stop Fludd?

What's Ness' best stage? I hear it's Delfino but I also hear BF.

CometStar

Smash Apprentice
Some may argue Delfino is his best, and though it is good I believe there are better ones. Some of Delfino's transformations can screw up things while others work in his favor.

Others may find BF is good for Ness but I beg to differ. The layout of the stage, though basic, can be limiting. Perhaps I'm biased but stages with tight layouts generally make me a bit clausterphobic. BF is generally the stage I strike first in a tournament set.

As for best stage I would vote in favor of Norfair or Pirate Ship. Both have wide open spaces above them, as well as some other different advantages. These are generally the stages I counterpick.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I've got a question. How does Ness stop Fludd?

What's Ness' best stage? I hear it's Delfino but I also hear BF.
Delfino Plaza is going to be a bad stage for Ness now. Against Peach anyway. Battlefield is a fair stage, but not his best. Ness has a lot of good and fair stages. The only ones that aren't good for him are Yoshi's Island Melee and Brawl and Lylat Cruise. I prefer stages that are somewhat enclosed. Large stages suck.

Gardevior

Smash Lord
I've been playing Ness a little more than usual, and I don't think he's complete crap. He's pretty nice, actually, but he does have his shortcomings that occasionally get me frustrated in a game.
I haven't heard a lot of opinion on Ness, though, so I don't know if people severely underrate him or what.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
He's underrated cuz nobody good really plays him now. I think Ref had a lot of potential before he quit brawl.

Gardevior

Smash Lord
Pkt -> Pkt2
This man speaks truth. Give him a cookie.

Other than that, though, I would just browse the combo videos for some easy ones. PK Fire to Dair is a pretty classic one (catch them offstage), as is Dthrow > Fair > Fair (at low percents and/or stupid opponents).

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Ness has a lot of great combos, off the top of my head:

Dair -> bat
Dair/utilt/uair/u-throw/d-throw -> pkt2 (still trying to figure out what percents and what characters these work on).
Dair -> bair chain
U-tilt -> dair -> utilt -> dair -> bair chain.

It depends on what you want to do.

Ness Brawler

Smash Rookie
thanks for telling me some combos. I'm gonna try them out as soon as I can.

Just wondering, is
dthrow,(short jump) fair, (while on 2nd jump) uair, dair a combo?

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
A lot of things can be combos if your opponent does not di. Ness' combos are heavily dependent on reading the other person.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
None of those look like true combos. It's so easy to DI away from Ness when he throws you, utilt lags too much for me to feel safe with it for comboing outside of an aerial (mainly nair), and dair comboing is...

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Whoops, I thought this was the brawl+ thread...

lol X_X

For vbrawl Uair to u-tilt works at low percents.... Dair is good at setting up consecutive hits.

Sorry.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
i'd think not, but are there any grab release combos for ness? i've wondered but i never really tested because it seems way too improbable.

PMKNG

Smash Ace
NNID
GalickGon
the only ones i know are against ness himself. and lucas
dash grab to the edge of the stage, release, dair

in the community combo video, the 2nd clip, my first shows it.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I'm not going to doubt it. If it is false, who cares? But since we're on the subject of this EIDI, I have fought a few Marth's recently who had no problem trying to do their death grab and well, I ended up escaping them.

Levitas

the moon
I haven't seen ref here in a long time, but as far as I'm concerned, there is none. I tested with and without debug, used a lot of iterations trying various analog stick placements, and asked ref for proof which he did not provide.

EIDI does not exist.

mofo_

Smash Ace
why cant i charge an upsmash/downsmash at the edge? thats so wiggity wack!

btw look at this funny picture of ness

GotenOnNimbus

Smash Apprentice
What's a good way to perform consistent retreating SH fairs? I'm trying flicking the C-Stick in the opposite direction I'm SHing, but I can never seem to pull it off well in a match. Any suggestions?

CarVac

Smash Journeyman
I jump, and hit back and C forward simultaneously.

You can't charge a yoyo on the edge, though you can dash then charge it to hang it off the edge.

Top Bottom