• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness Question and Answer Thread, Ask Ness questions Here!

CarVac

Smash Journeyman
I was just playing a CPU G&W, and I came upon something crazy. I ftilted and it cancelled out a 9 Judge hammer. Isn't the ground-based "priority" based on damage done, in which similarly-damaging moves have the same "priority"? Anyway, the 9 hammer does 32 damage and an up-angled ftilt (what I did) does 12 damage. What is going on here?

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
each move is given a set priority. it isn't exactly based on damage. take MK tornado for example: insane priority but a lot of tiny hits. ness has a lot of wierd priority on his attacks (like nair, canceling nearly every single projectile for me).

Uffe

Smash Hero
Yes, we know. It's funny how FOW had to defeat Meta Knight's just to show how good he really is and to show that Ness deserves better.

CarVac

Smash Journeyman
I c-stick it when people are behind me. Make sure to hit them while it goes out, or else it just pops them over your head so they can aerial.

It's also good for roll-spammers.

The main alternatives, I find, are to pivot PK Fire or jump and bair. Turning around and ftilting or jabbing is too slow, and if you mess it up you fsmash.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
i use dsmash a lot! I use ness' yoyos almost more than his aerials, cause most of the time his aerials are expected to be used. I <3 yoyo mindgames!

Edit: I'm getting better with throwing his aerials into random places, so this may change, but if you can't get in the air/stay there, then yoyos are your best bet... i think

EDIT 2: know how to ensure a hit with the charging frame AND the actual yoyo hit frame! If you hit with only the charging frames, expect big punishment. keep charging for a few frames on the few characters who aren't combo'd from charge to yoyo hit.

GotenOnNimbus

Smash Apprentice
Randomly charge Yo Yos. It stops some projectiles, and the hesitation of releasing it screws with your opponent's timing. Dsmash is primarily for stopping those who are on your heels, and mentioned before, halting spotdodge/rollspammers. A Lucas I play against regularly likes to roll...A LOT. Yoyos stop that very easily.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
Usmash I've found is marginally effective as a follow-up for Dthrow... Instead of following-up with something like Fair of Uair, I occasionally SHFF to mindgame an air dodge and then Usmash for suprise damage. Ness' Uair has so much priority that following up is easy.

Another question: PK Flash... Useless?

CarVac

Smash Journeyman
It's a scare tactic, and an awesome guard against predictable recoveries.

I don't know what people talk about when they use an uncharged one instead of PKT though for juggling... It doesn't hit the opponent up enough uncharged to make it worth the extra damage (for me at least).

PMKNG

Smash Ace
NNID
GalickGon
I've only gotten a pkflash uncharged to hit about three times in actual matches, and its damage was okay but nothing too big imo. Rather us pkt honestly

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
Ok, good. I was just making sure there wasn't anything I was missing out on with PK Flash... Now, I have a topic to bring up: C-Stick vs. B-Stick. Which do you use? Keep in mind:

B-Stick
  • Allows for defensive options and spacing
  • Makes ATs easier such as Firebound, Reverse PK Jump, and Adjustable PK Jump.
  • Specials are a little bit more convenient to use.

C-Stick
  • Smash DI allows for better overall influence on momentum.
  • Retreating aerials, including Fair and Dair.
  • Aerials are a little bit more convenient to use.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Ok, good. I was just making sure there wasn't anything I was missing out on with PK Flash... Now, I have a topic to bring up: C-Stick vs. B-Stick. Which do you use? Keep in mind:

B-Stick
  • Does things that are situational and near useless

C-Stick
  • Does things that aren't situational and are very useful
I answered it...

CarVac

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of Smash DI: How do I train myself to do it, and other than getting out of combos, what does it do for me (I know in smash 64, you could bounce yourself off walls or something to reduce knockback)?

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
Speaking of Smash DI: How do I train myself to do it, and other than getting out of combos, what does it do for me (I know in smash 64, you could bounce yourself off walls or something to reduce knockback)?
whenever you see a multi hitting attack coming, or attack that combos into another, think SDI. Just follow thesage's advice, cause practicing in friendlies is really the only way to get used to it in real matches.

getting out of combos, making sure you don't get the big knockback hit of a multi-hitting attack, getting further away from the enemy, setting yourself up to counter/punish your opponent, .... I don't really know the uses, i just do it and capitalize because of it.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
whats the best option when DIing in Marth's Dancing Balde attack? Should I DI away to attempt to escape or DI towards Marth to try and get behind him and punish accordingly?

PMKNG

Smash Ace
NNID
GalickGon
doesn't it depend on which dancing blade combo he is doing? I've heard that before but i'm not quite sure.

ALSO
nintenjoe, im curious as to where your signature is from. it looks like Brittos work...which if it is...:X

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
doesn't it depend on which dancing blade combo he is doing? I've heard that before but i'm not quite sure.

ALSO
nintenjoe, im curious as to where your signature is from. it looks like Brittos work...which if it is...:X
Most Marths use the damadge building (green) combo. Sorry if I wasn't being clear.

As for my signiature, I don't know who or what Britto is. I just took a picture of dimentio and flipped it with inverted colors.

smash64

Smash Champion
i think i discover a slide with ness bad thing is the replay is on my friends wii so ill have to record it next time i go to his house so you guys can see it

Uffe

Smash Hero
Lucas boards liked it. D=
Well it's disrespectful for someone to joke about somebody who passed on.

@ Smash64: Did you slide far or was it short? If you slid short ranged, it was probably a boost smash like MoP said. That or probably a Hyphen Smash. Hopefully it's something that hasn't been discovered. That'd probably help us out a lot.

ninjablah

Smash Cadet
can anyone get me a place where i (might become a ness player) could read or watch nothing but ness ATs or combos

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
can anyone get me a place where i (might become a ness player) could read or watch nothing but ness ATs or combos
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=140239

Our video thread. Watch and be amazed. Might give you some ideas for "combos".

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=169865

Our best guide, in my opinion. Don't read it all at once, just read one or two subjects at first so you don't get a headache... Read a little over an extended period of time.

ninjablah

Smash Cadet

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
What is a good Secondary for Ness?
Well, it'll need to be someone who can handle characters that Ness can't fight very well.

Every person has their own character troubles but in general Ness has it hard against Marth, Mr. Game & Watch, and Olimar in my opinion. You'll need a character that you can outplay these, among others, with. Off the top of my head King Dedede and Wario seem like good choices. But I'm no expert against those three, so you'll have to experiment a little.

If you can't decide, try Snake or Meta Knight and see if it works out. They tend to work out as effective secondaries in almost all matchups.

Top Bottom