• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some advice or have a question about something? Ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

enza99

Smash Rookie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIm00tNHZlg Ken vs Azen
someone told me that was "celled ledge teching" and to just search it up on youtube...
but i couldnt seem to find it on youtube

so... someone want to tell me how that works? or link me somewhere? or both?
happens at time stamps:
0:53 (dies but still did it)
and like 3 times from 2:15-2:19
another 3 at 2:25-2:28

Cero

Smash Lord
I love this match. :bee:

Oh and lol. I read the comments and I assume you're the dude who was asking the ledge tech question.

Some guy replied to you with this:
It's celled ledge teching search YT you'll find it around here. Very useful BTW.
He made a typo. Instead of "celled" it's supposed to read "called".
What Ken was doing throughout the match was "ledge teching" Azen's F-smashes.

Also, you know how to tech on the ground right? Well, you can also tech on ceilings (temple) and the sides of stages as well.
In the video, Ken was pressing the shield button as soon as Azen's F-smash connected so he could ledge tech to another up-B.
Ledge teching is really useful for recovery.

Oddler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OddlerPro
How do you grab release someone and make them do an aerial release?

Lotta talk about Wario getting owned by Grab releases but how do you make people do that? I use Link in case it's character specific.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
edge teching cannot be done like that in brawl. you actually have to be hit into to edge starting away from it.

For a grab release forced air break, it's simply if the characters feet are not touching the ground when they break free. This means whether or not you can force an air break depends on the matchup. You can force a ground break by pummeling fast enough.

Oddler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OddlerPro
Are there any other examples of them doing an air break besides when you catch them off the edge? (hard to do with Link)

I've seen people do it to Wario without him being off the edge. How do you do that?

SCOTU

Smash Hero
if the grabbed character's feet are not touching the ground and are not being pummelled, they will air break. Some matchups, such as marth grabbing wario, will always result in wario's feet being off the ground (meaning marth can always force an air grab break).

Chileno4Live

Smash Ace
NNID
Xyronith
3DS FC
0731-5336-4808
How do i beat roll-Dodge spammers? They're annoying because the use an attack and roll dodge behind you or away from you. And when you roll-Dodge behind them they Dsmash. when they roll dodge, it makes me doing roll dodges aswell >_< Any tips on this part?

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Don't dodge-roll. It sucks in Brawl, spot-dodge instead. If they're dodge-rolling, don't follow them with another roll, attack them.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
attack them with a long lasting attack. Dash attacks often work well for rolls away from you. Rolls towards you often get ***** by fsmashes or dsmashes

Big Bear

Smash Cadet
Hi

Heya, new here! I have no friends...brawl friends I mean! I do have 1 real friend but he's my brother and I'm getting tired of thrashing his 12 year old hinnie! Can you direct me toward some good brawlers that would actually want to brawl a noob. I hate forum politics! Thanx!

SNNAAAKKKKEEEEE

Smash Rookie
I second that motion!

I'd say Level 7.
8 and 9 have some inhumane abilities :ohwell:
Yeah that's true! Although I actually think level 7 computers are almost harder than most online players because they use the shield to their advantage A LOT. However, level 6 is too easy =P So I'd go with 7 too. That's what I use for myself and it works out fine.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Heya, new here! I have no friends...brawl friends I mean! I do have 1 real friend but he's my brother and I'm getting tired of thrashing his 12 year old hinnie! Can you direct me toward some good brawlers that would actually want to brawl a noob. I hate forum politics! Thanx!
Find the smashfest thread for your area, if there is one. Smashfests are win. Tourneys are good to if you can find 'em.

If you don't mind WiFi, many of the character boards have WiFi threads where you can find ppl.

Tamoo

Smash Master
Hey, u happen to live in the same country as me:)
we have loads of in person tournaments in England so it should be easy to find one if u look. Unfortunately, our brawl community is slightly unforgiving and mainly melee dominated but there are a few threads that are brawl friendly.
Heres the UK brawl thread, find a player on the list that you wish to play against and send them a personal message, im sure they would be willing to play. U can see all the characters that we main there as well so if u want a particular match up, u can find the player of your choice:)
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=213139
hope u have a good time on SWF and be sure to check out the Europe forums to see for upcoming tournaments and smashfests if u want to attend one, or check out the tournament section on the UK brawl thread
Edit: FYI, the players on that list are generally all regular tournament goers so the level of play is quite high. dont get discouraged if you lose a couple

Nibbles 2

Smash Apprentice
I've seen a lot of people suggesting (with the GC controller) you use the c-stick to perform aerials, rather than the control stick + A. Why is this? What advantage does the c-stick give that the control stick + A doesn't?

Tamoo

Smash Master
using the c-stick gives u more arial mobility.
If u use the control stick to perform arials, you momentarily have no control in the direction you are moving in, and instead move in the direction of the arial.
Using the c-stick means that the control stick is free to move in any direction you want in the air.
This is probably more visible to see with characters with fast horizontal movement speed, like jiggs.

Veril

Frame Savant
I've searched the forums looking for a clear explanation of the kish-style ruleset for crew battles. I'm going to a Rochester, NY tourney on feb 1st and they specify that crew battles will use that ruleset. That said no link or explanation of the rules is provided. Outside of smashboards the explanations have been vague/incomplete or just plain incoherent.

I'd really appreciate any links or help with this. I've always stuck to regular 1v1/2v2 but I want to try out crew battles.

SeriousSarcasm

Smash Rookie
What is a thunders combo? I've heard of this term often when referencing to jab/laser locking, but I've never been able to figure out what it was...

Flipstar

Smash Journeyman
When I SDI, Do i just move my control stick and c stick in a quarter circle-ish direction or do i just continue to input directions by pushing in and out?

CommanderCody08

Smash Apprentice
I think you have to return the c- stick to a neutral position every time. That means in and out.
Quarter circling was in melee when the c- stick was a little different.

Oddler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OddlerPro
I've got a question about wobble animation and jab locking...I don't think this might be super well known so if anyone knows for sure let me know.

When you have someone in a jab lock and they're in wobble animation if they time their fall can they tech roll or attack? Someone told me you could it's just difficult to time it properly while you're bouncing up and down?

Personally I thought you had to always 100% do a forced get up no matter what...but yeah...discuss.

Chileno4Live

Smash Ace
NNID
Xyronith
3DS FC
0731-5336-4808
I have a question:

Whats the best way to learn how to space properly? Any exercises i can do right now to improve my Spacing Game? I play Wolf right now so :p

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I've searched the forums looking for a clear explanation of the kish-style ruleset for crew battles. I'm going to a Rochester, NY tourney on feb 1st and they specify that crew battles will use that ruleset. That said no link or explanation of the rules is provided. Outside of smashboards the explanations have been vague/incomplete or just plain incoherent.

I'd really appreciate any links or help with this. I've always stuck to regular 1v1/2v2 but I want to try out crew battles.
im going to this tourney too, but i dont know, you should ask in the Battle for Western new York thread thats up in the tourney section of the boards, the TOs can proly tell you.

2 Questions:
Since I started posting here a month ago I have some n00bish questions ):

1)What is gimp?
2)When DIing should I use the c-stick as well as the control-stick? And what advantages does it bestow me?
1. gimp means to knock them off the stage and to hamper their recovery to the point where they die because they cant make it back to the stage.
2. you should use the c stick in the instant you get hit for smash DI which will affect your trajectory, you should also use the c stick to execute your fastest airial to kill your hitstun and knockback sooner.

I've got a question about wobble animation and jab locking...I don't think this might be super well known so if anyone knows for sure let me know.

When you have someone in a jab lock and they're in wobble animation if they time their fall can they tech roll or attack? Someone told me you could it's just difficult to time it properly while you're bouncing up and down?

Personally I thought you had to always 100% do a forced get up no matter what...but yeah...discuss.
you are correct, once the jab lock is initiated, it cant be teched and will continue until:
1. you SDI out side of the persons jab range (unlikely)
2. the person stops jabbign you.
3. you fall off the stage.
and yes you are forced to do a normal getup 100% of the time.
I have a question:

Whats the best way to learn how to space properly? Any exercises i can do right now to improve my Spacing Game? I play Wolf right now so :p
practice with your moves practice makes perfect.

alternatively, pick up marth, learning to space and hit with his tippers can help your spacing with other characters

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
is grab break different from grab release?

what is grab break?
They are the same physical thing. I would guess in most contexts grab breaking is done by the guy that got grabbed, while grab release is releasing the opponent on purpose to do something nasty.

But both are what happens when someone is in a grab too long.

Smash_Bro.

Smash Rookie
weight tier list...

Could anyone give me the character weight tier list !? You know...lightweight,middleweight,heavyweight...etc...

ColinJF

Smash Ace
Or you could look at an actually correct "weight" list. The first value is launch resistance and the second value is fall acceleration:

Bowser: 1.111, 0.91
Donkey Kong: 1.091, 0.20
Snake: 1.076, 0.16
King Dedede: 1.071, 0.29
Charizard: 1.061, 0.33
Ganondorf 1.056, 0.91
Samus: 1.051, -0.54
Yoshi: 1.045, -0.05
Wario: 1.045, 0.30
R.O.B.: 1.040, -0.32
Ike: 1.035, 0.28
Captain Falcon: 1.030, 0.92
Link: 1.030, 0.46
Wolf: 1.020, 1.84
Lucario: 1.010, -0.40
Ivysaur: 1.010, -0.16
Mario: 1, 0.00
Luigi: 0.995, -0.32
Sonic: 0.985, 0.33
Ness: 0.980, -0.12
Pit: 0.980, 0.00
Lucas: 0.980, 0.49
Diddy Kong: 0.975, 0.55
Toon Link: 0.970, -0.16
Ice Climbers: 0.970, 0.07
Peach: 0.960, -0.37
Marth: 0.944, -0.25
Sheik: 0.935, 2.21
Zelda: 0.935, -0.26
Falco: 0.919, 1.23
Olimar: 0.919, -0.47
Zero Suit Samus: 0.914, 0.44
Fox: 0.910, 3.41
Pikachu: 0.904, 0.40
Meta Knight: 0.904, 0.68
Kirby: 0.899, -0.44
Squirtle: 0.884, 1.05
Mr. Game & Watch: 0.884, 0.01
Jigglypuff: 0.849, -0.78

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=216700

Oddler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OddlerPro
Where can you find out tournament results for specific areas? Is there a place you can see who is using who , who is winning, who is attending tournaments anywhere? I've seen a few threads and a few people mention something like this but I wasn't given a website or anything.

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
What is a solid character and technique to beat IC's who chaingrab every opportunity possible?
I'm trying to find a secondary for Falco because I'm tired of IC's :[

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom