• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some advice or have a question about something? Ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
UPDATE: THERE IS NOW A NEW THREAD YOU CAN GO TO FOR HELP:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=266590

+-+-+-+

People have come to look at the tactical discussion board as something of a go-to place when you have real questions about the game. I'm not really opposed to that, and I'm glad to see people getting help, but I've seen threads about the same subjects pop up over and over again. Subjects like asking for advice on how to beat a strategy, how to beat a certain character, etc. So hopefully this thread can turn into a place where people can ask general questions about how to do things or maybe even questions about what some words mean.

And remember, if you have a question you should always use the search button before asking!

Note: This is NOT the Simple Question, Simple Answer thread. That thread is a sticky in the General Brawl Discussion board. So if that describes your question (i.e. What is ___?), then go ask it there.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Is the dash dance timing the same for each character, or do some demand faster tapping?

Steck

Smash Journeyman
what's a good way to keep your opponent guessing about what moves you are going to do?

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
What's the meaning of life?
To ask meaningful questions. No, I'm not being sarcastic.

/sarcasm

"what's a good way to keep your opponent guessing about what moves you are going to do?"

Do stuff you wouldn't do. Not sarcasm.

/sarcasm

I have a question... What's the best computer level to practice against?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I have a question... What's the best computer level to practice against?
Computer's aren't' good practice generally. A live opponent is always best, but if you must play by yourself, then I'd say lvl3 com. It's not hard, it won't do impossible timings, and it's great to just hit around and practice combos, edgeguarding, and such.

Nurotasama

Smash Journeyman
Are displayed damage percentages rounded down, rounded up, or rounded to the nearest whole number?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Are displayed damage percentages rounded down, rounded up, or rounded to the nearest whole number?
Damage is only calculated in whole numbers. There are no fractions.

Edit: Question: Can/Does OP mean original poster OR original paragragh? People keep using them inversely.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Guys, don't spam in here.

Rounded up in normal Brawl, rounded down in Training mode. Yeah, nobody knows why.

Damage is only calculated in whole numbers. There are no fractions.

Edit: Question: Can/Does OP mean original poster OR original paragragh? People keep using them inversely.
I've always thought it was original post, but in the end it means the same thing I guess.

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
I use it for original poster and original post, depending on context. Seems fair and useful to do both to me, you can always figure out without much trouble which is meant. "Edit the OP" former, "what the OP means" latter.

ShaolinAce

Smash Ace
I can't get the clear all star mode with every character challenge. I beat it with everyone by myself to make sure but still hasn't unlocked.. and I wasted all my hammers. At first I beat a few on co op with a freind but like I said I re did them.. uhh help.. sorry if this is the wrong thread.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I can't get the clear all star mode with every character challenge. I beat it with everyone by myself to make sure but still hasn't unlocked.. and I wasted all my hammers. At first I beat a few on co op with a freind but like I said I re did them.. uhh help.. sorry if this is the wrong thread.
There's a trophy for each final smash.

Also, co-op only counts for the final smash trophies (you need to clear separately with samus and ZSS for example).

Also, it will keep track of your record even if you lose and exit.

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
what will cure my horrible pain...?
*smashes you over head* Shh, go to sleep...

I don't generally have a problem with Lvl 9's, but they can frustrate me when I'm not trying (my biggest problem in smash is the laziness). For the record, if you all fought, say, Luigi, how many matches would you win against him out of ten. Be honest.

Real question: How are grabs decided if two opponents grab at the same time? It's random?

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
*smashes you over head* Shh, go to sleep...

I don't generally have a problem with Lvl 9's, but they can frustrate me when I'm not trying (my biggest problem in smash is the laziness). For the record, if you all fought, say, Luigi, how many matches would you win against him out of ten. Be honest.

Real question: How are grabs decided if two opponents grab at the same time? It's random?
10 out of 10, 2 or 3 stock every time. Computers are horribly predictable.

Grab priorities are decided by player slot #. Player 1 will win over Player 2. Sucks, yes, but its been that way since Melee.

Nintendo_lord

Smash Journeyman
I have a question, why is Marth the most awesomely, pwnage chacter who ever will exist in a Smash game?

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
No more spam in this thread.

Any other spam after this post will be given an infraction.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
Make sure you complete it with Zelda, Sheik, Samus and Zero Suit Samus. You can transform in the last battle if you want. But you need to KO Olimar with that character in order to get the trophy.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Hmm, I have a question.
Generally, whats a stage that you would typically counter pick when battling MK? For reference, I main G&W, and I don't know what stage I should choose if I wanted to get a slight advantage over one. Norfair is out of the question as even if it's good for me, its better for him.

For that matter, what's the most neutral neutral stage against MK? x__X
I end up fighting Metaknight on Battlefield and Smashville a lot, but I'm curious what might be a better choice.

other than that...

How does the training room/stale damage work?
I have a thread in the G&W section, the Oil Panic thread, and I'm working on how the data taken in the training room transfers into actual play. For example, three bucket stocks filled with Mario's fireball is 42% damage in the training room, but when taken in actual play, with stale moves taken into account, it reaches up to 46%.

Does this fit in to what SamuraiPanda mentioned a bit up about the rounding of damage?

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I would suggest going to the MK boards and seeing what characters they say are their worst matchups. I know for a fact that a good Snake should never lose against MK; thats one of Snake's easiest matchups (which is why Snake is often overestimated by people). As for stages, that really depends. Lylat is MK heaven, but other than that, there really isn't any advantageous stage for MK in the neutral list IMO. But like I said, go to the MK board and the board for your main for more info.

As for the training/stale damage... I honestly have no idea. I know that in the real game it was shown that you KO earlier than in training mode or something, but I'm not exactly sure on the details.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Hmm, I have a question.
Generally, whats a stage that you would typically counter pick when battling MK? For reference, I main G&W, and I don't know what stage I should choose if I wanted to get a slight advantage over one. Norfair is out of the question as even if it's good for me, its better for him.
Anything small, to help negate his advantage of having a huge recovery and to make him easy to kill off the top. But I play Olimar so I'd pick small stages like that against almost everyone. I could see small stages being a universal counterpick against MK though except for lighter characters with equal recovery and/or projectiles. I'd ask on the G+W boards what they counterpick against MK, and get a few different choices because they'd probably ban however many of them that the tournament allows you to ban.

Battlefield seems to be the most neutral stage in the game. Final Destination benefits campy characters and those with chaingrabs, and pretty much everything else has some kind of stage movement.

What's a great way to practice Spot dodging? I feel like If I can master that, and learn how to properly space my attacks, I have a chance of making an impact at a tournament level around my area. I'm so close I can just feel it.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm not sure if there's a way to practice spotdodging. You could always get a friend to be pit and use arrows or something. Go to training mode and try to avoid every move by a lvl 9 cpu or something. good luck.

FEJunkie

Smash Apprentice
I just can't get the timing of the DAC right.

Is there any way to help?
C-down to Z-up is the easiest way, but the timing of it is still a little tricky. You have to press Z-up within about a 1/3 of a second or so after C-down. The best way to practice it is to do it with Snake first until you get it fairly consistently and then try doing it on your main. Just remember that the timing has to be more precise with a non-Snake character.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
What's a great way to practice Spot dodging? I feel like If I can master that, and learn how to properly space my attacks, I have a chance of making an impact at a tournament level around my area. I'm so close I can just feel it.
I dunno. I naturally got good at spotdodging because I had a friend who played with me in Melee constantly that loved grabbing with Mario. The only counter to grabs on the ground is spotdodging. Now I spotdodge all the time, especially for early approaches to punish something that normally is hard to punish. Although I pay for it in the end when my opponent baits me or uses a stupid multi-hit attack that breaks spotdodges :/

I just can't get the timing of the DAC right.

Is there any way to help?
Use Snake. Easy as hell with him.

how many stocks do you play with panda
3. Although I hope in a few months the community will get good enough at Brawl to bump it back up to 4. We'll see if that happens, though.

DMK.

Smash Journeyman
How do you tech? I can't find it in the AT thread - all I know is it's a way to reduce your momentum after being hit by an attack.

Also, is there any way to practice teching by myself or do I have to just try to practice it while playing others?

Is the proper way to DI always to hold the stick in the opposite direction of your momentum when hit offstage, and in the desired direction when I'm say, trapped in a jab lock? I don't really understand how DI is supposed to work, as I don't feel a difference a lot of the time.

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
Eh, I may as well ask. The other topic was closed, so I'd like to hear your opinion on this, Panda. How many mains are advisable when it comes to being competitive?

FEJunkie

Smash Apprentice
How do you tech? I can't find it in the AT thread - all I know is it's a way to reduce your momentum after being hit by an attack.
You press the shield button when you hit the ground or a wall. If you try to tech too early you won't be able to attempt a tech again for a few frames.

Also, is there any way to practice teching by myself or do I have to just try to practice it while playing others?
Best way is actually playing matches, whether it be a CPU or a human, and making sure to take every opportunity you have to practice teching.

Is the proper way to DI always to hold the stick in the opposite direction of your momentum when hit offstage, and in the desired direction when I'm say, trapped in a jab lock? I don't really understand how DI is supposed to work, as I don't feel a difference a lot of the time.
The best way to DI generally varies depending on the situation, but in most cases you want to DI perpendicular to the direction your sent flying (ex: you are sent flying to the right so you'll want to DI up). As for a jab lock you should DI up and away from the person doing it (you'll want to repeatedly tap the control stick here), although you prolly won't be able to get out if they have the lock down perfectly.

W-A-T

Smash Rookie
might be a dumb question,

i cant seem to consistently jump low, to get a quick aireal attack, does it just take control, or is there a special technique to do so

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom