• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some advice or have a question about something? Ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

XienZo

Smash Lord
most people use X or Y, which is easier to shor hop with. Either way, youo have to let go before the character actually leaves the ground.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
In officially sancioned tournaments, are there any safeguards in place to stop unfortunately timed trips from ruining a match?

I know in my school's tournament, an unlucky game and watch tripped into my lightning kick and it put him at an unnecessarily huge disadvantage.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
In officially sancioned tournaments, are there any safeguards in place to stop unfortunately timed trips from ruining a match?

I know in my school's tournament, an unlucky game and watch tripped into my lightning kick and it put him at an unnecessarily huge disadvantage.
No. And honestly there probably won't ever be. Unfortunately, tripping is part of the game. Both players are vulnerable to it, and there are actually ways around it. Personally, when its down to the wire (i.e. one hit will decide it), I rarely run until I see an opening, and one of the many advantages is that I won't trip.

I've personally only lost one match to tripping. I was probably going to lose that match anyways (was a 2v1) but I didn't like it. I'll john about it all day but it doesn't mean that there should be a rule preventing it.

Eh, I may as well ask. The other topic was closed, so I'd like to hear your opinion on this, Panda. How many mains are advisable when it comes to being competitive?
That depends on you, the characters you want to main, and the kinds of tournaments you go to. Most people stick with a main and a secondary that is comparable in skill with their main. But if you were to, say, main and second Ness/Lucas, you might want to get a 3rd main that could handle someone like Marth. For example, I generally play Snake in tournaments (the only person in my area that does :p). Snake's worst enemies right now are Pikachu, ROB, and DeDeDe. Unfortunately, Anther, the best Pikachu right now, is a regular at every tournament I go to. And Overswarm, the best ROB right now, shows up every now and then. So obviously I'm pretty screwed when it comes to tournaments because beating those two would be quite the feat. So, when I have the time, I need to find a consistent second that I enjoy as much as Snake and still have skill with in order to play them. Because I'm definitely not going to win otherwise.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I've got a question because I play Zelda/Shiek and PT.

Assuming that I won the first match and that means that my foes get to counterpick against me, am I allowed to switch to shiek before the match or choose which pokemon goes first as sort of a counter-counterpick or do I have to wait until the match begins to transform (ZSS doesn't have the same problem becase of the way she is picked)

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
You're not allowed to switch characters (that would defeat the purpose of counterpicking) but I do believe you are allowed to switch which pokemon start off.
I'm aware of this... but Zelda/Shiek and all of PT's pokes are linked making them a special case... but, unlike Samus and ZSS, you can't be secretive about which one you pick.

acv

Smash Journeyman
what do you do to not be nervous at tournaments?

Stroupes

Smash Lord
I have a general question.
What's a good way of deciding who you should main?
I don't want to sound like I'm good enough to play as any character, but I can basically play every weight class, and I'm good with most characters.
I can't decide which character is right for me to main.
I've read some "Picking your Main" threads, but they don't seem to help.
For reference, I play somewhat defensively.
Any tips?

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
None of this counter-counterpicking is allowed for any character at all.
so if, for example, I choose Zelda and my foe picks Lucas as his counterpick, I need to wait for the match to begin to tranform into shiek?

TehBo49

Smash Ace
In an alternate universe, where Brawl does not suc
I don't want to sound like I'm good enough to play as any character, but I can basically play every weight class, and I'm good with most characters.
Any tips?
What else do prefer in a character? I can think of several characters that are defensive yet very different.

Stroupes

Smash Lord
What else do prefer in a character? I can think of several characters that are defensive yet very different.
I like characters that can basically interrupt my opponent's movement/attacks.
I mainly focus on how my opponent plays, and not me. So virtually, instead of playing to win, I play to make my opponent lose.
Or, to be blunt, I like projectiles.
:)

Ok, after playing with some of my Cousins who came here to visit today, I have one very big question. Which ****ing direction do you DI in with Pikachu gets you in his Dsmash. It sucks you in like a black hole. I tried DI both Right,Left, Down, Diagonal and even Double Stick DI.

Stroupes

Smash Lord
Ok, after playing with some of my Cousins who came here to visit today, I have one very big question. Which ****ing direction do you DI in with Pikachu gets you in his Dsmash. It sucks you in like a black hole. I tried DI both Right,Left, Down, Diagonal and even Double Stick DI.
What I do to avoid this, although you need to be VERY quick about it, is hit Pikachu once, preferably with the fastest attack you have, so it negates the lighting-rod effect of being super-powerful when it hits Pikachu.
Then...roll out of the way :laugh:

Jewdo

Smash Journeyman
If you're stuck in Pika's D-smash, Smash-DI each individual hit left, right, or up. Which direction you choose depends on which direction requires less distance to travel to escape the hit-box area. Double-Stick DI is not necessary, but may help. If done correctly, your joystick clicks should be in time with the rhythm of the D-smash's hits, and you will escape every time before the high-knock final hit.

This same thing works if you get stuck in Ness' PK Fire, Bowser/Charizard's Flame Breath, and the Battleship Halberd's laser cannon.

DKKountry

Smash Ace
Corneria... Fourth Planet of the Lylat System
What's a great way to practice Spot dodging? I feel like If I can master that, and learn how to properly space my attacks, I have a chance of making an impact at a tournament level around my area. I'm so close I can just feel it.
Try playing Boss Battle and spot-dodging as many of the boss's attacks as possible. Some of them happen pretty quick so it should get your fingers working just as quick after a while.
As far as learning *when* to spot-dodge when playing other people, all I can say is to just play with the fastest people that you know.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Are there any attacks in Brawl that have a hitbox which comes out in 1 frame? What attack?

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
I mainly focus on how my opponent plays, and not me. So virtually, instead of playing to win, I play to make my opponent lose.
So you like Falco and Wolf.

Are there any attacks in Brawl that have a hitbox which comes out in 1 frame? What attack?
I'm pretty sure the fastest is Fox's shine and I think that's frame 4... I'm not entirely sure. Sorry.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Yes. Otherwise it would defeat the point of counterpicking favoring the loser ^_^''
okay... I just know that, since you can do it secretly with ZSS and could do it secretly with shiek/zelda in melee, it might extend into brawl... I guess for PT you still have the option of being a random pokemon, but Zelda/Shiek doesn't have anything there.

Nestec

Smash Ace
I was playing online a couple days ago, against a Lucas, and he suddenly did a strange technique that I've never seen before: it looked similar to the Zapjump, but it was done while using PKT instead...O_O

Is this already a technique? 'Cause if so, I need to learn it!

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
why isn't IvanEva's chart stickied? It's not perfect *blah blah blah*...so? Neither are any of the tier lists people have proposed?

why isn't IvanEva's chart stickied? It's not perfect *blah blah blah*...so? Neither are any of the tier lists people have proposed?
Because to many, it seems to actually be getting WORSE.

We need more informed and better posters in that topic, not people who whine about how their main has so many disadvantages and make up crappy arguments.

tedward2000

Smash Champion
Do you like to play with a character whos attacks are either multihitting ones or one that's attacks is just one hit?

for example: Fox (multihit) or Lucario (single hit)

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
NSS-Does that even matter? If it's so bad, then the people who think it's getting worse need to contribute. They're being very hypocritical. That's why I'm trying to help out: to make it better. How do you think the melee matchup chart started out? Well, it's pretty darn good right now.

Any tips?
You just described Olimar, but try Zelda and Sonic too. They capitalize on their opponent's bad movements, they play defensively,(sonic somewhat) and Olimar and Zelda have projectiles. Wario can play defensively and he heavily relies on bad movements from his opponents. Try them.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
C-down to Z-up is the easiest way, but the timing of it is still a little tricky. You have to press Z-up within about a 1/3 of a second or so after C-down. The best way to practice it is to do it with Snake first until you get it fairly consistently and then try doing it on your main. Just remember that the timing has to be more precise with a non-Snake character.
Alright, thanks.
I'm trying this out w/Snake...but I thought it was up-Z? (up before Z)

-Ter

FEJunkie

Smash Apprentice
Alright, thanks.
I'm trying this out w/Snake...but I thought it was up-Z? (up before Z)

-Ter
Your basically using the Z button as the attack button(manually charged smashes) so your pretty much tapping up and pressing Z at the same time. Just remember that if you charge it(just hold Z) you'll slide a little farther(but not that much).

CR4SH

Smash Lord
I have trouble doing tilts consistantly, especially Ftilts. I tried sending them to the C-stick, but it always ends up making me jump at times I don't want to jump, dunno why. What should I do to make tilts a stronger part of my game?

ScubaF_ingSteve

I eat stickers all the time, dude!
NNID
ScubaSteve94
Well I have a lot of questions

What RAR and DI mean?

In tournament play how does the stage choosing take place, I know it involves something called counterpicking, but I don't understand it.

How can you smash boost better, I can smash boost here and there but its not reliable and takes many failed trying to work, is there a control scheme I can try or another way of pressing the controls? I try using dash > c-stick down > up on d-pad while pressing z, but its hard to do constantly. My current control scheme is normal with a few tweaks: The Left shoulder button is set to jump and X is set to grab. So can someone help?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well I have a lot of questions

What RAR and DI mean?

In tournament play how does the stage choosing take place, I know it involves something called counterpicking, but I don't understand it.

How can you smash boost better, I can smash boost here and there but its not reliable and takes many failed trying to work, is there a control scheme I can try or another way of pressing the controls? I try using dash > c-stick down > up on d-pad while pressing z, but its hard to do constantly. My current control scheme is normal with a few tweaks: The Left shoulder button is set to jump and X is set to grab. So can someone help?
RAR-an overly complex way to describe a pivot turned jump. (normally into a bair) Some characters like GaW have to use this technique of approaching b/c their bair is much better than their fair.

DI is a technique used to directionally influence the momentum of your character or your opponent's character after getting hit by an attack or dealing one. you simply move the control stick in the direction you want to get pulled. there are a couple techniques by which you can do this. search for them if you are interested.

Tournament stage selection-a neutral stage is selected at random from a couple of stages normally including smashville, battlefield, FD, and Yoshi's Island. The loser of the first round of a 3 match set selects a counterpick stage after his first loss to try and select a stage their character is good at or their opponent is bad at. The next fight is played on that stage, and this process continues until a player wins a majority of the matches.

As for boost smashing- I never use it cuz I use Olimar, sorry.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I have trouble doing tilts consistantly, especially Ftilts. I tried sending them to the C-stick, but it always ends up making me jump at times I don't want to jump, dunno why. What should I do to make tilts a stronger part of my game?
If you input too many tilts using the tilt stick in a short amount of time, you'll jump. I've found the jumping makes you less predictable... anyway, to circumvent that you just need to mix it up with normal control stick + A tilts. If you are doing multiple tilts in a row, tilt-stick the first one, then use the time your character takes to do the tilt to slip your fingers in the correct position for an A + control stick tilt.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
A-sticking (the name we use for mapping the C-stick to do tilts) will cause you to do jumps if you buffer a tilt from another tilt (meaning if you input the command for a second tilt before the first tilt has actually ended). In order to get good with tilts... well, first you have to turn off tap jump. After that, its just self control. Instead of smashing the control stick to the sides, you have to consciously slow yourself down. Its a habit you'll get into over time.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Not sure why you're asking, but I'm sticking with Snake for now in tournaments. He is a ton of fun, but I really enjoy the vast majority of the cast as well. I need to experiment and play more to see if Snake is the best balance between enjoyment and skill. I'm good with him, but I think I enjoy playing Wario more (although I suck with him). But because I'm actually good with Snake, the combination of enjoying playing and enjoying winning with Snake beats the enjoyment of just playing with Wario.

Although it seems like I experiment with a new character every few weeks. I played Ness for awhile, then moved onto Lucario, then had some fun with Diddy, and now I'm really enjoying Olimar. It took me 3 years to settle on maining Ganondorf in Melee, and I still played the majority of the cast as well. So I'm not to concerned with taking my time deciding a main or changing my mind at the drop of a hat. 'Cause in the end, I'm just having fun.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
I think the problem with picking a main in Brawl compared to Melee is that it is so much easier to be good with a character. I've reached a certain point with Falco already where I don't know much I can improve except for the obvious mindgames and spacing until hopefully some big AT comes out to change all that. That's why many people keep swapping around characters alot methinks

Negi-Kun

Smash Lord
I have a VERY tough time choosing a main in Melee. A do listen to the tier lists of course, though. I lean toward Falco and Marth a lot and occasionally Fox. But now with Brawl I main Snake and Ness. The funnest character for me to play as is Mario. Brawl is a lot floatier and I think that helped me choose my mains. Brawl will be advanced eventually. People will find things that will change peoples mains, the tier list, ect. Personally, I can't wait for the one thing that changes competitive gameplay for years.

ScubaF_ingSteve

I eat stickers all the time, dude!
NNID
ScubaSteve94

FEJunkie

Smash Apprentice
By D-pad I assume you mean control stick, and smash boosting is kinda tricky to get constantly. The best way to practice it is to use Snake, as his is the easiest(as well as most useful) to do. The other characters require stricter timing so your imputing the commands within about a fraction of a second, so it can be hard. Hitting your opponent with your dash attack increases the window you have to input up-Z.

Don't worry if you can't get if off 100% of time. I still have trouble doing it consistently with Falco :ohwell:.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom