• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some advice or have a question about something? Ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Yeah, I know where the search functions are. I'm not really new to smashboards though. I just started to get competitive in melee about a month before the announcement of brawl. I decided I wouldn't make an account until brawl came out though.

You must have really liked sonic to make that account that long ago eh? Is there a sight where you can get the userbars from?
There are some here and here.

FEJunkie

Smash Apprentice
what lvl cpu is best for practicing
CPUs aren't really great practice, but if you want to the best lvl would be 1-3. These lvls are the best because it allows you practice your spacing and techniques. CPUs at that lvl also have the closest reaction time to humans.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
In Melee, a meteor smash could be meteor canceled, whereas a spike could not. A Meteor Cancel is performed by jumping or using an up b after getting hit by a Meteor Attack. This cancels all of your momentum and moves you normally from your jump/up B.

Apparently, there are no meteor cancels in Brawl, only spikes. Any "cancel" that you see is a result of the lack of hitstun. Check the Brawl Physics thread for better information.

Izzy-B.E.Z-

Smash Rookie
Can soemoen gimme some advice with short hops, I see pros using short hop quik falls it looks like, I use the wiimote and nunchuck and its a pain to even do short hops

Ehh.....That would be pretty tough with a Wiimote and Nunchuck......

Can't help you there, I and pretty much almost everyone else uses the Gamecube controller.

Also, this brings up another question. Are there actually competitive players that DON'T use the Gamecube controller?

FEJunkie

Smash Apprentice
Can soemoen gimme some advice with short hops, I see pros using short hop quik falls it looks like, I use the wiimote and nunchuck and its a pain to even do short hops
I don't remember the defaults of that control scheme but I'd suggest turning tap jump off and using a button. I'd imagine the C button would work well but use whatever is comfortable for you.

Using a button helps because it helps reduce the chance that you'll full hop by accident.

Hybrid038

Smash Rookie
So a few friends want me to join this tournament, nothing offical.
I'm a pretty decent player, I'm a link user and I can usually beat computers when they're set to level 9, but there's this other player I know, she's a Pikachu user and I can't really beat her, she keeps out of my range and knows a plenty of tricks at most of the maps.
Pikachu is faster then Link and she can simple neutral B me, then finish me off with a smash, anyone got advice on how to keep her surpressed?

chckn

Smash Ace
Just curious if that stupid sonic stall under the stage should be banned in tourneys. I'm probably hosting one sometime next week and I feel that it is unfair because of the same reason as hyrule in melee. You do any damage at all and then go stall under the stage until time runs out. any suggestions?

FEJunkie

Smash Apprentice
Just curious if that stupid sonic stall under the stage should be banned in tourneys. I'm probably hosting one sometime next week and I feel that it is unfair because of the same reason as hyrule in melee. You do any damage at all and then go stall under the stage until time runs out. any suggestions?
Stalling was banned in Melee, so you can assume that stalling will be banned in Brawl. It's not that hard to point out purposeful stalling and it's not that hard to enforce.

ICANTCOUNT123456

Smash Journeyman
I need help against fast/lightweight characters. I dunno if my mains are slow heavyweights (R.O.B, Dedede, Ganon, and SOMETIMES Snake) I can do well against heavyweights (R.O.B's an exemption) but I CAN'T WIN against Metaknight, Pikachu, G&W etc. their attacks are hella fast.

any tips?

SanityCore

Smash Rookie
I need help being faster with characters. How do you play by attacking really quickly?

brentlouis

Smash Journeyman
i repeat i need help with spacing um i barely know anything about it, my mains are luigi and bowser

Grunt

Smash Master
i repeat i need help with spacing um i barely know anything about it, my mains are luigi and bowser
BOWSER: get a new main.

LUIGI: Fireballs and... i believe DSmash has great range.

I need help being faster with characters. How do you play by attacking really quickly?
Shorhopping is really your only choice now, since the removal of L-canceling.

I need help against fast/lightweight characters. I dunno if my mains are slow heavyweights (R.O.B, Dedede, Ganon, and SOMETIMES Snake) I can do well against heavyweights (R.O.B's an exemption) but I CAN'T WIN against Metaknight, Pikachu, G&W etc. their attacks are hella fast.

any tips?
Uh, main snake. not trying to be a "Brawl is so br0ken" guy here, but if you're semi good with him, try it out, since he can beat MK easy, and G&W cant bucket explosives.

Veng

Smash Ace
Im de-owning ness becaue of them and losing 2 tourneys because of D3.

Guys, ness is horrible I just realized about his being infinited

I honestly dont want to main him anymore and I plan on taking the next couple of weeks to learn a new character to the fullest.

What I was thinking was one of these three.
Wario
Pikachu
Zelda

Can anyone explain which one would be the best to devote my time into and which one would have the best results?

lethminite

Smash Apprentice
not sure if this is quite tactical, but was a similar question asked, so i'll give it a go.

i bought a cheep $15 3rd party gamecube/wii controller. it works fine, but has one small problem, (well, 2 but the other one is most likely me being stupid), the Dstick (direction stick, w/e it's called) sits at neutral, but a slight tap to the right makes it move left, and a light tap to the left is a medium tap left.
as in, it is off center, but when resting does not spam left.
it's perfectly usable for mariokart, was a pain to play LoZ windwaker (aiming hookshot was hard) and i'm not sure if it will be problematic for brawl (i intend to use wii+Nun, so would only be my friends).

the other problem is in melee, the Cstick doesn't work while ingame, but does tilt the menu, which is weird.

the question is, would it be worth my while to find out how to get official controllers, or will that one doo (i'm in AUS)

Kasai

Smash Journeyman
not sure if this is quite tactical, but was a similar question asked, so i'll give it a go.

i bought a cheep $15 3rd party gamecube/wii controller. it works fine, but has one small problem, (well, 2 but the other one is most likely me being stupid), the Dstick (direction stick, w/e it's called) sits at neutral, but a slight tap to the right makes it move left, and a light tap to the left is a medium tap left.
as in, it is off center, but when resting does not spam left.
it's perfectly usable for mariokart, was a pain to play LoZ windwaker (aiming hookshot was hard) and i'm not sure if it will be problematic for brawl (i intend to use wii+Nun, so would only be my friends).

the other problem is in melee, the Cstick doesn't work while ingame, but does tilt the menu, which is weird.

the question is, would it be worth my while to find out how to get official controllers, or will that one doo (i'm in AUS)
Umm, depending on how "into" the game your friends are going to be, it could definitely be problematic. Having a controller like that would disrupt tilts/smashes, aim on some upBs as well as attacks and jumping DI.

As far as the C stick is concerned. In melee, you could only use it in multi player, not in single player.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
@lethminite: Where in Aus do you live?

Either way, I would reccomend importing a new one through play-asia.com
Depending on your money situation/actual need for a new controller, this may not be for you.

But hey, someone might be able to help you out. Go post in the Australia forums : )

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
How do you bookmark threads? I mean like bookmark the link into my private notes or something.

lethminite

Smash Apprentice
@lethminite: Where in Aus do you live?

Either way, I would reccomend importing a new one through play-asia.com
Depending on your money situation/actual need for a new controller, this may not be for you.

But hey, someone might be able to help you out. Go post in the Australia forums : )
Melbourne.

@kasai, thanks, that seems really odd (cstick) but w/e

i'll probably leave it until someone actually complains, but i might try fixing it, if i can work out how it sits neutral but off center.

thanks for your help.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
@Skater Trainer:

Okay. DI is directional influence.

At its most basic level, when you are in the air, if you hold left or right, you will drift in that direction through the air.

Now when you are hit by an attack, if you 'smash' the control stick at the time you are hit by an attack, you can instantly DI at your character to slow the momentum the attack gives you as you are hit away. This is commonly reffered to as 'Smash DI'.

There is alot more to it than that. But if you can understand that much, you should be able to pick up the rest with your own research.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Does MK have invincibility frames at the beginning of his shuttle loop or is it just a combo of high priority and speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom