• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some advice or have a question about something? Ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tRoll King

Smash Cadet
^Nope, only moves that hit decay. Which includes, but is not limited to, shields, projectiles, and items (hit those and it decays).

CommanderCody08

Smash Apprentice
What causes you to drop someone when you grab them besides simply holding them for too long?
I've noticed that pushing grab again after you grab someone does it but is there anything else?

Also, at higher percents are you able to use more grab attacks without dropping the opponent than at lower percents?

YUNq PHR3$H

Smash Journeyman
i would say at higher percents because damage is highly up so they wont drop in time depending on the damage. Then again it could juss be the laws of physics xD

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's easier to dash dance with tap jump off. From there, you've just got to practice moving the control stick back and forth really fast. It takes time.

Why do you want to dash dance in Brawl? Tripping isn't fun.

What causes you to drop someone when you grab them besides simply holding them for too long?
I've noticed that pushing grab again after you grab someone does it but is there anything else?

Also, at higher percents are you able to use more grab attacks without dropping the opponent than at lower percents?
Inputting rotations of the control stick and mashing the buttons gets you out of a grab faster.

Pushing the grab button while holding someone will pummel the opponent.

The higher percent your opponent is at, the more pummels you can get in before they can break free.

El Raspa

Smash Apprentice
Which is the best method for practice Directional influence?

The pros never fails it?

Is it normal that a person (me) misses DI 80% of the time?

Regards!

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Which is the best method for practice Directional influence?

The pros never fails it?

Is it normal that a person (me) misses DI 80% of the time?

Regards!
This is probably one of the very few situations in which CPU's can help you get better.
Practice against them to learn DI. So, just let yourself get hit.

CommanderCody08

Smash Apprentice
How many frames per second does brawl have? How many frames does melee have?

I've heard sixty but that seems like a lot. I've also heard lower, like 20.

LinIsKorean

Smash Journeyman
What's the best way to practice ones shield game short of playing people?
Well, it depends on your character. If you have a lot of OoS attacks that you should be using, practice using them against a computer after your shield gets hit. If you mean simply getting powershielding down, that comes with practice and reflexes, all you can do is continue to play against computers and try to shield perfectly.

Cero

Smash Lord
Ummm... You can't shield during your initial dash frames if that's what you mean. And, I guess the reason you can't shield during this time is probably the same reason you can't shield while you're rolling an edge or charging up a smash. It's just part of the game...

... Grabbing the edge backwards still doesn't make sense to me. :dizzy:

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Does anyone else think that Falcon will move up on the next tier list?
He'd have to get himself an advantaged matchup first. As it is, as long as he doesn't even have a neutral I don't think it will happen.

Why do you have to wait X amount of time before you can shield after initiating a dash?
I'd imagine that if that this wasn't the case, running shields would be abused, and the game would change for the worse.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Well, the game is internally doing input-handling/physics computations/etc. "game engine" speed at 60fps (from what I've heard), but the display speed will be different and depend on your tv setup and w/e. NTSC tvs display 29.97 frames per second; the frame are interlaced, which means the screen redraws twice for each frame (odd scanlines, then even scanlines), so the actual display is drawing 29.97 x 2 = 59.94 fields per second which looks much smoother than simply redrawing 29.97 frames per second... but it's the same amount of data.

However, I think if you use the component cables to hook up a Wii to a digital tv, then Brawl can use 480p60 to actually deliver 60 frames per second display.... but that's entirely speculation, scotu should know better than I, so my whole response here is kinda more of a question than an answer I guess lol :)

Cero

Smash Lord
^^

... I'm sorry. My brain hurts now. Lol.
That post just ***** my mind. :laugh:

(Basically, you were just saying that your tv also has an effect on game speed too, correct?)

SCOTU

Smash Hero
well, your tv has to receive the signal and draw it, so yeah, it matters, but not very much. except PAL. Europe has lose smash because their shine comes out slower XD

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Both games run at 59.94 fps NTSC standard. For PAL, both games run at 50fps.
Unless you switch to PAL 60
In which case the game runs at 60hz.

Also I've played Melee and Brawl at 50hz
Brawl is almost bearable. Melee is downright awful.

Also. Posting on page 69.

Earthbound Zero

Smash Journeyman
Quick Question(s). :x

Is priority really that important? No boards seem to discuss it often, it just seems like it's out there.

How do you test the priority of moves? Just making 2 hitboxes hit each and see which outprioritizes the other? Does charging/% effect this?

SCOTU

Smash Hero
@ Vyse: didn't know there was a PAL60. Why didn't anyone tell me?

@Earthbound Zero (Mother 1?): Priority is extremely important. It's also not something you go out and test, because it's largely dependent on the position/size of the hitbox of your attack, in relation to your opponent's hurtbox and vice versa.

Cero

Smash Lord

Is priority really that important? No boards seem to discuss it often, it just seems like it's out there.

How do you test the priority of moves? Just making 2 hitboxes hit each and see which outprioritizes the other? Does charging/% effect this?
The problem is mixed uses of the word "priority". There is no true, formal definition of the word, in the context of Brawl. Moves don't have intrinsic "priority numbers" that determine if one attack "beats" another. Some interactions of hitboxes are resolved based on the amount of damage they are each capable of causing, but aside from that, priority is a perception, composed of a myriad of factors.

As Terios pointed out, most aerials have "transcendant priority", which means that overlapping an aerial hitbox against an opponent hitbox (of any type), the aerial is unaffected. Although, the opposing attack might not be; ex. Sonic's Fair can "beat" Zelda's fireball. However, this is not true of all aerials; Olimar's Pikmin are treated in some sense as projectiles, and can clash against opposing attacks.

Also there are some exceptional cases where things are just strange. Snake's mortar (as it rises and falls) can't be destroyed by any of MK's aerials, nor Ness' Fair, Charizard's Fair, or many other slashy or energy-ish attacks. But it seems kinda inconsistent.

Anyway sorry for boring details, ppl use the term "priority" to mean the speed with which hitboxes come out as well as their disjointedness, basically a relative impression of how often an attack lands instead of the opponent's, which usually comes down to just overlapping their hurtbox before yours does. But some clashes cause interesting dynamics as well which are related.

Hope that helps o_O
^^

Infzy went into detail about that a couple of pages ago.

TLDR: "Priority" can't be tested. Only hitbox size and frame data can. (bad at summaries :()

infomon

Smash Scientist

Priority isn complicated. Moves don't have built-in "priority numbers", there's no objective way to rank moves by their "priority", and the interaction of two moves can depend on timing, spacing, amount of charge, etc. which makes it difficult to compare. There are a myriad of factors that affect the perception of priority; that's what it comes down to mostly, a perception. Furthermore, Brawl's priority system has a lot of exceptions so it's hard to describe.

A quick run-down:

Ground-attacks (jabs, tilts, smashes, dash-attacks) tend to have a different priority mechanism than aerial attacks. Specials can be something of a mix.

Aerials are simple; they don't clash, ie. you can overlap an aerial hitbox with an opponent's hitbox (of any type afaik), and they'll have no effect on each other. In the air, it's just a game of overlapping your opponent's hurtbox with your hitbox before they can do the same to you. So the important "priority" factors are the speed at which your hitbox comes out, the lag afterwards, and the shape/disjointedness of your hitbox from your hurtbox. Afaik the only exception is Olimar's Pikmin, which can clash.

Ground attacks and many Specials can clash against opponent hitboxes. When I say "clash", I mean a blue-grey "clash bubble" appears, and you may hear a "clank" sound. A hitbox will clash against an opponent hitbox if the opponent's hitbox would cause within or more than 10% damage of your hitbox. If you would deal more than 10% of the opponent, your hitbox will ignore the offender and continue (but if they clash, you'll still have a hitlag delay and whatnot).

When you clash, your hitbox loses its ability to damage that opponent. For some attacks (mainly Specials), your attack will continue; if it's a multi-hit attack, the following "hits" are fresh hitboxes with a renewed ability to damage any opponent. (This is part of way MK's Tornado is so deadly; it's such a rapidly-hitting attack... you can stick G&W's turtle into the tornado, but the turtle hits less rapidly, so it just clashes against the tornado (thus becoming ineffective to damage MK), meanwhile the tornado's non-clashing hits can still harm G&W). However, upon a clash, many ground attacks (and some grounded Specials, including a grounded Tornado) will be "interrupted"; like your character very quickly "puts away" the attack, in a unique animation.

There's tons of exceptions though, like MK's grounded sword-attacks (jabs, tilts, smashes) have aerial-type priority so they don't clash... lol.... and stuff like heavy/super-armor, invincibility frames, etc. also contribute to the impression of priority.

Sorry for the long response, hope this helps...

Edit: oh holy crap, I'm such a broken record, someone posted my own reply to the same question, before I basically re-wrote it (in more depth? wth?) to answer the question. Gwaaaaaaaaaa why didn't I think of doing that!?!?

I fail at life... lol.

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
How do you DI out of:

MK's Tornado
Zelda's Usmash
TL's upB both grounded and aerial
Bowser's Dsmash
Marth's Dancing Blade
IC's Squall Hammer
Olimar's utilt/nair

I know these questions must've been asked a lot... sorry.

DaveL

Smash Rookie
hey guys, im quite new to the ssbb scene and i am trying to implement some new techs like wavedashing to my play. The problem is i am playing the game on a wiimote with nunchuck , and you guys keep talking about X,L and R buttons... lol. can anyone explain me how to do it and with a minimum of inside terms?

infomon

Smash Scientist
hey guys, im quite new to the ssbb scene and i am trying to implement some new techs like wavedashing to my play. The problem is i am playing the game on a wiimote with nunchuck , and you guys keep talking about X,L and R buttons... lol. can anyone explain me how to do it and with a minimum of inside terms?
LOL

Wavedashing doesn't exist in Brawl. That's the source of quite some controversy (Melee vs. Brawl), so I kind of hope you're just a joke post :laugh:

But in case not.... X is Jump, L and R are both Shield (which does an Airdodge in the air). If you're actually trying to wavedash (in Melee), you Jump then quickly Airdodge into the ground.

:054:

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Wavedashing isn't in Brawl which you must be talking about due to using the wiichuck.

In Melee it's done by airdodging into the ground. Note that when hitting Shield in the air you dodge. You can choose where that goes by moving the analog stick. Simply jump and quickly airdodge into the ground.

Screw you infzy

DaveL

Smash Rookie
Wow im sorry about that.... i see then why the word "hack"appeared in all the brawl wd posts. XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom