• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some advice or have a question about something? Ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chileno4Live

Smash Ace
NNID
Xyronith
3DS FC
0731-5336-4808
I got a question; How and wher can i train DI very good? I am trying to learn it and i can do it abit now but i need some pointers to improve my training :)

infomon

Smash Scientist
I got a question; How and wher can i train DI very good? I am trying to learn it and i can do it abit now but i need some pointers to improve my training :)
IMO here's how to learn:
1. First learn how to SDI. Practice in Training mode, 1/2 speed, with smart bombs. Just drop one, and practice three things: SDI with the control stick, SDI with the C-stick, and quartercircle-DI the control stick (just rotate it around). Just to get a feel for the general mobility of SDI and how to do it best.
2. Start conditioning yourself to SDI from really laggy or multi-hit attacks in matches. Find a Dsmash-spammy Pikachu, or get a Snake to use Nair on you a bunch. These moves are easy to escape with SDI before the final hit that has all the knockback.
3. Once you're conditioned to SDI, just start SDI'ing any hitlaggy attack :)

Now that you have SDI instincts, regular DI is easier; since you'll be moving the control stick during hitlag, you'll already start to notice the effect this will have on your final trajectory. Just notice where you're aiming the control stick as you go flying away, and condition yourself to hit that direction as you go flying off. It's easier to take a few killmoves from some familiar matchups, experiment in training mode to find the best direction to DI them, then condition yourself for those moves. Then you'll find it easier to start DI'ing lots of stuff.

That's just my opinion tho, others might disagree *shrug*

Tenki

Smash Hero
@normal DI training:

if you wanna 'cheat' at it, just practice holding up+towards after most moves near your opponent (this way, it conditions you to DI up+towards your opponent in case they hit you after you miss)

You can also try holding down/away, which lets you escape juggles earlier.

The general rule is - if you're being juggled by something, DI down/away (for most moves, it makes you fly more horizontally, so your opponent will have to chase you more. If you're DIing a kill/gimp move, DI up/towards, because it will make you fly at a higher angle, making it easier to recover and giving you more airtime.

Once you start learning matchups better, you can adapt your DI to their moves - so if MK's juggling you, you DI downwards/away. If you get hit by an upwards-killing move, you DI to the side. If you get hit by a sideways killing move, you DI upwards and towards the stage, or if it's almost completely horizontal-sending, you can try DIing downwards and teching the stage, etc.

Snare

Smash Lord
I've got one, what are the reasons behind glide-tossing. Yes, when you throw the item your momentum gets carried over from the roll and depending on when you throw the item, traction, and roll distance/time you go a certain distance. What I'm wondering is why does a roll gets canceled by an item throw? Also why is it that some characters just can't glide-toss at all, if all a glide-toss is doing is canceling a roll with an item throw?

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
So, an odd thing happened to me a few days ago concerning Final Smashes. Maybe one of you has an explanation?

In a nut shell:

Ness, Light Arrow from Zelda, zero knockback.

It was on a custom stage shaped like a box. What happened?

tRoll King

Smash Cadet
Another quick question, I see a lot of people do this thing where it almost looks like they're jumping while on the ledge straight into an aerial. How do you do this? Do they press back, then jump and use the aerial really quickly?

brinboy789

Smash Champion
Another quick question, I see a lot of people do this thing where it almost looks like they're jumping while on the ledge straight into an aerial. How do you do this? Do they press back, then jump and use the aerial really quickly?
do you mean ledge hopping? well its as simple as it sounds, just hold onto edge, drop, and then FF into the aerial

tRoll King

Smash Cadet
I suppose that's what I'm trying to say, but I'm not sure <_< It's as if they jump straight from the ledge onto the platform while doin' an aerial... Not sure if I'm explaining it right. Ty if you did answer my question, though.

brinboy789

Smash Champion
I suppose that's what I'm trying to say, but I'm not sure <_< It's as if they jump straight from the ledge onto the platform while doin' an aerial... Not sure if I'm explaining it right. Ty if you did answer my question, though.
so theyre on the ledge and then immediately came up and used an aerial right? thats ledge hopping, which i explained above

Scott!

Smash Lord
I see a lot of people refer to aerials having priority in talking about someone's moves having high priority. And then there are other people who say that aerials don't have any priority; it's just a matter of timing. Which is it? Do Aerials have priority, or not? I'd just like to get a straight answer, since I hear both sides a lot, yet no debate on it.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
I see a lot of people refer to aerials having priority in talking about someone's moves having high priority. And then there are other people who say that aerials don't have any priority; it's just a matter of timing. Which is it? Do Aerials have priority, or not? I'd just like to get a straight answer, since I hear both sides a lot, yet no debate on it.
Whoevers hitbox hits the others hurtbox first gets to do damage. Timing can influence this but that's the bottom line. Aerial "priority"itself doesn't exist in the way you'd think based off the term.

Say Marth fairs a jigglypuff who's using nair. Since fair is a disjointed hitbox it will hit Jiggs hurtbox since Marth doesn't even have to put his hurtbox in Jiggs range.

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
Can someone explain why HDTVs/Widescreens lag? :( and is there anyway to fix it?
I've known that they lag for awhile and I'd like to know why and if there is anyway to fix it b4
I just go out and buy a regular TV :p

tRoll King

Smash Cadet
It's possible that playing games in HD with widescreen on requires more information to be transferred (especially if it's progressive scan), but at the same rate, causing lag. Not to mention the Wii wasn't designed with HD necessarily in mind, hence it only supports 480i/480p. This is only my guess, as I'm not that heavy into how T.V.'s work. So, more than likely.... I'm wrong.

infomon

Smash Scientist
The problem is mixed uses of the word "priority". There is no true, formal definition of the word, in the context of Brawl. Moves don't have intrinsic "priority numbers" that determine if one attack "beats" another. Some interactions of hitboxes are resolved based on the amount of damage they are each capable of causing, but aside from that, priority is a perception, composed of a myriad of factors.

As Terios pointed out, most aerials have "transcendant priority", which means that overlapping an aerial hitbox against an opponent hitbox (of any type), the aerial is unaffected. Although, the opposing attack might not be; ex. Sonic's Fair can "beat" Zelda's fireball. However, this is not true of all aerials; Olimar's Pikmin are treated in some sense as projectiles, and can clash against opposing attacks.

Also there are some exceptional cases where things are just strange. Snake's mortar (as it rises and falls) can't be destroyed by any of MK's aerials, nor Ness' Fair, Charizard's Fair, or many other slashy or energy-ish attacks. But it seems kinda inconsistent.

Anyway sorry for boring details, ppl use the term "priority" to mean the speed with which hitboxes come out as well as their disjointedness, basically a relative impression of how often an attack lands instead of the opponent's, which usually comes down to just overlapping their hurtbox before yours does. But some clashes cause interesting dynamics as well which are related.

Hope that helps o_O

Can someone explain why HDTVs/Widescreens lag? :( and is there anyway to fix it?
I've known that they lag for awhile and I'd like to know why and if there is anyway to fix it b4
I just go out and buy a regular TV :p
I've heard that this lag is very minimal and/or nonexistent on modern HDTVs. If I understand correctly, the lag is because, while analog TVs are just shooting the incoming signal to the TV screen as it comes (albeit in interlaced fields, at a specific frequency down the screen)... with LCD TVs afaik it has to buffer a whole field into memory, then sometimes apply effects (colourizing and w/e else), then redraw all the pixels (all at once). I think it's the buffering and effects / "processing" part that gave LCDs the bad rep, since the pixels shouldn't be noticeably lagging I don't think... and afaik this is why most new TVs even have a "game mode" in their display options that tells it not to do any of the image processing to eliminate potential lag.

I'm no TV expert tho...

Snare

Smash Lord
I've got one, what are the reasons behind glide-tossing. Yes, when you throw the item your momentum gets carried over from the roll and depending on when you throw the item, traction, and roll distance/time you go a certain distance. What I'm wondering is why does a roll gets canceled by an item throw? Also why is it that some characters just can't glide-toss at all, if all a glide-toss is doing is canceling a roll with an item throw?
???

10ATquestions

infomon

Smash Scientist
You're asking "why"....... I think you'd have to ask Sakurai, and if we were able to do so, there are more important things we'd be asking him first :)

Scott!

Smash Lord
The problem is mixed uses of the word "priority". There is no true, formal definition of the word, in the context of Brawl. Moves don't have intrinsic "priority numbers" that determine if one attack "beats" another. Some interactions of hitboxes are resolved based on the amount of damage they are each capable of causing, but aside from that, priority is a perception, composed of a myriad of factors.

As Terios pointed out, most aerials have "transcendant priority", which means that overlapping an aerial hitbox against an opponent hitbox (of any type), the aerial is unaffected. Although, the opposing attack might not be; ex. Sonic's Fair can "beat" Zelda's fireball. However, this is not true of all aerials; Olimar's Pikmin are treated in some sense as projectiles, and can clash against opposing attacks.

Also there are some exceptional cases where things are just strange. Snake's mortar (as it rises and falls) can't be destroyed by any of MK's aerials, nor Ness' Fair, Charizard's Fair, or many other slashy or energy-ish attacks. But it seems kinda inconsistent.

Anyway sorry for boring details, ppl use the term "priority" to mean the speed with which hitboxes come out as well as their disjointedness, basically a relative impression of how often an attack lands instead of the opponent's, which usually comes down to just overlapping their hurtbox before yours does. But some clashes cause interesting dynamics as well which are related.

Hope that helps o_O
Thanks, that was actually helpful. It's a bit of a tricky subject, it seems, since everyone seems to have their own idea of what priority is, and yet people can talk about how so and so has bad priority on their moves. Though, it is a bit surprising there hasn't been a definitive meaning set for what priority is yet, considering how often it is referred to.

Rambo Hayabusa

Smash Apprentice
Controller related: I find my nunchuk having a much easier time tilting for utilt and such as opposed to my wavebird... I'm wondering if there is supposed to be a difference in the sensitivities of the two controllers or if I'm just in need of a new GC controller, any help?

And also do all Wavebirds operate at the lag inducing 2.4ghz or if its just a certain model (earlier or something)?

Marauder

Smash Journeyman
Sorry if this was already asked (lotta pages >_>) but, how do you wavebounce without the use of B-Sticking. Saw it in this video.

xxmoosexx

Smash Lord
Help with tourney rules. Im might start going to tournaments now that i have worked up some courage. But the problem is....how do i find out the rules????
Is there some thread that tells the Legal Tournament rules or sumthin?

infomon

Smash Scientist
What is the proper way to DI moves

After you get launched, that is

To survive longer
Careful.... After you get launched, directional input doesn't matter.
Just to be absolutely clear.... when you get hit by an attack, there's a small window of time in which you're frozen in place from the attack, that's called "hitlag". During hitlag you can move yourself around using the control stick and the c-stick.

Then you get sent flying away, in a state called hitstun. At that moment where you change from hitlag to hitstun, the direction on the control stick is your DI. After that moment you've started flying away, directional input has no effect; not until you get yourself out of hitstun.

You might've already known that, but just to make sure.....

The vid that brinboy posted is great, although it glosses over the dynamics a bit. For any hit, afaik there's a range of angles you can have the control stick for it to count as DI. I think it's generally anywhere between parallel to the knockback direction, and perpendicular to it, although there may be more to it. Anyway, for a move that sends you straight vertical, holding the control stick horizontally gives the DI the most effect possible, and you'll travel along (ideally) a 45 degree angle instead of a 90degree (straight vertical) one. However, this might not be what you want depending on the situation lol; if you're trying to survive, you generally want to be heading directly towards the stage corner, which might not be at a 45' angle to you or whatever. You really have to learn the knockback direction of all the moves used against you, and figure out which range of directions give you effective DI so you can try to survive in unique situations.

Sorry I'm verbose, but I hope this helps...

infomon

Smash Scientist
What would the tier lists look like if you were playing with 4 players in FFA mode?
Nobody knows, since that scenario isn't played competitively.

Would you be using stock matches, or time limit? The suspicion is that stock matches would become a game of avoiding-the-fight for as long as possible, and time matches would largely come down to camping safely, then kill-stealing. :)

Corrupted

Smash Journeyman
I sometimes have trouble using nair. instead, i get too hasty and want to move in a certain direction and perform a bair or fair. Does anyone have some tips to prevent this?

infomon

Smash Scientist
ehh.... not really.... just practice a ton. A good way is to play against level 3 CPUs, and just try to spam Nairs vs. Fairs/Bairs as much as possible, make sure you get what you intended. You'll adjust to the timing of releasing the control stick, hitting A, then hitting the control stick back how you want it after.

Corrupted

Smash Journeyman
ehh.... not really.... just practice a ton. A good way is to play against level 3 CPUs, and just try to spam Nairs vs. Fairs/Bairs as much as possible, make sure you get what you intended. You'll adjust to the timing of releasing the control stick, hitting A, then hitting the control stick back how you want it after.
okay thanks, i've been practicing for a hour or so now, and i've nailed it!

also, i often do smash attacks by accident when trying to tilt. is there a trick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom