• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some advice or have a question about something? Ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PowaStar

Smash Apprentice
Hope this makes sense...

I play online alott since I can't really go to any smash-fest so who are the best characters to use for online AND offline play?

I don't want to go to a tourney where character A does well in online but has a horrible time offline.

Thanks for replying in advance.

Deoxys

Smash Lord
I play online alott since I can't really go to any smash-fest so who are the best characters to use for online AND offline play?

I don't want to go to a tourney where character A does well in online but has a horrible time offline.

Thanks for replying in advance.
Snake. IDK who else.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Is there a comprehensive list of the best direction to DI through escape any move/lock that can be DI'd out of, or does someone have to start one?
Overswarm had started a project like this:
[Overswarm's get everyone better really freaking fast project]

Unfortunately, he stopped it when he got mad about Metaknight, and then for some stupid reason the thread was closed, barring any further conversation. OS said he might get back to the project if MK gets banned. Which was of course a petty scheme to further his Ban MK campaign, which (unfortunately IMO) seems to have failed anyway.

Albatraux

Smash Rookie
Can someone direct me to the basic "how to play" thread? I want to learn how you tourney***s play, so I can counter it; control schemes, button choices, everything.

XienZo

Smash Lord
Can someone direct me to the basic "how to play" thread? I want to learn how you tourney***s play, so I can counter it; control schemes, button choices, everything.
go to your character-specific board.

Learning how to Dragonic Reverse doesn't help Falco; each character has their own playstyle.

Razed

Smash Ace
Have any new/interesting/cool/fun techniques or glitches or special things been discovered in the past 6 months? I just started playing again, and I'd really appreciate an update.

brinboy789

Smash Champion
Have any new/interesting/cool/fun techniques or glitches or special things been discovered in the past 6 months? I just started playing again, and I'd really appreciate an update.
diddy single naner lock, MK not banned, uh...check the boards? i don use everyone lol

Can someone please explain what planking is.

And also explain buffering.
planking = hardcore ledge camping

buffering = umm, waiting/loading? lol where do you find this is smash?

infomon

Smash Scientist
Buffering is a system in Brawl whereby, you can input something with your controller before your character is ready to do it, but will remember to do so at the earliest possible time it can happen. For example, if you airdodge, there are frames before the end of the airdodge in which you can press Attack, and once the character's airdodge finishes they'll attack right afterwards.

Hope that's clear enough...

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
Where can I find a list of Dash Speeds of characters from fastest to slowest (or vice versa)?

Also, a list of Jump Height from best to worst?

A link, please... or whatever.

XienZo

Smash Lord
6 months?

You can check in the Vyse's AT guide, but I think DACUS and glidetossing are the only notable ones.

For interesting stuff, there's all kinds of weird useless stuff. They're also in Vyse's thread.

viparagon

Smash Ace
diddy single naner lock, MK not banned, uh...check the boards? i don use everyone lol

planking = hardcore ledge camping

buffering = umm, waiting/loading? lol where do you find this is smash?
LOL u post more than u read, huh brinboy?

buffering is when u input one move before another move animation has finished.

Cero

Smash Lord
^^

Nope. "Motormouth", as it was called, was disproven along time ago.
No action can speed up Wario's fart charge.

UT Smash Club

Smash Cadet
Diminishing Attacks

I know there's a big thread on it, but it didn't particularly answer my question, and if it WAS answered I wasn't about to go through many many pages of forum looking for it.

Do attacks get diminished based on if they are 'sweet-spotted' or not? For example, if Zelda's f-air hits but doesn't sweet-spot (causing wimpy damage and little to no knockback), will that diminish Zelda's f-air for when it does sweet-spot?

Sknil

Smash Rookie
Need some explaining on how to read match-ups. I've visited several match-up threads and I don't see anywhere explaining how to read them. Things like 40-60, I don't know who has the advantage. I guess others assume you should know, so that's why I came here. :]

Thanks.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
I know there's a big thread on it, but it didn't particularly answer my question, and if it WAS answered I wasn't about to go through many many pages of forum looking for it.

Do attacks get diminished based on if they are 'sweet-spotted' or not? For example, if Zelda's f-air hits but doesn't sweet-spot (causing wimpy damage and little to no knockback), will that diminish Zelda's f-air for when it does sweet-spot?
In your example, zelda's entire Fair would be diminished, not just the Sour Spot

Need some explaining on how to read match-ups. I've visited several match-up threads and I don't see anywhere explaining how to read them. Things like 40-60, I don't know who has the advantage. I guess others assume you should know, so that's why I came here. :]

Thanks.
I don't know what the numbers mean, some have said that it is the matches won out of 100, some say it is how hard the players have to work...

But you want the higher number on your character. 60-40 would be the 60's advantage.

Sknil

Smash Rookie
I don't know what the numbers mean, some have said that it is the matches won out of 100, some say it is how hard the players have to work...

But you want the higher number on your character. 60-40 would be the 60's advantage.
So is it general knowledge that the character's number of whom you are talking about is put first?

Let's say I am talking about a match-up between Ganondorf and King Dedede (30 and 70). Would I put the 30 before the 70 because he has the disadvantage? And assume I'm now talking about King Dedede's match-up against Ganon, would it now be 70-30?

Thanks anyways Phloat.

mdmfromdaridge

Smash Journeyman
I am unfortunate enough to not have people to play with for practice, I am trying to get ready for a tourny next week, and my unfortunate goal is going to have to be just place top 20. I try to practice with computers, but I already knows it not the same due to experiance from melee. I do remember a particular thread from the melee forum that said practicing on level 4 computers was better because you could practice your combos better. I know comboing isnt as large in brawl, but is there an equivelant idea when practicing with computers? I generally practice with level 9, but sometimes it seems like their reactions to things I am doing is almost.....in human. I dont want to walk into a tournament stuck in a computer mindset, I want to know what will work against human opponents at least. Could someone fill me in?

infomon

Smash Scientist
mdm: It is generally recommended to practice against level 3 or 4 CPUs, so that you learn mastery over your own character, as well as learning the timing/spacing for your attacks as well as the opponent chars. Like, you'll learn your Ftilt can outspace some other char's Ftilt, stuff like that. It is not recommended that you practice much against level 9s, since you'll adjust to bad habits of the CPUs, and leave yourself open in ways that humans will punish but CPUs won't.

I think fighting level 7s/8s/9s can be good practice as long as you're very aware of why it's a bad idea :) like, you can still learn some spacing and tactics, and how to deal with aggressive approaches. But it's always strange to fight a human Diddy or ROB, or pretty much anyone, after fighting the CPUs, since the whole playstyle is (usually) much different.

The level 9s do have absurd reflexes, both at power-shielding and for capitalizing on any lag frames you expose. Furthermore, any mindgame tricks don't work on them, since they just see when you're open and when you're not. lol

Cero

Smash Lord
^^

You can follow up a tech chase with just about anything that's fast enough.
Generally, it's a good idea to catch them and force them into another tech chase or set them up for a combo. But, if they're in killing percentages, just go for the kill.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
So is it general knowledge that the character's number of whom you are talking about is put first?

Let's say I am talking about a match-up between Ganondorf and King Dedede (30 and 70). Would I put the 30 before the 70 because he has the disadvantage? And assume I'm now talking about King Dedede's match-up against Ganon, would it now be 70-30?

Thanks anyways Phloat.
You put them in their respective order, normally. If Ganon is mentioned first, then his number should be first. Generally you will know just based on how the matchup is analyzed. Sometimes people post things like 90-10 Advantage Pikachu, which means the higher number would be pikachu.

No problem
I am unfortunate enough to not have people to play with for practice, I am trying to get ready for a tourny next week, and my unfortunate goal is going to have to be just place top 20. I try to practice with computers, but I already knows it not the same due to experiance from melee. I do remember a particular thread from the melee forum that said practicing on level 4 computers was better because you could practice your combos better. I know comboing isnt as large in brawl, but is there an equivelant idea when practicing with computers? I generally practice with level 9, but sometimes it seems like their reactions to things I am doing is almost.....in human. I dont want to walk into a tournament stuck in a computer mindset, I want to know what will work against human opponents at least. Could someone fill me in?
I find the melee experience really carries over well. Also, watch videos of how your character is played at his or her top level and try to emulate it. Obviously you should mix it up from that, but replicating the pros is almost impossible anyways.

Veng

Smash Ace
Is it possible to be good with Kirby?

I mean its a pink puff with arms, It doesnt have any like sword or advanced anything it just makes me wonder.

I play as him because im best with him, but ... you know what im saying?

Tenki

Smash Hero
Is it possible to be good with Kirby?

I mean its a pink puff with arms, It doesnt have any like sword or advanced anything it just makes me wonder.

I play as him because im best with him, but ... you know what im saying?
Of course it's possible to be good with Kirby. You can be 'good' with any character. And you can be a 'good player' regardless of character, as long as you're familiar with matchups and know how to use moves to bair and punish characters.

Raikou3322

Smash Cadet
NNID
Raikou3322
Ok so I have a capture card, everything is plugged in, everything I need to work it, and I have studio 12. I can record matches and the quality is good but there is no sound! Can someone help with the audio issue? :ohwell:

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
How important is stage counterpicking?

Just wanna hear some answers.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Ok so I have a capture card, everything is plugged in, everything I need to work it, and I have studio 12. I can record matches and the quality is good but there is no sound! Can someone help with the audio issue? :ohwell:
Check the sound connection? I assume your capture card doesn't have audio input, so the sound has to record through your computer's microphone / line-in port. Did you have the microphone volume up and unmuted for this? Can you record sound with a mic regardless of the capture card?

Just a guess...

IMO it depends on the character, as well as the player. Ice Climbers generally have a terrible time on Rainbow Cruise; Nana's AI gets really confused, they can't really use their tether recovery, etc. Of course a good player can thrive there, but they're just playing around many disadvantages that arise from the counterpick. Alternatively, Brinstar is said to be a great Sonic stage by some of the better Sonic mains, but I'm absolutely miserable at the place; due to my own inexperience and style.

*shrug* HTH.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion

I find it is very important with players of close skill, but don't expect a person that is ok at smash and a stage einstein to be able to beat even a good player.

Its also good to know what stages the opponent is crap on. If the other player plays ICs and you know you can't possibly beat him, even at Rainbow cruise, don't despair! Picking stages that are lame for other characters is a great method to make them choose a character they may be uncomfortable with.

So, yes it is a good skill to understand/be good at, but skill always overcomes stagepicking.

Also, personal knowledge really changes the process. You may know that a friend sucks somewhere, but not the strangers you see at tournaments so don't think that a character sucks there because your friend does, and don't expect to be able to figure out what stages the enemy is bad on in 3 games =]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom