• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some advice or have a question about something? Ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
According to the IC matchup thread, your best bet is to learn MK, GaW or Snake.. although I am pretty sure Hylain thinks otherwise. MK is always a safe bet.

always

Cero

Smash Lord
Dash Attack Canceled Up Smash

quoted from Vyse's thread:

- Boosting Technique: Smash-Boosting (a.k.a. Snake Dashing, etc)
How to Perform: Initiate a dash attack, then do an up-smash during the beginning of the dash attack animation. Timing differs for each character.
Various Methods: C-stick down to initiate dash attack, then Up+Z to do the up-smash; C-stick down, C-stick up; A-button, C-stick up.
Effect: Character slides an absurd distance while simultaneously performing an Up-smash. Up-smash can be charged. Distance traveled varies by character, but is more pronounced than the Jump-Canceled Up-Smash. Can be done with anybody, but the following characters benefit most from this: Jigglypuff, Sheik, Link, Wario, Snake, Falco and Wolf
demonstration video:

Re-Upload: Boost Smashing AKA Dash Attack Cancelled U-Smash
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7Q2gfVEf0k&feature=related

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
Wait how does Snake handle IC's, I can't see him doing anything except staying on platforms with c4's and hops against IC's. Can he pull grenades out during the chain grabs?

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Wait how does Snake handle IC's, I can't see him doing anything except staying on platforms with c4's and hops against IC's. Can he pull grenades out during the chain grabs?
I remember hearing about something like that. Otherwise, shield dropped grenades.

QUESTION!

Where's the new ruleset? It's supposed to be out in January. :mad:

Oddler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OddlerPro
Links fight Ice Climbers with nothing but one attack. Bombs bombs and more bombs.

It's funny because when I do that to them......they're like "Omg you don't actually play like this do you -_-" as I jump around the stage throwing bombs.

It's ironic because if they get a chance to grab me I'm sure they'll end it in a KO at 0% if they're half decent.

Gords

Smash Champion
ok i tried some searching and came up blank.

does anyone know if someone has done the frame data or an indepth look into brawls teching system? Or is it the same as it was in melee.

Also can someone direct me to an indepth tech thread for brawl if it exists, and similarlarly for a good indepth tech thread for melee as well.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
the timing window is the same for teching in brawl as in melee, except with a few differences.
You cannot tech during hitalg
You cannot SDI into a surface and have it "bounce" you if it would send you the other way.
You must press the button AFTER hitlag.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
It is a lot like his other matchups, the tried and true "space nades and F-tilt". What you want to do is make sure you are holding a grenade more often than usual. If you are holding one and you get CGed, you have a high chance of getting out. (IDK, some controller slot stuff might make it not work) but in general avoid using unsafe moves. SH- Dair on shield may be kewl, and dangerous, but not as dangerous as a well performed 0-death combo.

Gords

Smash Champion
the timing window is the same for teching in brawl as in melee, except with a few differences.
You cannot tech during hitalg
You cannot SDI into a surface and have it "bounce" you if it would send you the other way.
You must press the button AFTER hitlag.
And thread/source did younger this info from?

Spinach

Smash Rookie
Help! I'm looking for the tier list but don't know where to find it. I've tried searching for it to no avail. Can someone post a link or something? Thanks.

EDIT: Even though this is my first post and my main is MK, don't think I chose him because he is the best or whatever. I have planned on maining Meta Knight since the day he was announced on smashbros.com.

HntrDrizzt

Smash Rookie
I was just curious after reading the c-stick compendium if most advanced players just use the default control layout to play or if anyone chooses a different button mapping. If there are a few commonly used custom layout would you care to share? thanks :D

brinboy789

Smash Champion
I was just curious after reading the c-stick compendium if most advanced players just use the default control layout to play or if anyone chooses a different button mapping. If there are a few commonly used custom layout would you care to share? thanks :D
most people (if not all) use the standard layout for controls. the most someone will really tweak their controls is turn tap jump off. people generally dont change their control layout

Help! I'm looking for the tier list but don't know where to find it. I've tried searching for it to no avail. Can someone post a link or something? Thanks.

EDIT: Even though this is my first post and my main is MK, don't think I chose him because he is the best or whatever. I have planned on maining Meta Knight since the day he was announced on smashbros.com.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=214428

^ click

HntrDrizzt

Smash Rookie

http://www.smashbrosmelee.com/showthread.php?t=165954 link to character rankings

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
Here's something a bit etchy. I really do need this for a thread I'm going to write and I need something pretty detailed.

Define Mindgames.

Edit: a link to a thread would be just as good.

Schneeeulen

Smash Rookie
I have a lot of trouble with timing and spacing...is there anything in particular I can do to improve that, or is it just practice practice practice?

Cero

Smash Lord
Here's something a bit etchy. I really do need this for a thread I'm going to write and I need something pretty detailed.

Define Mindgames.

Edit: a link to a thread would be just as good.
Mind Games: One of the most misunderstood terms within the community. Mind games are first were used to describe a single trick used against an opponent, but have since come to describe how a player thinks during an entire match. The only real difference between the top level players in the country are their mind games, in other words, the level at which they think and predict their opponents. Mind games are essentially a synonym for the less used term metagaming.
quote taken from AlphaZealot's thread:

Wavedashing, L-cancelling, All The Terms! Read First! Update 12/23/2007
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=42749

Also, a link to an old thread by g-regulate that I was too lazy to read:

DA MINDGRAINES: an Overview of Mindgames<----a post the doesn't suck.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=54186

I have a lot of trouble with timing and spacing...is there anything in particular I can do to improve that, or is it just practice practice practice?
Practice, practice, practice. :)

metroid1117

Smash Master
Questions about move degeneration:

For jab combos, does each hit get it's own "count"? For example, if I hit with Ike's single jab 6 times and then hit with Ike's final jab combo hit (the sword swing), will the final jab combo hit be weaker?

If they do get their own count, then the following questions are relevant. If they don't, then only the bolded question is relevant.

If I'm Ike and I hold A to automatically do the jab combo and all three hits connect, does that count as one use for each move (jab, kick, and sword swing) or just one use for the single jab? Also, if I hold A to do the jab combo and my opponent DIs such that they get stuck in the combo (the slang is combat walking, I don't know if there is an official term for it; it happens at 0:07), does it count as only one use of the jab or does each hit count as one use?

streetracr77

Smash Journeyman
Question about the replay code for over 3 minutes. How do you get it? Do you have to hack your wii?

chaosscizzors

Smash Journeyman
every once in a while i initiate a glide with my pit on accident. i don't have tap jump on or anything like that i was just wondering how to glide with the control stick. do i just hold back on the stick or what? i can't figure it out and when i put glide into the search bar, too much stuff came up for me to even try to search through lol.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
@Streetracer: You can get it Here and yes you need to hack your wii.

every once in a while i initiate a glide with my pit on accident. i don't have tap jump on or anything like that i was just wondering how to glide with the control stick. do i just hold back on the stick or what? i can't figure it out and when i put glide into the search bar, too much stuff came up for me to even try to search through lol.
You hold the jump button you intiated glide with and you can control direction with the analog stick by moving it up or down.

chaosscizzors

Smash Journeyman
You hold the jump button you intiated glide with and you can control direction with the analog stick by moving it up or down.
weird, i could swear i let go of jump. =/
i'll take your word for it, i tend to do dumb little things like that all the time as-is lol.

CommanderCody08

Smash Apprentice
What exactly should I be able to pull off after I powershield a move?

Right now I really suck at punishing people when I hear that clink of a powershield. Judging from some other posts I've seen powersheilding sounds like a huge opportunity but I never make the best of it.

Maybe a better question is how do you guys take advantage of powershields.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Ah well with ZSS Dsmash is always an option, her jabs are quick and she could Ftilt into SideB at some percents IIRC.

Diddy could throw a naner, Dsmash if they're damaged, grab, Usmash.....

I don't play either of them so my ideas of their OoS options are limited.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Well... since no one seemed to see my question at the top of the page...

metroid1117 said:

For jab combos, does each hit get it's own "count"? For example, if I hit with Ike's single jab 6 times and then hit with Ike's final jab combo hit (the sword swing), will the final jab combo hit be weaker?

If they do get their own count, then the following questions are relevant. If they don't, then only the bolded question is relevant.

If I'm Ike and I hold A to automatically do the jab combo and all three hits connect, does that count as one use for each move (jab, kick, and sword swing) or just one use for the single jab? Also, if I hold A to do the jab combo and my opponent DIs such that they get stuck in the combo (the slang is combat walking, I don't know if there is an official term for it; it happens at 0:07), does it count as only one use of the jab or does each hit count as one use?
(Bah, what a way to use my 1000th post...)

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!

Sorry I missed it. ehem. Each hit gets its own counter and decay. that's why the dmaage for the full AAA combo has a range. You can test this oyurself btw, do a single hit jab, then do another. Then do the full AAA combo, and repeat.

SothE700k

Smash Lord
I have a question about grabbing issues.

If it will help, I use the gamecube controller.
For some reason, when I hit z to do a regular grab, I end up doing a shield. o_o Its extremely irritating because I botched a great set up for grabbing because my shield said, "HURR DURR, IMA GONNA COME OUT NOW WHEN YOU DON'T NEED ME AND WASTE YOUR TIME! HURR DURR!"

Why does that happen, and any way I can fix this or just use strictly shield grabbing to save the aggravation?

Cero

Smash Lord
Well, if you hold Z, the shield pops up after the grab. In Melee, this would be an easy way to bring up the light shield.
Anyway, you might just be accidentally buffering the shield after an aerial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom