• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some advice or have a question about something? Ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gao~

Smash Cadet
Sumthing i like to do against this is to use luigi, and as soon as i see the dins fire come out, i short hop and nair, which has more priority and stays out long so the opponenet will quickly learn that dins fire wont work anymore.
Meh, do what you want, if falco isnt working for you, just chop and change, thats what i did when i hit a dead end with olimar and now ive picked up 3 new characters that i have managed to bring out and do well with in tournament play. Picking up a new character will freshen up your matches with your opponents which will hopefully give you the edge again.

Edit: lol, i used to be that kind of Zelda, and I won the majority of my matches with my friends using spammy methods. Dont worry, they managed to find a way to beat me so u will be able to do it aswell, it will just take practice. And eventually, ur spammy friend will realise, like i did that doing that is not gonna win any matches and you will both benefit from the experience
wow thanks :) hmmm so luigi? looks far fetched.....i was thinking more along the lines as diddy but seing how zelda can reflect the main game which are bannanas i won't even bother so yea =/

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
In the never ending journey to better my game, I've found that almost every single game I play, there is something wrong with the ending of the match. Something just goes wrong with my playstyle, no matter how hard I try to mix it up, I can never land that last K.O.

After playing about eleven matches today, I won only one of them, even though I had the upper hand in the majority of the games. Something just stops working for me. None of my timing works anymore, even after I calm myself down after getting worked up about the prospect of winning. No matter my lead, even if it's a full two stocks, my wins in actual matches seem to just not happen.

So my question is simply thus: Is there any method, be it in the game or a mental... stablizer, so to speak, that works with any of you? I main Mario and Marth, and have a somewhat difficult time with both when scoring the K.O, even when spacing with Marth.

Lastly, these were wifi matches with yellow/orange connection, but many of my offline matches against people with real skill end much the same way. Upper hand, lose the upper hand, and despair. How do I get that last K.O?

infomon

Smash Scientist
^^ Actually, I find that a lot of Wi-Fi matches have that pattern, when the lag is strong (yellow/orange sounds about right >.>). You'll do well on the first few stocks, then start to wind down........ as the opponent adjusts to dealing with lag and the predictable patterns that have been working thus far in the match.

With that much lag, learn to predict where they're going to end up, and find ways to safely punish some choices they might make whereas you're out of range if they do something else. If you're spacing correctly with Marth but not killing, it sounds like you're not hitting them at all; because they're playing safer and with lag-prediction. You need to read them, because ordinary offline spacing/timing tactics are too risky. :urg:

I hope that helps sorta.

Edit: Oh I just noticed you said for offline matches too. If that's the case, you might be becoming too predictable since they know you're looking for a kill move. Try using that to your advantage; instead of predictably going for smashes, continue wracking damage since the knockback of weak hits may still be enough to put them in a bad position. Fight for setups, not a kill-move. Just a thought.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Are your opponents a good deal better than you? I know for a fact that when I play against an opponent that is not as good, he can quickly get the upper hand, but I normally come back (if I am indeed better.)

Another thing you could do is not go for kills. If as soon as they are in the killing range you start spamming smashes, you shouldn't really land one. Keep racking up damage, LOOK AT THE OPPONENT NOT YOURSELF, and watch for opportunities.

In brawl, landing a kill move can sometimes be very difficult. This goes both ways, if you can't kill them at that moment, don't put yourself in danger just to get a slightly better chance. Stay safe and look for a safer opportunity.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Another thing you could do is not go for kills. If as soon as they are in the killing range you start spamming smashes, you shouldn't really land one. Keep racking up damage, LOOK AT THE OPPONENT NOT YOURSELF, and watch for opportunities.
This is what I must be doing when I try and calm myself down after gaining the upper hand. I'm looking at my character and my percentage. It seems ridiculous now. Anyway, thanks, you very well might of helped me win these matches.

Papero

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Paperio
I seem to use too many different people.

I mainly use Mario, Luigi, Wario, Bowser, Dedede, Yoshi, Pikachu, G&W, Kirby, Ness, Toon Link, and occasionally Olimar.

Should I remain with this group for diversity or concentrate on a selective few?

infomon

Smash Scientist
Playing lotsa chars is very fun, but probably to your detriment. When you get to a tourney, you'll have to choose the chars you're actually willing to fight with, and you'll want those few to be as able as possible. Also you might be spending too much energy adjusting to each character rather than developing the fundamentals; SDI / DI + momentum-cancelling habits, baiting / prediction / punishment, etc..... it really helps to know your character so well that you aren't even watching your character, you're just watching the opponent (and their percentage). And of course any char-specific ATs / strategies help, and you get to explore how those work vs. each possible opponent you may face.

HTH.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
I seem to use too many different people.

I mainly use Mario, Luigi, Wario, Bowser, Dedede, Yoshi, Pikachu, G&W, Kirby, Ness, Toon Link, and occasionally Olimar.

Should I remain with this group for diversity or concentrate on a selective few?
Normally, it would be in your advantage to pick the two of those that work the best together. This is the best choice most of the time. We do see exceptional players like Hylain (**** CoT4 seeding, he is better than that >=[) playing many characters. But most of the time they have a "main" they are best with. Except NL.

Papero

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Paperio
Thanks.

I really need to work in character match-ups as well. Learning character techniques and combos isn't the hard thing, but rather applying into a suitable situation is the barricade for me.

I may as well practice each of my regular characters individually until I find which characters works best in the matchups. Now all I need are some good offline opponents.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
You can struggle out of a grab by rotating the control and C-stick and mashing on the A, B, X, Y buttons.
you should tell him what air release is because i sure dont understand it.

i feel abashed to admit that

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Note: for an input of the cstick to count towards grab breakout, you need to recenter it between each direction, so mashing it back and forth is most effective.

An "Air Break" is when you break out of the grab at an upward and away trajectory into the air. It is done either when the grabee hits jump while trying to struggle out or when the grabee's feet are not touchinng the ground when they break out, and they are not being grab hit when they break out. So Logically, it's like (F || J) && !H where F is "feet touching ground", J is "Pressed a jump input while struggling, and H is "not being hit while grab breaking".

Gao~

Smash Cadet
In the never ending journey to better my game, I've found that almost every single game I play, there is something wrong with the ending of the match. Something just goes wrong with my playstyle, no matter how hard I try to mix it up, I can never land that last K.O.

After playing about eleven matches today, I won only one of them, even though I had the upper hand in the majority of the games. Something just stops working for me. None of my timing works anymore, even after I calm myself down after getting worked up about the prospect of winning. No matter my lead, even if it's a full two stocks, my wins in actual matches seem to just not happen.

So my question is simply thus: Is there any method, be it in the game or a mental... stablizer, so to speak, that works with any of you? I main Mario and Marth, and have a somewhat difficult time with both when scoring the K.O, even when spacing with Marth.

Lastly, these were wifi matches with yellow/orange connection, but many of my offline matches against people with real skill end much the same way. Upper hand, lose the upper hand, and despair. How do I get that last K.O?

i also have this exact problem, except they are NOT online matches....is there a way to be mentally fresh, relaxed, in other words...PATIENT? how can i better my self in that matter? thanks in advance

ftl

Smash Journeyman
Look at the character boards for your character, see what the matchup thread says.

Look at the character boards for your friend's space animal character, see what they say about their matchup with your character.

Gao~

Smash Cadet
Look at the character boards for your character, see what the matchup thread says.

Look at the character boards for your friend's space animal character, see what they say about their matchup with your character.
he virtually does it with every character he has more than one

POKE40

Smash Lord

Frown

poekmon
question 1: Can the color of your character cause psychological differences in battle against your opponent?
Example: Red can evoke a fight-or-flight response, raise blood pressure and make the heart beat faster.

question 2, would this be a good thread or worthy of lock?
1. The only instance I've experienced is G&W's cyan colour on a dark background. I find it annoying to look at him.

2. Nah.

lol, post 1337

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
question 1: Can the color of your character cause psychological differences in battle against your opponent?
Example: Red can evoke a fight-or-flight response, raise blood pressure and make the heart beat faster.

question 2, would this be a good thread or worthy of lock?

question 3: Would someone post the Japan Tier List? NVM:
http://www.zeldauniverse.net/forums/spinoffs-cameos/86483-japanese-brawl-tier-list.html
1.I am sure it exists, but not really worth fighting for. Or researching. Or relying on.

2. What? you mean the color thing? No, not really.

Bakithi

Smash Apprentice
Okay, I have a question.

My friend keeps claiming that I'm predictable, and that I don't "think" while I'm Brawling. He claims that he's starting to predict my attack patterns, and that if I keep playing like that, I'll never get better. So, how do I become a more tactical and, more importantly, unpredictable Smasher?

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Think ahead. The key to brawl is prediction and reading your opponent. Even the most power techniques can be beaten if they're opponent is thinking better than their other opponent.

But remember, think better not more. Don't think of random tactics you can use for the hell of it, think of techniques to use that are best in that certain situation.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Okay, I have a question.

My friend keeps claiming that I'm predictable, and that I don't "think" while I'm Brawling. He claims that he's starting to predict my attack patterns, and that if I keep playing like that, I'll never get better. So, how do I become a more tactical and, more importantly, unpredictable Smasher?
watch only your opponent. There's no need to watch your character, so don't. I'm assuming you still do because you're having this issue.

Ugg

Smash Champion
I have a question.
Are there any notable 2v2 team combinations (friendly fire on obviously) that would work really well? Please don't give me an MK/MK or Snake/MK etc.
I've heard of G&W/ZSS before, G&W just buckets her downsmash for a 1 hit-ko Oil Panic
Any other notable team stratagies or just **** teams?

CommanderCody08

Smash Apprentice
I have a question.
Are there any notable 2v2 team combinations (friendly fire on obviously) that would work really well? Please don't give me an MK/MK or Snake/MK etc.
I've heard of G&W/ZSS before, G&W just buckets her downsmash for a 1 hit-ko Oil Panic
Any other notable team stratagies or just **** teams?
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=216523&highlight=team

This thread might help. You'll want to read past the first page probably.

Bakithi

Smash Apprentice
watch only your opponent. There's no need to watch your character, so don't. I'm assuming you still do because you're having this issue.
Wow. He tells me the same thing.

Well, I don't really know how to go about suddenly becoming a tactical Brawler. My friends simply say the key is mindgames, but I'm in dire need of elaboration...

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Wow. He tells me the same thing.

Well, I don't really know how to go about suddenly becoming a tactical Brawler. My friends simply say the key is mindgames, but I'm in dire need of elaboration...
Just avoid predictability at all costs. A good player will pick up on your consistencies quickly in a match, and punish you bad.

Bakithi

Smash Apprentice
Hmmm... simplistic approach, but hey, it works. My friend says something similar... he quoted the great Isai, telling me simply "don't get hit."

Yes, wisdom of a God, I know.

Anyway, thanks... I'll apply your advice the best I can. Greatly appreciated, my fellow Smashaz...

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Okay I have a few questions ;

Wallteching; Well I seen one match where Ally was about below the FD stage but he used a c4, DI'd towards the underside of FD and wall teched jumped and survived. How do you wall tech? Is it just consistently button mashing L and/or R OR is it just pure timing when you have to do it? When it's timing, then I can imagine people like Forward and DSF in melee with their godsent teching skill. Also how do you wall tech jump?

Next question : when you want to DI somewhere like let's say Mario's Dthrow and you want to DI towards the left, do you consistently repeatedly tap the control stick to what ever desired direction? or do you hold the control stick to any desired direction?.

Last question : Any advice on how to improve on button mashing? lol :/ I need to button mash like a beast for luigi's tornado w/o using the second jump. ;D

thanks.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Okay I have a few questions ;

Wallteching; Well I seen one match where Ally was about below the FD stage but he used a c4, DI'd towards the underside of FD and wall teched jumped and survived. How do you wall tech? Is it just consistently button mashing L and/or R OR is it just pure timing when you have to do it? When it's timing, then I can imagine people like Forward and DSF in melee with their godsent teching skill. Also how do you wall tech jump?
Just press your teching button of choice ONCE after being hit, before hitting the wall.

Next question : when you want to DI somewhere like let's say Mario's Dthrow and you want to DI towards the left, do you consistently repeatedly tap the control stick to what ever desired direction? or do you hold the control stick to any desired direction?.
You just hold the control stick while being hit/thrown, before you're sent flying. no timing required.

More info: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=155409

Last question : Any advice on how to improve on button mashing? lol :/ I need to button mash like a beast for luigi's tornado w/o using the second jump. ;D

thanks.
Play Melty Blood.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Well might as well ask here since I want to keep low on the threads lol.

Question : How do fight against a ike MOSTLY because of his jab? Literally, when I'm up close I know I'm expecting a jab combo, but i still get hit by it. Any way to fight against his jab? Also his Fair too please D:. As a luigi and mario player I get ***** by its long range ness.

Next question : Pretty straightforward always ask question, any way agaisnt the Mk's tornado? >.<.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom