• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NC-Echo's Olimar guide *New videos added

Status
Not open for further replies.

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
g&w is incredibly hard to beat, not impossible though

the first good g&w i had to play was azn lep's and man was he scary good. he seriously tech chased me for like 2 minutes
Isn't Game and Watch the most improved character? I never thought highly of him in Melee, but he packs quite a punch in Brawl.

Mr. Spam & Death

Smash Rookie
I feel like I have something to add to Olimars recovery Section. Yesterday, I was playing against my friend, I was Olimar and he was ganondorf. So I was at about 60% damage when he hit me off the stage and d-aired me. Now if you do your up-b right after a spike it can save you from being pwnd. I think its really cool that olimar can't be spiked like that and I was wonderinf if anyones figured this out yet.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
not trying to be an a**hole at all, just informing you so that you have a better understanding of the game...any move that spikes is called a Meteor Smash...you can do something called a Meteor Cancel, if you get spiked, by doing your upB after the spike starts to send you down [some spikes have tremendous hit lag, like Ganon's, so don't pretty upB as soon as you get hit]...also, if you haven't used your second jump yet, you can do that after getting spiked. And that's with EVERY character.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
I don't know. It seems to me Olimar has a special property when it comes to this, but maybe I'm wrong. Allow me to clarify a few things.

-A Meteor Smash can be Meteor Canceled after HALF of the hit stun has taken effect. You can "cancel" (hence Meteor Cancel) the other half of the hit stun.
-You can perform this cancel with a double jump or Up B.
-Like teching, if you try to Meteor Cancel too early then you can't Meteor Cancel again for a set amount of frames.
-However, if you hit Up on the control stick this does not count as Meteor Canceling so if you do it too early you won't get punished.

There you have it. So for those of us who are cool and have tap jump on just hit up on the control stick until you jump and pray.

Neb

Smash Lord
Isn't Game and Watch the most improved character? I never thought highly of him in Melee, but he packs quite a punch in Brawl.
G&W pwn's Olly horribly if played correctly, his techniques don't have an elemental affinity with the exception of Judge hammers and pan spike which has a fire nature; so they can all pretty much cause trouble for Olimar's army.

Jarri

Smash Journeyman
That's not true, I believe. I have had no significant problems with G&W yet and the ones I've played weren't bad players, at all. Most G&W's are so predictable and just punish stuff like dAir of with an fSmash or grab.

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
That's not true, I believe. I have had no significant problems with G&W yet and the ones I've played weren't bad players, at all. Most G&W's are so predictable and just punish stuff like dAir of with an fSmash or grab.
Heres my blanket opinion about all of Olimar's hard matchups: I think Olimar can win every match-up in this game if he's played correctly (save, maybe meta knight) but if you are easily blowing by these hard match-ups than you are not playing good enough/smart enough players.

Dotcom

Smash Lord
Heres my blanket opinion about all of Olimar's hard matchups: I think Olimar can win every match-up in this game if he's played correctly (save, maybe meta knight) but if you are easily blowing by these hard match-ups than you are not playing good enough/smart enough players.
QFT.

The supposed easiest matchups can be turned into supremely difficult ones if you are up against a goo denough player.
My friend's Pit is awesome. He came up with Pit's glide canceling and that alone is hard to deal with because of the mindgames that can come with it. I usually end up winiing but the matches are usually incredibly tense and difficult. This coming from a charachter that Crunch shouldn't have that much trouble with if you go by rankings and other posts scattered around the Crunch boards. So charachters do matter because face it, a Good Snake versus a Good DK and most of the time the Snake's gonna take the Win. But with a Smart DK player and a not so competent Snake, Dk might just end up ****** him.
G&W is a supremely difficult charcther for an Olly to go up against if your just killing the G&W without so much as batting an eyelash, that player isn't very good.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'd say GaW is a neutral, but yeah, Olimar can beat anyone but MK if the player is good enough.

IcyLight

Smash Lord
I'de like to add to the R.O.B section, or possibly give a suggestion for you to try. I was at a tournament recently and there was one R.O.B player who gave me immense trouble for being a rob against olimar, more than others. He was the campy type who sat back and spammed laser/top/etc. I was extremely annoyed at it and I decided to dodge all his attacks by camping the ledge. I strongly believe the situation against rob vs. olimar can be more easily victorious on our side by camping the ledge. The rob grew impatient very quickly (others after this match not so quick but they eventually came over.)

Camping on the ledge (NOT what olimar does) seemed to counter rob for me against every rob i've versed since. You can easily combo him through the stage with uair, etc. and be almost immediately safe from his attacks, as not many can hit you through the bottom of the stage so easily. The only thing i've had happen to me was him hugging the stage on me, but i've grown used to watching for it so it never happens again. I think a few of you guys should try this strategy so we can try to get the upper hand in the battle vs. R.O.B.

Let me know what you guys think, i've thought this strategy out well and it has flaws but not enough to cost an Olimar the match. It all comes down to watching him so he can't gimp you while you camp/harass and you being patient enough to stay there while you wait for him. It's a strategy that might only work because when was the last time you've seen an Olimar camp the ledge and not spam pikmin? ^_^

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Also, hold the top. He can't use his top if you have it. You can use any B move you want, in addition to dropping the top with Z at any time you want to do something else, or disposing of it in a creative way...

Dotcom

Smash Lord
Also, hold the top. He can't use his top if you have it. You can use any B move you want, in addition to dropping the top with Z at any time you want to do something else, or disposing of it in a creative way...
Like frigging hitting them with it. haha.

But seriously capming Robs can be dealt with by latching a lot. I found myself with ALL of my Pik on a rob at once and he frigging lost it. He didn't even bother to shake them off he just rushed at me. I get a blue in line and BThrowed him(so funny). but seriously against ROb don't go rushing in all reckless keep your distance for some of the time but, wheb you do go inside take it easy and just don't bullrush it trying to FSmash or USmash.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
IcyLight, I'm gonna add that stuff to the matchup thread. that ok?

Excellence

Smash Champion
Your advise for Falco is no help at all for me. The Falco I face keeps spamming lasers then Forward B'ing me to dash to the other side. On rare occasions I can hit him with forward smash in his forward b, but other than that theres really no stopping it. I need advise.

KMAY

Smash Apprentice
After hearing that Dsome people are having some problems with kirby, it got me thinking of some ways to counter a kirby or any other character that likes to jump up and come down on top of you with a dair. I know it can be frustrating as heck cause if you are like me you try to upsmash them and it does nothing. So I decided to try out what an uptilt will cancel out if anything, since upsmashes don't work. So i did some testing, nothing major just quick stuff. But here is what I got....

Kirby's Dair- Uptilt cancels it or outprioritizes it, if you mistime it and he still gets the dair on you just keep trying to uptilt because you can hit him right after and he can't get in a fsmash or dsmash
GW's Dair- Uptilt DOESN'T work! Neither does upsmash, best thing is to run away or if you can jump and upair.
Fox's Dair- Uptilt cancels it or outprioritizes it. Same thing goes for fox that went for kirby
DDD's Dair- Uptilt DOESN"T work! Neither does upsmash..not to sure if upair does, but i doubt it....
Falco's Dair- Uptilt cancels it or outprioritizes it. Most of the time it will just hit and cancel both attacks, if this happens try to uptilt again because he can still dair fairly quickly after so don't get caught
JigglyPuff's Dair- Uptitl DOESN"T WORK! Neither does upsmash...again not sure about upair...
Wario's Dair- Uptilt cancels it or outprioritizes it. Same thing as fox and kirby...
Ness's Dair- Uptilt or upsmash DON"T work

That is all of the testing I got done, since those characters generally use the dair approach on us olimars. So next time instead of trying to upsmash or shield grab, try an uptilt and surprise them, it might make them think twice about using it so much. But don't use it too much because smart players with kirby can play mindgames and just float above you wait till you uptilt and then punish you anyways. Or a fox can shine stall above you and do the same. The uptilt only outprioritizes these dairs when he is still rising or at the top, NOT ON THE WAY DOWN. So try to time it right. Also does NOT work for bairs from kirby or ddd and I am assuming most other characters bairs and fairs....so make sure not to get caught trying it if they don't dair and they bair or something. Good luck and hope it helps! Sorry if someone already said all of this, if so flame me all you want, i was just too lazy to look for it, lol

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
That's some good stuff there^. Thanks for sharing.I'll include the wario and falco stuff into the matchup thread. thanks!

blueyoshi5

Smash Rookie
I have found soemthing that increases Olimar's grab range. Excuse me if this has been found before. If you grab just before you turn around (I think you have to be running) then the pikmin have a much longer range of grab.

Blazeye

Smash Rookie
White pikmin...

To my understanding white pikmin also do more damage then other pikmin when it comes to attacking the opponent while he's being grabbed (my mistake if it is allready mentioned somewhere :p).

Barge

All I want is a custom title
I hate it when I hit them with a pikmin at a high percent, but its a white one (Lol 1/4 the kb ftw)

XienZo

Smash Lord
You have to read that 9 out of 10 as Olimar 10:9 or roughly Olimar 52:48

*_Echo_*

Smash Journeyman
nice guide. lol are tags are almost the same but i dont capitaliz the E this will get confusing if mk gets banned lol.

Omit

Smash Apprentice
Nice guide. I hate recovering with olimar its such a pain in the ***. although i dont main him hes fun to play. :p

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
The hitbox that is a yellow pikmin is in fact capable of doing damage at a longer range than the other pikmin when used in a forward smash.
The best way to show this is in the practice stage before an online match. Space yourself as far as you think is accurate and start c-sticking (assuming your c is set to smash) forward towards the sandbag. At whatever distance your blues and reds and whites just barely miss, your yellow will in fact get a hit. A "electrical" property no doubt. The difference may be negligible but there is a difference, just for the record
I haven't tested it yet (i don't know how), but im pretty positive the same occurs when using an up or down smash as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom