• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NC-Echo's Olimar guide *New videos added

Status
Not open for further replies.

Froth

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the info, Dr. Hyde.
You're awesome in my book.
Did you get your name from the book?

kazaken455

Smash Apprentice
I main Olimar and I have a question. I'm not the greatest, but a lot of times I can beat a lvl 9. I played a lvl 9 Peach and It didn't go to well. Same against a Pikachu. What would be the best strategy against these two?

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
I main Olimar and I have a question. I'm not the greatest, but a lot of times I can beat a lvl 9. I played a lvl 9 Peach and It didn't go to well. Same against a Pikachu. What would be the best strategy against these two?
Usually, computers can be really easy, especially for Olimar because they don't try to remove latched Pikmin. They try avoid them when you throw Pikmin, but once you get Pikmin latched onto them successfully, computers don't do anything about it. What I recommend to beat a computer is to throw as many Pikmin as you can, onto them. Use hit and run tactics with Pikmin Throw. This is a very simple way to get computers to high percentages. Then, simply up-smash them.

Draenic gamer

Smash Cadet
I've been expirementing, becuase i've had nearly the same problem(fast characters; Marth, Young Link), if you do neutral A combo alternating with crouching A, you can build damage(use it over your dash A, it's on and off working for me, but at least I don't get completely owned now(progress!).

Froth

Smash Journeyman
Grabbing with Olimar is what I think the best grab. He has hardly know lag and can grab really far. :bee:

M.K

Level 55
I had a question about latched Pikmin:

Besides whistling, when do they decide to get off and hustle back?

Also, does anyone like my Sig? ^_^

Froth

Smash Journeyman
I had a question about latched Pikmin:

Besides whistling, when do they decide to get off and hustle back?

Also, does anyone like my Sig? ^_^
Yeah, your sig is pretty cool. I like my Olimar sig better though. :bee:

And, the pikmin come off after they've been latched for so long or they are knocked off by the opponent.

kazaken455

Smash Apprentice
Usually, computers can be really easy, especially for Olimar because they don't try to remove latched Pikmin. They try avoid them when you throw Pikmin, but once you get Pikmin latched onto them successfully, computers don't do anything about it. What I recommend to beat a computer is to throw as many Pikmin as you can, onto them. Use hit and run tactics with Pikmin Throw. This is a very simple way to get computers to high percentages. Then, simply up-smash them.
All right. How about that same with players who play those two? Pretty much the same thing? Except grab more?

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
Well I think this topic needs a revive or Phoenix Down and get back to business.

Looking at the forum so far everything has been basically, "I can't deal with this character", "Olimar is BROKEN!!1!!" or "Olimar is popular"

Whatever, I don't care who learns or hate the guy I just want to build up the community.
So here's a cornerstone,

Whistle & When to use it

Okay I've already gone over when I think it's necessary to use the whistle but I think that it's not enough for a few characters. The best thing obviously is air dodging in mid air. Well if you're clumsy like me it just doesn't come out so when I play Olimar I tend to whistle.

But if you can air dodge safely, do it. Don't take unnecessary damages.

Now onto when you are forced you use it, which is never but you don't want to chance a blow because air dodge didn't come out.

Basically I think I'll go through a few characters for now and then I'd like to see the rest of the community try this out on the rest.

Zelda- yeah I deal with this over buffed B-grade whorror movie. Basically if you get stuck in the air they spam Din's Fire, Forward Air and Down Air. I honestly have not missed a whistle since I learned how to do it correctly.
IF you are learning how to whistle this is the character to practice with, just jump in the air and have a friend constantly hit you with the Din's Fire. You'll die if you don't whistle correctly.

Marth- Butter-knife-range Marth, how sweet the revenge. Again I use the Whistle to get back down to the ground if you are stuck in the air. This means getting through his up airs and to the ground. The other Time I use it is when he wants the Tipper, which about every five seconds. Just Whistle and smash in kind, its just too easy to time.

Link- I honestly don't whistle this match. If someone can give me a reason, which means a Link that's scary enough, then I'll fig something out.

Jigglypuff- Mindgames are soo evil since I played Puff in Melee and try to now. Whistling a Rest is a stock, but a miss is as well. Basically you will Whistle multiple times when you are trying to get back on the stage fi you are knocked off.

Ganon- Yeah the moves are sooo slow. I wanna cry when I say every aerial he has can be whistled and made useless since you can't kill you outside of being grabbed if you whistle your way on every hit. Seriously, Down B, Forward Air, Back Air, Down Air, Up Air (careful if turned around), all the tilts. Oh yeah as a mindgame piss him off by standing infront if he does the Up Tilt. Just don't miss.

Sonic- Really? eh. Don't do much whistling just throw a purple pikmin in his way and he falls on his butt. Can't think of any devastating move he has.

ICs- yeah split or fail, not gonna whistle unless one's dead.

Peach- eh just the Forward B, Back air and Forward air really. Nothing hard to deal with.

Tink, as he is being called- don't play any so you're on your own.

That's about as much as I care to type up
If some one would want to check when metaknight's hit box comes out for his Up B, that's be awesome cause that's all I need to know to make the match a daily 3-stock. It'd be 4 but I'd rather not continue a match after getting three kills.

Mitsuko

Smash Apprentice
Very, very good guide, one thing though, there's alot of advance tech, you should consider updateing that section

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
when is echo gonna update?
Like me, he's a student at a university. It's the beginning of Spring quarter, which is usually the most challenging quarter of the school year. I'm sure NC-Echo is extremely busy with his academics, much like I am, so don't expect any major updates for a while. It would be nice, though.

The |Egg| Sniper

Smash Apprentice
Perhaps it's due to my laziness of not reading all 18 pages of this guide, but I assume that since its not on the main page, the following haven't been mentioned:
1. Red's lower trajectories of knockback when used in aerial attacks (semi-fire spike abilities)?

2.Purple Pikmin have less recoil on their U-Smash attacks due to their lack of range?

3. Purple's knockback is not necessarily higher with Olimar's uair?

4. Blue has a similar knockback to Purple with fthrows and Bthrows, and close to range on Dthrows and Uthrows?

5. Yellow has a very slight range increment on some attacks (it's at least noticeable with the Fsmash). I'd say it's due to the fact that their head is slightly larger than the other skinny Pikmin (Red and Blue). It's easer to see the size difference using Olimar's Dsmash with a red and yellow pikmin. (I did read in the guide that you could not test it due to lack of tools, but by simply looking at displays of attacks in Training can prove that. Tested with Link at 50% on FD. Perhaps spark effect creates a sort of reach?).

6. Is there any way we could add a section about strategy WITHOUT Pikmin? I know that sounds almost like some sort of sin, but let's be honest. There are times in combat when you use up your Pikmin or the heat is on and you need to get an opponent off your back when you don't readily have Pikmin available (say, they fall off the edge after over throwing them or they become loose due to attacks and dont rejoin?)

Remember, Cap'n Crunch still has to be a Cap'n, even if there's no kids around to Crunchitize!

....wow, maybe that was a bad reference XP. Just a few suggestions if they haven't been tossed out there already.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
Does anyone know any specifics about hitting someone after an empty Up-B (empty = without grabbing the ledge) in the air when Olimar and the Pikmin start...I guess it looks like they're diving. I won't have time to test this out for a couple weeks so I thought I'd ask =D

Also, Good **** |Egg| Sniper, we need to play some...that day spent going through SSE was great but doesn't count quite the same ^_^

Froth

Smash Journeyman
There's this one guy that uses Olimar and doesn't use pikmin and he still wins. :O

Romancer

Smash Cadet
'Myself and Projectiled are still are still working to find an explanation for this.'

Small typo. Very good guide.

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
The guide is riddled with small typos. I notice more every time I have a few minutes to look at it. I would love to proof read the whole thing but right now I simply don't have time and if I where to have time to devote to the guide I think the time would be best used updating it.

joeysmash

Smash Ace
NNID
papakarcher
'Myself and Projectiled are still are still working to find an explanation for this.'

Small typo. Very good guide.
The guide is riddled with small typos. I notice more every time I have a few minutes to look at it. I would love to proof read the whole thing but right now I simply don't have time and if I where to have time to devote to the guide I think the time would be best used updating it.
Well excuse me then.
I didn't mean to come across as rude. I apologize if I did.
Romancer take a chill pill...

Shenkomi

Smash Rookie
This is an awesome guide. It's very helpful for an Olimar player as myself. I need to work on using his forward specials more often, since I never really adapted to using them that often.

Just a note, though. I've noticed that when using Olimar's Up Aerial with a Yellow Pikmin it hits faster than using it with reds or purples. I think White Pikmin have sort of a similar feature, but I haven't noticed it too much in them. After beating up on Sandbag on the Wifi Waiting Room for probably four hours (Takes forever for people to get connected) I could easily say that Yellows hit faster when using an Up Aerial.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
ummm, this is my first post on the olimar character discussion section on this website so please...
This wasn't mentioned on any of the pages on this thread so yah.
i noticed when playing as olimar a recurring tactic that worked against my friends ice climbers(he's pretty good) and it may become a good strategy against similiar characters. maybe even marth, Oo.(in no way is he similiar tho)

i spammed f-b instead of jumping off to attack because his up-aerial out prioritizes olimar's spike. He more-than-often ended up having to recover from below in order to avoid my pikmen. I do understand that he could simply air-dodge, but he can't avoid them all by doing that. I usually order my pikmen so the purples would be thrown last giving me a better chance of hitting nana if not both. So he's having to recover upwards from below the stage.(or at least diagonally) Instead of edgeguarding I stand close enough to the edge in order for my fsmash to send my pikmen off the edge, but far enough to get them to basically edgeguard for me. Against ic, they tend to hit nana, keeping ic' recover from working properly. It works well in conjunction w/ the yellow pikmen and f-b because their arc can send them closer to the stage, but still off.

it seemed to work well against zelda/sheiks recovery also. Could yall look into this?

Kyzon Xin

Smash Journeyman
Anyone other than me use purple pikmin as an approach???

i'll usually jump maybe twice then throw one as i'm fast-falling then run up for a shorthopped Fair or grab.... works very well as most people i've played will shield the purple one

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
i'll sometimes do the same thing, but i'll never double jump as that'll leave me too open

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
yeah I usually throw a White first and then a Purple because if they dodge the white they gt hit by the fatty. Otherwise they are taking some fast damage and I usually got for the grab since its easy.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
agreed, but i think it's funner to throw a yellow w/ the high arc, watch them dodge, then quickly hurl a white pikmen. same effect tho

KMAY

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if anyone has tried this combo yet, but it is pretty effective with lower percent, but grab with a back throw, then quickly turn dash and grab with a down throw, and an up smash, then further juggling can be done its pretty simple but can be very effective.

Jarri

Smash Journeyman
Combo that does around 57% dmg:

Dthrow, Fair, Dsmash and Usmash + further juggling available because your opponent is in the air.

Can be done perfectly at low damages, otherwise your opponent goes to high and you miss the timing.

GenG

Smash Lord
My combos are usually down throw + usmash (repeat depending on weight) + nair/uair + up B

Or falling nair + up tilt (repeat depending on weight) + nair/uair + up B

I tend to use Up B a lot, it seems to fit extremely well after up angled arcs like down throw (high percentages), dash attack, nair and utilt, plus they don't expect you to use it.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I tend to use Up B a lot, it seems to fit extremely well after up angled arcs like down throw (high percentages), dash attack, nair and utilt, plus they don't expect you to use it.
good point about a combo with nair. i haven't been able to find a good way to fit that into a combo and not just end a combo with one instead. I'll try that one.

KMAY

Smash Apprentice
I def need to incorporate nair, up tilt and up b more into my attacks....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom