• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NC-Echo's Olimar guide *New videos added

Status
Not open for further replies.

zelix

Smash Rookie
the yellow pikmin actually do have more reach on fsmash than others.
but it is so little that there really is no need to worry about it.
yellows have a broken reach of maybe inches farther than the others.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
i'm more inclined to say whites do, but that's my subconscious speaking about grab range. Oo

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
the yellow pikmin actually do have more reach on fsmash than others.
but it is so little that there really is no need to worry about it.
yellows have a broken reach of maybe inches farther than the others.
If that is the case, do they have more reach on other attacks like D-Smash? (Just wondering)

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I don't think the yellows actually have a farther reach. It's just the animation? idk, but it's the same.

Kirby-oh

Smash Apprentice
From my play... All colors of Pikmin except Blue have a very low swim time. When I land in the water, the first few die. I've never had Oli drown, so I don't know when blues drown.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
sorry to double post but I did something today and I haven't checked the guide in a while to see if it was updated, but I think I've been current with what people have been posting. my bad if someone already said this.

basically, when you upB at the edge and you press A [right?] to pull yourself to the ledge, as SOON as you get to the ledge you can immediately ledgehop or ledge-attack or whatever. I don't know if every character can do this in Brawl but it was one of the bigger changes between Melee and Brawl [immediate release of the edge once you grab]

I've gotten ledgehop spikes doing this and of course you can do a lot more, but the point is, you can immediately release the edge as soon as you grab.

ragnarock

Smash Lord
Basically the g@w keep doing bair and i couldnt beat it, or his dair, he was just annoying.

Jarri

Smash Journeyman
Most G&W's do dAir way too much. Just stay on the ground, let them think you won't be defending and defend at the very last second (if they do a dAir). This way you can just grab them or fSmash them.

ragnarock

Smash Lord
Most G&W's do dAir way too much. Just stay on the ground, let them think you won't be defending and defend at the very last second (if they do a dAir). This way you can just grab them or fSmash them.
ONe last question can u roll out of G@W's bair while blocking. I guess i be so in to the match i never bothered to try.

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
I beat a decent Game and Watch at the last tournament and basically you can win easily if there are platforms. Stay on the ground. Let them float and Down Air and if they land on a platform Up smash and if they don't Forward smash or grab. Basically be a shadow beneath them for the match and they will have trouble. The Game and Watch I played didn't use the Back air a lot so sorry I can't help you I just think that a Purple latch attack might stop it.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
D*mn i just have to avoid it then. or just watch out for it.
Sorry for misleading you. There's always a way to counter attack any move. You can't roll away from it DURING the attack though. It's hard for me to say exactly what to do in this situation, b/c i don't play regularly against G&W,(though I have played with him for some time) but I can say that making him miss is the your key. (not his, haha(I had to bring it up :)))
If he jumps towards you and you anticipate the turtle, try rolling towards him. It may catch him off guard, and you might get an easy grab in. Otherwise, just roll away, or of you have enough shield and want to try and counter, just take the shield damage and attack afterwards. Just be sure not to roll towards him very often(maybe once every 10 times he pulls out the turtle- a good estimate?) or he'll be sure to punish you for it.

Have you tried taking the offensive? G&W, as you have discovered, has a great approach game. Olimar has a decent one, and G&W doesn't particularly have a great defensive game. Try going that route. Hope this helps.

Good luck!

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
The thing about going offensive is that most of the time G&W is in the air though. The problem and point of getting offensive against him is you need to move up and find openings, this works better after reacting.

Personally, in theory to me, I think that running away and pivot grabbing would be the best way to deal with the Bair. The Blue Pikmin would be the most effective.

Just remember G&W is really light. 90% get an up smash ready and prepare a Purple Pikmin for your latch approach, so after you throw the pikmin you either hit and have the advantage or if they block you run toward them and they'll usually just roll behind you which means, pivot grab.
If they don't, run past them and then Up Smash.

Olimar has it too good for mindgames.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Just a funny side note:

I was playing vs my brother, who was using Olimar, and both of us were down to 1stock. I knocked him off the level, took his double jump and went for the edge. I stayed at the edge until my invulnerability went away.

As he was falling, instead of giving up, he DI'd toward the stage with no purple pikmin, and used up-B. The pikmin chain sweetspotted on me, bounced me off the ledge and I died off the side of the level before he could finish falling to his death.

It was such an epic finish.

lol Olimar edgeguard revenge.

Jarri

Smash Journeyman
You should have let you drop and recovered again rightaway, that way you would have won!

Tenki

Smash Hero
:p

I'm used to Oli players giving up unless they have purple pikmin.

I gotta admit it was an awesome comeback that I didn't see coming at all, especially not at that %.

bugball

Smash Apprentice
echo, i just finish the watch of you youtube videos... you're ****ing insane as olimar O_O

Sans Glutin

Smash Ace
Echo, I have something you might want to put in the match-up against Diddy as a counter. Olimar can kind of use Diddy's bananas against him, utilizing his dash attack (practically the same as Diddy's). It picks up the bananas as you are going over them so it is extremely easy to screw your opponent up by doing this. Diddy - Bananas = Suckage. Just thought i'd add this.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
I'm going to have to say that, though I skimmed through the majority of the descriptions, your match ups section lost credibility once you hit G&W.

G&W should be an easy match up for Olimar. Just avoid the downthrow to dsmash and fsmash.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
You might want to update this with the different things each Pikmin are good at (i.e. blue for backthrows, purple for vertical KOs including uthrow, red for smash attacks, white for latching, etc).

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
I'm going to have to say that, though I skimmed through the majority of the descriptions, your match ups section lost credibility once you hit G&W.

G&W should be an easy match up for Olimar. Just avoid the downthrow to dsmash and fsmash.
If you think that is the case then you haven't played a good G&W.

whodat

Smash Apprentice
I don't really think that the match with G&W is that bad. G&W is a great character, but it's not unwinnable.

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
A Good G&W is quite ridiculous. Not just ridiculous but REALLY ridiculous.

Green Mario, who plays a little G&W, played me when I started, and I know I wasn't as good as I am now, and it was still crazy. Attack after lagless attack. If I got a turtle attack I was gone. I either lost all my shield or just let it eat me.

trust me G&W is great if you have seen how he plays. I'll probably win next time he comes up.

asob4

Smash Champion
g&w is incredibly hard to beat, not impossible though

the first good g&w i had to play was azn lep's and man was he scary good. he seriously tech chased me for like 2 minutes

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Hmm. It is hard to say. I played a very good Luigi with my Olimar and it seemed pretty even. Lots of gimps on both ends. I think he mainly was losing because he didn't know what the hell Olimar was doing more than half the time, but it is hard to say. Luigi's Nair has massive priority, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom