• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NC-Echo's Olimar guide *New videos added

Status
Not open for further replies.

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
2. How to you edge guard kirby?
Maybe I shouldn't have said it was easy because it can range from easy to impossible given the situation. If a Kirby floats and goes above you so high that you can't reach than there is little you can do. If Kirby is above you but not super high than you can U-air or U-B and if Kirby is below you than you can spike him pretty easily since there is little a Kirby can do to stop it (Olimar can spike Kirby right out of his U-B).

kafke said:
my bro offered to help with the Kirby section of the guide.
I appreciate the offer but I think I have all of the info I need for now and if I need anymore I'll probably just get it from t!MmY.

kafke said:
Would you mind exchanging FCs?
My internet has been pretty bad lately, even though I usually have a good connection, so I am working on fixing it and untill I do, I will be abstaining from online play. Ask me again in a few weeks hopefully I will have fixed it by then.

kafke

Smash Apprentice
ok, thanks. I'll be sure to try the dair. I look forward to playing you so Ill probably ask like a week after easter.

CapOli

Smash Rookie
I was testing a little bit about the different terrains and I only really tried the levels with the most unique terrain and I believe that on the Electroplankton level it is a bit more rare to pull the white and purple pikmin than their red, yellow, and blue counterparts...and I speculate the same may also be true on the ice climbers level, though it seemed I was able to pull them a bit more frequently, but I figured I'd shed a little light on it...and I figured maybe someone else could try it and let me know if I'm just being paranoid or if there is a difference...just keep in mind that you will still pick purple and white pikmin, but it just didn't seem to occur as often as the other ones...though it shouldn't impact much because both of those levels aren't the types of levels you would want to play a competitive match on anyway, but kind of cool to know about

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
CapOli-
sorry man but the pikmin are completely random regardless of stage.
I pull 4 white and two purple yesterday on battlefield. It has never happened before but that just shows that it's random, hopefully. I'm bad at proving a point but if they plucked pikmin in a rarety then wow.

CapOli

Smash Rookie
so you mean to tell me that "First uproot a few Pikmin from the ground. You can have up to six Pikmin at one time. As long as there is ground beneath your feet, you can reach down and pull up a Pikmin, but be aware that certain Pikmin are more likely to appear in specific types of flooring." Straight from the smash bros dojo website...to completely disregard that? I agree it is completely random on certain stages, but I'm not convinced that it's random on all stages, because if it were why would it even mention it?

WiseWarrior

Smash Cadet
May I offer some tips? Hopefully they'll be of some help lol. First of all...

Olimar is all abou long-range. He excells against anyone with shorter range then him. The reason? All of Olimar's smash throw the Pikmin a ways, so you always want to attack before your opponent gets to you. This being said, Olimar has a lot of trouble against people with longer range, like Ike or Marth. The thing is, you need to know when to do your smashes. Fast characters like Fox, might rush in to attack you. You can't attack them right when they're about to hit you, because you'll suffer damage before you can retaliate. You need to use your side smash in this instance, a little before you think it'll hit. Fast characters will run right into it. So if you have good timing; you'll get a lot of victories.

joeysmash

Smash Ace
NNID
papakarcher
I have a question myself: I really have trouble finding uses for olimars tilts, have you? most of the time i find it better just to use a smash attack, but i feel it is a little bit to predictable, how can i utilize tilits to vary up my gameplay or to open combos?

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
I have a question myself: I really have trouble finding uses for olimars tilts, have you? most of the time i find it better just to use a smash attack, but i feel it is a little bit to predictable, how can i utilize tilits to vary up my gameplay or to open combos?
Thats a good question. Tilts are an important part of every characters game but for Olimar they seem to be less important.

U-tilt: This can be useful to out prioritize other moves. It doesn't do a particulary large amount of damage or knock back but it does have a surprising amount of priority so it can be used to really surprise people.

F-tilt: This tilt is the one that I use the least out of all of the tilts, thats not to say that its not useful but honestly, at this time, I have not found a whole lot of use for it. The knock back and lag makes it to were you cannnot really combo out of it and its not good for a kill move and anytime you can get it off you could easily get off F-smash.

D-tilt: This is in my opinion the most useful tilt. At low percents it can be a great move to throw into a lot of different combos. The damage may not be real high but neither is the knock back. I doubt you will have the opportunity to use it in combos vs. floatly characters but with the faster fallers and the bigger characters it can be a good move to use.

All together Olimars tilts can be good, not great but good. A player could do very well with Olimar without using any of his tilts but keep in mind that there are diminishing returns in this game and so anything that you can do to keep your play varied will not only make it harder for people to read you but it will keep your strong moves, strong.

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
Okay, I'm having a harder time playing people one on one becuase they don't like my Olimar, no surprise right? Who knows how to counter character hate?

And I'm also getting tired of how easy matches are turning out, I'm three stocking or two stocking every game, this isn;t have I pictured my life in brawl, that was what I dreamt of in melee. Thus I'm getting tired of Olimar.

BTW IC are the more annoying thing I have come acrossed that almost beat me.

BOZO500

Smash Journeyman
Okay, I'm having a harder time playing people one on one becuase they don't like my Olimar, no surprise right? Who knows how to counter character hate?

And I'm also getting tired of how easy matches are turning out, I'm three stocking or two stocking every game, this isn;t have I pictured my life in brawl, that was what I dreamt of in melee. Thus I'm getting tired of Olimar.

BTW IC are the more annoying thing I have come acrossed that almost beat me.

maybe your not playing skilled players? I would not care, I love olimar, doesnt stop me from maining him. Still, It's always a good idea to have a secondary character, if it worries you so ^^

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
That is SO true, mate. Ice Climbers are surprisingly difficult. My Pikmin Throw lands on Nana. I grab Nana. That eliminates two of Olimar's best moves right there. I am forced to fight an extremely different way against ice climbers.

Wak

BRoomer
BRoomer
NC-Echo, you play a really cool Olimar, although really not like mine. You like close range battles while you are olimar, which I find a little bit weird.

Not that I think I'm better than you, I just assumed, by taking olimar, that I'd not do this... I should get some videos in the next week, hopefully you'll like my gameplay :p

Evil Amoeba

Smash Rookie
Under section G of the guide, it says that the evolutionary stages of Pikmin have no effect. My experience suggests otherwise: It seems to affect the number of times a pikmin will strike a target they're latched onto before returning to Olimar. If I remember correctly, a leaf hit twice, while a full bloom hit around five times. Somebody should probably test this for veracity, just to be sure.

Keiran

Smash Rookie
Question, in survival mode, if another character launches a foe of the screen and I have my pikmin attached to him, do I get the point or does the other guy?

zoner:x

Smash Rookie
I've got a few tips to add for playing against Snake:

When you latch pikmin onto Snake try to get them onto his back as his only really quick attack is his first jab and this mainly affects pikmin on his front, if they have to use the second jab or another attack they may not bother, or they will waste more time and take an extra hit from the pikmin anyway. Of course that's easy enough to say but actually reaching his back is fairly difficult.

When snake is controlling his missile, cooking a grenade, planting a mine, recoving on cypher, etc. he is incapable of destroying any pikmin latched onto him, this is the perfect time to spam F-B, as his damage will rocket.

When thrown (F-B), pikmin are obviously useful for destroying mines in your path (although it will cost you a pikmin and proves you were born without a sole)

They also have the affect of returning some items; they will stop a grenade when it is thrown at you and, if timed well, will leave it a snakes feet.

When returning to the stage from above be weary of Snake's up smash; a mortar which can travel quite high when charged, it will easily out range your Dair. (Also keep in mind that it comes back down in case you were thinking about air-dodging it) It's actually possible to stop the mortar with an early Nair (if you use a later Nair you should reach Snake)

Snake players will try to take control of the stage, usually by mining/C4ing the area between you and them, if this happens F-B spamming is still of course an option. But the best way to avoid it is to stick centre stage when on the defensive, this means that snake is forced into a medium range battle, Olimar's favourite. Don't forget the occasional dash attack to mix it up a little, it's ideal to swap positions so that he can be forced into his own mines. When it comes to C4, try and jump late when coming in to attack, this will convince a Snake player that you've forgotten about the C4 and he/she will probably detonate it wastefully, this gives you a small but useful opening and takes away Snake's control.

As a kill move Snake players will follow you off the edge and try to Bair you, this is particularly effective against Olimar's recovery as he will not make it back. Remember that Snake has a particularly good recovery and so can drop fairly low. Avoiding this is another reason to stick to the centre of the stage. There's not a lot you can do to survive in this position but remember, if you're on a high % and don't see a way back, that Snake will get caught under the stage if he recovers once hit there, a Fair then could take him with you, or if you're in the right position you could Dair him directly. If you are though he is to low to hit you and you should probably continue to recover or ideally go for the risky but satisfying footstool jump.

Hope that's helpful to you, Snake should really have nothing on Olimar if you don't panic over explosions and pikmin deaths.

[Also as a side note, never tell an opponent that flower pikmin have no advantage over leaf pikmin, they strike fear into the hearts of you enemies, it can make them concentrates so much on avoiding your F-B that they leave themselves open for a smash/throw. Mind games...]

nevershootme

Smash Master
I do want to add about going against snake is to watch out for the dash-attack to up-smash link. i've even went against one who performed it without even hitting me with the dash attack. it freaking hurts and it will be tough to get back on stage to make your next move.

another thing, his tilts beat olimar's neutral and tilts. especially when you get tripped from his f-tilt, you're in trouble for sure.

some snake players will hold the grenade and drop it to the ground, only to fool you by when attacking him, you blow up the grenade and hit you. some will even throw it directly at you making you try to throw it back only to have it blow up on you. also, they can even time the grenade when edgehogging you as you return to the stage so you can eat it and fly high to your death

one last thing... and i totally regret it, don't throw on the ground while he attempts to do a dash attack, it hurts big time...

my suggestion is dodge well or super armor your way through the kill moves if you're in danger

TheOJ

Smash Journeyman
I would like to add to the Pulling out pikmin and latching part.
As I was testing and fiddling with him today I noticed two things.

1. the more of one kind you have in your group (say, 5 white) the more trouble olimar has with pulling new pikmin out of the ground.
2. When latching on, the number of hits change as the opponent's damage goes up.

Here is what I have seen.
0% - 9-8 hits
25% 8 hits
50% 7-6 hits
75% 6 hits
100% 5 hits
125% 4hits
150% 3.4 hits
175% 3 hits
200+ 2 hits

This was observed on lucas with no resistance(No one moved him, he stood there and took it like a boy)

Fautor Animus

Smash Cadet
How does one go about maiming Wolf?
Also, I've noticed that on the ice climbers, you should focus on keeping a highly aggressive stance. Pressure defeats the ice climbers, and the dash attack is key for racking up damage.

shipoffools

Smash Journeyman
WOW this is AMAZING! it does seem like you;re one of the best olimars around. but still, you've only had the game for a few weeks now. it took years for people to become good at melee, and even then there was always room for improvement. with that being said, what would you change or work on about your olimar game to make you a better player?

M.K

Level 55
I might be a "different" type of Olimar, one that doesn't rely on Pikmin Throw or Whistle.
My two most used attacks are FAir and UAir, I almost ALWAYS use UThrow, and I only throw Pikmin when I know they will stick. I love Olimar in 1 vs. 1, but he's a bit too complicated in FFA's.
Hardest character for me = Marth

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
Marth is a wimp.

Simply control the ground and he will have no bearing on your game.
IF he ever get's campy, like trying to space the Fsmash and just poke you camp him bck.
It's soooo lame but they started it and Olimar finishes.

Also, when Marth comes after you, I tend to Whistle Armor the Fsmash as it comes out or Dtilt and beat it, you could power shield I think but WA is soooo broken.

IF Marth is coming too fast to give you a chance to react really just shield and roll behind. IF they get used to it blow the whistle and attack back.

Seriously there is no real way to play this match other than on the ground and with MArth getting ***** up the butt by an Up smash U air or what have you.

IF you DO get in the air Marth will try to get the tipper or attack in the air, either way Whistle armor lets you get back down.

Basically predict Marth before he pre-D!cks you.

Draenic gamer

Smash Cadet
can someone match zelda already? i have 2 friends who use her, and she's honestly super-annoying, with her slo-mo kick, Din's fire and some more things!

Pjoden

Smash Rookie
I'm really sorry for posting this here but i couldn't find the answer anywhere.. what does all those shorts mean? like f-air n-air etc.. hope it's not a too annoying question ^^

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
I'm really sorry for posting this here but i couldn't find the answer anywhere.. what does all those shorts mean? like f-air n-air etc.. hope it's not a too annoying question ^^
f-air = press forward+A in the air
b-air = press back+A in the air
d-air = press down+A in the air
u-air = press up+A in the air
n-air = press A in the air without pressing any direction at the same time

you can do f/b/d/u-air with just the C-Stick while in the air as well (that is, if you're using a Gamecube Controller)

M.K

Level 55
Just a hint/tip/trick:

RED Pikmin reflect Nikita missles, grenades, and landmines without dying. I guess they fall into the fire "resistance" category.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
Just a hint/tip/trick:

RED Pikmin reflect Nikita missles, grenades, and landmines without dying. I guess they fall into the fire "resistance" category.
reflect? or endure? I haven't played Brawl much [still no Wii :(] so I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty confident that they just go through those objects and withstand them without dying, right? haha if you could reflect Nikita missiles and grenades back at Snake that would be toooo good

nateand

Smash Rookie
I've had some experience dealing with snake as well, and this can be a really tough match. A friend and I tend to really go at it with these two, and he's too good with snake to let me get away with much.

The parts before about middle range are very true, don't let snake set up across the stage from you, and never lose track of where he put those stupid mines. If you see him dropping a motion sensor one, hit him hard and fast to cancel it. If you can't manage to do that, just chuck a pikmin past the mine and let it walk over it... They are very loyal soldiers.

As for his mortar, super-armor the crap out of that thing. When you're trying to return to the stage and you're coming in high, sometimes they might try to mortar you out of the sky, let that thing hit you and whistle armor right through it. More often than not you can get a down smash or a grab off before snake can get moving, because you can drop like a rock right next to him... The grab is the best choice though, they might be able to shield quick enough to dodge the smash.

I've found that your grab is absolutely the best weapon to use against snake (as well as most bigger characters). They'll get turtley when they realize they can shield just about everything you can dish out, so start grabbing them (it's tough to anticipate the range of olimars grab) and they'll be forced to stop being such a freakin' jerk with the shield. It's especially useful if you can stick them with a pikmin and then grab them, get a punch or two and then toss them.

If snake is trying to missile you, don't throw a pikmin at the missile, why waste it? I've found it is MUCH more useful to let snake trap himself with this thing. He uses that missile, and now the only way he can get out of it is to drop the missile straight down (so avoid being under it, heads up) and take that lag while he recovers. Once they shoot a missile at you, depending on how far away you are, time a jump so you can get right over it and start spamming f-b. By the time snake realizes his missile is a bust and drops it, you should be on him with a grab. Get a few punches on him while he's grabbed, and between that and the (ideally) many pikmin latched on him you just did some SERIOUS damage.

Also, if snake already has taken a good amount of damage, when he's recovering he is quite vulnerable (unless he lets go of cypher), so feel free to hop out there and smack him with a f-air, this can KO him sometimes, and at the very least will piss him off.

WATCH OUT for that **** air move he does where he kicks (the sideways kick where he stretches his whole body out), his HEAD is actually the most dangerous part of him during this move, so avoid the crap out of it.

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
can someone match zelda already? i have 2 friends who use her, and she's honestly super-annoying, with her slo-mo kick, Din's fire and some more things!
I love Zeldas they make for good pikmin food.

Okay well here's the thing you can play the game long range and win or close range and win faster.

I play close so I'll give you the shorty on this as long as you give Zelda a fatty, pikmin you sickos!
When you have Zelda close basic juggles work and keeping her up isn't hard even if she teleports, just FF D-air, she'll always be below you is you ar directly under her for some reason, or that's just bad Zeldas. Either way she teleports out of a juggle and you're in the air do your best to anticipate where she'll go and hit her.
Another thing about teleports, they are easy to time. Some Zelda's will teleport into you because they think its a good tactic, sorry I play better Zeldas but still they do it, whistle, take the hit, and hit back harder.
Close range if they are smashing just Whistle armor, I don't shield in my matches almost ever or dodge anymore, its faster for me to take the hit and give it back than dodge and reset how the clash went.
Seriously Up smash For The Win, and if she's off the edge, go out for the spike, they don't think that you can hit them and if they try to hog the edge, throw a pikmin and then jump and they'll get off.
Never try and spike without a 2nd jump in case something goes wrong.

That's the gist of close.

Long range, Din's fire is ****. It's so ****'n easy to use and powerful it makes me cry. But you're Olimar, captain and conquerer of smash, you have six projectiles almost all the time.
If Zelda wants to camp, pack your bags we'll camp. Jump Forward B when the Din's fire comes out at a decent range and you should be able to get the latch and dodge the blast if not shield it, or like I do Whistle armor, the higher percent the more you humiliate them and yes its a mind game. The basic thing is you can throw pikmin more frequently and safer than din's fire can come and hit. Just be sure that if you are going for this strategy use your whites first, and then reds and yellows. You need a single you close the gap and grab when they decide they want the pikmin off with a Neutral B, Zelda's the one doing the B move.
Also never let them get you on a counter pick stage.

You, as Olimar, are far better off on Jungle Japes than Sky World, by WAY much. Sky World is the first thing I ban as Olimar. On Jungle Jape Zelda can't hide much and you can close the range easily, Sky World she will destroy all the land that you can use as well as hide to where you can't pikmin spam.

That's my shorty of this match up

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
This information is awesome.
I highly appreciate it.
Thanks. :)
No prob if there are other characters that people want my opinion on how to play against let me know, though I don't get to play all of them. Mainly, I don't get to play Olimar dittos :(

Other than that yeah, I'll lend what I can.

Froth

Smash Journeyman
No prob if there are other characters that people want my opinion on how to play against let me know, though I don't get to play all of them. Mainly, I don't get to play Olimar dittos :(

Other than that yeah, I'll lend what I can.
What are your thoughts on Olimar vs. Ice Climbers?
I don't believe I saw any strategies on it.

Pikklz

Smash Rookie
This is just kind of a random thing, but I didn't see it in your guide and I don't want to look through 16 pages to see if it's been mentioned or not, so if it has, consider it a reminder I guess.

Anyway, d-smash, when used at point-blank range, hits with both pikmin and sometimes sends them in the other direction. I'm not sure of the circumstances, but I think it's just if you're close enough so that the second pikmin's hitbox hits them. As a result, it is my belief that the hitboxes of the two pikmin go through olimar's body and to the other side, very slightly, and intersect with the enemy's body, thus changing his trajectory. My crudely drawn diagram illustrates one such scenario.

o=you
p=pikmin
x=enemy spaces don't work so I had to use hidden black words instead x (flying away on the wrong side, onoes)

xo -> pxo p (pikmin shoot out past the enemy) -> p o p

Ideally, if you get a shield break in or something, you could whistle two purple pikmin, walk right up (rest range or so) and fully charge a 'double-sided' d-smash, which should be 42% and massive knockback. I can't think of any move that does more raw percentage in one hit, excluding flare blade(from melee), counters, the bucket, and final smashes.

Not sure if this is widely known, but I just wanted to see that it got mentioned in the guide so all new olimar players and maybe some current ones could find out.

Also,
Dr. Hyde said:
pack your bags we'll camp
LOL

Froth

Smash Journeyman
Ideally, if you get a shield break in or something, you could whistle two purple pikmin, walk right up (rest range or so) and fully charge a 'double-sided' d-smash, which should be 42% and massive knockback. I can't think of any move that does more raw percentage in one hit, excluding flare blade(from melee), counters, the bucket, and final smashes.
What about PK Flash?

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
What are your thoughts on Olimar vs. Ice Climbers?
I don't believe I saw any strategies on it.
IC are some what of an interesting match to see.

The rare 7 vs. 2 as an IC player would try and play up saying its not a fair fight for them.

The main thing I know about this match is latching is pretty much useless. The reason I have come to this conclusion is not just that the sister will be the one most likely taking the hits instead of the mark, A.K.A. Mr. Popo, they tend to get knocked off easily by the IC's Forward B. The only use of the pikmin is to stop the ice blocks. Throw one out there and they will just walk back taking usually four to five blocks total before making the ultimate sacrifice.

That's where close range comes in.

Before I mention anything about how Olimar is to right the IC's close range, my experience is from an IC player who doesn't always d-synch. He can sometimes when he grabs and trys to spike me with the forward throw with Nana doing the Forward Air. The IC's have a dominate smashing game, that is almost, to me at least with wave dashing factored out, better than SSBM. They have nasty smashes in every direction, up, down, forward, like Olimar but stronger and they hit twice so PSing, power shielding or whatever its called now, is not useful. I repeat don't try and Power shield and grab or smash while they are in synch or d-synch'd. The pikmin will just get killed. Also Platforms work to their advantage so very well now, another reason latching is not helpful. Honestly I have had games that I lost and won just barely because a platform made the ice block go above and I jumped into it for that little percent.
Also their recovery is much better aside from killing the sister or brother and hindering them. They can also edgehog rather well since they both will be holding the edge and then getting up. It's not too wise to get out too far off the edge if they are below it.

Oh and they can chain grab, I almost forgot.

Whew, that's about all the bad news.

Scared?
A:
Don't be!

Heh you shouldn't be playing Olimar if you think that will stop you, it won't... if you play right.

Here's the counter to every point that I made about the IC's their smashes will beat Olimar's hands down, when they are together. Knocking one away and killing the other is a simple matter since the computer won't be able to recover Nana if she gets spiked, I tried it on a friend and yes knocking Nana away and then spiking will be the best way to go if you can manage it.
How you manage it is up to you, if they are going for their powerful smashes that are sync'd Whistle armor will hold through both, unless something changes when they fully charge it. IF they are d-synch'd you have to whistle armor and then smash right away. This is one reason the armor is better than the shield, while you have no lag from a power shield you can't do it in the air and if you are used to doing it in the air you will do it on the ground. So its habit for me know but try it with shield and let me know if it's better but your forward smash should come out fast enough to beat d-synch'd forward smash, Down smash however, no. For that I just whistle armor twice, once and then again. you'll recover just in time to do it, or shield and do it.
Also I was chaingrabbed once and I chose not to DI and it really didn't hurt much. I basically took 40% but when I DI'd behind they missed. IDK maybe my friend just messed up. I think you should be fine, Olimar is a hard astronut to crack.

So right now I bet you want to learn how to split them up?

Fine

Up B****

****When they have some damage on them that's what I use.

Basically you need to rack up about 40%, not hard at all, to get them to where they get separated easily. I like keeping them up so they get Up smashed, Up Air'd twice and then drop below a platform. They will usually try and attack back with a Down Air which will make them plummet after you. If you made it below the platform and you use Up B before Nana hits the ground Popo will experience more knock back and Nana will chase after. And you chase Nana. And kill her.

Or play it safe and Up Smash and get more damage. either way they have trouble.
Also if you get caught above, Whistle armor or shield. Then Down Smash, it can send them in opposite directions but it did it like twice for me so I don't know how it works correctly.

That's all I can think of for now. If I find some good IC's I'll play them and let you, the People for Pikmin, know how to defeat the double teamers.

I find it ironic that I called IC's cheap in the first since they had two people and killed with a single grab but know they call me cheap when I have 2 or more pikmin.
**** ICs!

Pikklz

Smash Rookie
I thought it was 36% or something, but that may be just from melee. My point is, while generally unrealistic, it has the potential to be massively strong, just like PK Flash. And even if you don't get to fully charge two purple pikmin, just two c-sticked reds or something should do a good 25-30%, which is on par with a much more unreliable falcon punch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom