• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NC-Echo's Olimar guide *New videos added

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
So I finally have something to add rather than just ask a question about! Nothing big, just want to point out that when holding on to the ledge, you can only UpB recover back to the ledge 3 times before your no longer able to. I have a feeling this is what caused the earlier confusion about multiple UpBs. On the fourth attempt the chain will not grab the ledge no matter how close you are. You can grab the edge on the fourth time leaving the ledge, but not with the chain. I made a video (warning on quality, my first one ever...) thats uploading to youtube, I'll edit this when it finishes.
(Heres the URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCK48DwIlHc )

-True

ConF1ictz

Smash Journeyman
after playing with Olimar and reading this guide, i am going to star maining him because hes amazing and i think they put a lot of effort ito this character

PlayaFritz

Smash Apprentice
Very nice guide. This is almost near perfect, and it def. helps, even an expeirienced smasher such as myself. One thing I stumbled upon today I don't beleive is in your guide. White pikmin have a slightly longer grab range than the rest. It is also to be noted that purple have significantly less. I tested this today, and I feel it will be somewhat useful. Again very good guide. Keep it up.

Kiederen

Smash Cadet
I don't know if it was mentioned elsewhere in the thread, but for the first page, under the terrain effects on pulling pikmin, I've noticed when my brother pulled on the bottom, water covered level of the Summit stage, he only pulled blue pikmin. I would guess that if olimar were trying to pluck pikmin while in a selective environment (one where certain types of pikmin would not survive) that he will only draw pikmin that are suited to the immediate environment. For environments like electricity and fire, this would only really be testable if Olimar was invincible (got invicibility star item). I think there are poison environments in the SSE.

Nice guide by the way

snowbonez

Smash Apprentice
Smash balls aren't good to train with, yea yea. But, if you didn't notice it yet, you can spike with the Final Smash.
Used on ground, digs them into the ground, can't avoid bulbmin. <---we knew that already.)
Used in the air, with someone below you, spikes them straight down.
We can use this to kill them quick, and after they're invincible, we could possibly even get in an extra hit.
Smash balls shouldn't be included in daily training, but just throwing it out there :)

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
Echo-
Hey love the guide and have been playing Olimar since the release in the US, but I've been playing significantly different than what you describe. I've seen your vids and I like your play style, so I subscribed, but I think Olimar doesn't have to wait for an opponent to come to them.

I chase after my opponents. I've been playing one of my friends who has a nasty Zero suit Samus, Zelda, and Peach, and I'm rarely throwing pikmin. I'm still trying to find the best moves that have auto cancel for Olimar, right now I'm leaning toward D-air and N-air, and then Up-tilting or grabbing if they roll away.

Yeah that sounds ******** and probably is but it works. I think that having a style that isn't focused on being reactive. Also I only use latch if I have a white Pikmin lined up. I'm just saying maybe we should play each other sometime to figure out the pikmin ditto section. ;D

Yakt-NJ

Smash Cadet
Good stuff. Thank you.

I've taken a lot from your videos and I'm currently working on trying to adapt a more hybrid game play with mixed offensives and defensives rather than a strictly offensive or defensive game. I'm sure everyone will be able to use your knowledge base as a starting point and do great things with this character in the future.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
Hey Hyde I'm definitely interested in your play style if you can manage to get some videos up sometime. One interesting thing we've noticed in the lead up to US release is that most players have different play styles with olimar, benefit of him having a wide variety of strong moves. However yours sounds considerably different still from what we've seen before, and I'm interested. Personally I'm only in the newborn stages, but i've developed similar to echo, though different. I play a fairly stationary olimar, with a Latch/FSmash heavy style, I've found some timings are incredibly difficult to approach against without attempting to go above. That leads into USmash, however i only usually start working/looking for dash-> USmash or pushing the USmash later on in each stock looking for kills. Also i haven't been great at it so far, but agree that DAir has a ton of potential, I've taken a liking to DAir -> USmash when i'm above, with fairly good results. Also as an ex marth, nothing makes me smile more than a couple hits leading into a DAir spike. I currently under use (IMO) my grab and FAir, but am working on it. Anyway back to before, would love to see some video of what your talking about.

Echo, I'm sure you expected this at some point, but after the past month of watching/reading about your play, we've got to play some time =P No rush, just wanna see how things go, honestly anyone reading this IM me whenever your available I just want to play as many people as often as I can at this point, my SN is B1J2I3.

-True

snowbonez

Smash Apprentice
I really don't think ROB's a bit hard for Olimar.
Big target, comparatively slow, and awkward to handle. to me, ROB's a huge deadman for Olimar.
What aspects make him a bad matchup for Olimar?

Mercury

Smash Apprentice
i was going to do another guide but since you expanded a lot and included things i was going to point out, i will just give you some things to add to your own, mostly mind game techniques that i use all the time and i have never lost with them as long as i don't mess up (because the mind game itself is intricate and very difficult to read), which i have done a couple times because it's a little difficult.

Mercury said:
I've noticed that Whistling after all my Pikmin are plucked makes it easier for me to consider what my next move should be just because it orders them, versus them being in the order you plucked them in, which isn't always such a great order; you can kill two birds with one stone by WACing out of somebody trying to take advantage of you plucking and order your Pikmin at the same time at the same time. You should always do this because no matter what, you are guaranteed to have 2 of at least one color of Pikmin if you have 6 out, which can dictate your designated in the beginning of the game. It may not as you start out with Olimar, but as you get better and better, using Pikmin to your advantage will become more second nature to you, and learning this sooner than later helps a lot.

Sometimes you will scare the enemy into playing passively if you just stand there as if you are waiting for an attack (I am talking about the beginning of the game, when most Olimar's pluck), and this is an especially useful tactic if you spawn with a red pikmin because an early Fsmash or Usmash with a red is very easily chained into attacks that will if properly connected can put the enemy at 50%+ range. Don't let not having red pikmin stop you from doing this, but don't expect to get in the same % range without them either.

Typically, you will be able to tell with practice which pikmin are more optimal based on the situation. Try to use your whistle as much as possible (without giving the opponent openings) to maximize your advantages with each given situation, because if you don't, you are gimping yourself a lot. Whistling is extremely important to playing Olimar well, and not Whistling can leave you being punished for moves that work slightly differently just because you are using the wrong Pikmin; i.e. attempting to Fsmash with a purple Pikmin only to have them not fly as far, followed by them running right past you and getting you into a combo (i've seen this happen a lot, it's probably the most common and most punishable example).

If it seems hard for you to tell what the line looks like, try SHing forward and DIng back, and throwing pikmin at your opponent. As long as you legitimately attempt to latch pikmin on the enemy, they won't realize that you are trying to memorize the pikmin formation and even if they do, you should throw to latch where they would be if they came after you. Don't worry about them killing your pikmin, as long as you only throw a couple to stop them from rushing you, you can pluck two more and easily memorize what the colors are, just know that they go to the back of the line when they are plucked (so the one you pluck 1st would go 5th, and the second in the back, assuming both thrown pikmin are killed (same goes with the order in which you throw Pikmin)). It can be very difficult to memorize all 6 pikmin at first, especially if they're all different colors, but with practice it will become second nature.

Okay yea, here's the mind game AT. I call it the Mercury Mix Up. Actually, I don't really (I just call it getting *****), but since this is a lot to explain and you can't just name off a bunch of buttons to hit, just refer to it as that since I made this up after multiple attempts at improv until one match I did this flawlessly and didn't even take damage on my stock.

Mercury said:
Typically, Olimar is a DoT (Damage over Time) character, but he can fight characters like Marth, MK, and other characters that otherwise are incredibly difficult as they easily gimp Olimar's DoT ability, the only difference is that you are forced to use late % mix ups earlier, which isn't exactly wrong but it takes better timing and can decay your knock back and not kill to later % than usual... personally, I think that's a good trade.

P1

The way you do this, as you alluded to in the guide already, is Dthrow-Usmash comboing. this is where the chain begins, and you can get off any series of combos right here, an obvious one being to jump and juggle with Uair, but that's not always the optimal move. Against characters like Marth, you can vary it up by switching to yellow (or any other character but purple, but yellow can help you get a safer distanced throw) if you feel like they might try to counter, throwing up to attach, FF and either grab -- and double-attack with your latched pikmin then Dthrow-Usmash again, or Uair if their percentage is too high -- before Marth lands or jump up to Uair, OR just Usmash. Juggling is a HUGE thing with Olimar vs fast/ranged characters because it's the one thing that Olimar excels at and which fast characters can't trump (and as an extention this and possibly other combos that I haven't found), it can be full of bluffing and disguising your moves because as long as you don't let the enemy DI to Olimar's back, he can always hit them with any of the above techniques along with Up-Bing if they DI in front of him, which juggles them back up as well. Your trump card for them DIing directly behind you is to Dsmash and hope you can, if not juggle them and reset then at least push them to the edge of the level, then pressure them off to grab the edge (you can also shield grab but don't continuously try it once they get up and you miss once, just move away and try to restart the mix up).

As you're juggling, pay attention to your position relative to the edge you're facing, and control the center of the map using the above chain. You will either vertically KO them over time or scare them into DIing toward the edge of the platform where they think they will have a better chance at recovery; frankly, they do but I have a way of minimizing this as well which is part 2 and what makes this advanced enough to name it after myself (lulz).

P2

First, you need to learn how to sweet spot edges with Fsmash. Typically, someone on the edge will do 1 of 3 things - stall recover, jump recover, or roll recover. If they try to stall you, then you Fsmash them back past the ledge; if they try to jump and possibly Fair or just try double jumping past you, be ready to Up-B and either reset the juggling mixup or reset the edge-guarding mixup. Your Up-B has incredible range and damage for such a safe move and is very effective when used properly and in the right situation. If they roll recover, and this is what takes the most practice, you either Dsmash if they roll behind you for the same reason you Dsmash when you're juggling, or Fsmash if they land in front of you. Roll recovering is the most dangerous thing for Olimar here, so be most cautious of this and don't just click any button hoping you got the right one.

It's worth mentioning that in the edge guarding mix up, it's more important that you don't let a roll recovery turn into you being damaged (just imagine Marth getting an Fair on you close range), however it's more USEFUL for you to Up-B him as the juggle combo is definitely where Olimar is at the advantage vses trying to fight on the ground with a fast, agile character and that resets it.

Sidenotes:

The biggest mistakes I make using this happen on both sides. On the edge guarding, I will not react fast enough to a roll recovery and Fsmash when I needed to Dsmash, or just flat out miss the Fsmash on a stall recovery. My best advice would be not to charge up your smash attack because once you do that, you are on a timer. You should be doing such a ridiculous amount of damage to your enemy in this mix up that charging on smash just to get an extra 10-20% is not worth the risk. ONLY react to the enemy when you are edge guarding, and if you mess up then you MUST run away because now you are way too close and your combo is beyond being reset.

On the juggling, especially with fast falling characters (well actually this isn't a big mistake, but when people read this they will start to do this as my friend already does this and he sucks), the enemy will try to delay a fast fall to make your attack timing even more difficult. Because of this, it's less of a good idea to Up-B. Don't be afraid to use both Up attacks and B altogether, but once they start doing this, you are going to have to close in on the flexibility that you let the enemy DI away, and you basically need to have the enemy vertically above you, but horizontally right in front of you. From here, you Up-B/grab if they stay in front of you, but if they DI on top of you, then Usmash/Uair.
But yea. Olimar's should learn to do this well, it will advance your Olimar so much because even though it can be done on fast characters, it works on virtually anyone at almost all percentages. It can be as much of a game turn around as an infinite chain grab because Olimar is constantly at an advantage as long as he just times his hits correctly. When you begin to master this, it will become incredibly useful, as there is an alternate method of attacking for almost every situation and makes you nearly completely unpredictable as long as you play it right, so it no longer matters which character you verse as long as you learn the timing for each one (not big differences).

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
True- I don't have Capture card but I will send a 3-minute vid of my playing once I get one against my friend's Peach. He is pretty sick with her, and annoying. I also hope to show off my whistling ability in the vid when I get a chance. Expect a clip from me in like five days, traveling home meant no wii for me.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
man...so much info in here. And I haven't even read through the responses yet @_@

regarding upB as an attack, it's pretty amazing, especially as a combo finisher or a surprise attack from below if your opponent is recovering near the ceiling [the way Snake might].

as a combo finisher, if you send them up [see link at the end of the post], they'll DI left or right to avoid getting juggled, which is when you nail them with the UpB. Since they're DI'ing left or right, they'll fly significantly further in that direction because they won't expect the UpB.

Near the ceiling, that just takes mindgames/spacing [and the right Pikmin...Blue/Red/Purple are awesome for this]

anyway, here's a video where I utilize upB pretty well. There are a couple times where I chose not to UpB and where I would have knocked the opponent away, I either got outprioritized or I traded hits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQK7MvCoU3c

toasty (Olimar) Vs. 7 (Samus)

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
nice match. But when you missed with the Up+B your opponent made it back to the ledge the same time you did. So I guess use it to fake them out.

Fautor Animus

Smash Cadet
I approve :)

Echo-
Hey love the guide and have been playing Olimar since the release in the US, but I've been playing significantly different than what you describe. I've seen your vids and I like your play style, so I subscribed, but I think Olimar doesn't have to wait for an opponent to come to them.

I chase after my opponents. I've been playing one of my friends who has a nasty Zero suit Samus, Zelda, and Peach, and I'm rarely throwing pikmin. I'm still trying to find the best moves that have auto cancel for Olimar, right now I'm leaning toward D-air and N-air, and then Up-tilting or grabbing if they roll away.

Yeah that sounds ******** and probably is but it works. I think that having a style that isn't focused on being reactive. Also I only use latch if I have a white Pikmin lined up. I'm just saying maybe we should play each other sometime to figure out the pikmin ditto section. ;D
You too? I would suggest for you not using the up-tilt, the short-hop n-air works better as you can direct it's movement. His D-air has landing lag depending on when you use it. Have you tried using his f-air with a combination of fast falling to push people off the stage? I use it a bit more at high percentages. If you're a bit more aggressive than most Olimar player, such as I, then i would suggest using his dash-canceled up-smash, oh, and I would love to have an olimar ditto with you.

Mercury

Smash Apprentice
man...so much info in here. And I haven't even read through the responses yet @_@

regarding upB as an attack, it's pretty amazing, especially as a combo finisher or a surprise attack from below if your opponent is recovering near the ceiling [the way Snake might].

as a combo finisher, if you send them up [see link at the end of the post], they'll DI left or right to avoid getting juggled, which is when you nail them with the UpB. Since they're DI'ing left or right, they'll fly significantly further in that direction because they won't expect the UpB.

Near the ceiling, that just takes mindgames/spacing [and the right Pikmin...Blue/Red/Purple are awesome for this]

anyway, here's a video where I utilize upB pretty well. There are a couple times where I chose not to UpB and where I would have knocked the opponent away, I either got outprioritized or I traded hits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQK7MvCoU3c

toasty (Olimar) Vs. 7 (Samus)
that was a great match, you pretty much did almost exactly what i was explaining in my monster of a post above. you really shouldn't try to Up-B TOO much though, because it's throws vertically and the hit decay will make it less useful when you most need it. just keep alternating from Up-B, Usmash and Uair and you probably would've gotten that 3 stock.

i can't get over the spike you did on Samus when she was around 50%, that was hilarious. i didn't even know it worked that well, you probably tipped it.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
Olimar's spike is one of the best I've seen thus far in brawl, and as an ex marth i absolutely love it. Olimar has a scary time near the edge, but as you get more comfortable around it I'd Highly suggest learning to use Oli's spike well, it essentially prevents your opponent from recovering at stage height or above, something that will only become more useful as we become more familiar with ledge hogging in brawl and even just ledge guarding in general. I cannot stress enough though the use of this move, much like you use the down throw in your style description mercury, I use the DAir into an USmash at lower percents, but it is effective for juggling at any % if you hit it right. The hit will seem tricky at first, too close to the ground you'll be stuck with some landing lag and the opponent may not fly up as high, however there is a point you can DAir, spike them down which then bounces them up, and still finish the move so you do not have the early landing lag, allowing you to work into whatever you need. Its a great alternative, especially against opponents focused on the horizontal game not expecting much of Olimar's SH air game/approach. Just another alternative to add to the repertoire, were learning more and more about olimar, can't wait to see what his game develops into.

Mercury I'd love a video showing your style/tech/approach just as I would hydes, I have a good idea what your talking about, especially seeing parts of it in Toasty's video (good game Toasty! =) ) but would enjoy seeing yours specifically to get a fuller understanding of what your writing about. Unfortunately I am out of town this weekend, but I fully expect to start matching up against some of you this week, AIM: B1J2I3, don't hide from me =P Great work and keep it up, I was worried about these boards coming alive in a bad way after US release, but loving the work everyones been doing and sharing.

-True

linksta888

Smash Apprentice
Hey, this was a very great guide, but could someone go a little more in depth about Olimar's down B attack? More about the order in which the pikmin are put into? I have tried testing this but It either seems to be in a random order, or just in a random order but grouped in how many there are.

Diver

Smash Rookie
At the beginning of a match, after your first whistle, the pikmin will line up as follows :

Red > Yello > Blu > White > Purple.
It will skip over any pikmin that are not there.

From then on, until the end of the match, every time you whistle the pikmin will line up to the next colour.
Even if you die, or throw all your pikmin off the ledge.

The only thing I don't know,
is if every time you whistle, the pikmin switch to the next pikmin since the last time you whistled,
or if its based off of the next pikmin in line.

Echo :
Your guide is awesome, I've learned so much from it !

Another thing I realized,
[that works at least against Wario and Meta Knight,]
Is that Olimar can chainthrow at low %s.

At low percents, his backthrow will send an opponent just far enough for Olimar to turn around and grab them again, and throw again, regardless of pikmin colour.

However, at higher percents Olimar can only chainthrow with Red and White Pikmin
[Yellow throws enemies at a wider arc; Therefore easier to DI out of]
Blue throws enemies too far;
Purple doesn't have enough range to even grab.

But yeah. It works pretty good, and you should be able to get at least three to four throws off. That's about 40% I think, if used properly.

Also, whenever I'm facing Meta Knight, it seems like when he's comboing me on the ground, I can break it up with a jab + double jab + tilt, to a dash attack to a nair.

That was a combo I once did, it worked good, but the point is that Olimar actually has either a lot of priority with his Olimar attacks, or since he's short he can hit underneath other people's regular attacks. Either way, perhaps using Olimar to attack isn't so bad after all.

A side not, that you probably allready know, but was not mentioned in the guide, was that the Jab has like no knockback. In training mode I did a jab to somebody that was on 999 damage, and nothing happened. Then I did the double jab and BAM dead. So the second one has knockback at least :p

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
Nice guide. Can white pikmin survive in water for a long time? I was playing in Delfino in the water, and everyone of my pikmin except for blue and white died. The white eventually died, but not right away. Any explanation?

Rorus Raz

Smash Rookie
Very powerful guide and very well done.

[bows to the power of Echo.]

Also, for Whistle Armor, how long is the window of opportunity? Is it just the split second that the move starts, or is there a margin for error?
I believe it's the part of the animation where Olimar is lifting his head back. But that was a while ago and there might be more precise timing on it now.

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
Hello. I've been lurking on these forums for quite a while now, but I've never actually made an account until now. I have a question about strategies against other characters.

How do you punish a Wario that is riding his motor bike at you? Whenever a motor bike is coming at me, all I can do is shield. I don't know what to do after that. The Wario usually just turns his motor bike around and comes at me again, and then I just shield. I don't know how to punish it. Any tips?

TheOJ

Smash Journeyman
I've been playing heavy Olimar for a little while now. So, I noticed you didn't have much on the actual grabbing movement. I'm not sure but I think depending on your pikmin, your grab range changes. white -long, purple -not so long. If that is true, doesn't that mean there also might be different amounts of time that each pikmin takes to go out and grab/miss?

Kabuto Mushi

Smash Journeyman
Hey, Echo. I saw on one of you Youtube vids you said you use Gamecube over the Wii controller. any hints on why that is? Using that C-stick for smashs feels like cheating to me. >.>

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
You too? I would suggest for you not using the up-tilt, the short-hop n-air works better as you can direct it's movement. His D-air has landing lag depending on when you use it. Have you tried using his f-air with a combination of fast falling to push people off the stage? I use it a bit more at high percentages. If you're a bit more aggressive than most Olimar player, such as I, then i would suggest using his dash-canceled up-smash, oh, and I would love to have an olimar ditto with you.
I would love to ditto you as well. I'm getting better at keeping track of the pikmin I have in order without Whistling which I think helps when fighting people used to Olimar.

Olimar's spike is one of the best I've seen thus far in brawl, and as an ex marth i absolutely love it. Olimar has a scary time near the edge, but as you get more comfortable around it I'd Highly suggest learning to use Oli's spike well, it essentially prevents your opponent from recovering at stage height or above, something that will only become more useful as we become more familiar with ledge hogging in brawl and even just ledge guarding in general. I cannot stress enough though the use of this move, much like you use the down throw in your style description mercury, I use the DAir into an USmash at lower percents, but it is effective for juggling at any % if you hit it right. The hit will seem tricky at first, too close to the ground you'll be stuck with some landing lag and the opponent may not fly up as high, however there is a point you can DAir, spike them down which then bounces them up, and still finish the move so you do not have the early landing lag, allowing you to work into whatever you need. Its a great alternative, especially against opponents focused on the horizontal game not expecting much of Olimar's SH air game/approach. Just another alternative to add to the repertoire, were learning more and more about olimar, can't wait to see what his game develops into. -True
True-
I have recorded a few 3 minute matches against my roommate's Ness, ugh, and they show some of the style that I play but I'll see if I can learn how to send the clips and copy them. I believe I get a spike off every now and then.

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
I've been playing heavy Olimar for a little while now. So, I noticed you didn't have much on the actual grabbing movement. I'm not sure but I think depending on your pikmin, your grab range changes. white -long, purple -not so long. If that is true, doesn't that mean there also might be different amounts of time that each pikmin takes to go out and grab/miss?
Sorry for the double post first of all. But I think I can answer this, partially. :/

The range for the grab goes thus:
blue>white=red=yellow>Purple

Blue best, white 2nd, red and yellow are pretty close, I haven't checked the withdraw time of a missed grab though or a running grab. I'm pretty sure that a running grab shortens the distance, I'll reply and edit if I find suitable evidence or have tested.

*EDIT*
Well yeah the ranges are the same for red Yellow and White

blue>white=red=yellow>Purple

Running is lagging more if you miss than the normal and is shorter, but I think that my eyes are decieved.

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
I think Olimar's grabs are definitely shorter-ranged when running. It certainly looks like it.

Echo, thank you for the tip on using aerials to knock Wario off of the bike. Now I know it's actually possible to attack Wario while he's driving. Thanks again!

Diver

Smash Rookie
It appears that Olimar can grab Wario off of his bike [At least with Blu pikmin, I haven't tested with any other kind]

lazi_wun

Smash Rookie
First of all I'd like to thank you for your great guide

I've always been faithful to Samus as my main... but her performance in brawl isn't what I expected (and I don't like turning into zero suit when my friends feel like playing with FS's), so I've been looking into Olimar as a replacement. Your guide has definitely helped me develop both my skills and interest.

Anyways keep up the great guide... I'll be looking for your next youtube video

kafke

Smash Apprentice
First off, I wanted to say how nice this guide has come along. I have a few questions/comments for you NC-Echo. Did you know when you use U+B when recovering, if the opponent is right next to the chain (not in front of) like at the very tip of the ledge, the pikmin will first attack the opponent and then grab the ledge if they are close enough. I didn't see it in the guide so I wanted to point it out.

2. How to you edge guard kirby? I play against my bro, and every time he goes to recover with his U+B I just get pummeled. I stand no chance. You say it's easy but I would like to know how you go about it. Otherwise Kirby is an easy match-up for me.

3. Would you mind exchanging FCs? I would like to fight you, and my bro offered to help with the Kirby section of the guide. Thanks.

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
First off, I wanted to say how nice this guide has come along. I have a few questions/comments for you NC-Echo. Did you know when you use U+B when recovering, if the opponent is right next to the chain (not in front of) like at the very tip of the ledge, the pikmin will first attack the opponent and then grab the ledge if they are close enough. I didn't see it in the guide so I wanted to point it out.

2. How to you edge guard kirby? I play against my bro, and every time he goes to recover with his U+B I just get pummeled. I stand no chance. You say it's easy but I would like to know how you go about it. Otherwise Kirby is an easy match-up for me.

3. Would you mind exchanging FCs? I would like to fight you, and my bro offered to help with the Kirby section of the guide. Thanks.
Hi there, mate. With Kirby, I don't think it is wise to edge-hog him. Kirby can float, float, float up to recover. On top of that, his Up+B gives an extra boost to get back on the platform. I believe it is better for Olimar to edge-GUARD Kirby, and not edge-HOG. Olimar should stay near the edge while Kirby is recovering. Olimar can do a number of things. Forward-Air into Kirby. Charge up a forward-smash and wait for Kirby to flip back on the edge. If Kirby is high enough, a well-placed Up+B Pikmin Chain will knock Kirby away. I hope that helps. And I know I'm not the amazing NC-Echo, but I just wanted to help out anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom