• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NC-Echo's Olimar guide *New videos added

Status
Not open for further replies.

COLDshiver

Smash Cadet
Great guide! This will be of great help when Brawl comes out :D I've been thinking about maining Olimar atm because he looks like he has so much potential. But I will see when Brawl comes out.

Catmurderer

Smash Rookie
Is it possible to use the whistle to cancel the lag of any of his moves? Such as when Olimar throws a pikmin, can he recall it midair?

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
I'll update the guide again hopefully after this weekend. Classes have been crazy over the past few days and any free time has been spent playing. I hope to get a start on character match-ups next.

joeysmash

Smash Ace
NNID
papakarcher
Could you do some research on certain pikmin being plucked on certain parts of stages? I remember Sakurai mentioning this on the dojo, but some clear cut info would be cool.

Uh i have another misconception i have heard that, as far as i know, is untrue that you could look into. I've seen many people saying that the terrain makes plucking certain Pikmin more likely, though im pretty sure it's untrue but It's be good to have confirmation
Thanks

Edit: Oops didn't see above poster, sorry

joeysmash

Smash Ace
NNID
papakarcher
Uh i have another misconception i have heard that, as far as i know, is untrue that you could look into. I've seen many people saying that the terrain makes plucking certain Pikmin more likely, though im pretty sure it's untrue but It's be good to have confirmation
Thanks

Edit: Oops didn't see above poster, sorry
hehehe its cool.

Acually, it does state on the dojo terrian effects what pikmin are plucked. such knowledge would be useful.

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
Could you do some research on certain pikmin being plucked on certain parts of stages? I remember Sakurai mentioning this on the dojo, but some clear cut info would be cool.
I'll check it out this weekend. Hopefully I can get some concrete statistics on it.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
Hey Echo, do you by chance remember in detail your match against Lozr's Marth: http://youtube.com/watch?v=l47gyvqofpQ I can't be certain from the video, but watch carefully at about 1:05-1:06. I'm pretty sure you grabbed marth from the ledge, almost as soon as he had grabbed it, certainly when he should have had invincibility frames at least. Perhaps he had not quite grabbed it yet, but the way marth suddenly dipped it really looks like the computer had sweet spotted the ledge just prior to your grab. Going off of youtube quality its kinda tough to know for certain, but if you remember it clearly, or anyone with the game wants to try grabbing people off the ledge, or even if someone can get a better paused picture than me showing the grab/throw prior to marth catching the ledge, it'd be appreciated and an interesting development for Olimer if what I saw was right. Thanks in advance,

-True

Textbook Ninja

Smash Journeyman
While practicing my combo I have scene some pretty wacky grabs... like the opponent would be under the ledge, and the pikmin would grab him, Ive also seen what you are describing... Im curious as well...

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
Does yellow pikmin do more damage to squirtle?
Does red pikmin do more damage to ivysaur?
Does blue pikmin do more damage to charizard?
Yellow and Red Pikmin both have offensive elemental properties. So you should ask about this in the PTrainer boards, I'm pretty sure I saw a thread specifically on the subject. Blue Pikmin only have a passive ability which gives them immunity from drowning.

Well i mean is his weight close to the melee sheik and Marth? Heavier? Lighter? I mained Ganondorf in Meele and if I'm going to make a transition i should start trainign with a lighter character to get a feel for their style.

gah Ik i mean in term of Damage KO's. Even though everyone's lighter Bowser and Jigglypuff die at different Percentages, and I'm talkign about weight in terms of knockback upon being hit

Rhyme

Smash Lord
I still don't see any reflection of what I asked you to test, Echo. <.<

Does the evolution from leaf to bud to flower affect the chances that you'll get an elemental hit with the pikmin attacks/toss?

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
Echo has a life too just like us =), As he said above school work is causing trouble, but nothing this weekend is a little concerning almost. Hopefully question answers, updates, etc will be started again soon. So far the way I see it, and I was lazy only checked this page, but current questions are:

Does pikmin evolution aid elemental attack % chance.

Does terrain pikmin are plucked at affect the color of pikmin plucked?

What % are most common to be KOed at, compared to other brawl characters too if possible/known. (The videos give a relatively good idea of this Shino, I'd check them out and see for yourself)

Exploration/findings about weird grabs noticed, for example grabbing the opponent while they are on the ledge.

I'm sure a To Do list though is not what Echo is hoping to come back to, we should all just be patient =P Textbook if you are able to answer any of these I'm sure it'd be appreciated.

-True

Textbook Ninja

Smash Journeyman
Does pikmin evolution aid elemental attack % chance.
No. The more Ive been exploring the evolution, the more Ive lost faith that it changes anything at all, just like snake and his different c4 charges, nothing different excpet appearance.

Does terrain pikmin are plucked at affect the color of pikmin plucked?
Honestly, Ive thought that it does - but Im sitting here trying it out... and its completley random - tried on 3 different stages and a custom stage with different platforms. Its just random imo.

What % are most common to be KOed at, compared to other brawl characters too if possible/known. (The videos give a relatively good idea of this Shino, I'd check them out and see for yourself)
*Correction* Depends on the character you fight against, you can easily survive up to 150% but oli tends to be sent far at 80s and 90s

Exploration/findings about weird grabs noticed, for example grabbing the opponent while they are on the ledge.
No idea yet, I just barley started looking in to this, Ill try to answer this by tomorrow if echo hasnt by then.

Hope that kind of helps... If not - sorry >_<

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
I'll be updating very soon, hopefully later today. This weekend was spent playing and I gathered a lot of the information necessary to update.

...I meant the Weight Olimar will be KO'ed at in comparison to other characters, but I have discovered it's somewhere between Sheik's and Zelda's weights...so nvm

kafke

Smash Apprentice
wow, I like the match up part of the guide. Of course it needs some work but I like the fact that we can just look up the character we are having trouble against. Awesome guide!

AthrunZala

Smash Journeyman
hey echo and text book i sent you both pm's regaurding olimar. if you could get back to me with a answer it would be great. thank you.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
ooOOOooo an elitist olimar question, I'm curious now... =P

Anyway loving the indepth character work Echo, I've got a nightmare 10 days of college midterms/papers/presentations coming up as well so i feel for ya. I wouldn't try too hard to get this done before the 9th, its nice for the rest of us to look forward to it and read it, but unless you expect everyone to give up on Oli right after the release I expect the guide will be used/worked on/updated/revised for a long time still.

If I did have any suggestion/idea about the character section your working on though it would be trying to upload/link a good video showing what you've described, especially with difficult matchups like Marth. That way people could see the issues, have ideas, and discuss things. In reality for now, until a stable metagame is established, its more like all of us here are responsible for how good Olimar is seen as a character, by combining ideas/techniques/perspectives we can work together to overcome Olimar's troubles. Once the tricks start getting much more complex, and answers to weaknesses become technical and difficult, then olimar players will have to focus on their own situation more, but for now at least while you've got all the basics down we can all suggest help while we catch up our own Olies. (or would it be Olis... a discussion for the pikmen thread i suppose...)

Anyway Good Luck with the work, midterm due dates can't be too much longer and SB is around the corner.

-True

Kirby-oh

Smash Apprentice
Something I didn't quite understand from the guide. I know Pikmin can be killed after being used in the N-B. However, if you whiff a down smash (or something similar) the Pikmin can be hit?

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
Something I didn't quite understand from the guide. I know Pikmin can be killed after being used in the N-B. However, if you whiff a down smash (or something similar) the Pikmin can be hit?
They can be killed after or during any move since they are no longer trailing behind you. They also will sometimes randomly stop trailing behind you.

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
I just updated the guide with some info about Olimar's grab while characters are clinging. Check the top of the guide for the new update.

Ween

Smash Cadet
I just updated the guide with some info about Olimar's grab while characters are clinging. Check the top of the guide for the new update.

I saw it but Marth wasn't in there and that's the one being ledge grabbed in the video.

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
I saw it but Marth wasn't in there and that's the one being ledge grabbed in the video.
About that, Marth isn't actually being grabbed off the edge from his resting while clinging position. What happened is that Marth had just grabbed the edge and hadn't yet fallen to where his arm is fully extended. Therefore a portion of his body was above the edge and thats what I grabbed. It similar to the mechanic for pulling other characters off the edge; except with the characters listed, enough of their body is above the edge even when they are hanging as low as their animation allows them.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
Awesome =)
Two more questions, one serious one not. As the saying goes each answer only leads to more questions... Anyway, are these players able to be grabbed despite their invincibility frames? I can't imagine so, as that would suggest you could grab a player invincible still from recently being KOed, but then your marth grab explanation and my understanding of ledge grabbing invincibility frames don't match. Its likely my understanding is not correct, I've never done it myself, but I thought invincibility frames started as soon as someone grabbed the ledge. That invincibility frames and the game determining you have grabbed the ledge started in the exact same instant. I am inclined to believe your marth explanation though, so clarification from anyone who knows the ledge invincibility frame data would be awesome.

Second, like I said nothing important, but I gotta ask, were you researching this before I asked about it?

-True

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom