• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most overrated character

tocador

Smash Lord
It's hard to say that but falco,GaW and *sigh* diddy are overrated!

I know everyone preety much agree with me that falco and diddy are over, but im sure i will get kinda flamed for saying GaW is ><.

pizzapie7

Smash Ace
The middle of this thread made my day.

lolnubs

I had always thought Falco, G&W, and Olimar were overrated.

Master Knight DH

Smash Journeyman
Wario is not overrated, his range is made up for his unpredictable approach and he is hard to punish in the air, if you shield, he can instead bite you.
Unpredictable? He has no projectiles. In a game where defense is overly encouraged, so lot of good any unpredictability would do him anyway. That's like saying Max in the Advance Wars series makes up for his -1 range indirects with 120% firepower for direct units. In the Advance Wars 2 environment.

I'm not even going to need Pikmin Chain to punish aerial Warios when Pit has working range at least.

OMNIKIDXXX

Smash Cadet
id say falco and MK ,,and dedede
ther still high tier characters and meta knight will probably always stay top,,but overrated that MK has a big gap over the other characters except for snake

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Unpredictable? He has no projectiles. In a game where defense is overly encouraged, so lot of good any unpredictability would do him anyway. That's like saying Max in the Advance Wars series makes up for his -1 range indirects with 120% firepower for direct units. In the Advance Wars 2 environment.
iirc Max was top/high tier in most of the games. <<

Thenagain I don't remember much.

Also Wario is very unpredictable. He is so good at faking out and baiting his opponents with his ridiculous air brakes and acceleration, his unpredictability very much so makes up for his short range to a large degree.

Master Knight DH

Smash Journeyman
iirc Max was top/high tier in most of the games. <<

Thenagain I don't remember much.

Also Wario is very unpredictable. He is so good at faking out and baiting his opponents with his ridiculous air brakes and acceleration, his unpredictability very much so makes up for his short range to a large degree.
Most characters can fake out and bait just as good at least. And they certainly can do more than that.

And Max was only top or high in AW1 if anything because of the 150% power boost. I am talking about the AW2 Max, who has no way to deal with human-handled infantry+indirect spam, which alone was already overpowered the way the game is set up. Top tier characters in AW2 abuse infantry+indirect spam.

Dogboy

Smash Apprentice
Meta and all of the top tier chs. It's not the ch, it's the person using them. I've actually lost before using mk, so he's not a surefire win machine. He's fast and deals high amounts of low damage hits, and every B is a recovery, and has high win percentages in his matchups. So? If the palyer dosn't know how to use him well, then it doesn't matter.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Meta and all of the top tier chs. It's not the ch, it's the person using them.
Any character in top tier is doomed to responses like these. The latter part is common sense, and the tier list doesn't support anything less.

I've actually lost before using mk, so he's not a surefire win machine.
Didn't your last statement make this true? Meta Knight was never advertised as "unbeatable".

He's fast and deals high amounts of low damage hits, and every B is a recovery, and has high win percentages in his matchups. So? If the palyer dosn't know how to use him well, then it doesn't matter.
Actually, he doesn't deal a lot of damage, he can just rack up damage very fast with multiple attacks. And actually, Meta Knight has mostly 60:40s, he doesn't outright **** every character. He even has some supposed counters like Snake and Wario. At high level play, people will always know how to use their character.

rraws

Smash Rookie
Snake...all you really have to do is be aware of his odd hit boxes and u should be able to handle him pretty well.

gallax

Smash Hero
there is so much to be learned with using snake its ridiculous. no way is snake overrated. if there is any character that is overrated right now its falco.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
there is so much to be learned with using snake its ridiculous. no way is snake overrated. if there is any character that is overrated right now its falco.
I'd cosign to that.

Nice namechange, by the way.

randomness_FTW!

Smash Cadet
Falco is definitely overrated for obvious reasons. Lack of kill moves and the only early kill he can get is that chain-grab spike which most pro players can avoid (not stating that I am anywhere near pro level).

tehfatwiz

Smash Rookie
Ike

I would definitely have to say Ike. Most people only play him because of his overpowered attacks, and rarely take into consideration, his other factors, such as speed, recovery ability, etc. Most people, who have never really played Smash at a higher level before, will take one look and think "He's got a huge sword, so he must be great!", which leads to many new players choosing him, and earning him the "overrated" status.

gm jack

Smash Lord
I would definitely have to say Ike. Most people only play him because of his overpowered attacks, and rarely take into consideration, his other factors, such as speed, recovery ability, etc. Most people, who have never really played Smash at a higher level before, will take one look and think "He's got a huge sword, so he must be great!", which leads to many new players choosing him, and earning him the "overrated" status.
But any player who knows anything knows he is low tier. Hardly over rated at all.

Zeruel21

Smash Journeyman
Definitely Falco. There really isn't anything spectacular about him in the metagame, and I think that will become more clear as AT's continue to emerge in Brawl. He plays like he did in Melee, which makes him very good, but that will be worth less and less with time.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Definitely Falco. There really isn't anything spectacular about him in the metagame, and I think that will become more clear as AT's continue to emerge in Brawl. He plays like he did in Melee, which makes him very good, but that will be worth less and less with time.
You're a little too hopeful. As far as the metagame goes, the Falcos discovered a few infinites they can pull off with their laser.

And AT's ceased appearing months ago. There are hardly any to begin with.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I might have to agree with this. However, it is difficult to play well with Ike. Any noob can fsmash, fsmash, fsmash. But yeah, he fits the archetypal anime, cool hair, big sword, the list goes on. However, if his attacks are overpowered, he is balanced by his poor recovery, and slowness.

Straked owns this thread so hard. :bee:

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
That's not true in the least.
Straked is right. There's more to Snake than just his tilts. There are his projectiles, his traps, his DACUS, his mindgames etc.

Falco is definitely overrated for obvious reasons. Lack of kill moves and the only early kill he can get is that chain-grab spike which most pro players can avoid (not stating that I am anywhere near pro level).
Falco doesn't have a lack of kill moves. USmash and FSmash kill well, and Bair and DSmash are decent back-ups for them.

Answering the question at hand, I'd have to say that the most overrated character is...er... King Dedede? He's definitely good, mind you. I don't really know tbh.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
But Falco's up smash doesn't kill until 130% and has a bit of low range, fsmash is a bit slow and with sweetspot. There are reasons why sometimes Falco has bit of finish difficulty until very high percentages.

Moozle

Smash Champion
Falco has a lot of good matchups though. In my opinion it is Olimar because he gets shut down very easily by a lot of people. To me, it's all about matchups.

Pubik Vengeance

Smash Journeyman
I think Meta Knight might be actually. Don't get me wrong, I am sure he is the best character in the game, I am not trying to say he isn't.

But he suffers from what I call the "Kobe Bryant Syndrome".

Sure, Kobe Bryant may be the best player in the NBA, but the way people make him out to be, it is as if he plays against a bunch of cripples and can beat everyone alone with his eyes closed. No matter how good Kobe Bryant gets, he could never live up to what he is made out to be.

Replace Kobe Bryant with Meta Knight and the NBA with Brawl.

n88

Smash Lord
I think Meta Knight might be actually. Don't get me wrong, I am sure he is the best character in the game, I am not trying to say he isn't.

But he suffers from what I call the "Kobe Bryant Syndrome".

Sure, Kobe Bryant may be the best player in the NBA, but the way people make him out to be, it is as if he plays against a bunch of cripples and can beat everyone alone with his eyes closed. No matter how good Kobe Bryant gets, he could never live up to what he is made out to be.

Replace Kobe Bryant with Meta Knight and the NBA with Brawl.

My thoughts exactly. People constantly talk about banning MK, but his matchups are actually worse than Melee Sheik's, who I'm pretty sure was never banned. I realize that match-ups are not the only indicator of how good a character is, but they're a good starting point.

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
In Falco's defense to some of the arguments above about f-smash, d-smash (etc) not killing until a high percent:

Falco can consistency knock the percents up at a relatively fast rate so it makes the killers listed above viable.

But still, Falco is overrated.

Beta Knight

Smash Cadet
I find Lucario extremely overrated.

All of his smashes are SO SLOW and are not nearly powerful enough for the speed they come out at. Also his recover can be edgehogged quite easily since it doesn't do damage. Plus being weak when he has no damage gets annoying.

But that's just my opinion.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Are you serious? You don't need fast smashes to win. Dedede mains prove that every day, Lucario isn't overrated in the least. And Lucario has one of the better recoveries, compared to Link, Mario, and Ness.

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
I'm going with Captain Falcon on this. Mainly because people think he's so great because of his knee, taunts and punch! I use him, but he is definitely one of, if not the, worst character in the game.

Iri5hL3gaCY

Smash Cadet
in my opinion, meta knight; i dont see why he's praised so much by some of my friends;

he may be fast but that doesn't make him the best

Top Bottom