• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MLG 2014 Feedback / Discussion

Solid Jake

The Arcanum
Wobbling will most likely be legal. I just thought it would be good to feel out about it. As for other titles, it is entirely possible that Brawl or Smash 4 will be present. Even melee isn't 100% - but we will make it 100%.

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
I'm not that familiar with the current Melee metagame, however, from an spectator point of view, I'd like it to have more stages for diversity purposes, bracket pools to make it longer but not ridiculously long (Like round robin pools) and wobbling seems fine (Can't say since I'm not a top player at it...).

Not asked, but I'd really like for Brawl to be added (Would be awesome to have both games... if possible!). I would travel from Chile to the event and try to hype it as much as possible.

Anyway, awesome stuff! Hype.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
like he said, it's up in the air rn

an all-smash event would be fun, honestly. probably not wholly viable, but fun to watch

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Is it possible to have R1 of Pools to be RR and R2 to be Bracket? I'm not saying it's ideal, but it's a possibility.

Also yeah, shout outs to Brawl. Game sucks imo, but the community is beyond awesome. Support them all the way if possible.

Europhoria

Smash Lord
Pools? Whatever helps the tournament run best. I think most exposure for the players and bang for their buck would be nice(so round robin), but I understand time is a big problem with these events.
This. Generally RR pools are regarding as the best for dealing with random variance in seeding and tend to be the most fun for the most players. I personally feel that it's about hosting a tournament and providing the best tournament experience, not about hosting a giant friendlies-for-everyone event.

Run straight bracket (aka bracket pools) if you don't have time to do RR pools; so if you're expecting 1000 players and you only have 8 hours - obviously you have to do bracket pools. But for a few hundred players (200-300), our community's history tells we can do multiple rounds of RR over 2-3 days (despite what you might hear from the Apex staff).

This is pretty cool either way.

Sixth-Sense

Smash Ace
San Francisco, Venezuela (not the famous one)
I'm not that familiar with the current Melee metagame, however, from an spectator point of view, I'd like it to have more stages for diversity purposes, bracket pools to make it longer but not ridiculously long (Like round robin pools) and wobbling seems fine (Can't say since I'm not a top player at it...).

Not asked, but I'd really like for Brawl to be added (Would be awesome to have both games... if possible!). I would travel from Chile to the event and try to hype it as much as possible.

Anyway, awesome stuff! Hype.

Not a brawl fan, nor do i like it, but its part of smash and strictly wanting only melee is entirely selfish, i truly hope one or the other or both can make it in!

LLDL

Smash Hero
Round robin pools to a top 32 man bracket (however many necessary rounds)

Bring it back to the old school rule set

ban wobbling

caLviN-1260

Smash Apprentice
NNID
caLviN-1260
Wobbling will most likely be legal. I just thought it would be good to feel out about it. As for other titles, it is entirely possible that Brawl or Smash 4 will be present. Even melee isn't 100% - but we will make it 100%.

Any chance of Project M Brawl instead of Brawl?

Tony22

Smash Cadet
For Melee, a more modern ruleset should be used, though I wouldn't be opposed to Kongo Jungle 64, Rainbow Cruise, and/or Mute City being legal as a counterpick only.

If MLG is trying to reach out to inexperienced Melee players (i.e. me), they should do RR Pools. But if time is crucial and limited, and they aren't necessarily trying to reach out to newer players, then Bracket Pools would be the best.

As far as Wobbling goes, it should stay legal. Ice Climbers are even more free in Melee than they are in Brawl, even with Wobbling available.

I've seen some talk about Brawl returning as well, which would be awesome to me because I'm better at Brawl. However, if Melee is in and Brawl isn't, I have no complaints :p.

strawhats

Smash Master
Holy ****...this is actually happening? to think, melee has really experienced a revival these last few years. 2014 GON' BE GUD.

don't really care for wobbling, but its whatevs at this point in the community.
RR/Bracket pools...dont care. Prefer RR pools but its whatever again.
Go Melee 2k14.

Engo

Smash Ace
A very serious high profile event like an MLG is probably not gonna have as many friendlies as a grassroots tournament so Round Robin(which then seeds into a double elimination bracket) should be the goal to give people a good experience and it makes it way more of a challenge and accomplishment to make it into the bracket.

If this is gonna be a one time thing (which I really hope it isnt't) then the attendance will be ridiculously high and RR pools may not be feasible but if, as I hope, this is a circuit then the individual events will be much smaller(in comparison) and RR pools is totally doable with good TOing

Keep the modern rules. Wobbling legal.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
the modern list the modern stages: final d, battlefield, dreamland 64, yoshis story, pokemon stadium, singles only: FoD

FourStar

Smash Ace
Yow know not once is 64 mentioned. can we please bring 64 to MLG? can you imagine Isai ACTUALLY GOING TO TOURNAMENTS? Like come on he grew up on MLG with Melee and if you give 64 it would just bring more hype.

hot$

Smash Ace
This is so awesome. I'm sure its been said in the comments but first the return of EVO and now this? Amazing

1. Current stage list. With stadium being the only counter pick
2. Everyone seems to like bracket pools these days. Whatever is most efficient
3. Wobbing should be legal.

Vale

Smash Ace
As a spectator:
1) I'm not sure about the timeline of stage history, but I enjoy seeing Pokéfloats. I also like Brinstar, Rainbow Cruise, and Mute City though, so my opinion probably isn't reflective of a majority.
2) Bracket pools
3) Wobbling should be legal.

@other things brought up in thread
Brawl would be cool to watch, as would Smash 64 or Smash for Wii U. More adverse to P:M.

ScubaF_ingSteve

I eat stickers all the time, dude!
NNID
ScubaSteve94
Words cannot explain how insanely hyped I am for this. In middle school I watched mlg melee religiously and words cannot explain how mind breaking it is to know that I can play in one like I had dreamed for years in melee.

1. Stage List: I think for the sake of viewership, there needs to be a bigger stage selection. We would like to watch the same 6 stages, I feel like an audience we are trying to reach won't. Hopefully stuff like Dk64, Mute City, and others see their return to mix it up
2. I like round robin, it gives the most chance to play. Feasibly its not really ideal, bracket is better for speed and for top players, but round robin is good for the community.
3. Wobbling should be legal, the fact that it is banned shows the community has the wrong approach when considering legality.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Stage List: I'm undecided. The FC tourney in 2012 was really interesting and had many throwback stages (Such as MKII). I thought it was really fun, though most people avoided the counterpicks and stuck to neutrals. Assuming melee would be at the MLG circuit (multiple events), it might be cool to have each one have 1-2 old counterpicks (Brinstar, Mute, Pokefloats, Rainbow Cruise, MKII, Kongo Jungle 64, etc etc). Each event could have different extras, so there would be a little extra strategy, but it would still be competitive. ALSOO it would allow stage bans in Bo5 sets (which isn't the case in current rules).

Format: IDK ... Pools or bracket pools. NOTNOTNOT Straight bracket plz

Wobbling: perfectly fine

If MLG has dota, sc2 and MELEE too ... idk i might have to quit life

Cassio

Smash Master
Honestly in the wake of Smash 4's release I think this really wont be a good idea unless its run congruent smash 4. People complain about Nintendo not supporting the community, how's it going to look when the community doesnt support their new game? Theyre already super touchy about letting us stream stuff as it is.

It's also going to squander the ability to integrate a new generation of gamers into the smash community.

I'd love to support any smash game's ability to grow, and would love if someone could genuinely alleviate these concerns. But at the moment I can see this doing long-term damage.

Rizner

Smash Ace
I also support the idea of multiple smash games -- Melee + Project M ideally, unless the new Smash is out by this time. If that's out, I'd say Smash for the Wii U + Melee

Frogman751

Smash Cadet
Where the **** is Jason?

Stage List:
Neutrals: Battle Field, Final Destination, Dreamland 64, Fountain of Dreams, Yoshi's Story
Counter Picks: Pokemon Stadium

Pools: Definitely RR because you should definitely have this game for the whole circuit, melee has the hype, ride the hype wave.
Wobbling: Legal

Brawl is dieing, forget that ****, Project M is way more hype, PM 3.0 out Monday (9th), all characters are in the game now (whole brawl cast plus roy and mewtwo), brawl made to play like melee is hype as hell. Smash 4 is most likely going to be gross, Smash 64 is legit but too niche honestly (dont get me wrong i love 64 smash, great game).

Lets be real though...No other smash game deserves to be in the MLG circuit slot other than Melee, this game has such a long legacy, such a faithful community, and game that is so polished and is genuinely beautiful to watch. Great spectator game (broke fighting game stream records at EVO, yeah melee brought the most viewers). If a smasher isn't attending your events you can be damn sure they're watching. I'm sure if you partnered up with VGBootCamp something good could come from that.

I'm rambling...I'm done...also have teams, you can look up the rule sets.

K.Louis

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2836-0421-0500
Brawl Back Roomer

lol

If people don't support their game then they should make make better games. I'm all for helping Smash 4 out if it's good but sucking Nintendo's **** shouldn't be a factor in deciding whether or not we host/attend a tournament. It's been 13 years and we've died once and grown again to 3rd biggest fighting game without them (and at moments, against them) and we're only headed to bigger and better places. If they want to jump onboard then great but no other community would even think of this backassed logic where we have to reach out to a company to have them help us support their game.

ScubaF_ingSteve

I eat stickers all the time, dude!
NNID
ScubaSteve94
People who are saying project: M don't understand the basic concept of the game being a mod. It's not an official game and while it is amazing and we all may love it, it has no chance of being sponsored for an event like this. Having its own events and having it as an event running with another smash tournament is fine, to run it at this level is asking for trouble and to be honest would look terrible on the part of MLG and Sundance. Imagine trying to reach out to nintendo for support when you're sponsoring a mod of their game, it would be a joke. The only reason brawl is "dying" is because Sm4sh is in the foreseeable future, even despite that brawl numbers are still good and allowing brawl to be played alongside melee would only benefit the community. It brings out a different audience to a large scale event growing the community. People who are pushing for Project: M, while I admire you and I admire the mod as a whole, I absolutely adore it, save yourself the time.

lol

If people don't support their game then they should make make better games. I'm all for helping Smash 4 out if it's good but sucking Nintendo's **** shouldn't be a factor in deciding whether or not we host/attend a tournament. It's been 13 years and we've died once and grown again to 3rd biggest fighting game without them (and at moments, against them) and we're only headed to bigger and better places. If they want to jump onboard then great but no other community would even think of this backassed logic where we have to reach out to a company to have them help us support their game.
Oh my god the ignorance in this post is ridiculous. The fact that he is a backroomer and you're someone whose joined in the past month can speak volumes. Better yet, I hope you don't attend on anyone taking you seriously when you using a dick sucking joke as an analogy. He is merely stating a very valid opinion. Communities can live or die by first party support. Look at the numbers of League and Starcraft because of their support. We are barely a blip on the radar compared to those numbers. Firsty part support is sure fire success. Stop being ignorant to that. We all want to see melee but he has a valid point when looking at potential growth we can gain from nintendo.

Top Bottom