• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MK Boards - General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

brinboy789

Smash Champion
are you guys talking about the card game magic? cause if you are. i have no idea what it is :laugh:. my uncle gave me a magic cards pack, and i was like thanks...lol, wtf is this.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
are you guys talking about the card game magic? cause if you are. i have no idea what it is :laugh:. my uncle gave me a magic cards pack, and i was like thanks...lol, wtf is this.
Yeah, they're talking about Magic The Gathering. You probably don't understand because they're discussing Type 1 aka REALLY old cards.

EDIT: Actually, idk. They were talking about Type 1 earlier, I know.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I don't understand because right when my friends finally convinced me to start playing many years ago, they all stopped, and thus so did I...

Deoxys

Smash Lord
Yeah, they're talking about Magic The Gathering. You probably don't understand because they're discussing Type 1 aka REALLY old cards.

EDIT: Actually, idk. They were talking about Type 1 earlier, I know.
Yeah, we're still talking about Type 1, the huge # of 1-ofs is the tip-off.

lol I'm not hurt, but yes it's the latter.
Oh, good. I didn't mean to imply that you couldn't understand after I explained it to you, but that most players familiar with Vintage would ask.

I AM running Duress. If you go back and look at my list it's in my maindeck between Chain of Vapor and Thoughtseize.
Hehe, my bad. That explains why your responses didn't make sense to me. :p

I was wondering why all your posts are at like 4 am. Anyway, this deck took about 3 hours to redesign. A lot of changes I made to it made other changes pretty obvious.
I get out of work kind of late, too... I'm actually going to go to bed relatively early tonight!

This reminds me a lot of old 4 Color Control. I think Thirst would benefit you much more as a draw engine, but on the other hand you're not running Welder so who knows. This definitely seems like a "Danger of Cool Things" kind of deck since it omits so much else that makes most Tez decks good. Also, why do you have Mana Leak as opposed to, say, Misdirection?
What would you suggest I cut for more T4K? FoF, Skeletal Scrying, Mind Twist, Mana Leak, Academy Ruins? I find that 22 blue spells is plenty for FoW, and I'm usually much happier to see any of those but Mana Leak late-game. What do you think I omit that makes most Tez decks good? I have Mana Leak as opposed to Misdirection because I want to be able to counter Null Rod, Dark Confidant, Smokestack, Uba-Mask, etc. Since other blue-based decks are mostly favorable matchups anyway, Mana Leak ended up on the list. That said, it's one of the cards I'm least sold on and I might take it out for Negate, Misdirection, Duress (unlikely), or more draw.

Deoxys

Smash Lord
I main MK and my secondary "in-training" is D3.

I play Luigi, G&W, Diddy, and Snake just for fun.
So can any attack stop the peanut without getting damage?

Gates, I'm strongly leaning towards adding Echoing Truth in place of something, perhaps a Mana Leak. Since Mana Leak is worse with 2-1 than 3-4, I'd probably then add something like Misdirection or another T4K.

Oh, and I cut the Swamp for an Island, and made Skeletal Scrying another T4K. Blue sources ftw. I think that's all the changes I made. 8 Counters is feeling low though.

Manabase 26
2 Island
1 Snow-covered Island
1 LoA
1 Tolarian Academy
1 Academy Ruins
2 Underground Sea
4 Flooded Strand
4 Pollued Delta
10 Solotusmoxcryptpetalvault

Win 3
2 Tezzeret the Seeker
1 Darksteel Colossus

Combo 2
1 Time Vault
1 Voltaic Key

Tutors 4
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Tinker

Card Advantage/Quality 10
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Brainstorm
1 Merchant Scroll
1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Fact or Fiction
4 Thirst for Knowledge
1 Gifts Ungiven

Countermagic 8
4 Mana Drain
4 FoW

MiscBroken 2
1 Yawgmoth's Will
1 Time Walk

Disruption 4
2 Mind Twist
1 Echoing Truth
1 Tormod's Crypt
1 Engineered Explosives

Sideboard rough-draft probably will be done within 24 hours. Might try to fit Negate/MisD into maindeck.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
What would you suggest I cut for more T4K? FoF, Skeletal Scrying, Mind Twist, Mana Leak, Academy Ruins? I find that 22 blue spells is plenty for FoW, and I'm usually much happier to see any of those but Mana Leak late-game. [...] I have Mana Leak as opposed to Misdirection because I want to be able to counter Null Rod, Dark Confidant, Smokestack, Uba-Mask, etc. Since other blue-based decks are mostly favorable matchups anyway, Mana Leak ended up on the list. That said, it's one of the cards I'm least sold on and I might take it out for Negate, Misdirection, Duress (unlikely), or more draw.
I guess you're right about this. Now that I think about it more, I was talking to Andy Probasco, one of the original figures in the design of Gifts who frequents an IRC channel I go on, about the matter and he said that playing Gifts taught him a lot of things that didn't make sense in the format, like not fighting over an Ancestral Recall because of the resources you'd have to spend to do it. This deck really seems to be more like a Gifts shell with Tezzeret in it than a straight-up Tez deck, and I know how much Gifts relied on its blue spells.

Still, Mana Leak might not be the ideal option here. You suggested Negate, which I think is a great maindeck option. However, this could also easily be a metagame slot, like Spell Snare if you have a lot of Fish and Oath in your meta, Annul if you have a lot of Workshop decks (and I guess it works against Oath too lol), or even Stifle if you see a resurgence of combo (or if you just want to gain tempo by stifling fetches, but that's such a **** move). I might have been wrong about Misdirection since it consumes more resources.

What do you think I omit that makes most Tez decks good?
Goblin Welder lol (Nevermind, you weren't running that anyway).

I remember when TMD ran a poll on what the best creature in the game was a few years ago. Goblin Welder won, beating out Morphling, Exalted Angel, Psychatog, DSC, and many others by a large margin. It was hilarious.

Also, I noticed you're not running Trinket Mage. While you don't need it, I just think it's a little odd not to be running it.

So can any attack stop the peanut without getting damage?
I'm sure it's based on priority like Affinity said. And as most of us know, Dedede's bair has ridiculous priority.

Gates, I'm strongly leaning towards adding Echoing Truth in place of something, perhaps a Mana Leak. Since Mana Leak is worse with 2-1 than 3-4, I'd probably then add something like Misdirection or another T4K.

Oh, and I cut the Swamp for an Island, and made Skeletal Scrying another T4K. Blue sources ftw. I think that's all the changes I made. 8 Counters is feeling low though.

Manabase 26
2 Island
1 Snow-covered Island
1 LoA
1 Tolarian Academy
1 Academy Ruins
2 Underground Sea
4 Flooded Strand
4 Pollued Delta
10 Solotusmoxcryptpetalvault

Win 3
2 Tezzeret the Seeker
1 Darksteel Colossus

Combo 2
1 Time Vault
1 Voltaic Key

Tutors 4
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Tinker

Card Advantage/Quality 10
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Brainstorm
1 Merchant Scroll
1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Fact or Fiction
4 Thirst for Knowledge
1 Gifts Ungiven

Countermagic 8
4 Mana Drain
4 FoW

MiscBroken 2
1 Yawgmoth's Will
1 Time Walk

Disruption 4
2 Mind Twist
1 Echoing Truth
1 Tormod's Crypt
1 Engineered Explosives

Sideboard rough-draft probably will be done within 24 hours. Might try to fit Negate/MisD into maindeck.
Echoing Truth is a great card. I would run it in combo if Chain weren't so much better lol. I think running it in place of a Mana Leak is a great idea since it also solves all the problems you described. If you feel you need more counters, I would suggest cutting from Mind Twists next. They just don't seem that good on paper, though to be honest I haven't played the deck so maybe it works better in practice.

So... what do you all think of my new sig? :)
The only thing I don't like about it is that you taunted with Dedede instead of crouching. Other than that it's awesome.

Also, I guess I should explain the changes now. First I'll go through the removals and then the additions.

One of the first things I cut was Auriok Champion. I had her in there originally to beat Elves, thinking that Elves relies almost exclusively on creatures to get their combo going and by the time they combo off they'll have played their whole library. I thought this because I had been working on Elf combo in Legacy for a while beforehand and thought that more builds would run Grapeshot than Predator Dragon since that was the optimal kill in that format. Then they pointed out to me that more builds in Extended run the Predator Dragon kill, which can't be stopped by Champ and Smother alone since they can just attack twice with it. Thus, the idea was scrapped. The next thing I realized was that Glowrider really wasn't that great since I'd be boarding it out against >75% of the decks I faced because it would either be completely ineffective (like against Zoo or Elves) or because there would be better options (like against control decks). For that reason, I made it switch places with Tidehollow Sculler, which is still better against some decks than others but not to the same extent that Glowrider is (worst case scenario is that it takes a Tarmogoyf, Nacatl, or Tribal Flames against Zoo). Ghost Council was cut because I found him to be very costly and generally underwhelming, even though he is a fat dude. After I made these cuts, someone asked me how many clerics I was actually running maindeck, which made me realize that less than half of my creatures were, so I cut Rotlung. Aven Mindcensor is randomly good, but the downside to this is that it's also random, so I cut it. Apparently Stifle is really big in Extended since Zoo's manabase relies almost exclusively on fetches, so I cut the fetches in my deck to make myself less vulnerable to this splash hate.

Now for the good news! Someone reminded me that BW actually has two great artifact kill options in the form of Engineered Explosives and Oblivion Ring. EE also solves the decks shortcomings against Zoo while remaining solid against Elves, which is great news. I can also randomly get an EE for 3 if I imprint Kitchen Finks or Fulminator Mage on Chrome Mox, which can be a sort of decent solution to Ensnaring Bridge game 1. With so many creatures gone from the deck, I was able to basically start from scratch on it. Knight of the White Orchid (aka Tithe Knight) is a solid turn 2 play that stays good after turn 2 and has good synergy with Jitte. Augury Adept is a good draw engine that gets around Chalice for 2, which is useful since my draw engine basically died to that before. Kitchen Finks is a solid card which is good in a lot of matchups, especially Zoo. Fulminator Mage is in there mostly for control but it can also serve decent purposes at random times, like destroying Elves' Pendlehaven or making Zoo's Nacatyls smaller.

I think the deck looks more solid overall with the only possible changes I'd make being Silver Knight or Stillmoon Cavalier over Tithe Knight, but the latter is unlikely since I'd like to keep my number of 2 drop creatures above 10.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
lol

Sorry I turned this into Magic Discussion, Steve-o
:D

So I bought Chrono Trigger DS yesterday. I like it a lot but sometimes the battle system is a bit too hectic for me with 3 characters. I changed it to wait though and it's more manageable. Or maybe it's the fact that the commands are on the bottom screen that's throwing me off lol.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
who here got guitar hero world tour? so freakin fun. i can do expert on guitar, hard on drums, and i cant do singing ;_:
I haven't. Ever since Guitar Hero became a huge sell-out, I've lost almost all motivation to play Guitar Hero period.

That's actually the reason I started playing Brawl; I was just looking for a new game to play. I randomly decided to reserve Brawl like a week before the release; never checked the Dojo or anything :laugh:

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
:D

So I bought Chrono Trigger DS yesterday. I like it a lot but sometimes the battle system is a bit too hectic for me with 3 characters. I changed it to wait though and it's more manageable. Or maybe it's the fact that the commands are on the bottom screen that's throwing me off lol.
I played the shiat out of the original (still own the cartridge, baby) and I'm positive I'll be grabbing this one up in the next couple of weeks. I gotta get done with Disgaea first :p

brinboy789

Smash Champion
I haven't. Ever since Guitar Hero became a huge sell-out, I've lost almost all motivation to play Guitar Hero period.

That's actually the reason I started playing Brawl; I was just looking for a new game to play. I randomly decided to reserve Brawl like a week before the release; never checked the Dojo or anything :laugh:
guitar hero is freakin amazing. they included amazing songs, freakin low by flo rida, CRAZY TRAIN OZZY OSBOURNE :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
guitar hero is freakin amazing. they included amazing songs, freakin low by flo rida, CRAZY TRAIN OZZY OSBOURNE :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
So this is what GH has come to...

EDIT: This is Affinity; forgot to log off of Steeler's account.

Deoxys

Smash Lord
I took like 30 minutes typing it and I lost it....

I guess you're right about this. Now that I think about it more, I was talking to Andy Probasco, one of the original figures in the design of Gifts who frequents an IRC channel I go on, about the matter and he said that playing Gifts taught him a lot of things that didn't make sense in the format, like not fighting over an Ancestral Recall because of the resources you'd have to spend to do it. This deck really seems to be more like a Gifts shell with Tezzeret in it than a straight-up Tez deck, and I know how much Gifts relied on its blue spells.

Still, Mana Leak might not be the ideal option here. You suggested Negate, which I think is a great maindeck option. However, this could also easily be a metagame slot, like Spell Snare if you have a lot of Fish and Oath in your meta, Annul if you have a lot of Workshop decks (and I guess it works against Oath too lol), or even Stifle if you see a resurgence of combo (or if you just want to gain tempo by stifling fetches, but that's such a **** move). I might have been wrong about Misdirection since it consumes more resources.
So, how's Brassman been doing? What IRC channel is this? I've played him at a tournament before, and he gave me tips to update the Gifts deck I had made after looking at one of his old lists. I've played him multiple times, actually. I have his autograph on a Brassman.

I'm f***ing delighted to MisD a Mindtwist, Painter's REB, or Ancestral, but otherwise it's a FoW that doesn't work 70% of the time. It's great, but not in the mainboard of this deck, especially now that Merchant Scroll is restricted. I forgot how awesome Annul is at dealing with the non-Drain part of the New England metagame, thanks for reminding me! Stifle is really tempting, too...

Also, I noticed you're not running Trinket Mage. While you don't need it, I just think it's a little odd not to be running it.
OMG I totally forgot how amazing this card is with Mind Twist! Definitely adding some! Drat, now I feel pressured to add additional toolbox stuff, but I'll probably resist it for efficiency.

Echoing Truth is a great card. I would run it in combo if Chain weren't so much better lol. I think running it in place of a Mana Leak is a great idea since it also solves all the problems you described. If you feel you need more counters, I would suggest cutting from Mind Twists next. They just don't seem that good on paper, though to be honest I haven't played the deck so maybe it works better in practice.
Well, Mind Twist gives you turn one hands that are like, Mana Crypt, Mana Vault, land, Mind Twist for 4, which is just devestating. Other times they are either 2 dead cards, amazing Drain sinks, or just 2 or 3-for-1 sorceries. I can see not running it, but it's really amazing if it's early or they don't run welder.

Oops, 5 distruption, doesn't really matter anyway.

:laugh:

That is too funny.
ZOMG he predicted that a big Nintendo character would be in Brawl!

b- sword slash
that's kopyrite so dun steel plox kthnx

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I took like 30 minutes typing it and I lost it....
omfg, that happens to me all the god**** time. It's always when I type up some long thing too.

So, how's Brassman been doing? What IRC channel is this? I've played him at a tournament before, and he gave me tips to update the Gifts deck I had made after looking at one of his old lists. I've played him multiple times, actually. I have his autograph on a Brassman.
Brass is doing well. He moved down to Georgia reently and hasn't been to too many tournaments since the Vintage scene is practically dead around there (one tourney he went to down there was 9 people; he top8'd). He's gotten more into Legacy from what I understand, playing Counterbalance ***gotry. Other than that, he's the same old Brass, listening to emo music and such.

It's funny you mention a signed Brass Man from him...I have a Mind's Desire signed by JDizzle. :laugh:

The channel is #scg on Efnet btw.

OMG I totally forgot how amazing this card is with Mind Twist! Definitely adding some! Drat, now I feel pressured to add additional toolbox stuff, but I'll probably resist it for efficiency.
I'm not seeing the synergy here. Is it about grabbing Lotus or Mana Crypt? Also, you don't need a toolbox. Between the artifact mana, Voltaic Key, EE, and Crypt, some would say that you already have one.

Another good thing about running Trinket Mage is that you can do Trinket Mage Beats while assembling your combo. I used to do this with Sakura Tribe-Elder in Type 2 Heartbeat and, very rarely, Elvish Spirit Guide in DeathLong.

Deoxys

Smash Lord
Sweet, I figured it was #SCG. And yes, adding mana to a Mind Twist just makes it more . I do already have a toolbox (or at least a wrench and a screwdriver), I'm just wondering if I should have a bigger one.

Also, beating for 2 seems irrelevant in most of my matchups. Blocking for Tez is obviously handy, though.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
A wrench and a screwdriver are really all you need. If you run into any nails or anything you can just beat them with the end of one of those. That mini-toolbox should let you do pretty much anything unless you run into something obscure like electrical wiring.
I'll let you figure out if this is a serious metaphor for Magic or if I'm talking about irl toolboxes lol.

And you're right about blocking for Tez, it does seem a lot more important than hitting for 2.

Also, I finally got vids of my MK on YouTube. Check this **** out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwPC3TqFHLI

Deoxys

Smash Lord
A wrench and a screwdriver are really all you need. If you run into any nails or anything you can just beat them with the end of one of those. That mini-toolbox should let you do pretty much anything unless you run into something obscure like electrical wiring.
I'll let you figure out if this is a serious metaphor for Magic or if I'm talking about irl toolboxes lol.

And you're right about blocking for Tez, it does seem a lot more important than hitting for 2.

Also, I finally got vids of my MK on YouTube. Check this **** out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwPC3TqFHLI
Worst MK ever. Even Rick Astley's is better.

Deoxys

Smash Lord
Meh. I think mine is at least better than Ashley Tisdale's.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ceukjOzxZM&feature=related

I have a friend who is a girl and was obsessed with High School Musical until she went to college this past semester. That is the only reason I know who she is.
Hell yeah it is. Ooh, I've been sigged, that reminds me to go back and sig this other comment in this thread that I forgot to sig.

Edit: darn; I couldn't figure out a good way to sig it!

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
So, which way do you MKers lean politically?

No, not how well do you guys argue, but just a short answer...

Just wondering.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
So, which way do you MKers lean politically?

No, not how well do you guys argue, but just a short answer...

Just wondering.
I'm liberal.

I also hate discussing politics. Especially on the internet where stubbornness is such a huge factor.

Deoxys

Smash Lord
I'm liberal.

I also hate discussing politics. Especially on the internet where stubbornness is such a huge factor.
Neat, I wonder if you're as liberal as I am. Staying up since you can sleep in? I'm going to bed soon because I have to get up around 8...:(

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Staying up since you can sleep in?
You know it. Thanksgiving Break ftw, son. It's given me a lot of time to play Chrono Trigger (finishing up the Antiquity part right now, but every time I try I get ***** by those 2 golems).

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
You know it. Thanksgiving Break ftw, son. It's given me a lot of time to play Chrono Trigger (finishing up the Antiquity part right now, but every time I try I get ***** by those 2 golems).

Aww, its giving me lots of time to do a science project!

Anyways, just trying to get to know you guys since I think I am pickup up MK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom