• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MK Boards - General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Aw that's no fun...

Surprisingly good translator though.
It might mean that I remember more than I thought too! I just assumed every time I didn't recognize a word/grammatical structure I was wrong XD

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
On a completely seperate note: I write the most amazing self-evaluation letters. My blunt honesty shocks teachers and peers alike!

DFEAR

Smash Hero
what do u guys think about the current economic crisis O_O (totally on topic :p) and hows the weather? (general to THE EXTREME)

i think its really funny how the baby boom is a big contributing factor with the failing stocks of the 3 kings Ford/GM/Chrysler, they shouldn't have created pensions for their workers :\. its whats really costing them their company. Plus the supposed bailout for them are for those pension wearers in which they would be offered a big sum of money at once instead of a lifetime pension :p which to me is kinda far fetched :\. anyway ur thoughts O_O? btw tis cold >_<

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
D, you think it's cold down there, you should see Ohio.

Economy crisis: It sucks.
Hehe, no seriously though, I've been far too busy with schoolwork to do any research, so I am completely uninformed about everything.

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
While we're discussing Magic...

MK = Affinity
Snake = Tooth and Nail
I'd compare Snake more to The Rock and/or Doran than anything else. He's all about 1 for 1 trades and controlling the board, then getting in there with some kind of powerful attack to finish it up.

Metaknight is also clearly more like Battle of Wits than anything. I mean come on, what has more options than a 200+ card deck? :p </jokes>

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
I compare Snake to TnN because Tooth stood the best chance of beating Affinity (but was still at a disadvantage).
Actually Snake has a pretty strong advantage against Metaknight, and I know of at least one stage where Snake completely stuffs Metaknight. I haven't shared the information about it because I don't want people flaming me for it and we're still studying the matchup more in-depth here locally. The deck you're looking at for comparison would probably be Big Red.

I'd also like to say this to start some offhand discussion: I believe the Falco matchup is 55:45 in Falco's favor on neutral stages. Discuss.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I'd also like to say this to start some offhand discussion: I believe the Falco matchup is 55:45 in Falco's favor on neutral stages. Discuss.
Once MK planks, Falco loses whatever advantage he has. He has very few options to deal with Planking and out of the few that he has none of them are safe.

If you take Falco to a non neutral stage, most of those favor MK even more than what a neutral favors him at.

TKD

Smash Lord
Planking is stalling and stalling is banned. If Falco doesn't do anything, MK can't stay on the edge and avoid confrontation for the rest of the game.

Falco is good against Meta Knight but the whole thing is probably even. Falco outprioritizes from above if he holds his DI left or right while dairing. This makes it hard to punish even if blocked because of Falco's sliding. Chaingrab does some damage if he gets to grab which makes MK work harder.

As I stated, you can't plank so that solution isn't viable. If you don't get grabbed and shield upsmash, Falco has a lot of trouble KOing though.

People should call it even...same goes with Snake. If Snake never approaches and only punishes and knows how to recover, he's a beast. Better than Falco in that matchup in my opinion. MK only gets his chance when momentum's on his side the moments Snake is regaining ground to continue fighting.

Sorry fromundaman x)

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Planking is stalling and stalling is banned. If Falco doesn't do anything, MK can't stay on the edge and avoid confrontation for the rest of the game.

Falco is good against Meta Knight but the whole thing is probably even. Falco outprioritizes from above if he holds his DI left or right while dairing. This makes it hard to punish even if blocked because of Falco's sliding. Chaingrab does some damage if he gets to grab which makes MK work harder.

As I stated, you can't plank so that solution isn't viable. If you don't get grabbed and shield upsmash, Falco has a lot of trouble KOing though.

People should call it even...same goes with Snake. If Snake never approaches and only punishes and knows how to recover, he's a beast. Better than Falco in that matchup in my opinion. MK only gets his chance when momentum's on his side the moments Snake is regaining ground to continue fighting.

Sorry fromundaman x)
You and hizzulm must go to the same school of misinformation.

Planking is not banned.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
If it's not considered stalling yet, it should be soon.
Currently, it is not banned in most regions/tourneys. That's why I added it, if most of the hosts allow it then so be it.

With Planking, MK easily has the advantage, without Planking it is more even, but I would say still slightly in MK's favor. Like barely 55 : 45

Deoxys

Smash Lord
I compare Snake to TnN because Tooth stood the best chance of beating Affinity (but was still at a disadvantage).
LOL, did you forget that Elf N Nail came around as the top deck the day before Ravager was banned? The bans ended up making the format worse. The Brawl community could learn something from that. :lick:

Also, everyone who plays Magic here needs to stop playing lame other formats and playing T1. I want someone who I can playtest my TezzeretPainter deck against while sharing random Brawl insights.

Here's my current list:

Manabase 26
2 Island
1 Snow-covered Island
1 LoA
1 Tolarian Academy
1 Academy Ruins
2 Underground Sea
2 Flooded Strand
3 Volcanic Island
3 Pollued Delta
10 Solotusmoxcryptpetalvault

Win 2
1 Tezzeret the Seeker
1 Darksteel Colossus

Combo 4
1 Painter's Servant
1 Grindstone
1 Time Vault
1 Voltaic Key

Tutors 4
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Tinker

Card Advantage 9
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Brainstorm
1 Merchant Scroll
1 Gifts Ungiven
1 Fact or Fiction
4 Thirst for Knowledge

Countermagic 10
4 Mana Drain
4 FoW
1 Red Elemental Blast
1 Pyroblast

MiscBroken 2
1 Yawgmoth's Will
1 Time Walk

Scrying(/Card Advantage*) 1
1 Sensei's Divining Top*

Disruption 2
1 Tormod's Crypt
1 Engineered Explosives

Gates

Banned via Warnings
LOL, did you forget that Elf N Nail came around as the top deck the day before Ravager was banned? The bans ended up making the format worse. The Brawl community could learn something from that. :lick:
I lol'd. And man, Elf & Nail was a fun deck. Clerics was a pretty good deck back in the Skullclamp days too. It had the savage tech of being ably to pre-board Disciple of the Vault for the Affinity matchup.

Here's my current list:

Manabase 26
2 Island
1 Snow-covered Island
1 LoA
1 Tolarian Academy
1 Academy Ruins
2 Underground Sea
2 Flooded Strand
3 Volcanic Island
3 Pollued Delta

Win 2
1 Tezzeret the Seeker
1 Darksteel Colossus

Combo 4
1 Painter's Servant
1 Grindstone
1 Time Vault
1 Voltaic Key

Tutors 4
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Tinker

Card Advantage 9
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Brainstorm
1 Merchant Scroll
1 Gifts Ungiven
1 Fact or Fiction
4 Thirst for Knowledge

Countermagic 10
4 Mana Drain
4 FoW
1 Red Elemental Blast
1 Pyroblast

MiscBroken 2
1 Yawgmoth's Will
1 Time Walk

Scrying(/Card Advantage*) 1
1 Sensei's Divining Top*

Disruption 2
1 Tormod's Crypt
1 Engineered Explosives
Is Voltaic Key in there just so you can grab Key/Tez/Tinker/Will off Gifts? I'm not too familiar with decks that run Gifts to be honest. In fact when I did play Type 1 I started out on Gay/R Fish and then graduated to combo, so I don't really know much about Drain-based decks at all lol.

I don't play Vintage anymore, but if I did I'd probably play TMWA (The Mountains Win Again). It's the Best Worst deck in the format right now and it has the advantage of beating Fish as well as most other decks. I can't find a mono-red build of it that I like, though, so I'd probably just play this instead:

Generic Combo Deck

Manas: 30
1 Flooded Strand
1 Island
4 Polluted Delta
1 Swamp
1 Tolarian Academy
4 Underground Sea
1 Black Lotus
1 Lion's Eye Diamond
1 Lotus Petal
1 Mana Crypt
5 Moxen
4 Dark Ritual
1 Mana Vault
1 Sol Ring
3 Cabal Ritual

Always Wear A Condom (Protection): 7
1 Chain of Vapor
4 Duress
2 Thoughtseize

Oh No, Brainstorm Is Restricted (Draw/Search): 12
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Brainstorm
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Ponder
1 Imperial Seal
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Merchant Scroll
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Tinker
3 Grim Tutor

Metaknights (Broken Things): 9
1 Time Walk
1 Timetwister
1 Windfall
1 Yawgmoth's Will
1 Necropotence
1 Memory Jar
1 Ad Nauseam
1 Mind's Desire
1 Yawgmoth's Bargain

Kill It With Fire Tendrils (Kill): 2
2 Tendrils of Agony

Janktastic Sideboard: 15
3 Tormod's Crypt
2 Chain of Vapor
2 Thoughtseize
3 Defense Grid
2 Hurkyl's Recall
1 Rebuild
2 Massacre

I could run Ad Nauseam combo but I have a feeling that WotC is going to intervene and restrict either Chrome Mox or AdN itself. This list is designed to survive that restriction if it occurs.

Deoxys

Smash Lord
They might just because they suck like that.

Have MWS (or inferior Apprentice)? I'd love to play you sometime, even if you don't follow Vintage anymore! Drain decks with combo kills have always been my favorite (although I loved Flash when it was legal).

The point of Voltaic Key is that Voltaic Key + Time Vault = infinite turns: virtually 4 colorless for a 2 card win. Also, it has synergy with Mana Vault, crypt, sol ring, and SDT. I'm trying to fit green in the list just for regrowth (and prolly Tarmogoyf in SB).

The only reason I run the Painter cards is so I can trick them into thinking the deck is just Painter and board the combo out game 2 to hopefully give them dead hate, and so I can run maindeck REB without it being atrocious. I'm toying with running a transformational sideboard, but I question how viable this is.

Also, regarding Gifts, it almost always allows me to win when I untap unless I play it first turn or something (Tezz takes a turn to win, but usually I can be faster). What I get FTW depends on the situation and what threats I have available. Adding Regrowth would let me win from Gifts even more, but the deck is very tight and I'd have to give up the Painter cards.

Did you just make that deck on the spot or is it a list you've had for a bit? I'd think you would want to run Repeal.

Also, Clerics is one of my favorite tribes (prolly top 3).

Gates

Banned via Warnings
The point of Voltaic Key is that Voltaic Key + Time Vault = infinite turns: virtually 4 colorless for a 2 card win.
I know that, but can't you just do the same thing with Tezzeret? Or is searching for more artifacts really that much more important?

The only reason I run the Painter cards is so I can trick them into thinking the deck is just Painter and board the combo out game 2 to hopefully give them dead hate, and so I can run maindeck REB without it being atrocious. I'm toying with running a transformational sideboard, but I question how viable this is.
I'm not sure a transformational board would be very good at all actually. Same thing with green and Tarmogayf, it's just not really something you need to do.

Did you just make that deck on the spot or is it a list you've had for a bit? I'd think you would want to run Repeal.
It's based off a list I saw on TMD which I believe had origins with Smmenen. I can't find the original list, but I remember it ran Simian Spirit Guides and Wheel of Fortune but I took those out for more Cabal Rits and Ad Nauseam. I haven't really tested it that much but it's only like 3 cards off from the last combo deck I played so it should still run fine. As for Repeal, I can't think of anything that it could solve that Chain of Vapor can't. They both lose to Chalice for 1 but otherwise solve the same problems with the only real difference being that Chain does it cheaper but with no cantrip.

I'll add in the sideboard (EDIT: Just did) but it'll be REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEALLY janky.

I also tried writing a list for a Cleric Extended deck today but it basically ended up just becoming Ghost Dad lol. I can post the list if anyone's interested but I'm pretty sure it would roll over and die to Zoo.

And I don't have MWS because I know that if I downloaded it I'd just be on it all day instead of getting work done lol.

Deoxys

Smash Lord
I know that, but can't you just do the same thing with Tezzeret? Or is searching for more artifacts really that much more important?
If I have Voltaic Key out, I win if I get Time Vault down with 1 mana open. With Tezzeret, I need to wait another turn or already have Time Vault. Plus, Tezzeret is 3UU, while Voltaic Key needs only 2 colorless. Sometimes getting Tezzeret down is a pain and so is having to wait a turn. I'm considering running 2 though, just because he's blue.

I'm not sure a transformational board would be very good at all actually. Same thing with green and Tarmogayf, it's just not really something you need to do.
Well, it lets me win off the bat with Gifts like 10% more often, plus you can Regrowth Ancestral Recall or Black Lotus for mana and stuff.

It's based off a list I saw on TMD which I believe had origins with Smmenen. I can't find the original list, but I remember it ran Simian Spirit Guides and Wheel of Fortune but I took those out for more Cabal Rits and Ad Nauseam. I haven't really tested it that much but it's only like 3 cards off from the last combo deck I played so it should still run fine. As for Repeal, I can't think of anything that it could solve that Chain of Vapor can't. They both lose to Chalice for 1 but otherwise solve the same problems with the only real difference being that Chain does it cheaper but with no cantrip.

I'll add in the sideboard (EDIT: Just did) but it'll be REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEALLY janky.

I also tried writing a list for a Cleric Extended deck today but it basically ended up just becoming Ghost Dad lol. I can post the list if anyone's interested but I'm pretty sure it would roll over and die to Zoo.

And I don't have MWS because I know that if I downloaded it I'd just be on it all day instead of getting work done lol.
Good point. What's the Cleric list (although I really only care about T1)? Does it run the infinite life combo (still in Extended, right?)?

You should try to DL it and still be able to do work. You can always delete it if it destroys your work (unless you can't bring yourself to).

The only thing janky about that SB imo is the crapload of bounce. Is the Thoughtseize not a Duress just because of Meddling Mage?

Gates

Banned via Warnings
If I have Voltaic Key out, I win if I get Time Vault down with 1 mana open. With Tezzeret, I need to wait another turn or already have Time Vault. Plus, Tezzeret is 3UU, while Voltaic Key needs only 2 colorless. Sometimes getting Tezzeret down is a pain and so is having to wait a turn. I'm considering running 2 though, just because he's blue.
This is very true I suppose.

Well, it lets me win off the bat with Gifts like 10% more often, plus you can Regrowth Ancestral Recall or Black Lotus for mana and stuff.
Regrowth? Yes, absolutely and I definitely see your point there. It's just Tarmogoyf that I'm iffy about. Also, when you said "transformational sideboard" I kind of interpreted it as meaning something ridiculous like "the other 3 scarecrows and 6 REBs" so I guess that's the main reason I reacted so adversely to it lol. I think the deck looks fine right now and the only legit concern I'd have with adding green for Regrowth is the effect it would have on the manabase. Of course if you don't see many Wastelands or Blood Moons that's not a problem.

The only thing janky about that SB imo is the crapload of bounce. Is the Thoughtseize not a Duress just because of Meddling Mage?
Ever played a combo deck against Stax? You NEED a lot of bounce lol. Now that I look at it again I may have gone a little overboard but I feel I do need at least 1 bounce spell for each casting cost (Chain for Chalice at 2, Hurkyl's for Chalice at 1, Rebuild for Trinisphere - though Chain is probably the least important here). I might cut a bounce spell or two for some Spirit Guides. And Thoughtseize is not in there for Meddling Mage, it's in there because I don't want to jeopardize the manabase to run Xantid Swarm against control or aggro control so I'm using Thoughtseize+Defense Grid (not that I don't like Xantid Swarm). Why would they name Duress with Mage anyway? Dark Ritual would be much more effective. Also, it's hard to run extra Duresses in the board when I have 4 in the main lol. But yeah, what I'm most concerned about with the SB is actually the Tormod's Crypts. I'm not sure if I need 3 but at the same time I don't want to go down to 2.

Good point. What's the Cleric list (although I really only care about T1)? Does it run the infinite life combo (still in Extended, right?)?
Technically the infinite life combo is still in extended but it relies almost exclusively on Daru Spiritualist and Miren the Moaning Well. There aren't really any redundant effects except for Lightning Greaves/Shuko. On top of that, Aether Vial is banned so you can't do any end of turn setups like you could in old extended. It also doesn't have the alternate win condition of Cephalid Illusionist+reanimation spell+Sutured Ghoul since all those rotated out. The combo is possible I guess but it's generally not worth it.

No, the deck I made is actually more like Ghost Dad than Life combo or a tribal Clerics deck. Here's the list:

Ghost Dad, Cleric Mom

Lands: 22
4 Flooded Strand
4 Godless Shrine
5 Plains
4 Polluted Delta
5 Swamp

Dudes: 24
4 Dark Confidant
3 Auriok Champion
3 Withered Wretch
3 Glowrider
4 Rotlung Reanimator
3 Orzhov Pontiff
4 Ghost Council of Orzhova

Spells: 14
3 Chrome Mox
4 Thoughtseize
4 Umezawa's Jitte
3 Smother

Shaky SB: 15
1 Auriok Champion
3 Tidehollow Sculler
2 Aven Mindcensor
1 Orzhov Pontiff
1 Smother
3 Terashi's Grasp
2 Slay
2 Persecute

I originally had Edgewalker in the list to enable plays like:

turn 1: Swamp, Thoughtseize
turn 2: Plains, Mox, Edgewalker
turn 3: Land, Champion (for 1 mana), Pontiff (for 1 mana), Glowrider (for 2 mana).

Two Glowriders also means that you can play nearly a third of the deck for free. However, if I drew it on its own with a small hand it wouldn't be very good, so it's really a "danger of cool things" deal. I guess I could always go back to it if I find the deck is too slow.

Anyway, for reference the Extended metagame is basically 4 deck types:

Zoo
Faeries
Blue control decks (including Tezzeret and traditional blue-based control)
Elf Combo (the big shock of the season)

Affinity is actually basically dead in Extended now since there's so much more hate for it than there is for Zoo. Personally, I think that Affinity wouldn't even return to total dominance if Disciple of the Vault was unbanned just because of the sheer amount of things that hate it.

Anyway, a lot of things in the Ghost Cleric deck are metagamed around those dominant decks. Auriok Champ is in there for Elves mostly but it also does decently against Zoo since the only non-red non-black creatures it runs are Nacatyl and Tarmogoyf, which both die to Smother. Withered Wretch also helps keep Tarmogoyf under control and it's a great 2-drop overall. Orzhov Pontiff kills all Elves and Faeries on sight and pumps your dudes for the final strike. Glowrider is a good surprise card since not many people will suspect THE SPANISH INQUISITION Thorn of Amethyst.guy game 1, even though he comes out against everything but control decks and non-elf combo. Another notable thing to note is the synergy between Champion, Ghost Council, and Rotlung. You'll basically be gaining 3 life and getting more and more dudes every turn (of course when you factor in Dark Confidant it kind of evens out, but still).

Terashi's Grasp is in the board because Chalice of the Void has become very popular due to the influx of Elves (almost everything is 1cc) and Zoo (most of the cards are 1cc or 2cc) and I need something to take care of both Chalice at 1 and Chalice at 2. Unfortunately, BW isn't a good option for artifact destruction, so this is the best I can do for a reasonable cost. Tidehollow Sculler is Thoughtseize #5 thru 7 against control and also has synergy with Ghost Council. Aven Mindcensor is also good against control and it can come in against Zoo as well to mess with their fetchlands or against Elves to kill their Weird Harvests. Slay seems kind of random, but if you think about it the only creatures that you really want to kill are green. You could also use a little more draw in the Zoo matchup.

This deck is untested to the max though and even with moxen it might still be too slow to beat elves and too unstable to beat Zoo. Still, it's a decent attempt, right?

Rh1thmz

Smash Journeyman
All this talk of MTG makes me wish that I played Magic lol...

Is MTG really this good? May I safely compare it to...steak?

I wanted to play it, but my parents never let me, and by the time that they got more lenient with things like that, I had already lost interest in card games. So yeah, I don't really know if MTG is all that people hype it to be.

Anyways, I like the idea of this thread; I've been wanting something like this in here for a while...a place to forget about all of the tension and just chillax.

Gates

Banned via Warnings

I wanted to play it, but my parents never let me, and by the time that they got more lenient with things like that, I had already lost interest in card games. So yeah, I don't really know if MTG is all that people hype it to be.
It's called Cardboard Crack for a reason lol.

Competitive Magic can be a steep financial investment, one of the reasons I quit (I hear some standard cards are going for $30 now which is ridiculous but if you think that's bad you should see some of the Type One cards). Casual Magic can be very fun though. You could also try starting off in limited with booster drafts and such. $10 for 45 cards and a bunch of basic lands is pretty good for starting off, especially when you also learn about intricacies of the game and have a chance to win your draft pool.

Rh1thmz

Smash Journeyman
Lol...I played Yu-Gi-Oh because I couldn't play MTG...I remember when I used to balk at $30 for a card...I hear from a friend of mine that still plays that he pulled this card that is worth over $200 out of some special pack, but he won't sell it because it's uber good.

...I don't know about you guys, but if I could sell a piece of cardboard and holofoil for 200 bucks, I'd go for it.

Rh1thmz

Smash Journeyman
I see your point, but I don't remember tourney pots being all that high for Yu-Gi-Oh. The winner would get about 20-25 dollars in-store credit at locals. Are tourney pots any higher in MTG?

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I see your point, but I don't remember tourney pots being all that high for Yu-Gi-Oh. The winner would get about 20-25 dollars in-store credit at locals. Are tourney pots any higher in MTG?
At larger tournaments like Pro Tours, Grand Prixs, Regionals, States/Provincals, etc. the payout is very high. For FNM (Friday Night Magic) though it's usually very low. Most stores have weekly or semi-weekly tournaments of other constructed formats or drafts with payout being roughly the same as FNM. There are also some Type 1 tourneys for Moxen or other Power 9 cards, but those are few and far between. You could also just get 7 other people and draft with each person chipping in a little for a pot (like $5 each for a $40 pot with first getting $20, second getting $10, and third/fourth getting $5).

Again, getting into Magic through limited is probably best because you'll accumulate a large cardpool, get familiar with the mechanics, and either make some money or pull some pricey cards out of packs.

Deoxys

Smash Lord
Lol...I played Yu-Gi-Oh because I couldn't play MTG...I remember when I used to balk at $30 for a card...I hear from a friend of mine that still plays that he pulled this card that is worth over $200 out of some special pack, but he won't sell it because it's uber good.

...I don't know about you guys, but if I could sell a piece of cardboard and holofoil for 200 bucks, I'd go for it.
Magic is like 4,000 x better than Yu-Gi-Oh! If you like strategy (as I'm sure you do), and found YGO at least tolerable, you'll go freaking insane over Magic.

Would you sell this piece of cardboard if its value went up every year? I have an Ancestral Recall (~$450), and I'm not going to sell it until I have to much money that I have a nicer copy.

1st place at a Pro Tour for Magic is $40,000 USD.
Really? I thought it was more. You sure you're not thinking GP? I guess I'll go ask my friend who won a GP.

At larger tournaments like Pro Tours, Grand Prixs, Regionals, States/Provincals, etc. the payout is very high. For FNM (Friday Night Magic) though it's usually very low. Most stores have weekly or semi-weekly tournaments of other constructed formats or drafts with payout being roughly the same as FNM. There are also some Type 1 tourneys for Moxen or other Power 9 cards, but those are few and far between. You could also just get 7 other people and draft with each person chipping in a little for a pot (like $5 each for a $40 pot with first getting $20, second getting $10, and third/fourth getting $5).

Again, getting into Magic through limited is probably best because you'll accumulate a large cardpool, get familiar with the mechanics, and either make some money or pull some pricey cards out of packs.
In New England you can find a mox tourney like biweekly, even just near MA.

Type 1 is the most difficult to play, by FAR, but also the least expensive to play for more than a year, by a lot. It's so complicated that even I, who has played over 12 years of the game, has to strain my brain to make good plays like once a game average. Of course, you can always play something other than Drain or difficult combo and do well in Type 1. Some Type 1 decks are even easier to play than the average drafted deck (when you put decks together from the cards you get in a small number of packs).

In Type 1, since tournaments usually allow 15 Proxies, it's not much more expensive in the short term to afford the most expensive T1 decks than T2 decks, and it's WAAAY cheaper in the long term since you usually only change a few (or no) cards in your deck when new sets come out, where as in T2 you'll probably be changing decks entirely every year.

Re: Tarmogoyf, I think it's so funny that it's only like the 4th best 2 mana creature of all time, yet costs $50.

Anyways, I like the idea of this thread; I've been wanting something like this in here for a while...a place to forget about all of the tension and just chillax.
After you've learned the basics of the rules, download Magic Workstation, and you can build decks (and play other people) online for free.

Also, this thread is great; it would be such a pain to have to go to the pool room for this.

This is very true I suppose.
Since it's worth the slot because of a number of different synergies, it isn't that obviously gooduntil you play the deck.

Regrowth? Yes, absolutely and I definitely see your point there. It's just Tarmogoyf that I'm iffy about. Also, when you said "transformational sideboard" I kind of interpreted it as meaning something ridiculous like "the other 3 scarecrows and 6 REBs" so I guess that's the main reason I reacted so adversely to it lol. I think the deck looks fine right now and the only legit concern I'd have with adding green for Regrowth is the effect it would have on the manabase. Of course if you don't see many Wastelands or Blood Moons that's not a problem.
Yeah, the mana base will become slightly weaker to such, but maybe it's worth it. That's what I need to determine. Since I'm dependent on nonbasics for the most part, adding Tropical Island doesn't really weaken the manabase as much as you might think.

Ever played a combo deck against Stax? You NEED a lot of bounce lol. Now that I look at it again I may have gone a little overboard but I feel I do need at least 1 bounce spell for each casting cost (Chain for Chalice at 2, Hurkyl's for Chalice at 1, Rebuild for Trinisphere - though Chain is probably the least important here). I might cut a bounce spell or two for some Spirit Guides.
I have, but it was Flash, lol. I just don't see enough open slots to board all the bounce in anyway. I don't know how flexible your deck is, that's just my general assumption.

And Thoughtseize is not in there for Meddling Mage, it's in there because I don't want to jeopardize the manabase to run Xantid Swarm against control or aggro control so I'm using Thoughtseize+Defense Grid (not that I don't like Xantid Swarm). Why would they name Duress with Mage anyway? Dark Ritual would be much more effective. Also, it's hard to run extra Duresses in the board when I have 4 in the main lol. But yeah, what I'm most concerned about with the SB is actually the Tormod's Crypts. I'm not sure if I need 3 but at the same time I don't want to go down to 2.
Heh, I don't mean that someone would name Duress with MM, but that you can't make them discard MM with Duress. Since Duress doesn't make you lose 2, I'm wondering if Thoughtseize is really better or not. IDK how low your life has to go to win, though.

Zoo
Faeries
Blue control decks (including Tezzeret and traditional blue-based control)
Elf Combo (the big shock of the season)
What do they get with Tez? Is persecute bad in the metagame?

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Re: Tarmogoyf, I think it's so funny that it's only like the 4th best 2 mana creature of all time, yet costs $50.
4th best? Except for Wild Mongrel, I can't think of many that really compare to it personally. What are your top 3?

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
Tarmogoyf is the best creature printed.

Speaking of Tarmogoyf: Grand Prix Chicago in 2009 is Legacy. Hopefully they'll get it right this time and there won't be any Hulk Flash shenanigans.

Deoxys

Smash Lord
Tarmogoyf is the best creature printed.
Umm, Goblin Welder, Darksteel Colossus, Auriok Salvagers, Elvish Spirit Guide, Simian Spirit Guide, Street Wraith, Sundering Titan, Hellkite Overlord, Akroma, Tidespout Tyrant, Psychatog, Dark Confidant, Ichorid, and Painter's Servant (and more debatably, Protean Hulk) are all better in context of their decks.

When I said 4th best, I guess I was wrong. Many people would probably say Tarmogoyf is better than Magus of the Unseen, Meddling Mage, or Nantuko Shade.

Edit: Gates, I edited my previous post with a couple more responses.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
When I said 4th best, I guess I was wrong. Many people would probably say Tarmogoyf is better than Magus of the Unseen, Meddling Mage, or Nantuko Shade.
I would agree, though all those cards are definitely good, especially Shade. The thing is, Shade is like the Morphling of 2cc creatures, dependant on mana, whereas Tarmogoyf is more like Psychatog, dependant on your graveyard.

Magic is like over 9,000 x better than Yu-Gi-Oh!
Fixed.

Since it's worth the slot because of a number of different synergies, it isn't that obviously gooduntil you play the deck.
I guess so. =/

Yeah, the mana base will become slightly weaker to such, but maybe it's worth it. That's what I need to determine. Since I'm dependent on nonbasics for the most part, adding Tropical Island doesn't really weaken the manabase as much as you might think.
You do have a point there.

I have, but it was Flash, lol.
That totally doesn't count lol.

I just don't see enough open slots to board all the bounce in anyway. I don't know how flexible your deck is, that's just my general assumption.
Well you only bring Hurkyl's and Rebuild against Workshops. The other 2 Chains are for decks with other problematic permanents that don't run an assload of artifacts to complement them, like Null Rod in Fish or Oath.

Heh, I don't mean that someone would name Duress with MM, but that you can't make them discard MM with Duress.
Oh, ok. With Massacre that's not really a concern, but I see your point.

Since Duress doesn't make you lose 2, I'm wondering if Thoughtseize is really better or not. IDK how low your life has to go to win, though.
It's not a matter of how much life I need to lose to win, it's a matter or resources. 2 life to get your opponent to discard a card could mean that you'd be unable to draw 2 more cards you need with Bargain or Will or that you'd die if you revealed something like Desire off of Ad Nauseam. Between fetches, Vampiric Tutor, Imperial Seal, and Grim Tutor, you'll probably be losing at least 6 life per game also. You certainly can play Thoughtseize if you want to but in the end it's a limitation of your options.

What do they get with Tez?
Lock pieces like Ensnaring Bridge, Trinisphere, Chalice, Vedalken Shackles, etc. The deck is more like Stax than Type 1 Tez in that there's no combo finish and it focuses on locking down the board instead. The only real ways it wins are Trinket Mage beatdown, stealing creatures with Shackles, and using Tez's -5 ability.

Is persecute bad in the metagame?
Actually, upon talking with some people I know who still play Magic, I've determined that yes, it is bad. In fact, my whole deck has changed a lot. I'll post the new list.

4 Caves of Kolios
4 Fetid Heath
4 Godless Shrine
5 Plains
4 Swamp

4 Dark Confidant
3 Knight of the White Orchid
3 Withered Wretch
4 Tidehollow Sculler
2 Orzhov Pontiff
3 Augury Adept
3 Kitchen Finks
1 Fulminator Mage

4 Chrome Mox
2 Engineered Explosives
4 Thoughtseize
3 Umezawa's Jitte
3 Smother

SB:
3 Glowrider
2 Orzhov Pontiff
1 Kitchen Finks
1 Fulminator Mage
2 Engineered Explosives
1 Umezawa's Jitte
1 Smother
3 Oblivion Ring
1 Open Slot (probably going to be O-Ring #4)

So yeah, it's probably even more shaky now but it still has a lot going for it. It's 2:30 in the morning over here so I'm going to go to sleep before I bump another thread with a dumb Gurren Lagann joke like I did last night. I'll edit this post tomorrow night with card selection choices.

Until then:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB1RRKJ1ks8

Deoxys

Smash Lord
I would agree, though all those cards are definitely good, especially Shade. The thing is, Shade is like the Morphling of 2cc creatures, dependant on mana, whereas Tarmogoyf is more like Psychatog, dependant on your graveyard.
Those are perfect comparisons, although Psychatog also grows your graveyard on its way to kill.

I have to figure out the best way to sig this.

I guess so. =/
Are you not conviced that it is great, or are you hurt that I was saying it isn't intuitive? :(

That totally doesn't count lol.
Oh, and when Meandeck Gifts was legal I did it too, but I just cast Rebuild after Gifting my way to a winning position (and Hurkyl's Recalling if there's chalice on 3), and then did my thing... so it doesn't really count either.

Oh, ok. With Massacre that's not really a concern, but I see your point.

It's not a matter of how much life I need to lose to win, it's a matter or resources. 2 life to get your opponent to discard a card could mean that you'd be unable to draw 2 more cards you need with Bargain or Will or that you'd die if you revealed something like Desire off of Ad Nauseam. Between fetches, Vampiric Tutor, Imperial Seal, and Grim Tutor, you'll probably be losing at least 6 life per game also. You certainly can play Thoughtseize if you want to but in the end it's a limitation of your options.
So why not run Duress?

Actually, upon talking with some people I know who still play Magic, I've determined that yes, it is bad. In fact, my whole deck has changed a lot. I'll post the new list.

4 Caves of Kolios
4 Fetid Heath
4 Godless Shrine
5 Plains
4 Swamp

4 Dark Confidant
3 Knight of the White Orchid
3 Withered Wretch
4 Tidehollow Sculler
3 Descendant of Kiyomaro
2 Orzhov Pontiff
3 Kitchen Finks
1 Fulminator Mage

4 Chrome Mox
2 Engineered Explosives
4 Thoughtseize
3 Umezawa's Jitte
3 Smother

SB:
3 Glowrider
2 Orzhov Pontiff
1 Kitchen Finks
1 Fulminator Mage
2 Engineered Explosives
1 Umezawa's Jitte
1 Smother
3 Oblivion Ring
1 Open Slot (probably going to be O-Ring #4)

So yeah, it's probably even more shaky now but it still has a lot going for it. It's 2:30 in the morning over here so I'm going to go to sleep before I bump another thread with a dumb Gurren Lagann joke like I did last night. I'll edit this post tomorrow night with card selection choices.

Until then:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB1RRKJ1ks8
Goodnight. It's the same time in my time zone, but I'm taking a semester "off," so I stay up really late. This list seems much better, especially against what I assume Zoo plays. How long did this design take? It's so drastically different.

Edit (@6:00 AM -_-'): I've changed my deck significantly, and decided to take a new 6approach that I like more. No more Painter stuff, but now it's a unique UB Tezzeret deck.

Manabase 26
1 Island
1 Snow-covered Island
1 Swamp
1 LoA
1 Tolarian Academy
1 Academy Ruins
2 Underground Sea
4 Flooded Strand
4 Pollued Delta

Win 3
2 Tezzeret the Seeker
1 Darksteel Colossus

Combo 2
1 Time Vault
1 Voltaic Key

Tutors 4
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Tinker

Card Advantage/Quality 9
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Brainstorm
1 Merchant Scroll
1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Fact or Fiction
1 Skeletal Scrying
2 Thirst for Knowledge
1 Gifts Ungiven

Countermagic 10
4 Mana Drain
4 FoW
2 Mana Leak

MiscBroken 2
1 Yawgmoth's Will
1 Time Walk

Disruption 4
2 Mind Twist
1 Tormod's Crypt
1 Engineered Explosives

It has a lot of game winning plays. The deck usually counters a few spells with Mana Drains and Leaks that it gets online ASAP or FoWs, then seals the deal with a big Mind Twist or Tezzeret or the combo or lots of draw, or just goes broken with early DSC/Tezzeret/Mind Twist.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Are you not conviced that it is great, or are you hurt that I was saying it isn't intuitive? :(
lol I'm not hurt, but yes it's the latter.

So why not run Duress?
I AM running Duress. If you go back and look at my list it's in my maindeck between Chain of Vapor and Thoughtseize.

It's the same time in my time zone, but I'm taking a semester "off," so I stay up really late. This list seems much better, especially against what I assume Zoo plays. How long did this design take? It's so drastically different.
I was wondering why all your posts are at like 4 am. Anyway, this deck took about 3 hours to redesign. A lot of changes I made to it made other changes pretty obvious.

Edit (@6:00 AM -_-'): I've changed my deck significantly, and decided to take a new 6approach that I like more. No more Painter stuff, but now it's a unique UB Tezzeret deck.

Manabase 26
1 Island
1 Snow-covered Island
1 Swamp
1 LoA
1 Tolarian Academy
1 Academy Ruins
2 Underground Sea
4 Flooded Strand
4 Pollued Delta

Win 3
2 Tezzeret the Seeker
1 Darksteel Colossus

Combo 2
1 Time Vault
1 Voltaic Key

Tutors 4
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Tinker

Card Advantage/Quality 9
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Brainstorm
1 Merchant Scroll
1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Fact or Fiction
1 Skeletal Scrying
2 Thirst for Knowledge
1 Gifts Ungiven

Countermagic 10
4 Mana Drain
4 FoW
2 Mana Leak

MiscBroken 2
1 Yawgmoth's Will
1 Time Walk

Disruption 4
2 Mind Twist
1 Tormod's Crypt
1 Engineered Explosives

It has a lot of game winning plays. The deck usually counters a few spells with Mana Drains and Leaks that it gets online ASAP or FoWs, then seals the deal with a big Mind Twist or Tezzeret or the combo or lots of draw, or just goes broken with early DSC/Tezzeret/Mind Twist.
This reminds me a lot of old 4 Color Control. I think Thirst would benefit you much more as a draw engine, but on the other hand you're not running Welder so who knows. This definitely seems like a "Danger of Cool Things" kind of deck since it omits so much else that makes most Tez decks good. Also, why do you have Mana Leak as opposed to, say, Misdirection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom