• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Metagame Minute, DI Part 4, Out Now! 12/13/2011 UPDATE!

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
I'm actually going to detail better versions of these two options. As well as a third one ;)

DeLux

Yeah.

Actually I just thought of another one that isn't an option select persay, but is helpful involving some shield stuff.

But pro tip: You know that F Roll or Grab Option Select? Instead of hitting cstick forward, tap forward on the analog stick and like the frame after tap up on the cstick (almost simultaneously, but analog then cstick first) and watch what happens when you get hit on shield ;)

It's almost twice as good as the option you mentioned.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
i love doing this stuff. its too fun. Im trying to work on some Sonic specific option selects too ( i feel any character that can instant shield should really figure out what to do with it, besides the platform drop through and instant nade pick).

Ima check it out now. That sounds like it makes sense though; Cuz i was getting some odd stuff sometimes by using a combination of the analog with the cstick. More stuff to test!

Delux if you ever have time, itd be cool if you can help me figure out some Sonic spindash properties. That move has so many options, some of them we sonic mains dont even understand. Like you can Aerial Spin Charge and it will just end. no Shield at all lol. stuff is goofy. Anyways Delux hit me up in PMs, I would love to discuss more with you, I know you cant divulge smash lab stuff, but just self projects. Also the fact that you really want break down this game is awesome. you could probably help me toss around some ideas; fresh thinking is always good haha.

PM ME hahaha.

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
Haven't checked up on this in a while. What's the 411?

Yeah.

Actually I just thought of another one that isn't an option select persay, but is helpful involving some shield stuff.

But pro tip: You know that F Roll or Grab Option Select? Instead of hitting cstick forward, tap forward on the analog stick and like the frame after tap up on the cstick (almost simultaneously, but analog then cstick first) and watch what happens when you get hit on shield ;)

It's almost twice as good as the option you mentioned.
This looks... interesting. I'm guessing it's roll/usmash for nohit/hit on shield. I'll have to give it a shot later. I like this kinda stuff though, it looks epic :-D

DeLux

I think we're in the latter stages of the written release.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
Iono if Mike went over with u the Marth DS^roll one we found a year ago. Im loving the SDI x 2 grab^roll OS as well. I think my personal favorites though are the aerial^roll OS and the Usmash OoS^Roll OS that i found. I actually wrote a blog on the basic principles of OS here:

http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=125939

I am going to make a video soon regarding not just the shield ones but some other OS that are character dependent that could deal with certain issues that the character may have. Im going to try to find solid ones for each character so people can start searching themselves and create some good stuff.

@GIMR or Delux: Have any of you analyzed the footstool mechanics? I can semi consistently FSJ an aerial SL, as well as Mks uairs and nairs. However sometimes it seems to not work and I want to truly understand why , and what are the EXACT conditions that need to be met in order to FSJ uairs and the like. There needs to be a guide for footstooling too; for such a powerful tech, its waaaaaay underused by players.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Foot stooling is all about how close your foot hurtbox is to any of your opponent's hurtboxes. If your opponent throws out a small aerial then you should be able to foot stool him and not get hit by the attack. MK's u-air is too big for you to avoid it. If you've been foot stooling MK out of U-air then he's just mis timing the u-ar.

Pro-tip. If you're coming down with out a double jump you can spam jump and you'll foot stool MK if he tries to Shuttle Loop you. It works 80% of the time.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
What is the progress of the third DI video? Are you nearing completion? I'm looking forward to it.

Cassio

Smash Master
Foot stooling is all about how close your foot hurtbox is to any of your opponent's hurtboxes. If your opponent throws out a small aerial then you should be able to foot stool him and not get hit by the attack. MK's u-air is too big for you to avoid it. If you've been foot stooling MK out of U-air then he's just mis timing the u-ar.

Pro-tip. If you're coming down with out a double jump you can spam jump and you'll foot stool MK if he tries to Shuttle Loop you. It works 80% of the time.
Does this work on both types of shuttle loop?

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
Cassio its easiest to FSJ SL by fast falling into the center or being at the back of it. from what ive found.

Also if you have a high priority move you should never AD out of fear vs SL, there IS NO INVICIBILITY ON AERIAL SL AND GROUND SL ONLY HAS INVINCIBILITY A BIT BEFORE THE START UP. Heck Sonic can even ASC through GSL as its rising. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HUqEaH58cI#t=2m19s

EDIT: @JimmyFosho: LOL I just thought it was hilarious.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
I dunno, I guess they're still working on it, are you guys?

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
SDI Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecrl_hzvPlM

Again, nothing new. Sorry for the delay, copious amounts of schoolwork + some TF2 involved.

Any questions, post up and I'll answer.

There is a part 4 and it's going to be a surprise! It's not one of the basics, either!!!

Flayl

Smash Hero
So, is quarter-circle SDI coming up in the next part? Because the current video teaches a bad habit for Brawl, which is to SDI by tapping the control stick instead of rotating it (which is faster, easier and more effective)

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I would suggest putting in annotations that say you can't sdi down when you're already on the ground. You have to sdi up then down.

:phone:

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
So, is quarter-circle SDI coming up in the next part? Because the current video teaches a bad habit for Brawl, which is to SDI by tapping the control stick instead of rotating it (which is faster, easier and more effective)
yeah, I was saving it for part 4.

edit: delux says you're wrong, see below =x

I would suggest putting in annotations that say you can't sdi down when you're already on the ground. You have to sdi up then down.

oops, i'll add that in.

DeLux

Spoiler: I am fairly confident we are going to bust this myth with the next video and accompanying thread.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Considering I tested different methods of SDI myself I look forward to it then. I wouldn't call it a myth though (because it works)

I thought QCDI and HCDI was only more effective than SDI for one hit moves?
You can try it yourself against Pit's sideB. Or smart bombs in training mode.

HCDI is in fact only useful for one hit moves (compared to QCDI)

DeLux

More in regard to the "faster, easier, and more effective" being a myth. I disagree and part four will explain why on a mechanical level.

In non-specific terms, strictly tapping alone is not as effective, but if tapped correctly there is a superior way than QCDI

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
I would like to point out that. I was the marth sdi'ing the snake nair, and I definitely did it with old fashioned tapping. I can get out of everything in one hit using it. Really qcdi maxes out at three inputs, and I can tap fast enough to match 3 at times

Also my way is not luxs

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
In non-specific terms, strictly tapping alone is not as effective, but if tapped correctly there is a superior way than QCDI
You mean how (say if I wanted to SDI upward) I could hold up-left on the analog stick and mash up-right on the c-stick?

Sorry if I just spoiled everything :B

Flayl

Smash Hero
You mean how (say if I wanted to SDI upward) I could hold up-left on the analog stick and mash up-right on the c-stick?

Sorry if I just spoiled everything :B
You can do this with qcdi too...

Stealth Raptor: What are you talking about? QCDI doesn't max out at 3 inputs, you rock the stick back and forth between two diagonals.

For prolonged SDI: Say you want to go right - you tap the control stick right, then move it up to up/right, then circle it back down to down/right and repeat. All the while you tap the C-stick to the opposite diagonal of the control stick (or if you want to do it the easy way tap it only to the up/right position every time you hit down/right with the control stick).

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
actually ignore this

what i will say though

Say you want to go right - you tap the control stick right, then move it up to up/right, then circle it back down to down/right
that is three inputs, and that is all the vast majority of people are gonna do per hit of an average hitbox. our surprise is..... better :)

DeLux

Amongst the SDI things that people seem to know already at a basic level, there's a whole slew of other things that the thread will touch

MARLX

Smash Journeyman
These videos helped me alot, also I was wondering if there were any more DI vids similar to the ones on the VGB channel? Are there more section to the video and if there is that would be amazing. Thanks guys.

Top Bottom