• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Q&A Thread

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
Does anyone have an exhaustive list of grab options against Captain Falcon?
I've been having trouble with that matchup and no others.

D Who?

Smash Journeyman
Wtf I wasn't even trying to come off as an *******?? That's just how I talk stop being so insensitive.. I'm just as confused as you are lmao.
I'm assuming you already saw GIMR's RCO lag video? If not, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWH-py8VENU&feature=related

MK can stall for 18 frames max between first and second hit, and 29 between second and third.. I would have to say you could probably input a fast aerial to hit MK if he stops after the 2nd hit, which also reduces any sort of RCO lag to 1/3 (using aerials before landing)
My apologies. It just seemed that way. And thank you for the extra information :D
Now I know.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Does anyone have an exhaustive list of grab options against Captain Falcon?
I've been having trouble with that matchup and no others.
Captain Falcon? Why? He shouldn't be difficult at all unless they are that much better than you as a player
Grab>Dthrow >Dash Attack> buffer turn around grab> B throw > up b
Grab>Dhtorw> uair > uair > uair > nair
grab> tornado > juggle
grab>dthrow> grab again > dthrow > tornado
grab>dthrow>grab again>dthrow> uair>uair> up b
grab>fthrow>fair
grab>dthrow>dash attack> nair>uair>tornado
grab>dthrow>dash attack>utilt>usmash
grab>dthrow>dash attack>utilt> uair>uair>up b or tornado
grab>dthrow>dash attack>utilt>grab again>dthrow>tornado

none of these are really guaranteed i just remember doing them vs different DI
idk there are a lot of things MK can do out of dthrow against captain falcon you just have to read their DI/react to it.

you can GSL/tornado his approaches and stuff and nado a lot of his options and edge guarding him dair his up b

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
Thank You I will never lose to Captain Falcon again! Finally I am on my trek to be the best player in the world!

Edit: I can't stop his knee? What do you do!!!!!!

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
HE isn't near enough but he comes in from such a distance! I don't understand what you mean by safer!?

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Don't use many attacks that allow your opponent to hit you after them (laggy).
Also, try to stay as far as possible from him, by attacking him with the very tip of your attacks (called spacing, when your attacks are much wider than theirs, you "out-space" them).
Combining those is basically what playing safe means.

Is harder to play safe against characters with great mobility like Wario, Pikachu or Falcon, but learning to do so brings you big rewards.

Nic64

Smash Lord
wario's mobility is not threatening to MK. you can pretty much just buffer safe attacks like an idiot all day and he has a really hard time doing anything significant, his ground game is pretty poor and he has little range/disjoint...I believe DMG said it's actually mathematically impossible for him to do anything from the air, I know he has a really hard time with it anyway

Kaffei

Smash Hero
mathematically.. meaning theory?

sry but it's better to think practically
humans make mistakes

Nic64

Smash Lord
so you're saying that...in practice wario doesn't have great difficulty getting in on MK

Kaffei

Smash Hero

way to turn my words completely around.
the match up is obviously in MK's favor.. but for you to say "you can pretty much just buffer safe attacks like an idiot all day" makes me think that what you say isn't very credible

Nic64

Smash Lord
well what are you getting at then? are you just disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing because OMG THIS TRUTH HAPPENS TO BE BACKED UP BY FRAME DATA, DISCUSSING DATA IS BAD? looking at move characteristics analytically *is* a very practical way of strategizing. maybe it doesn't mean wario literally can't ever touch you, but it does give weight to meta knight's ability to stay relatively safe, particularly against wario's more powerful attacks

I don't care if you think I'm less credible because I used a little hyperbole, I never claimed to be an authority on anything and it would be pretentious and ******** to do so considering pretty much every regular on this forum except orion is a random. my opinion is what it is and that's what I think about MK vs wario, if you disagree with it because I cited someone elses thoughts that were based on data that's your prerogative

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Problem with frame data is that it is easily overrated.
People sometimes are like "ZOMG, mah jump is fraem 8 and ur attak is fraem 4, u raepz meeee!!!".

I mean, if frame perfection were THAT impacting, MK (and probably DDD) would've been banned a long, long time ago.
In reality, people screw things up and high-mobility characters punish them.

Nic64

Smash Lord
wario is only highly mobile in the air where we have a huge range/disjoint advantage on him, I don't think it's nearly as hard as characters with good ground speed like fox who can dart in the moment you mess up, you have a lot more room for error with wario

75% of the smash community wants MK gone, it just won't happen for political reasons lmao

Kaffei

Smash Hero
well what are you getting at then? are you just disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing because OMG THIS TRUTH HAPPENS TO BE BACKED UP BY FRAME DATA, DISCUSSING DATA IS BAD? looking at move characteristics analytically *is* a very practical way of strategizing. maybe it doesn't mean wario literally can't ever touch you, but it does give weight to meta knight's ability to stay relatively safe, particularly against wario's more powerful attacks
Why would I disagree for the sake of disagreeing, that would be a complete waste of my time. If you even bothered to read any of my previous posts in this thread you would have realized that I look into frame data often.
It just seemed to me that you were the type of person who would think that (for example) Wario could never dair Meta Knight because up air is frame 2 and disjointed and wario's dair is frame 9 therefore Wario cannot get in (which is obviously false)

nic64 said:
I don't care if you think I'm less credible because I used a little hyperbole, I never claimed to be an authority on anything and it would be pretentious and ******** to do so considering pretty much every regular on this forum except orion is a random. my opinion is what it is and that's what I think about MK vs wario, if you disagree with it because I cited someone elses thoughts that were based on data that's your prerogative
it's not even about the hyperbole -_-
just because he uses data doesn't mean he's always right.. i mean wtf he doesn't even place compared to other warios (neither do i but that's irrelevant)

theunabletable

Smash Lord
wario is only highly mobile in the air where we have a huge range/disjoint advantage on him,
if Wario positions himself correctly, and he sees you fair, he can guaranteed air dodge in and grab.

imo wario vs MK is evenish. That's just my opinion and feel free to disagree, but I can't see what makes it sooo bad for Wario. Like maybe it's slight MK advantage, but really Wario has an option against pretty much everything of MKs, and lives really long, and kills pretty early.

Pachinkosam

I have no friends, Im dead inside
gotta catch them all. so classic nice avatar theunabletable gary mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmnnmnmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmjmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ok am done PLEASE VISIT MY BLOG SMASHPROZ IT SO LONELY:)

Orion*

Smash Researcher
if Wario positions himself correctly, and he sees you fair, he can guaranteed air dodge in and grab.

imo wario vs MK is evenish. That's just my opinion and feel free to disagree, but I can't see what makes it sooo bad for Wario. Like maybe it's slight MK advantage, but really Wario has an option against pretty much everything of MKs, and lives really long, and kills pretty early.
it's like +1 or something imo. solid 60/40

Honestly, I think that wario has options as well, but many times it's very well... lack luster. Many times he has to work hard and only gets a some percent, or sometimes just a positional advantage because MK can really just outspeed wario with smart ground options and play safe.

(outside of weight and air having ******** air mobility) The problem is when wario does get a read it's pretty gay, even if it's a light one like nair->fthrow. 17% uairs, or even just a 12% fthrow can add up when you die at like 60 to fart... it's is kinda homo.

lets not even start on tire combos LMAO it's not worth it. I almost always just throw the tires off

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Given that match-up ratios are relative to each other, if Wario was a -1, characters like Snake and Diddy Kong who quite clearly do better against MK would be a +0. That obviously isn't the case, which puts Wario at -2 and Meta Knight's closest match-ups at -1.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
@Orion: Yeah that's mostly all agreeable.

idk I'd say Wario when played well could have a really close matchup, but you're right that he has to work hard to keep a positional advantage so that he can bait all of MKs ****, which is probably really stressful, and mentally exhausting. In a practical environment it's probably a little worse than I feel it could be :p

@grim: I can't speak for anyone else, but I personally think Fox is his worst matchup (even, probably Fox's favor on neutrals, evenish because of gay CPs, just imo, though), and that Wario does better vs MK than Diddy.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I agree with Fox being really hard for MK, not sure about worst match-up, but definitely up there.

No one goes even with MK though, and no one beats him. I can see Fox effectively going even with him due to the limitations of human playing ability, but MK still has the best tools.

^All imo

vato_break

Smash Master
I think its slightly mks advanatage agianst fox, a lot of metaknights don't edgegaurd/fox correctly..if you ever see TKD fight foxes with his mk you'll know what i mean. Though this is just imo, personally i dislike fighting foxes as mk so i just go diddy lol.

I don't believe anyone in the game goes even with mk or beats him on neutrals except for himself.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
The only part I disagree with table's and vato's posts there is the usage of the world "neutrals".
Fox might be even-ish on the most static/flat stages, just like Diddy. But nothing MK can't handle. There's nothing MK can't handle.

Exdeath

Smash Master
Given that match-up ratios are relative to each other
They really aren't. The ratios may not be absolutely accurate, but if ratios were relative then very few ratios would be the same because virtually no match-up is equally difficult (nor is the way in which they are difficult the same).

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
They are roughly relative to each other. If they weren't relative to each other, the numbers would be essentially meaningless.

The only inherent value that +1 has is that it's higher than -4 to +0 and lower than +2 to +4.

Exdeath

Smash Master
They are roughly relative to each other. If they weren't relative to each other, the numbers would be essentially meaningless.

The only inherent value that +1 has is that it's higher than -4 to +0 and lower than +2 to +4.
They are essentially meaningless.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
IM trying to learn more pro tricks for my MK. I know one thats been used a ton recently is roll to grab or Dair camping with a couple jumps to ff AD to stuff. stutter step fsmashes have worked for me as well. Is there any tips anyone could give me?

Player-4

See you in 25 years
Honestly I say just watch vids of top MKs and pick up their good tricks, smart play and spacing will really be your best asset though, not ATs.

Play to not get hit.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
IM trying to learn more pro tricks for my MK. I know one thats been used a ton recently is roll to grab or Dair camping with a couple jumps to ff AD to stuff. stutter step fsmashes have worked for me as well. Is there any tips anyone could give me?
Yeah I really like dair camping at a position where I can move to the ground faster than reaction.

Although one thing to be aware of, is that ff AD to stuff gives people a visual cue so they're able to punish as soon as their reaction time allows after seeing the air dodge start. Whereas not airdodging and simply fastfalling makes your animation unchanging until you hit the ground, their first visual cue, where they can be CERTAIN that you're landing is the actual landing, any time before that you can dair again (which they're probably expecting to some extent).

Like airdodging and then doing something can be nice for buffering (it's good for guaranteed punishes), but you have to weigh the pros and cons of buffering, and having your attack come out as fast as possible, but also having the other person's reaction to your attack be essentially faster by an amount of roughly every frame that you're in your airdodge. Like MK's Ftilt is faster than reaction, but airdodge>Ftilt isn't, and if they're looking for an airdodge, and if you're in that position there's a good chance they are, they might be able to, essentially, stop your attempted Ftilt on reaction. It's kinda like the difference between being on the ledge, and doing a ledge hop > air dodge, and landing on the ground around the time your air dodge invincibility ends, and dropping low, and doing a double jump so that you land on the stage at the lowest point you can.

Just a small little idea that no one seems to talk about :p

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Is it just MK that can do it?

Actually forget that, I'll just check.

Wait so it is just a true pivot.

Hmmm... I guess not all characters stop when they do it.

Exdeath

Smash Master
Is it just MK that can do it?

Actually forget that, I'll just check.

Wait so it is just a true pivot.

Hmmm... I guess not all characters stop when they do it.
The way that the momentum works is somewhat unique, however every member of the cast can do it.

NNID
Budget_Player
Anyone have any tips against pit? I actually have never played the matchup before, and I have no idea what to watch for or how to play it, and I'm going to be facing a very, very good Pit in pools at the smashfest this weekend.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
idk that MU either lmao

just be careful when you're recovering cus his mirror shield can gimp you... plzzz dont get gimped
ftilt out ranges everything he has on ground
dair camping doesnt really work
power shield his arrows

idk GL

Top Bottom