• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Q&A Thread

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I still have problems with the Pikachu MU.
I just can't figure it and I rarely ever play it.
Not even CPUs training helps (the way I figured Wario and other MUs), they barely do any Skullbash or Jolt so I can't learn how they works or their timings....

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
I NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER F-tilt snake. It's not worth the risk at all. He'll just f-tilt you and you'll take damage. It may pop him in the air which is useful, but ugh, it's not worth it to risk getting f-tilted by him.

you should just never f-tilt against snake, imo
If you space it properly, it's not really that risky. If the Snake likes to camp with Mortars (U-Smash) or likes to F-Tilt/Pivot Grab/U-Tilt your approches, a well spaced F-Tilt it's very good option to get over these strategies. Because, most snakes do not expect an MK to walk up to them and F-Tilt them. They usually expect an MK to D-Air camp, tornado, or do a spaced F-Air (Rolling behind him, or Spotdodging his F-Tilt/Pivot Grab are great options as well. I love to punish Snake with a grab + D-throw or a F-Tilt, both of them get him on the air. And getting Snake on the Air and punishing his poor aerial game is the way to win this match up).

I only like to Ftilt his landing, that's it
It's better to grab him sometimes. Most Snakes like to shield when they land, or pull a grenade. Grab covers both options. A delayed F-Tilt (Doing to the 3 hits of the F-Tilt in the slowest possible way) can hit Snake even if he spotdodges. So it becomes a mix up. I usually grab twice if the Snake likes to Spot Dodge.

KassandraNova

Smash Master
3DS FC
4167-5079-1850
I don't agree, sorry. Haha. I don't think F-tilt is safe against snake. :/ The mu is all about grabbing snake though. @_@

As for Pika, I have a bit of trouble with him too, and I can SDI out of his dsmash, but I just get tired of doing it. lmoa i must sound lazy...

Orion*

Smash Researcher
Smashville is good as well because of how the platform can help your recovery, while it doesn't really help Marth as much. (if he tries to up-b onto it, he'll get hit off easily, if he tries to jump on it after grabbing the ledge, he'll probably have his RCO lag from up-b)
>_>

The more I play the Marth MU the more I think it's based around timing. Basically, Marth has an answer to virtually everything that MK has, but what makes it difficult for Marth is that his timing is far more sensitive than MK's timings. For example, if I Neutral B from the ledge and Marth Up-Bs me for it, I can just do it again and stop moving forward just before I reach him. Holding his shield will beat it, but it's more likely that he'll Up-B again.
pretty much but

he has more than one option that beats nado from the ledge like that...
upB is actually more of a reaction / awkward angle.
for simplicity he can very easily counter it (you can wait for this as well although it's a really long wait xD)
reads / good spacing/reaction he can fair/nair the top sometimes
The gayest is if he just throws out the tipper on prediction. you die super early, if he misses he eats only a nado or a fair or something lol
you should just never f-tilt against snake, imo
i love dtilt vs snake :(
Uair beats everything from below easily; snake's dair has garbage priority lol.
that 4th hit XD
The mu is all about grabbing snake though. @_@
this
pika beats MK

anyone who's played anther knows this
my garbage *** snake did better than my mk vs him >_>

Destiny Warrior

Smash Apprentice
His characteristics when put together put a very wide gap between himself and other characters. I don't think they were specifically broken, but together they pushed him over the limit. At least that's what I see.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
It is not the global ruleset?

omfg my life is made of lies >.<
Unity ruleset is for North America only and even then people don't have to use it. You also realize the rules are basically a guide right? You could play with items on and 11 stocks if you wanted, everything comes down to the TOs discretion.

KazeKun

Smash Apprentice
What is the best Momentum Cancel for MK if you get hit by an uptilt from snake?

Uair or Dair? or Uair to Dair?

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
What should mk do in the G&W match up?

All I really do is Up-b OoS if they try to Bair me. Is there a safe way to nado without G&W Up-bing you?

Exdeath

Smash Master
What should mk do in the G&W match up?

All I really do is Up-b OoS if they try to Bair me. Is there a safe way to nado without G&W Up-bing you?
Grounded Neutral Bs are good and don't really have the negative free-fall risk like aerial Neutral B does. Ironically enough, G&W's Bair is utter trash against aerial Neutral B and then wrecks grounded Neutral B (the first hit will clank and cancel the Neutral B while G&W's Bair will continue and hit Meta Knight).

TSM ZeRo

Questions

• Which stages are the best for Meta Knight against Fox? And the best stages against Sonic? (Besides of Brinstar/Rainbow Cruise).

• What's better against Snake, Delfino Plaza or Frigate Orpheon? I usually choose Delfino Plaza, but I have seen some Meta Knight's counterpicking Snake to Frigate Orpheon quite often.

• What DI/SDI direction is the best to escape Fox's D-Air, Dash Attack (to not get U-Tilted/comboed) and U-Tilt combos? (Or any way to escape those attacks taking the least amount of damage possible)

• What DI/SDI direction is the best to survive Fox's U-Smash? And the best DI/SDI to survive Fox's second U-Air hit? And also, the best DI/SDI to escape Fox's second U-Air hit?

Thanks in advance!

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I luvz stages!!! :D

Fox hates changing stages. You can take him anywhere where he can't blaster properly and get an advantage (Delfino, PS2 (but you have it banned), probably Lylat) not a decent one, though.

Frigate is a "maybe" stage (for both Snake and Fox).
First part is obviously strong for characters without a good recovery, but second part is VERY good for them (because of the platforms popping from the sides). It is not reliable, but sometimes it is your best choice.

And I lack of Fox MU experience :awesome:

TSM ZeRo

I luvz stages!!! :D

Fox hates changing stages. You can take him anywhere where he can't blaster properly and get an advantage (Delfino, PS2 (but you have it banned), probably Lylat) not a decent one, though.

Frigate is a "maybe" stage (for both Snake and Fox).
First part is obviously strong for characters without a good recovery, but second part is VERY good for them (because of the platforms popping from the sides). It is not reliable, but sometimes it is your best choice.

And I lack of Fox MU experience :awesome:

Generalmente usaba Lylat Cruise, o Castle Siege contra Fox. Pero probare Delfino/Frigate a ver que tal.

Gracias Kyo por tu ayuda! :)

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757

• Which stages are the best for Meta Knight against Fox? And the best stages against Sonic? (Besides of Brinstar/Rainbow Cruise).

• What's better against Snake, Delfino Plaza or Frigate Orpheon? I usually choose Delfino Plaza, but I have seen some Meta Knight's counterpicking Snake to Frigate Orpheon quite often.

• What DI/SDI direction is the best to escape Fox's D-Air, Dash Attack (to not get U-Tilted/comboed) and U-Tilt combos? (Or any way to escape those attacks taking the least amount of damage possible)

• What DI/SDI direction is the best to survive Fox's U-Smash? And the best DI/SDI to survive Fox's second U-Air hit? And also, the best DI/SDI to escape Fox's second U-Air hit?

Thanks in advance!
ANy stage that tilts, really messes up fox's recovery so, Lylat would be a great choice. Try not to go to low ceiling area's. Also, Frigate is good, it's small so running away sometimes isn't and option.

To escape Fox's dair, either smash di towards him or away, if you do it correctly it's a free punish. To Di Uair, First smash di the first hit Up and away, the second hit should whiff. To di Up-smash, Double stick Di away.

Dash attack Double stick towards him. Uptilt. Smash Di up and Jump.

TSM ZeRo

ANy stage that tilts, really messes up fox's recovery so, Lylat would be a great choice. Try not to go to low ceiling area's. Also, Frigate is good, it's small so running away sometimes isn't and option.

To escape Fox's dair, either smash di towards him or away, if you do it correctly it's a free punish. To Di Uair, First smash di the first hit Up and away, the second hit should whiff. To di Up-smash, Double stick Di away.

Dash attack Double stick towards him. Uptilt. Smash Di up and Jump.
¡Thank you very much! ¡This will help me A LOT in the Fox MU, thanks again!

TKD

Smash Lord
Which chars do you guys think do well against MK?
I think it may be just Fox, but Havok makes it look like Snake is good too. Orion stated that Pikachu is.

Also, who are you gonna play once the ban comes in less than 3 months? My first choice is Marth. It's not that I think he's great, it's more about me liking Marth. I'd like to play DDD but Falco's almost as tough as MK for him.

Zwei Striker

Smash Apprentice
Well, here in mexico I think the ban won't be applied, yet I'm not sure. I think imma go falco, since I use him as a secondary in a few matchups where I don't feel comfortable with mk (ddd, wolf, dk). Also, I have a TL for casuals, I could try that too :3. BTW, I look forward to playing against you the next time you come to Ensenada TKD, I missed the tourney you came at a few weeks ago because of work, but I shall be there the next time :3

Edit: I think falco, fox and pikachu are the matchups that are 50:50 for mk

TSM ZeRo

I think it may be just Fox, but Havok makes it look like Snake is good too. Orion stated that Pikachu is.

Also, who are you gonna play once the ban comes in less than 3 months? My first choice is Marth. It's not that I think he's great, it's more about me liking Marth. I'd like to play DDD but Falco's almost as tough as MK for him.

Falco and Fox in my opinion, have the best chances against Meta Knight. (If the Meta Knight plays the Match Up correctly, Snake doesn't have any chance).

I will main Diddy Kong and use Snake/Ice Climbers for certain match ups (Peach, Luigi, Olimar, Mr. Game & Watch, etc.).

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I always thought Pikachu is even with MetaKnight, even in MK's "good stages", except Brinstar. Pika scapes early from Nado, and can Punish it by either running or just a jolt. Only he needs is a good opportunity to kill, and he can even surpass MK's good momentum cancelling with Thunder.
Falco, Fox, Snake (arguably) and Diddy are only good against him on static stages.
Wario and GnW are good against him on the moving ones.
And that's pretty much it, MK has tools to beat nearly every other character on most situations.

And that main switch thing should be asked on the Social Thread, imo.

Kaffei

Smash Hero

MK, Olimar, Fox, Snake, Pikachu imo

When the ban comes I'll probably play Wario cus he's fun

theunabletable

Smash Lord
I think Wario does pretty well against MK, like maybe around even, a little bit in MK's favor probably.

and I'll be playing Wario/DK when he's banned, I think, with Snake for ICs (since I like that matchup more than Wario/DK vs ICs), and ICs for D3, I think.

vato_break

Smash Master

I'll probably play diddy kong and maybe have mario as a secondary..idk yet!

Exdeath

Smash Master
How do I beat Samus? I just lost to Quik...

EDIT: and ZSS. He basically 3-stocked me with ZSS.
... I'm tired of re-posting my write-ups on the MU so you'll just have to look for them haha.

Even though a lot of/most people disagree with me, I believe that Ice Climbers and Fox are MK's even MUs. After that I think that Pikachu/Olimar/Diddy Kong are relatively even (not countered, but not even). I think that MK counters both Snake and Wario, but once again most people disagree.

I'm experimenting on DDD/G&W/Marth for singles/doubles because they're tolerable to play (I don't enjoy playing most of the cast) and viable in both singles and doubles. I'm working on Ice Climbers off and on becfause I think that they don't have bad match-ups and that they're the best character in the game without Meta Knight (which is, again, an unpopular opinion).

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Most ICs' Matchups reduce to "how safe is X against sheilds" or "how long can X avoid getting grabbed".
They have some bad Matchups, but none ofthem is unwinnable imo, not even close, as long as you can keep the Chaingrabs or follow-ups.

Top Bottom