• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Q&A Thread

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
You have to hit his upb from behind with nair. It's not hard to get some damage out of his recovery, gimping is indeed something else entirely.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Impossible, no. You can exploit his recovery though, get some damage in and if you can make multiple reads one after another in quick succession, you can gimp him.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
Diddy is sooooooo much easier to gimp than Marth. Atleast for me haha.

Depending on how you decide to space yourself, you can usually either uair, or dair his side B on reaction.

If he recovers high, he can be tough to gimp, but still juggleable, especially if he has no second jump, and juggles can often lead to hitting him off the stage with no second jump, where he has to recover from the side, or low.

I guess there are a lot of ways to gimp Diddy, but I tend, when he's recovering from the side, or low, stay above him, and between him and the ledge, and punish anything he commits to with tippered dair (the angle of a tippered dair, as opposed to the inner hit from it, is a lot better (or maybe it just has more knockback)).

Oh yeah, Rain's SL **** *****. One mixup people don't expect is doing an SL that they air dodge off the stage on SV, and then platform dropping to dair like immediately.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
I don't think that was as much because Marth's easy to gimp, but was largely because... ****ing no US MK has EVER done up Bs quite like that.

I mean it might be because that's effective against Marth, but I don't think that that match is indicative of MK gimping a Marth who's ever actually seen that stuff.

Like it's hard to say, but it definitely seemed clear to me that those gimps were very largely because of their gimmicky, unknown nature. Marth didn't even really do anything to attempt to counter them, or show that he even expected it as a possible option with the way Rain was spacing that stuff

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I agree, that sht is just something that's nothing short of a gimmick once a Marth gets used to it.

If you nair Marths upB from behind, once of three things happen
1. the hitbox is weak, marths gets stuck against the wall without being able to tech. Guarenteed dair/upb (which then leads to point 2 or 3)
2. he bounces off the wall, if DI up, bad situation for him, if other DI, guarenteed move.
3. he techs, bad situation for him.

Alternatively, Dair his upB, also really possible.

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
I don't think that was as much because Marth's easy to gimp, but was largely because... ****ing no US MK has EVER done up Bs quite like that.

I mean it might be because that's effective against Marth, but I don't think that that match is indicative of MK gimping a Marth who's ever actually seen that stuff.

Like it's hard to say, but it definitely seemed clear to me that those gimps were very largely because of their gimmicky, unknown nature. Marth didn't even really do anything to attempt to counter them, or show that he even expected it as a possible option with the way Rain was spacing that stuff
Mr.R was doing those upbs more than a year ago.

Exdeath

Smash Master
How do you quickly FF after SL? sorry if i worded that poorly i'll link a video so that its more clear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2zn8vA8zxw (@ 00:57)
Smash down and B at the same time after MK has reached the apex of his Up-B.

Learn the gimp Rain used at Genesis, no one expects that ****.
FL Marth's are already Up-Bing my Up-B when I try it. I've tried mixing it up with jump>Dair instead of Up-B at the same spacing, but it hasn't worked yet. :(

C.J.

Smash Master
Or you can invincinair him from the top which will trade/beat it out right. You can run offstage so you're behind him and bair him (will also beat DS consistently, you just have to be able to tell when you will DS). Or just reverse SL onto the stage. It'll trade hits w/ DS (make sure you tech it if necessary) and Marth will fall helplessly.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
Hi guys, I went to a tourney (first on in like nearly a year o_o) and was having trouble in the Lucario mu.
Any general tips or guide to the MU?
Just watch Jason in the MU

I played a good local Lucario yesterday in tourney and beat him for the first time because I just played smart aggro

Perfect Nadoes ****

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Or you can invincinair him from the top which will trade/beat it out right. You can run offstage so you're behind him and bair him (will also beat DS consistently, you just have to be able to tell when you will DS). Or just reverse SL onto the stage. It'll trade hits w/ DS (make sure you tech it if necessary) and Marth will fall helplessly.
Will not work because Marth has sooooo much time to mix up when he will upB lol

C.J.

Smash Master
You'd be surprised.

It's not like you can just do it mindlessly. However, it is definitely a good thing to do. Nair has multiple hits which gives a lot of coverage. Ditto bair (nair is better). And even if you miss w/ SL and he recovers, you're still safe and get to ledge trap so it's not like you risked anything.

(I'm not saying he's easier to gimp than diddy. Just that it is far from impossible.)

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
You'd be surprised.

It's not like you can just do it mindlessly. However, it is definitely a good thing to do. Nair has multiple hits which gives a lot of coverage. Ditto bair (nair is better). And even if you miss w/ SL and he recovers, you're still safe and get to ledge trap so it's not like you risked anything.

(I'm not saying he's easier to gimp than diddy. Just that it is far from impossible.)
If you can invincinair him, you could just as easily edgehog marth. It's not that simple my friend. Marth can indeed mix up his recovery.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
Marth is hard to gimp.
it's more that it's risky than hard.

Learn the gimp Rain used at Genesis, no one expects that ****.
it's just running off the stage and shuttle looping with no tap jump i dont why people get so surprised by that ****. m2k has tap jump so he doesn't do it really often but i don't see why people are like OMG when it's something so EXTREMELY basic.

In fact, it's not even good if marth recovers low, since it won't hit him (ntm if he sees you do it and upbs he will grab the ledge and then you are dead)

it's AMAZING at punishing marths that aren't recovering properly, or greedily. that's it

Just watch Jason in the MU

I played a good local Lucario yesterday in tourney and beat him for the first time because I just played smart aggro

Perfect Nadoes ****
Nado's not as amazing as people think in the MU. it's good but (or at least if he has his jump) lucario easily gets out of it with proper DI. in the end you still have to learn to cover his landings properly which i now realize is a bit harder than I thought if you play someone that knows what they are doing.

Either way, it rappppes scrubs lmao.

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
it's more that it's risky than hard.

it's just running off the stage and shuttle looping with no tap jump i dont why people get so surprised by that ****. m2k has tap jump so he doesn't do it really often but i don't see why people are like OMG when it's something so EXTREMELY basic.

In fact, it's not even good if marth recovers low, since it won't hit him (ntm if he sees you do it and upbs he will grab the ledge and then you are dead)

it's AMAZING at punishing marths that aren't recovering properly, or greedily. that's it

Nado's not as amazing as people think in the MU. it's good but (or at least if he has his jump) lucario easily gets out of it with proper DI. in the end you still have to learn to cover his landings properly which i now realize is a bit harder than I thought if you play someone that knows what they are doing.

Either way, it rappppes scrubs lmao.
The range surprises people ;)

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Orion, RAIN has tap jump on. I do it quite often as well and I also have tap jump on.
so wat

his point is that it's stupid that ppl are going OMG over something so basic that was discovered forever ago

Exdeath

Smash Master
So the difference between RAIN and most other MKs isn't that he has tap jump off; it's that he's more technically inclined.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
So the difference between RAIN and most other MKs isn't that he has tap jump off; it's that he's more technically inclined.
okay. rain has more tech skill than most people (we didn't know that?)

I thought he had no tap jump on, I'm sorry I guessed his controls incorrectly. It still really is irrelevant, and doesn't change my point lol

Napos

Smash Ace
I'm really bummed that metaknight can not platform surf, is there anything that will satisfy this urge I have gentlemen? Is there anything else I can do??

Exdeath

Smash Master
okay. rain has more tech skill than most people (we didn't know that?)

I thought he had no tap jump on, I'm sorry I guessed his controls incorrectly. It still really is irrelevant, and doesn't change my point lol
I agree with your point; I was just pointing out that inaccuracy. People generally aren't used to MK going that low. I even catch high level Meta Knight mains with it and gimp them at some fairly early percents.

Seibrik Red Halberd Halzy namesearch

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
First of, never nado a full shield. That's like asking to get punished.

Experiment by hitting slightly into une side (like diagonal-up), move to one side to make the shield weaker by its own or to make opponents believe you'll retreat and hit them when they drop their shields and hit them out of that.
Basically, just mix it up.

Exdeath

Smash Master
First of, never nado a full shield. That's like asking to get punished.

Experiment by hitting slightly into une side (like diagonal-up), move to one side to make the shield weaker by its own or to make opponents believe you'll retreat and hit them when they drop their shields and hit them out of that.
Basically, just mix it up.
Actually, much of the cast can still be shield poked with a full shield. Just look for the exposed body and try to barely poke it with Neutral B.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I'm assuming that the "exposed body" will normally be the head?

Cause I can't aim for the lower body without hitting their shield as well.

Thanks for the tip about faking a retreat, Kyokoro, I'll try that out.

Exdeath

Smash Master
If you can't hit their lower body without hitting the shield then your spacing is bad and you need to try practicing.

Characters like DK will have their hair/ears poke out of the shield early on in the shields life and other characters like Snake (and still DK) will poke their arms out of the shield early on. DK just gets wrecked by Neutral B in general.

You don't usually need to fake a retreat. You can just twitch back and forth on the edge of their shield.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
You usually need to find where they are angling their shield. If they angle it forward their back will be more vulnerable. Nado is fast enough to catch up with these spots pretty fast.

Exdeath

Smash Master
You usually need to find where they are angling their shield. If they angle it forward their back will be more vulnerable. Nado is fast enough to catch up with these spots pretty fast.
It helps that Neutral B has block stun out the wazoo.

Top Bottom