• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Q&A Thread

theunabletable

Smash Lord
dash attack to buffered uair might be guaranteed at some percentages.

First and second hit fair true combo into GSL at certain percentages IIRC, and first hit combos into buffered uair I think at a lot of percentages, and first and second hit of bair (like if you land during the first or second hit) true combo into a lot (or atleast seem to. They might as well because I've never not gotten a combo off first hit of bair lol) like turn around grab, turnaround dsmash, aerials, etc

At certain low percentages percentages (the hitstun is long enough for you to follow up with any of your aerials, IIRC, until like 37 or 38%. Whenever they're still in tumble, essentially. It's just a matter of if your attacks are still in range afterwards) tipper dair leads to anything you're in range for, which can be another tipper dair (if you're offstage), a fair (which if you did a SH dair, and now do a falling fair at the right percentage, it'll only hit with the first one or two hits, and you have a LOT of guaranteed. Same with dair > landing bair, but that's even better. I'm not sure if landing dair to Dtilt or Ftilt is guaranteed, but it always seems to work when they don't go into tumble haha.

I remember one time I was practicing against Fox, and at 0% I did something like a landing bair>buffered uair>landing bair>buffered uair>landing bair>buffered uair but idk if it was guaranteed and I haven't tried it again since lol.

I'm sure MK has a lot of funny buffered uair combos against Fox at 0% haha

Those are just off the top of my head, though. I'm pretty sure there are more.

Although MK has a lot of not-guaranteed but still really good followups, don't forget about those haha

earla

Smash Lord
on lylat got dthrown by a gaw high %.

i teched left away from the right hand side of the stage and the gaw dsmashed and it looked like it hit during my rolling animation.

what happened?

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
dtilt lock
infinite dtilt lock (very hard to do)
some low % uair combos
dtilt trip to dash attack / grab / whatever
Mmmmm isn't jab lock more effective? Same principle. You get more damage per distance, but it's a little trickier to do - you've just gotta tap A quickly.

earla

Smash Lord
hey, when you fast fall air dodge do you land with less lag then slowfall airdodge into the ground?

Exdeath

Smash Master
hey, when you fast fall air dodge do you land with less lag then slowfall airdodge into the ground?
You receive 3 more frames of landing when you fast-fall an air dodge, but you usually shave off many more frames of being trapped in the air. This is especially relevant considering most air dodges have ~20 vulnerable frames in the air after the invincibility finishes.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Mmmmm isn't jab lock more effective? Same principle. You get more damage per distance, but it's a little trickier to do - you've just gotta tap A quickly.
Oh yeah, i always forget about jab lock lol. Yes you're right

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I was working on a MK's stage tricks/tips compilation guide.
Videos are always more useful than writeups =P

M@v

Subarashii!
Hey guys, I'm just curious if using mk's glide toss vs diddy is really worth using or not in the mu. I know mk can do some cool stuff out of it, but can't diddy usually **** any sort of glide toss approach pretty hard?

Exdeath

Smash Master
Hey guys, I'm just curious if using mk's glide toss vs diddy is really worth using or not in the mu. I know mk can do some cool stuff out of it, but can't diddy usually **** any sort of glide toss approach pretty hard?
I don't recommend approaching an experienced Diddy. :)

theunabletable

Smash Lord
Glide toss is okay sometimes, like if he's near a ledge and doesn't have some retreat room. But I'd disagree with saying that approaching a Diddy is bad.

Approaching him when he has both bananas is bad, but like... and this applies to most characters unless you have a large enough lead that running away'll increase victory chances haha. But anyways you wanna be close enough to him that if he commits to something, you're able to punish it, but far enough away that most things he can try to commit to will fail on reaction if you take the proper counter-actions.

Whether that involves moving forward, moving backwards, or staying in the same position is dependent on what's most beneficial, and what the Diddy is doing at the time.

It's a lot like the Olimar matchup, where you wanna be in the air, at the position where he's forced to read what you'll do to hit you, and you can punish his commitments.

Approaching with glide toss works well sometimes, though. Atleast if you cover his options for punishing by doing something like a jump afterwards. If you jump after a glide toss, and he has a banana, he can't really punish you, and he's forced to shield (assuming you're doing it at a respectable distance). And you can then kinda tornado him more safely, because he can't punish retreating nados as effeciently because of the banana you put out there limiting his options.

So, yeah, glide toss (or just a standard toss, or an aerial throw) to nado works really well, as long as you retreat a bit afterwards, so that he can't punish you because of the tripping on the banana you threw.

Exdeath

Smash Master
Glide toss > Neutral B is inferior to pretty much any other toss > Neutral B, if only because the others involve Diddy shielding for free longer than if you'd glide tossed it. Sometimes this is the difference between poking and not poking. My personal preference for glide toss>? is a standing grab/charged Dsmash, which can either be fairly safe if you wait for the back hit or very powerful if you turn around during the toss for the guaranteed Dsmash>Dsmash combo.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
Yeah I do agree that other tosses > nado have more situations in which it's useful, but glide tossing > nado has its situations where it's good, too.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Metaknight can't force Wario and Jigglypuff to air release except on the edges of stages and platforms right?

Exdeath

Smash Master
Metaknight can't force Wario and Jigglypuff to air release except on the edges of stages and platforms right?
You can if you grab them out of the air or they mash out with a jump button (including tapping/rotating the control stick up with tap jump off).

lilseph

Smash Ace
Should i implement side B shenanigans like on battlefield or places with a platform into my game? Or is it just one of those things where its nice to know and to have in the back of your mind?

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Is something you just shouldn't try too often. Situationally useful, but not reliable at all...

-LzR-

Smash Hero
You mean the drillrush cancel? It's really nothing but a gimmick. It's fun, but I have pulled it off like twice in a real match. Most of the time I get punished for it. You can do it on any stage, but you need to memorize the spots. Easy on PS1, just drillrush at the center of the pokeball on the middle.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
Should i implement side B shenanigans like on battlefield or places with a platform into my game? Or is it just one of those things where its nice to know and to have in the back of your mind?
Just something for the back of your mind

It's something cool to start a match off with on BF, if you just take a small step forward you can Side-B cancel on the starting platforms, it's a nice way to get an instant lead if your opponent isn't ready. This works best against Olimar since they'll more than likely stay on the platform to pull 3 Pikmin which gives you enough time to Side-B > Nair.

This is also good if you're far away and your opponent is recovering because of a traded hit or something, Side-B cancel across stage and get right back in their face.

I've used it here and there and it'll catch people by surprise and into a possibly quick kill.

It's somewhat of a gimmick, but it's still viable.

Exdeath

Smash Master
It's definitely worth practicing if you practice a lot like I do so that you'll automatically try to cancel any accidental/buffered Side-Bs.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Avoid the suit pieces. If you get hold of one, throw it away. Don't let her get a lead with them. Once they are gone, start the actual fight.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
Camp and let him do the work, abuse his Aura, the more stocks you have and the less he has the stronger he gets. IE if you have 3 and he has 1 he can kill opponents in 3 hits, fully charged AS > Dair > Fsmash (not saying this is a combo, just all the damage you need to kill someone).

He can Aura Sphere out of your Dthrow, and just try to work off his throws, if he down throws, try to get there and Shuttle or Nair.

Exdeath

Smash Master
Mostly, but you also want to keep him from racking up damage too quickly and from getting killed (if you can help it). What I usually do when I'm teaming with Lucario is to wait by the ledge and then glide under the stage if he gets close by the opposite side of the stage. Lucario's high % Fthrow tends to put people in a very bad position very quickly, and that usually means that you can either try to gimp/harass them or get back on stage for a 2v1 while the fourth player recovers. If they have a slow but good recovery (e.g. Snake/Meta Knight) then you're probably better off going with a 2v1, since that can rack up damage very quickly and can give you a better opportunity to kill the on-stage opponent (if Lucario is at very high %, MK Dthrow>Lucario tipper Fsmash will kill at mid %).

Jem.

Smash Master
Hey everyone, just wanted to say RedHalberd of Florida is most likely coming to our monthly tomorrow. He is in Portland right now and is highly considering riding up with the Oregon players. So it should be an even more intense tournament than usual. So if you know my FB or AiB, look for the stream tomorrow around noon

NNID
Budget_Player
How do you auto-cancel Tornado?
Basically after the last hit of tornado, you have 30 frames of lag. If you hit the ground during those 30 frames of lag, they carry over. If you stay airborne the entire time, you go into specialfall (with the corresponding specialfall landing lag animation). The trick to autocancelling is to hit the ground as close as possible to the 30 frame mark, right near the end of the animation.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Does metaknight have an easier time gimping diddy or marth...for me it's diddy but i was wondering what yall thought :p

F A N G

Smash Journeyman
Basically after the last hit of tornado, you have 30 frames of lag. If you hit the ground during those 30 frames of lag, they carry over. If you stay airborne the entire time, you go into specialfall (with the corresponding specialfall landing lag animation). The trick to autocancelling is to hit the ground as close as possible to the 30 frame mark, right near the end of the animation.
Thanks!

By any chance do you know how long specialfall landing lag lasts?

Top Bottom