• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Q&A Thread

Kaffei

Smash Hero
I only play marth in melee cus he's fun in melee cus u can cancel stuff but in brawl i dont like him. he doesn't have the same grab combos and it's not fun

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Wario's will just stand at the ledge ftilting. They know they'll most likely get hit by a few fairs, but eventually, it's going to hit you and it's going to kill you. Also it beats tornado.

And ftilt is amazing vs Wario if he's on the ground. Just don't use the third hit on his shield. For the love of god don't. Unless you're cool with being farted on. Play so ****ing safe.

(Or DDD)

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I play against Falco with MK 90% of the time. I stay in dair camping, but I don't literally camp, I just protect myself with it just over his stuff so he can't grab me. Or you think the MU is about getting grabbed?

Orion*

Smash Researcher
I play against Falco with MK 90% of the time. I stay in dair camping, but I don't literally camp, I just protect myself with it just over his stuff so he can't grab me. Or you think the MU is about getting grabbed?
youre like chuee, i cant tell if you have absolutely no idea whats going on ever, or are you just trolling EVERYONE and youre a genius XD

Orion*

Smash Researcher
hold up before it hits you, or sdi up. at least thats what i have been told to do, and it works well for me

edit: ma dudes tired of gluttony already

Allied

Smash Master
yo orion when i'm timing a snake out should i

Make fun of him as i'm running away

wait till the very end then hit him with it all at once

?

K@0S

Smash Ace
hold up before it hits you, or sdi up. at least thats what i have been told to do, and it works well for me

edit: ma dudes tired of gluttony already
I dunno, I SDI up and it often doesn't work for some reason

I only tryed once to SDI down hard (was in teams) very recently and somehow I immediately landed, lag free (the last hit didn't connect, a bit like when you SDI down the first hit of Marth's nair). I haven't tryed again yet, I need a sandbag to test all that stuff :/

And yeah Glutonny, I "only" lost 2-3 in both WF and GF last tourney so I think I have a chance, it all comes to that kind of details and avoiding a single hit + getting in a bad postion against Wario is huge

Dojo

Smash Champion
I SDI up and against the direction he's coming at me if he gets me as he's going. Can usually get out and dair him immediately.

Dojo

Smash Champion
Eh it's usually not smart because if he spaces really well he can usually get away with just about any dair or nair without taking damage. Usually i try to punish it with nair or dair because I'm stubborn but it's usually not a great idea. Just roll away from him.

Wario to me is just about camping hitboxes. If you abuse your tilts to aerials there's not alot he can do to get in really. Just keep in range of your hits and out of range of his and he can't do ****. If you do that and avoid his farts it's GG.

jpak

Smash Lord
glide cancel fast fall SL, is this simply just pressing B and then down on the control stick during SL? Why does this make SL so hard to punish?

Dojo

Smash Champion
Mines to make them ragequit... the set.

@jpak - Press down + B together as you come around and your glide begins. It lets you land quickly and laglessly after your shuttle loop so it gives them maybe a quarter of second at most to react. Plus you can switch it up and keep gliding then cancel it so if they predict your landing in front of them they misssssss.

Dojo

Smash Champion
Honestly to me it's about keeping him pressured very consistently. Like putting his back to the edge.

All he's trying to do is set up a barrier of bomb's, boomerang, and arrows between you and him. That's where every MK seems to have the most trouble getting in. Learn every projectile has a set direction it goes. (Boomerang being the oddball. Just simply learn the distance it goes and know that it comes back.) It's like bobbing and weaving. Use the air, perfect shield, and rush in to close that distance as fast as you can. Learn all his little tricks so you're ready for them. (ie. quickdraw, double arrow, ibomb, etc.)

That seems to be everybody's biggest problem.

Now as far as when you close that distance it's kind of a guessing game where he gets a little reward and you get great rewards. Once you get here, nado ***** him especially airborn. If he's in the air, with no bomb. Nado. Just be aware of his dair and you're good to go. If you have his back against a ledge within a couple of character lengths they like to short hop away and come back in and zair. Free perfect shield to grab.

After grabs, dthrow has always been my personal favorite. Bthrow being a variation of I get them offstage. But after dthrow there's always a chance to follow up. Here it's a little difficult if you're not good at perfect shielding. They always usually tend to DI away and zair you. You can actually run at them and perfect shield that and get another free grab.

Another little thing if you get behind him and you're both shielding they tend to try and bair or nair off on your shield alot. If you wait for that it's usually a free grounded shuttle loop, nair or fair if you're fast enough. If they tend to just wait there in their shield, just grab them. Be careful of doing it if they're in front of you. They still have grab.

Also they have like no guaranteed kill setups. Period. No way to edgeguard you. Nothing. As long as you're smart and careful. Pay attention to your shield at high %'s. If they smash you at all, and they will, you can grab, tilt, dsmash, shuttle loop, whatever. Just keep your shield high enough so they don't shield poke you with some bull****. Especially bairs or nairs. It takes a while to kill you with DI but it'll kill you under 160ish if they don't stale it. Try staying grounded at high percents for the most part. In the air they try to fancy with that bomb to uair bull****. And I'm not having that.

Edgeguarding is as simple as getting a good dair in there. Problem is how. They usually pull a bomb then throw a boomerang up diagonally, fall towards the stage then upB. Just weave the boomerang with a job, remember it's coming back. Let it, then try to get a dair in between his jump and upB. It's really ****ing fast so it has to be practiced. But if you get a dair in and they're past 70ish it should be stock. Just remember their bomb will blow up and they get a free upB so get on stage by the ledge then just speed hug as he does his upB and you'll have invincibility frames and he falls to his death. Then you can chase after him and footstool him at the bottom. ;)

Sorry if it's alot of ****. It's all pretty useful. Don't take percents I posted to an exact because it's been over a year since I've really really played the matchup. I did play J@sh at MLG and did most of this **** with ease. I know he has a little MK weakness though, so whatever. I may get some games in with J3rm this weekend, since imo he's been the hardest TL for MK I've played and been recently getting alot better. We'll see how I do.

lilseph

Smash Ace
Good stuff Dojo, this should go to the MU thread if we someday go to TL.
I saved the whole post just in case dojo didn't LOL
yah someday i'll get TL up but the high tiers > TL as of right now.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Honestly to me it's about keeping him pressured very consistently. Like putting his back to the edge.

All he's trying to do is set up a barrier of bomb's, boomerang, and arrows between you and him. That's where every MK seems to have the most trouble getting in. Learn every projectile has a set direction it goes. (Boomerang being the oddball. Just simply learn the distance it goes and know that it comes back.) It's like bobbing and weaving. Use the air, perfect shield, and rush in to close that distance as fast as you can. Learn all his little tricks so you're ready for them. (ie. quickdraw, double arrow, ibomb, etc.)

That seems to be everybody's biggest problem.

Now as far as when you close that distance it's kind of a guessing game where he gets a little reward and you get great rewards. Once you get here, nado ***** him especially airborn. If he's in the air, with no bomb. Nado. Just be aware of his dair and you're good to go. If you have his back against a ledge within a couple of character lengths they like to short hop away and come back in and zair. Free perfect shield to grab.

After grabs, dthrow has always been my personal favorite. Bthrow being a variation of I get them offstage. But after dthrow there's always a chance to follow up. Here it's a little difficult if you're not good at perfect shielding. They always usually tend to DI away and zair you. You can actually run at them and perfect shield that and get another free grab.

Another little thing if you get behind him and you're both shielding they tend to try and bair or nair off on your shield alot. If you wait for that it's usually a free grounded shuttle loop, nair or fair if you're fast enough. If they tend to just wait there in their shield, just grab them. Be careful of doing it if they're in front of you. They still have grab.

Also they have like no guaranteed kill setups. Period. No way to edgeguard you. Nothing. As long as you're smart and careful. Pay attention to your shield at high %'s. If they smash you at all, and they will, you can grab, tilt, dsmash, shuttle loop, whatever. Just keep your shield high enough so they don't shield poke you with some bull****. Especially bairs or nairs. It takes a while to kill you with DI but it'll kill you under 160ish if they don't stale it. Try staying grounded at high percents for the most part. In the air they try to fancy with that bomb to uair bull****. And I'm not having that.

Edgeguarding is as simple as getting a good dair in there. Problem is how. They usually pull a bomb then throw a boomerang up diagonally, fall towards the stage then upB. Just weave the boomerang with a job, remember it's coming back. Let it, then try to get a dair in between his jump and upB. It's really ****ing fast so it has to be practiced. But if you get a dair in and they're past 70ish it should be stock. Just remember their bomb will blow up and they get a free upB so get on stage by the ledge then just speed hug as he does his upB and you'll have invincibility frames and he falls to his death. Then you can chase after him and footstool him at the bottom. ;)

Sorry if it's alot of ****. It's all pretty useful. Don't take percents I posted to an exact because it's been over a year since I've really really played the matchup. I did play J@sh at MLG and did most of this **** with ease. I know he has a little MK weakness though, so whatever. I may get some games in with J3rm this weekend, since imo he's been the hardest TL for MK I've played and been recently getting alot better. We'll see how I do.
Ahh, that helped a lot. Thanks a lot, Dojo =D

jpak

Smash Lord
@jpak - Press down + B together as you come around and your glide begins. It lets you land quickly and laglessly after your shuttle loop so it gives them maybe a quarter of second at most to react. Plus you can switch it up and keep gliding then cancel it so if they predict your landing in front of them they misssssss.
This has to be done relatively close to the ground for it to work right? Any other little things like this that can actually help a lot?

Thanks!

Orion*

Smash Researcher
This has to be done relatively close to the ground for it to work right? Any other little things like this that can actually help a lot?

Thanks!
no, once youre able to control the glide you can do this lmao

if its from an air shuttle loop its the same, difference is if its to high you have landing lag, so learn the height

crifer

Smash Lord
So. Should I learn the fox MU as MK, or should I just pick up pikachu as a secondary just for that matchup? Which is easier? (HERE'S LOOKING AT YOU CRIFER >:D)
pikachu would be easier, but MK has all tools to shut down fox,
try to read the fox and don´t get mindgamed into stupid stuff.

and there are like 4 fox players in germany, one of them is not playing on a regular base, one lives in berlin...
it´s pretty rare that you have to play a fox in germany.

Alzi

Smash Master
Dojo basically summed up how to play against toon link. You need to play aggressive IMO. But not aggressive in a dumb way a good spacey way.

I have one question:

Say you are hanging off the edge with metaknight how can you fast fall nair and up b and make it to the ledge still? M2K does it so quickly and whenever I try it MK never reaches the edge? Are you meant to do one jump once you fall with the nair then up b? Since that worked for me.

Top Bottom