• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Q&A Thread

Exdeath

Smash Master
Various points about the Pikachu match-up:

If Pikachu is trying to QAC (Quick Attack Cancel) you with his Up-B, SHNair. Your kill moves will also go through it, but the timing is much stricter.

Pikachu can Uair>foot stool in order to get his jab lock and/or chain grab at lower percents and his jab lock at higher percents. Both deal significant damage and give Pikachu the possible mindset advantage (affecting both players) at higher levels of play and strong momentum. Lower level players often suffer from what I like to call "Strong lead syndrome," where they will have a strong lead from a chain grab and go into auto-pilot, become aggressive, or both. Jab lock/reset can take your stock around 90% (possibly lower).

Pikachu's Fsmash out-ranges virtually everything that you have. It's a lot more laggy on block than on whiff. It goes through most of your moves.

In general, trying to wall out Pikachu on the ground is a bad idea. His Dtilt can compete with yours and has a better chance of tripping. He can hard read your ground moves with Fsmash or just jump away and B (which you can use as a tool to pressure him toward the ledge).

Pikachu can grab MK between for his Dthrow CG from ~0-57% and end it with Nair/Usmash/etc. The player I play with will occasionally mix-up the guaranteed Nair with Utilt>Uair>stuff and stutter-stepping an Fsmash (which will sweet spot if you air dodge into him). DI toward Pikachu and mash jump to foot stool him if he messes up his CG (even E$@M messes up the CG at times).

Anytime that you read a B from Pikachu, use B. It will eat Pikachu's B and catch him in his ending lag. If he doesn't use B, you can move back a bit and end B. Pikachu can only use B and Up-B to reach you. Most Pikachu players I have seen are often greedy and are easily beaten by buffering a spot dodge on the initial exchange.

Don't get greedy against Pikachu. His hard reads can really hurt. Don't be afraid to punish Pikachu's Down-B with a free tilt/Uair/etc. instead of a Dsmash or Fsmash.

Use B to add on free damage when Pikachu is on the ledge or returning to the ledge (e.g Side-B). It's a good idea to keep Dsmash fresh after 70% because it is an excellent pressure tool (Pikachu will be scared of it).

I'll add more later if I can remember to.

Ankyfdarkness

Smash Cadet
I generally don't like to play MK against my friends in friendly battles but I was wondering, what if I didn't use Mach Tornado?

Would MK be considered more "fair" then? How badley does MK rely on his nado to win matches? Without nado is MK the best character still?

I ask this question to anyone who has extensively used MK in tournaments and whatnot.

Haze~

Smash Journeyman
I generally don't like to play MK against my friends in friendly battles but I was wondering, what if I didn't use Mach Tornado?

Would MK be considered more "fair" then? How badley does MK rely on his nado to win matches? Without nado is MK the best character still?

I ask this question to anyone who has extensively used MK in tournaments and whatnot.
MK would grt ***** without his nado he would get ***** by characters like dk marth and many others would go even with him , there would be balance to the game , he would prob be outplaced as the best character in the game.

Player-4

See you in 25 years

I was hoping someone else would reply to this that knew what they were talking about, but then I see what the comment below yours said and I facepalmed.

Nado isn't even MK's best move, and I guess the game would be more fair if he didn't use it but Nado does not make or break MK. Good MKs don't need to rely on Nado to win, it's just an easy crutch to lean on when things get tough. Nado does cancel characters out like DK and D3 but you still don't need Nado to beat these characters.

Basically, Nado is really good, but it's overrated. People have figured out so much stuff to get around it, but that doesn't mean it's bad either. Sometimes It's an average move depending on the match up, then other times it's an amazing move depending on the match up.

tl;dr

Even without Nado, MK is still the best in the game

MK would grt ***** without his nado he would get ***** by characters like dk marth and many others would go even with him , there would be balance to the game , he would prob be outplaced as the best character in the game.
ROFL you have no idea what you're talking about

etecoon

Smash Hero
I could see a few different moves, yes nado included, as being candidates for MK's best attack

but MK would still be a rapist even without it

and if you're not willing to use him in friendlies just quit, you need practice to get better. you don't have to gay them really hard like you would in tournament, but if you don't ever actually play MK you're not going to understand how your attacks interact with other characters' and you're going to lose to stuff you shouldn't

Ankyfdarkness

Smash Cadet
What? I don't want to use MK in tournaments. I want to use him in toned down friend battles. (Without using nado to make him just a bit less "broken".) Against guys who aren't super competitive.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I generally don't like to play MK against my friends in friendly battles
typo?

anyway, MK is still amazing without tornado. he's a versatile character, he's not DDD where you can take away the grab and suddenly he's bad lol

the word "fair" should never be used however, there is always character inequality in any fighting game. even if MK should be banned, until he is that **** should never come up during games

Ankyfdarkness

Smash Cadet
I was hesitant to use him in friendly battles because everyone knows MK is the best. That and I felt like I wasn't really acomplishing much when I won.

etecoon

Smash Hero
everyone has different goals, if you want the accomplishment of winning with an underpowered character then yeah, MK probably isn't for you regardless of cutting any of his moves out of your repertoire

Ankyfdarkness

Smash Cadet
I use to play as MK a lot. For about the first year that Brawl was released I played as him almost exclusively. But after awhile anytime I won I felt like it wasn't earned.

You are right about fairness, though. I should just go ahead and use the nado if I battle with MK. No reason for me to cut out one of his moves. :)

Player-4

See you in 25 years
IMO there's no reason to really use MK unless you plan on using him in tourney, practice with your main so you can get better with him/her for tournaments (that is, if you attend them)

Player-4

See you in 25 years
How to get in on a campy lucas. I need info, NOW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N5Zu53rL_U

^Vid very related; he murdered me in the MM and now I'm going to be up against him in brackets in a moment.

How do I deal with PK fire spam?
What do I do to prevent getting dair->dtilt lock'd?
Lol wow, just wow.

I play with a Lucas all the time, since the beginning of Brawl.

PS his PK Fire, I didn't see that once. Running PS it and punish with Ftilt or grabs. Get in Lucas' face. He wants to zone you, so if you get in just rip him up with tilts.

Don't challenge Lucas' Dair, it's stupid and will beat almost everything to do. You can falling Uair it or get on the side and Fair/Bair it, but that's it. If you do get caught in Dair, try to tech roll the landing.

Stop playing so auto-pilot. You threw out so many random Fairs and Up-Bs just swinging at the air. Play patient and try to read your opponent, you played right into his game and lost because of it.

Also, if you get him off stage, let him recover if he's high, but if he's low chase him and Dair him plz, or at least grab the ledge and punish him when he goes for the stage.

One last thing, when you recover, glide back and glide attack his PK Thunder, sometimes you can follow up with a punish because his PKT has that much cool down.

NNID
Budget_Player
Lol wow, just wow.

I play with a Lucas all the time, since the beginning of Brawl.

PS his PK Fire, I didn't see that once. Running PS it and punish with Ftilt or grabs. Get in Lucas' face. He wants to zone you, so if you get in just rip him up with tilts.

Don't challenge Lucas' Dair, it's stupid and will beat almost everything to do. You can falling Uair it or get on the side and Fair/Bair it, but that's it. If you do get caught in Dair, try to tech roll the landing.

Stop playing so auto-pilot. You threw out so many random Fairs and Up-Bs just swinging at the air. Play patient and try to read your opponent, you played right into his game and lost because of it.
I'll try to keep this stuff in mind. Thanks. I'm very guilty of autopiloting... eh, I need to work on my ****. I've stalled for time slightly by asking him to wait until the TV my dazzle is hooked up to is free... Any further advice is really great.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
Read my edits, I added a few things.

If you get more vids of your tourney matches, I'll watch them and critique them some more

NNID
Budget_Player
Kay. I got a whole row of 'em going up on my channel, I'll put 'em in the critique thread when they're done uploading. Also, lost 2-1. ***** his lucas game 1, then game 2 he went ICs, a matchup where I don't only don't know it, I've literally never played against an ICs main... game 3 he just outplayed me with lucas again. :( Got all the vids, they'll be going up. :)

etecoon

Smash Hero
IC's is like literally make no attempt at actually fighting them, I just go in intending to time them out from the beginning. more advice when the vids are up lol

Player-4

See you in 25 years
IC's is like literally make no attempt at actually fighting them, I just go in intending to time them out from the beginning. more advice when the vids are up lol
Yeah this^

I played an ICs yesterday at a small tourney and was winning, then got grabbed.

If it was a large tourney I'd time him out fast but I just didn't feel like it for a 15 man deal

Kaffei

Smash Hero

If you can beat your friends just by spamming nado over and over then they obviously suck balls and don't know how to adapt or read.

How to get in on a campy lucas. I need info, NOW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N5Zu53rL_U

^Vid very related; he murdered me in the MM and now I'm going to be up against him in brackets in a moment.

How do I deal with PK fire spam?
What do I do to prevent getting dair->dtilt lock'd?
All you do is random up b and badly spaced fairs.
Try walking and power shielding or even regular shielding. pk fire has enough lag and MK's dash grab covers a lot of distance. Simply just walking and reading your opponent can do a lot.

3:28 charge fsmash next time if he whiffs that.
that lucas just does pk fire whenever he's far away and dashes towards you whenever you get hit. any time he approaches he will do a dair, and when he is cornered he will either roll like balls or spam SHAD. Any time you throw him, he will always air dodge. After you throw him all you have to do is stand there and use a move and you will punish him.
If you are both kinda high up in the air, he will try to space a fair

you always do glide attack after a GSL. for dair>dtilt lock tech the dair & stop getting hit by so many obvious dairs

Ravenlord

Smash Apprentice
Hey, I'm the Lucas player against whom Cadet played in the video he posted.

It's true that I was a bit campy, but I wanted to win, and why not do stuff and punishments that work? If I had noticed that Cadet suddenly changed his playstyle and adapted to mine, I would have changed mine, too. I also notice what mistakes I make and I am able to remove them within a few moments. It's just not true to say that I will always air dodge, D-Air, etc.
In this match, I got punished in hardly any occasion. So I kept doing it again and again.

l3lue2ain

Smash Journeyman
how do you guys practice this game? I hear people practice I can see practicing a tech maybe but what do you guys practice with metaknight ?

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Hey, I'm the Lucas player against whom Cadet played in the video he posted.

It's true that I was a bit campy, but I wanted to win, and why not do stuff and punishments that work? If I had noticed that Cadet suddenly changed his playstyle and adapted to mine, I would have changed mine, too. I also notice what mistakes I make and I am able to remove them within a few moments. It's just not true to say that I will always air dodge, D-Air, etc.
In this match, I got punished in hardly any occasion. So I kept doing it again and again.
I don't really care.
My point to BTC is that he needs to learn to read and adapt.

l3lue2ain said:
how do you guys practice this game? I hear people practice I can see practicing a tech maybe but what do you guys practice with metaknight ?
Spacing
Character control
Mind games
Mix ups
Gimmicks

etecoon

Smash Hero
BPC would win if he wasn't playing on an anti-competitive stage like final destination

only on norfair can true skill be decided

actually on a more serious note WHY was that game on FD lol, FD is most characters best stage vs MK, should always be striked

Albert.

Smash Master
ROFL n1gg@ why isn't your youtube channel in the comedy section cause dude this was hilarious

And yeah I'll critique but it'll be not nice

critique> Perfect shield>Dash grab

stay on the ground, walk around and swat him away when he gets too close

he jumps, you nado

he exists, you nado

The higher in percent he gets, the more you run away.

Be meaner

play gayer

Why do you keep dashing into the ****

uhh

Shield> a lot of his stuff, have you heard of it?

EDIT: watch m2k

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Wait...what did Albert do?

He made a joke post and you responded with STFU. Then he made a relatively legit post and you were still mad.

Mild posts get interpreted oddly. The internet is dumb. SWF should just be skype based.

Top Bottom