• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Q&A Thread

ViperGold42

Smash Lord
You guys need to chill a bit. He's just making a question. There's no need for the trolling/unnecesary answers.

Now onto the question...

Yes you can bro!

How do you do it? I'm thinking that you're referring to those Up-airs strings/combos in mid-air, right? You simply have to input:

U-Air>Jump>Upair. And so on. Moving to the direction that your opponent is going, such as left/right. You want to diagonally move your control stick, to the direction your opponent is going, so you don't accidentaly F-Air/B-Air.

I do it in two ways:

When the other person DI's well:

I simply jump (Thumb) and use my C stick to U-Air (thumb again) then I jump with Y (Thumb) again. Then repeat until I can/it's possible.

If they don't DI too well:

(I use tap jump ON). I jump with Y, then I move my control stick up, and mash A button. MK will automatically buffer every jump + U-Air as soon as possible. If you move the control stick diagonally to the left/right (while still holding up) you can move to those directions. Problem to this, is that if they're on low %'s, you will jump over them, because this is very fast.

Hopefully I answered your question! If you want to ask me something, feel free to do so over my thread:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=324039

See ya!

thanks for pointing that out in the upair strings. I do tend at times accidently hit a fair or bair. Now I'm starting to use SH-->Dair--->Fair which is my favorite Meta Knight combo and racks up combos easily. and for whatever reason these people are trolling for because I don't know this **** already.

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
thanks for pointing that out in the upair strings. I do tend at times accidently hit a fair or bair. Now I'm starting to use SH-->Dair--->Fair which is my favorite Meta Knight combo and racks up combos easily. and for whatever reason these people are trolling for because I don't know this **** already.
No problem. That is a very good mix up at low percents. You can also mix it up with D-Air D-Air too!

AlanHaTe

Smash Ace
I personally prefer tap jump off, and for some reason I can't Uair string using A...

I do it by jumping with X and hitting Up on the C-stick :p

Orion*

Smash Researcher
do most pro mk mains play with tap jump on? its very hard doing upair strings with it off.
i can do it with tap jump, Y+cstick or R+cstick

and since i turned tap jump off i just do what feels natural now
imo learning to claw it, or having a combination like y+r to jump is the best because you can di and uair at the same time.

iRJi

Smash Champion
It's preference honestly. I can easily just say that Anti plays with tap jump off. If you wanna practice Uair strings, use the middle of your thumb while pressing the jump button with the end of your finger. It's a easy slide, and you hardly have to move your thumb to do it.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
It's preference honestly. I can easily just say that Anti plays with tap jump off. If you wanna practice Uair strings, use the middle of your thumb while pressing the jump button with the end of your finger. It's a easy slide, and you hardly have to move your thumb to do it.
in the end preference is the deciding factor obviously, but in terms of the Best overall option you can not go as far horizontally doing that as you can clawing or jump/cstick

if you are comfy and content with the way you do something its fine, and thats how i was using tap jump the first 3 years of brawl. i was plenty technical, and could do what i wanted to. But when I decided to make the jump and switch my controls so that I could get the most I possibly could pre/post apex and put in the work to make it feel natural to me, the results showed, regardless of how small it was.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Its all about spacing. Hold down when you reach that platform and you will fall right through. The spacing is pretty lenient but you want to master it for smashville because if you hold down but dont get the right spacing, you will die.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzYinRq_-2A <---this is what you are talking about right?

Orion*

Smash Researcher
thank u much for the input.

@ orion what where some of the reasons why u decided to turn tap jump off?

:phone:
essentially so that i could shuttle loop without having to jump with 100% consistency while chasing an opponents DI.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=079XxOi9uOo

This tournament I was actually playing with standard controls and literally all of my jumps except for some more precise ledge options was done with tap jump

I hit a point where I was playing way to many characters that have high air mobility like marth and wario, and if they airdodged away even if i read it in some situations i couldn't punish it because of MKs poor air mobility.

I had learned to not tap jump and SL in a lot of situations, but in this case it still wasn't helping, because I couldnt fully di torwards an opponent and do it. It hit me at a certain point that I didn't want to lose because something simple could be abused vs me, and it has ALWAYS been something I wanted to do but figured since I was technically adept with my current controls why bother.

I had literally switched from standard controls, to x grab, adding z to attack, then L to jump, and then finally back to normal again. But I wanted to do good at apex so any little edge I could get helped. I changed my controls back to X grab, Z attack and L as jump adding with tap jump off, did poorly at some locals and just kept playing.

By the time apex hit the controls felt completely natural and I didnt have to think about the controls at all, so everything was worth it imo. Although after apex I still changed controls, and changed from having L jump and R as shield, to L shield and R as jump.

lmao
Right now I have been considering adding taunts as attacks/whatever just to break grabs faster but I like taunting a lot and already mash fast if im on point :/

It really depends on your outlook. If you are looking at long term wins, and you can put in the effort I think changing your controls for the better is a good decision. If doing poorly at some tournaments because you're trying to improve yourself rather than just get 1 or 2 number placings higher than you normally would will demotivate you then dont bother.

Ayce God

RIP Nova 9
hit them with it, when they go in the air keep juggling them lmao
smash is super DI dependent

np

if you're going to change it, then do it whole heartedly and play computers at least just 15 minutes a day. youll get used to it sooner than you think
yes, I've been suiciding like crazy bc I cant break the habit of pressing up on the joy stick. but I'm getting there. thanks man.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Can someone please tell me good ways to kill wolf? By the time im able to kill him, he's at such high %'s that nair and dair work.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
Can someone please tell me good ways to kill wolf? By the time im able to kill him, he's at such high %'s that nair and dair work.
i dont like dsmash that much in this mu, way to easy for wolf to just consistently punish with fsmash lmao.

Nair is a good kill move... idk how easy it is to land though. Tbh, wolf is a hard character to kill assuming perfect DI and recovery.

If you arent getting the kills offstage, you're probably gonna have to wait a while if you want to stay safe. UpBoos is really good, but wolfs horizontal air mobility with his sh airdodge make it baitable.

In short, its a rough life and you dont really have anything to guaranteed without a read.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Now that I think of it Wolf is pretty damn amazing. One of the best Fsmashes in the game. Like nothing is safe against his shield.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
I got a few questions
1. When should I torando?
2. When should I Shuttle Loop?
3. When should I Dair gimp?
a. when their shield is low

b. when you predict a move that nado outprioritizes

c. when you predict they will airdodge when juggling and you have no options that will catch them DI'ing away from you

d. (character specific) when you read a jump

e. (character specific) when they are on the ledge

grounded
a. oos as a punish
b. to setup for a glide
c. as a kill move
d. as an option select during juggles

air
a. with a read in a gimp or juggle setup
b. to recover
c. to setup for a glide
d. to punish airdodges

3. (character specific / situation specific)
a. when their offstage

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Another way to use GSL is to abuse invincibility frames, by avoiding certain projectyles (like Falco/Fox's lasers or Snakes grenades) and punishing through attacks with multiple hits.
Those are pretty specific and situational, and a wrong Shuttle Loop can be punished by most charaters (specially because pretty much everyone knows how to deal with MK).

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Given how the hitboxes are placed on N-Air, why don't Meta Knight players ever RAR N-Air? I started playing Meta Knight really recently, and I've noticed an improvement in damage at not-low percents as a result. It seems like an obvious decision to me when you're looking to N-Air as a punishment.

AtneyB

Smash Journeyman
Does someone know how to glide close to the edge without grabbing ?
I know how to do it while jumping but not during a glide...
This **** could be very useful

Myollnir

Smash Ace
Gonzalo ZeRo said:
1.- It's a very tricky thing to do. You have to glide down to gain momentum, then go up towards the ledge, when you're about to touch the ledge, you press down+ towards the stage, then as you're out out of the range of the ledge (range of grabbing it) you stop pressing down and keep going forward. If you did it correctly you will glide past the ledge. It requires practice to do this consistently.
Maintenant, go dans la salle du temps, t'as 1 semaine. :hap:

Jiom

Smash Journeyman
Given how the hitboxes are placed on N-Air, why don't Meta Knight players ever RAR N-Air? I started playing Meta Knight really recently, and I've noticed an improvement in damage at not-low percents as a result. It seems like an obvious decision to me when you're looking to N-Air as a punishment.
Mostly because people don't know the option exists. If they do know they probably never consider it, and because people don't consider it, that is why it works.

Top Bottom