• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Q&A Thread

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I use them depeding the situation. If I need to keep moving/jumping, I use the C-stick, if I need to buffer the attack, I usually use the A button.

Im the end, is all about knowing which move to use at what moment, and what do you feel is the most comfortable option to use for you.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Maybe I worded it wrong, I meant is about what option you think is the best at what moment.
Once again, it is all about which one you feel better with.

At this point, I'm not even sure what button I use at certain scenarios, I just know what move is the one I'm using.
Personally, as I have Tap Jump off, it's easier to me to use X+A during a string.

sGale

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sGaley
3DS FC
4484-8977-1421
Yeah, that's what I'm doing right now. However, it feels like I can't follow my opponents after two U-Airs. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong...

Kaffei

Smash Hero
I use them depeding the situation. If I need to keep moving/jumping, I use the C-stick, if I need to buffer the attack, I usually use the A button.

Im the end, is all about knowing which move to use at what moment, and what do you feel is the most comfortable option to use for you.
Idk how this makes sense since you can buffer with the C stick.
C stick is better imo espcially if you claw grip; you have so much more control.
but like you said it's really up to the player & whatever is most comfortable for them

Glacier, doing uair strings depends on the character. for example on falco you have to do jump >uair uair> jump uair uair >jump uair >jump uair because he's heavy
(try it on BF; put a CPU training mode afk falco on a platform and do a full hop jump, 2 uairs, jump > 2 uairs again, then jump uair jump uair)

But on someone like Olimar I have to do jump uair Jump uair uair jump uair jump uair. actually it might vary depending on if you hit with the tip of the hitbox or inside it but yeah.

just practice it in training mode it gets really super easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaRewCwel5I&feature=relmfu#t=10m55s

C.J.

Smash Master
He's being sarcastic as his way of saying:
Turn on your wii.
Go to training mode.
Practice
Keep practicing
Practice a little more
?????
Profit

C.J.

Smash Master
What do ou mean "how"?

You use uair, then uair, then jump uair, then jump uair, etc

Just follow DI?

It literally can't be simpler.

C.J.

Smash Master
Do you know what "buffering" means?

All buffering is, is doing a move in the ending 10 frames of a previous action. So you can't really buffer any of it? You can buffer the jump, but since mid-air jumps are 1 frame, you can't really buffer the aerial lol.

You're trying to make this too technical and complicated. Just go practice and do stuff until you get stuff right. Quit overthinking things.

ViperGold42

Smash Lord
Do you know what "buffering" means?

All buffering is, is doing a move in the ending 10 frames of a previous action. So you can't really buffer any of it? You can buffer the jump, but since mid-air jumps are 1 frame, you can't really buffer the aerial lol.

You're trying to make this too technical and complicated. Just go practice and do stuff until you get stuff right. Quit overthinking things.
then you should call Kaffei out for claiming you can.

C.J.

Smash Master
Or not? In his post, the part about buffering is separate from the part of the post about the uair strings.

Kyoko said that when he wants to buffer something, he uses the A button. Kaffei said that doesn't make sense since you can buffer w/ the c-stick as well (see: my previous post about what buffering is). He then talks more about clawing and that it doesn't matter as long as it works for you.
End of the first part.

The second, completely unrelated part, was about uair strings. It had nothing to do with the prior part of the post about buffering.

Just go to training mode and practice. Posting on SWF won't make you better, and things like this just require practice. It doesn't matter how well anybody explains something to you, it all requires you to practice it in order to get it. (I can explain, frame by frame, how to SC CG Marth as DDD, but you probably won't be able to just do it after reading it). Ally, M2K, Nairo, MikeHaze, Larry, etc etc didn't get to be gdlk using Q&A threads or w/e. They just practiced.

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
You guys need to chill a bit. He's just making a question. There's no need for the trolling/unnecesary answers.

Now onto the question...

so I can buffer Uairs with the c-stick to get those strings of uairs, how do I do that?
Yes you can bro!

How do you do it? I'm thinking that you're referring to those Up-airs strings/combos in mid-air, right? You simply have to input:

U-Air>Jump>Upair. And so on. Moving to the direction that your opponent is going, such as left/right. You want to diagonally move your control stick, to the direction your opponent is going, so you don't accidentaly F-Air/B-Air.

I do it in two ways:

When the other person DI's well:

I simply jump (Thumb) and use my C stick to U-Air (thumb again) then I jump with Y (Thumb) again. Then repeat until I can/it's possible.

If they don't DI too well:

(I use tap jump ON). I jump with Y, then I move my control stick up, and mash A button. MK will automatically buffer every jump + U-Air as soon as possible. If you move the control stick diagonally to the left/right (while still holding up) you can move to those directions. Problem to this, is that if they're on low %'s, you will jump over them, because this is very fast.

Hopefully I answered your question! If you want to ask me something, feel free to do so over my thread:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=324039

See ya!

C.J.

Smash Master
The first way you specified isn't buffering, Zero. All it is is doing the next input quickly. Since mid-air jumps are one frame, there's no way to actually buffer the second uair- it's just being input really quickly. I guess you could buffer the jumps out of the uair, but then you have no way to hitconfirm, follow DI as well, correct for fall speed, etc. Overall you really can't/shouldn't be buffering uair strings since they're so guaranteed that it is better to wait for the hitconfirm and follow from there.

The second way, since it involves your opponent doing nothing, I'll admit I didn't even think about. And yes, that way would definitely be buffering the jumps out of the uair. But like I said, that involves the other person not even trying to get out so it completely slipped my mind.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
When I watch youtube videos of tournament matches with meta knight, some mk players like to stay near the ledge and do 4 uairs (iirc) and get back to the ledge with down b. Is this important to know how to do? should i practice it?

C.J.

Smash Master
it's just a way of staying safe on the ledge. The uairs cover your hurtboxes and then the downB is just a way to get back to the ledge. Like with anything else, it can be beaten out if you get predictable. It's all just remaining safe and renewing invincibility effectively until you can find a way safely back onto the stage.

TSM ZeRo

The first way you specified isn't buffering, Zero. All it is is doing the next input quickly. Since mid-air jumps are one frame, there's no way to actually buffer the second uair- it's just being input really quickly. I guess you could buffer the jumps out of the uair, but then you have no way to hitconfirm, follow DI as well, correct for fall speed, etc. Overall you really can't/shouldn't be buffering uair strings since they're so guaranteed that it is better to wait for the hitconfirm and follow from there.

The second way, since it involves your opponent doing nothing, I'll admit I didn't even think about. And yes, that way would definitely be buffering the jumps out of the uair. But like I said, that involves the other person not even trying to get out so it completely slipped my mind.
Buffering is inputting a move as soon as possible, at the end of another move, to string them together. Right? Well, what I said, in essence, is buffering (Inputting a move ASAP).

I do that string against anyone who can't react well to MK combos. You can string very fast 2-3 U-Ais + N-Air, and they won't really react fast enough to DI, or you can get away with crazy stuff like N-Air to Upb. I simply do it to certain players, and not to others. I mentioned it, because it's a pretty awesome trick to do a U-Air string ASAP with little effort.

When I watch youtube videos of tournament matches with meta knight, some mk players like to stay near the ledge and do 4 uairs (iirc) and get back to the ledge with down b. Is this important to know how to do? should i practice it?
It's very, very important. Like CJ said, it covers your hurtboxes. This is called planking, and is a way to stall the timer, while trying to not get hit as MK. It's usually used in tournament matches. I highly suggest you that you practice it, since it's a really good tactic not only to time out people, but also to make comebacks.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Buffering is performing the button input BEFORE the move ends so it is done as soon as the previous move finishes.
If you perform the button input after that, you're just doing it fast, but not really buffering it.

And if someone can't react to 2 uairs, they have the reflexes of a stone.

TSM ZeRo

Buffering is performing the button input BEFORE the move ends so it is done as soon as the previous move finishes.
If you perform the button input after that, you're just doing it fast, but not really buffering it.

And if someone can't react to 2 uairs, they have the reflexes of a stone.
You just said, what I just said, with different words, haha.

Depends. It's pretty hard to DI on reaction properly unless it is specifically practiced.

TSM ZeRo

well I got my question answered, so how can I practice the upair strings KO? with what characters?
The ones that end with tornado? A great way to practice it, is to go to training mode with a CPU MK, and set it to Jump. After he jumps, U-Air him once/twice, then follow him all the way up, and then finish him off with a full tornado (Full as in, B as much as you can) for the star KO.

You can also do the same against the sandbag while you wait in that room of the wifi mode.

ViperGold42

Smash Lord
The ones that end with tornado? A great way to practice it, is to go to training mode with a CPU MK, and set it to Jump. After he jumps, U-Air him once/twice, then follow him all the way up, and then finish him off with a full tornado (Full as in, B as much as you can) for the star KO.

You can also do the same against the sandbag while you wait in that room of the wifi mode.
wow thank you so much. should I have tap jump on when doing this?

ViperGold42

Smash Lord
Personal preference. Simply do whatever you like the most. I personally play with tap jump due to my Melee habits, and the methods that I mentioned to you earlier.
for Meta Knight Tap Jump is on. I have 2 tags with the same name but 1 or two letters are capitalized. so is there anything else you can help me with my practice habits. I sometimes have a hard time killing at times with Up B and down smash. Nair I'm find with and the Gimp down air goes great. any other tips on what I should practice?

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
If you have problems killing with Dsmash and Shuttle Loop you probably stale them through the match, and they become less effective for kills.
Just try to use them less, and save them until the opponent is at high damage.

TSM ZeRo

for Meta Knight Tap Jump is on. I have 2 tags with the same name but 1 or two letters are capitalized. so is there anything else you can help me with my practice habits. I sometimes have a hard time killing at times with Up B and down smash. Nair I'm find with and the Gimp down air goes great. any other tips on what I should practice?

Sure, no problem! Here are some general tips:

• 1.- MK is all about the off stage kills. He is extremely good at knocking someone off with grabs, or Smashes, and then hunting them down off the stage. If they aren't dead with a Smash, make sure to chase them!

• 2.- You should never spam or overuse any of your kill moves, such as N-Air/D-Smash/Grounded Shuttle Loop. You should always pick one/two to rack up damage/punish, and use the remaining one to kill (I always N-Air/GSL all I want, and save the D-Smash for when they're really high to ensure the kill). Everyone (But Snake, D3 and DK) die to a fresh D-Smash at the 130/140% range,

• 3.- Practice your reaction time to punish things. If they hit your shield, make sure to always punish correctly. They're too close to you? N-Air/Grab Too far away, GSL/F-Air! Is he landing? Tornado his landing! Does he air dodge a lot? Up him after he finishes one! Does he like to attack you as he is landing? Ground upb him on his landing, or shield grab him! Do they like to come down with an aerial? U-Air them, and juggle them!

• 4.- Try to master the range of your moves. MK has a similar range to marth (a tiny bit shorter). Make sure that you're always landing your attacks correctly.

• 5.- Camp if needed! Don't be shy to D-Air (Full jump, then D-Air + Jump, and so on. Like in this video, watch closely how I D-Air Salem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej2XpeYR5sw ) camp your opponent if he's camping you hard, like Falco or Fox. Don't forget to plank him/scrooge him too! (Like in this match http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PWiTT5isNs).

Hope this helped!

Top Bottom