• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Q&A Thread

C.J.

Smash Master
His ATs are like... using SL so that it autocancels on platforms/the stage and using drill rush so that it ledge cancels.

That's about it.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Yea, while powerful when applies properly, his specials aren't so "special". You just need to know the cancels and have the tech skill to keep up with all of your own options.

C.J.

Smash Master
That last sentence pretty much. Just be technically accurate and think quickly enough to be able to play quickly (first time I played M2k I was overwhelmed by just how fast he played- it was insane) and make sure you don't do something you didn't want to do.

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
mk doesnt have any ats really, just has a lot ways to use certain moves in a lot of situations

practicing downb from the ledge to the low platform in battlefield is good to know
shuttleloop cancels on platforms are very useful especially on smashville and bf

dont sideb cancel cause that only works when i do it

ViperGold42

Smash Lord
mk doesnt have any ats really, just has a lot ways to use certain moves in a lot of situations

practicing downb from the ledge to the low platform in battlefield is good to know
shuttleloop cancels on platforms are very useful especially on smashville and bf

dont sideb cancel cause that only works when i do it
congrats on your finish at PS4, I was there but I was mostly on a laptop watching your matches and others.

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
Would you guys be interested in a pro Q/A about MK by me? Basically, a thread that I would make here at this board, and you guys would be able to make all the questions that you want about MK (Match ups, tricks, stages, anything!).

TSM ZeRo

iirc, this thread already covers that, except everyone can respond.
The main difference between both things is that people could send me a bunch of questions and I will 100% answer them with a complete answer. If you ask me something, I will answer it no matter what it is. Over here it's like "Hey, ask something and maybe get the answer". I could also add the answers of the questions to the main post so everyone can see them and settle their doubts about certain things of MK.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Well... I am not the one to say you can or you can't...
I summon P-4 in Defense Position!

ViperGold42

Smash Lord
Would you guys be interested in a pro Q/A about MK by me? Basically, a thread that I would make here at this board, and you guys would be able to make all the questions that you want about MK (Match ups, tricks, stages, anything!).
****ING finally someone doing what this thread is suppose to be doing, now what do I do to get out of Up B so quickly?

Player-4

See you in 25 years
Go for it. These boards needs some life ^_^

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I love grabbing when I use mk, but I always get too excited and grab at the wrong time and get punished for it. How do I know when the right time to grab is and what characters are bad at punishing missed grabs? Thankyou to anyone who answers.

TSM ZeRo

I love grabbing when I use mk, but I always get too excited and grab at the wrong time and get punished for it. How do I know when the right time to grab is and what characters are bad at punishing missed grabs? Thankyou to anyone who answers.
Grabbing should be done when:

You get your shield attacked and the opponent is at grab range.
Your opponent has an habit of shielding when you're close to him/in certain situations (He's at kill %, when you corner him, etc.).
Your opponent has an habit of running at you with shield (You dash grab those habits).

Characters who are bad at punishing grabs, are those who have slow close-quarter combat attacks. And pretty much every character in the game has atleast one attack to punish missed grabs (Generally a Tilt, or basic A combo attack). However, there are characters who are punish missed grabs much better than others, like GW/IC's/Olimar/Snake.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141

Your opponent has an habit of shielding when you're close to him/in certain situations (He's at kill %, when you corner him, etc.).
Your opponent has an habit of running at you with shield (You dash grab those habits).

Characters who are bad at punishing grabs, are those who have slow close-quarter combat attacks. And pretty much every character in the game has atleast one attack to punish missed grabs (Generally a Tilt, or basic A combo attack). However, there are characters who are punish missed grabs much better than others, like GW/IC's/Olimar/Snake.
Thankyou. I didnt know slow characters can punish missed grabs/

C.J.

Smash Master
****ING finally someone doing what this thread is suppose to be doing, now what do I do to get out of Up B so quickly?
As soon as you come out of the loop and the glide starts, you hit downB. B cancels the glide and you FF with down so you AC the landing.

Kaffei

Smash Hero

Your sig is the best ever

Joaco

Triforce of Wisdom
NNID
JoacoRyu8
When you SL a tornado sometimes it breaks and sometimes you get stuck in the nado, on what that depends on?

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
The timing of the Tornado Hitboxes.
If you hit them, you'll get stuck. If you hit between the, you'll snap opposing MK out of it.
It can also trade, but I'm not sure how that works.

Metakill

Smash Journeyman
Is SL OoS safe against all the multi hit? I mean, that invincible frame work against all of them?

And.. What attacks or stuff can be buffered after a SHFair?

AlanHaTe

Smash Ace
I think it does, because at the time the invincibility frames end, the hitbox appears, meaning you'll hit your oponent, so it should do...
the only thing I can think that could screw things up, would be if even after hitting your opponent the hit box remains there or something

and about the buffering thing I believe you can buffer whatever you want, you just need to know the exact timing of when to buffer it. Now if you mean to say what can be buffered that could be effective/safe/useful, it may depend on your position, stage, etc

Joaco

Triforce of Wisdom
NNID
JoacoRyu8
Invincibility starts on frame 5, if you're hit before gsl doesn't come out iirc

AlanHaTe

Smash Ace
that makes a lot of sense to me, and now that you mention it I remembered times when I got hit in a pathetic attempt to do a GSL, and nothing happened. I forgot to think about that :p

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
GROUNDED SHUTTLE LOOP
frame breakdown:
1-7 startup
5-8 invincibility frames
8-13 strong hitbox out
14-21
22-31 weak hitbox out

frame summary:
Hits on frame: 8
IASA frame: 32

If you're hit in the startup (1-4), it won't come out at all.
So, you can punish any multihit OOS as long as they have at least 4 frames between hits... Oh, and add shieldstun to the formula.

Basically, just test it in many situations, and/or watch videos.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Does anyone know how to get out of Marth's combo's? I tried dair, nair, up b, and it doesnt work.

Joaco

Triforce of Wisdom
NNID
JoacoRyu8
Does anyone know how to get out of Marth's combo's? I tried dair, nair, up b, and it doesnt work.
Like what? For real combos there's nothing you can do about, but for "semi-combos" you can DI out of them. Uair is out quickest option.

Shadow Blitz

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sectmk
What makes Lylat so good for MK? I often SD here when attempting to reverse shuttle loop on to the stage.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Don't try SL cancels on Lylat lol

I think is good because you can stay below the platforms and make opponents' aproaches hard to perform, and their height helps a lot when juggling (given MK's Uair speed).
Also, it can be bad for other characters as the tilting and ledge form can gimp them.

C.J.

Smash Master
While that may be true about platforms, it's not that different from BF. The important thing is the slants. Very few characters can actually fight efficiently on tilts/slants (MK/Marth being two of the most proficient at it). The slants often change the spacing needed for moves for them to land. Take the fact that most characters can't fight on slants well, add in MK's great ability to, and you have MK getting a huge boon from the stage.

For a very simple example to explain this:
Lylat is tilting to the left (left lower than the right) with MK being on the right. In order for anyone to come at MK, they have to approach from a downward angle, very similar to as if they were to approach you from the air. SL, Ftilt, and Nado all become amazing anti-approach tools since they're functioning as AA's as well as normal stuffing approaches.

Similar things happen when going the other way, since not many characters have AA's that are good enough on their own to function as ground stuffing options as well (Marth has Jab and Ftilt, most characters have... not a lot). MK then has this benefit and further aids to his dair camping since it exaggerates that same angle that makes MK's dair camping difficult to beat for many characters in the first place.

Agreed on people who aren't used to the stage have trouble recovering as is, MK's offstage exaggerates that problem as well.

Etc etc

Kaffei

Smash Hero
If you just spam attacks to break combos it'll just be very easy to continuously bait them and punish you
Mix up.
You can DI differently. You can air dodge. You can use your own aerials to break them. Jump away (you have 5) etc

Like the only true combos marth has on you is grab release > aerial/up B, fthrow >smash at 0%
I'm sure he has a couple more but yea

C.J.

Smash Master
Fair combos into DB at specific %s. GR->DB. Fthrowx2->usmash/fsmash. Dtilt combos into DB at specific %s and staleness.

What kaffei said though. Just mess with your DI and abuse your ability to jump.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
How do you fight characters with good projectiles with MK?
Examples: Snake, Samus, Link

Top Bottom