• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Q&A Thread

theunabletable

Smash Lord
Given how the hitboxes are placed on N-Air, why don't Meta Knight players ever RAR N-Air? I started playing Meta Knight really recently, and I've noticed an improvement in damage at not-low percents as a result. It seems like an obvious decision to me when you're looking to N-Air as a punishment.
I always hit with the back of nair when I know it's available. It's definitely a good option c:

ViperGold42

Smash Lord
How do I do the Upair Planking on the edge? Its hard for me to do because I always jump when I'm about the grab the edge, oh btw after playing UMvC3, my speed at buffering moves has gone up, able to perfect upair strings.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
@ reflex

mostly because I don't even think the option is explored, Nair is one of MKs better punish moves, but as far as approaching he has safer options most of the time without a hard read imo

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
When your high in the air vs zss, what is the best way to get back to the ground with out getting it? I played a zss on yoshi island and i never got back to the ground with out getting hit by something.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Try not to be predictable on your way back to the ground.
Get offstage, jump, glide, airdodge, even Dimensional Cape, you have many options. ZSS is very good at juggling, if you take the same options, you are most likely to get punished for them.
/two cents.

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
well you can punish it with a few things depending on his spacing.
You should move a lot to make it hard for him to space his fair. You can punish it really well with grounded SL. You should be able to sh fair him as well but I am not sure about this. if he only does 1 fair in a shorthop you could try to grab him as well. And if he spaced bad Nair is an option as well. But in general grounded SL is your best option but try to keep it a bit fresh.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
On reaction, is almost impossible to try to do something unless you make sure to stay slightly out of his range and punish a whiff with Ftilt/Dtilt/Dashattack/grab. As Goofy said, moving a lot to get him to misspace something could come in handy.

I wouldn't suggest SL, you never know if it would be important to keep it fresh, but it's an option, I guess.

Now, if he gets predictable with it, you can just Tornado before he performs it, you will eat it and get a lot of damage for a single read. That's how dumb Nado is.
Theorically if you predict it, you could also PS it and punish in many ways, but that's hard theorycraft and it's not reliable to attempt it.

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
I agree with anything above^
Forgot about nado.
you should try to read it and if you feel confortable try to bait it. I always try to bait marth to do his fair by walking in n him with shield. But watch out for the grab though.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
It depends on how the marth fairs

if he's doing late fairs, sh fair stuffs it easily, however rising fairs consistently will stuff yours. likewise, if you nado when you think he will jump you will stuff his fair, but if he late fairs he can counter or upB you on reaction.

Marth has more horizontal mobility and range than you in the air, so it's much easier for him to **** you up with movement at a higher level, however MK has more options at dynamic level. If marth wants to overcommit and reach to far to fair, grounded upB easily stuffs it (try to only do it when guaranteed though, it's nice to have a kill move, + marth Easily punishes it). If you watch vids of me or seibrik vs mr.r we both get ***** for upBing to much at not great times

You can also microspace if you're good enough and pressure with tilts after fairs. This will condition him to shield so later you can walk up and grab, or whatever.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
How do you beat/get past the ice climbers down b?
The Ic's I played took turns jumping with both ice climbers and made an ice wall.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
How do you beat/get past the ice climbers down b?
The Ic's I played took turns jumping with both ice climbers and made an ice wall.
I'd start by going high and Dairing/Nadoing one of them at the apex of their jump. (Nado will help to separate them pretty nicely, but you need to be careful about where your Nado is going to end as well, especially if you catch Nana and not Popo) You will have to watch for Uair, but once you start doing this, going high will give them reason to stop using blizzard and start doing other stuff. I see glide attack trade with blizzard sometimes too, but IDK how reliable that is.

:005:

sGale

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sGaley
3DS FC
4484-8977-1421
Does B-Air true combo into anything? I see MKs first-hit B-Air into D-Smash. Anything else?

AlanHaTe

Smash Ace
grab, Uair, Nair and footstool are the ones I've been able to do but it's character dependant apparently, but probably into anything, but I haven't tested it yet

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Is there a way to improve your tech skill with out going to training mode or playing cpu's for a very long time? My biggest problem right now is tech skill imo. When I play good players, I feel like my biggest problem is that they know how to do many more things than I do with their character and can do them constantly and faster. I try to play cpu's and go to training mode, but I get bored after 10-20 minutes.

AlanHaTe

Smash Ace
I think you need to know what you want to accomplish and just go for it. If you really want it you won't get bored and keep trying until you get it done.

You could try starting for 5min training mode for tech skil(like buffering stuff)l, then 5min vs CPU's and try to set-up some other things or the things you were training(if could master them already). And then doing the same for more time, but increasing the time slowly, like 5min then 7min then 10min, etc.

Try to get the feeling for the things so you won't depend on the image/screen of what/how MK is moving so you know when to do the input you want...

Hope this helps you, that's what I've been doing and has worked for me.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I think you need to know what you want to accomplish and just go for it. If you really want it you won't get bored and keep trying until you get it done.

You could try starting for 5min training mode for tech skil(like buffering stuff)l, then 5min vs CPU's and try to set-up some other things or the things you were training(if could master them already). And then doing the same for more time, but increasing the time slowly, like 5min then 7min then 10min, etc.

Try to get the feeling for the things so you won't depend on the image/screen of what/how MK is moving so you know when to do the input you want...

Hope this helps you, that's what I've been doing and has worked for me.
Thankyou.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
We should have our best player Heru explain this stuff to you. He constantly practices alone daily for like an hour or more. He has improved so much it's not even funny. I think he would be able to explain what kind of stuff do to, but he doesn't post around much.

Psychoace

Smash Champion
We should have our best player Heru explain this stuff to you. He constantly practices alone daily for like an hour or more. He has improved so much it's not even funny. I think he would be able to explain what kind of stuff do to, but he doesn't post around much.
I'd like to hear his methods for sure.

Heru

Smash Cadet
NNID
Herufin
I play at least two 99 stock matches against cpu every day, and usually before these matches I play a bit training mode to warm up. IMO it's fun so I don't get bored easily.

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
I also do that and I always put cpu on random so it's harder to get their habbits down. It's great for tech skill.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I have never played a cpu before for more than 30 stocks. I will try 99 but I don't think I can do it.

AtneyB

Smash Journeyman
99 stock match.
Against a cpu.
Twice a day.
Wow.

I wish I could be that devoted/rigorous/not lazy.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I wasn't able to do 99 stocks but I got the cpu down to 57 stocks. It made a big difference in how I played a few hours later. I felt like I had so many more options as metaknight. I did sd a few times, but I will practice more.

Twigz

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys I'm not particularly a fan of Meta Knight, but
a friend of mines plays him and would like to
know:
1) What too do in the pikachu and marth match up.
2) Safe approaches
3) How to properly execute the dash turn around Fsmash
4) and proper horizontal DI

Thanks in advance. :)

:phone:

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
1.chek the pro question and answere threat from Zero MU's are explained there really well.
2. Approaching always has to be unpredictable. You can dash in and shield but this can be grabbed. You can dash rag of dash attack but that's punishable. you can shorthop fair of shorthop dair but both if this can be punished. In short mix it up.
3.Dash then down on control stick buffer turnaround Fsmash. But it's easier to dash shield cancel C-staick other way.
4. hold your control stick up and left/right depending which side you have to DI in and mash ctick up+left/right depending on how you have to DI. Do not mah/hold those stick in the same Direction. but both up and 1 left the other one right. and use Uair to then if you aren't going to live maybe you could use SideB but this is almost worthless.

AtneyB

Smash Journeyman
Can someone briefly explain the MK Wario matchup ?
Also what should be strike/ban against him ?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Stay close to the ground and poke with low F-Air/U-Air and tilts. Moving backward is always an incredibly safe option.

Wario's best option to fight Meta Knight is his grab. Don't let him get into position for that if you can help it.

First and foremost, remember that he has to come to you. His ground game is mostly abysmal, and his aerial range doesn't compete with yours, so stay at sword's length.

Xyless

Smash Master
Hey MKs, I've got a question. When does his fsmash kill? Like, if MK had Mario against the ledge on FD and the move isn't stale, when about will it make him die horizontally?

AtneyB

Smash Journeyman
Stay close to the ground and poke with low F-Air/U-Air and tilts. Moving backward is always an incredibly safe option.

Wario's best option to fight Meta Knight is his grab. Don't let him get into position for that if you can help it.

First and foremost, remember that he has to come to you. His ground game is mostly abysmal, and his aerial range doesn't compete with yours, so stay at sword's length.
Thank you.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I remember when I played a high level wario on bf, I was shielding on the right platform, and he hit me with an aerial, and I slid off the platform and then he fsmashed me and I died. Is that a real kill set up?

Top Bottom