• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Q&A Thread

Rob_Gambino

Smash Lord
gimping him is the way to go. although thats hard to do, it sbetter then dsmashing him @ 200 -_-
What's the best technique to gimp him? Put him in good up-b range? Chain d-airs till he dies or is too horizontal to recover? My main problem is he up b-s really high before I get a chance to follow up with anything.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
What's the best technique to gimp him? Put him in good up-b range? Chain d-airs till he dies or is too horizontal to recover?
If he's above you, Shuttle Loop him out of his Cypher.

If he's below you, N-air is your best option. However a fresh D-air will also knock him out of his Cypher, along with Shuttle Loop (You will always hit the Cypher if done correctly, giving you the ability to recover).

My main problem is he up b-s really high before I get a chance to follow up with anything.
Harass him with U-airs.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Well, I haven't read the 25 pages preceding this, so I apologize if it's already been asked/common knowledge, but I've always wondered why isn't planking considered stalling?

I mean, if I understand it properly, isn't it just stalling in a ridiculously favorable position when you're up in stock/% to force your opponent into said favorable position? (I'm not trying to start a MK/planking/whatever is gay/overpowered/etc debate, I'm just genuinely curious.)

K 2

Smash Lord
If planking is doing up b to sweetspot the edge, then it can be defeated by simple speed hugging, which will grant you invincibility frames. Thereby, your opponent would fail to grab the edge and fall to his doom. This is very risky...especially with MK's Shuttle Loop.

Irow

Smash Ace
Planking is just letting go of the ledge and grabbing it again. Or any form of just gaying out your opponent by staying on the ledge.

If the opponent goes of the stage to try to stop it, there is a very high chance you can just **** his ****.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Right, but isn't the point of planking to stall in a favorable position (the edge) when you're in the lead as MK?

Dojo

Smash Champion
Yes. It's generally known as edge-stalling. Most people just use the term planking because Plank himself actually put it to good (or gay :p) use.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Sooo... following that logic.... why is it allowed in tourny played and not banned as stalling? (Sorry, I should have made it clearer that that was the original question.)

Dojo

Smash Champion
Like most other situations where a ban is arguable for a tactic/character/stage/whatever there's alot of controversy from both sides of the argument and nothing has been done yet.

Like for this situation. Is it really unbeatable? Even if it does give the advantage, does the person in the lead not allowed that right to that advantage seeing how they're winning already? And probably the most controversial... How long til it's considered stalling? 3 seconds? 5? What if he comes up and hits you and then goes back to the ledge? Stuff like this make it difficult for even the most intelligent posters to come to decisions.

Although, I do believe there is a thread in the Tournaments Discussion Boards regarding the banning of ledge stalling and all of that so you can check there for more info.

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
Any form of stalling is completely situational and if you believe the opponent is deliberately stalling then you should call the TO over to judge the situation and make a decision.

In fact, Smash tournaments really should have a judge staff...

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Oh all right, thanks!
(Is whether or not it's beatable an issue for stalling tactics, or just whether or not it's deliberately wasting time? I kind of look at this the way I did as a sports referee: if it's purposeful waste of time, it falls under stalling.)

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
What's the best technique to gimp him? Put him in good up-b range? Chain d-airs till he dies or is too horizontal to recover? My main problem is he up b-s really high before I get a chance to follow up with anything.
some thing i really dont see a lot of MKs doing is if he up bs so high that he goes off the screen, fly all the up as high as you can go, and than tornado.
when he is off screen, it will be hard for him to airdodge such a big hitbox, and if you damaged him enough to put him in that situation, even the average knockback from tornado should kill him.
the only thing he can really do is pull out a nade, and even then, the explosion will prebably kill him as well. its just that at that height it might kill you as well.
but that seems to be the best option

K 2

Smash Lord
Planking isn't really stalling (IDC, sonic's homing missle thing under the stage is) You opponent can easily run over to you while you are planking and grab the edge to edgehog you, or stage spike you with an aerial.

You also have to think about it from a different perspective. Take marth, for example. With his fast disjointed hitboxes, he can make it a nightmare for his opponent to return from the ledge back on to the stage. If marth spaces properly, he can cover: normal getup (with fsmash, ftilt), attackup (with counter, fsmash, ftilt), roll (with anything...), jump (with fair and nair), and most ledgehop aerial options, since marth's disjointed hitbox outprioritizes everything.

That's forcing the person on the ledge (who is already in a bad position) to return to the stage, but just letting your opponent to return to the stage wouldn't work either (this is a fighting game).

I can see arguments for both sides, but since this isn't some broken tactic that makes you invincible, it shouldn'd be banned. Yes, it puts you at an advantage, but that's the point of any game, to put yourself at an advantage and you opponent at a disadvantage.

MechaAshura

Smash Rookie
The one thing i don't understand, though is why people just keep mindleesly spamming the tornado, even for log recovery like this wide: [<-------o] } (}= border o=player <=land)

Lord Exor

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LordExor
3DS FC
0430-8460-0827
How many Meta Knights does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
LMAO inferno rage, hilarious

but yeah my debate is why would it be banned. im in the lead so i get to put myself in a favorable position

just like when falco gets a lead and runs away and lasers all match. or snake gets a lead and trades every hit with a grenade

its how the games

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Thanks for the info guys. I wasn't actually trying to argue one way or another, just trying to understand the reasoning behind it.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
it doesnt bother me because the average brawl newbie/scrub to player whos opinion i care about is 100:1

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
How does it feel knowing that 34/35 people here hate you?

~Fino

Well, since most of the people who do are noobs (at least in my personal case), you can just pull out different characters and show them there are MUCH gayer ways to lose *Cough* IC CG *Cough*.

Irow

Smash Ace
Snake beats out MK if he's playing really campy and is forcing you into getting tilted/grabbed from grenade and C4 pressure.

Oh yeah, and if he grabs you - A good Snake might be able to do around 30% each time. That's not good for MK, as he dies pretty early.

He hits hard and his moves can come out quick. MK has to work a lot harder for the kill than Snake does because he's so heavy.

Ownasaurus

Smash Journeyman
some thing i really dont see a lot of MKs doing is if he up bs so high that he goes off the screen, fly all the up as high as you can go, and than tornado.
when he is off screen, it will be hard for him to airdodge such a big hitbox, and if you damaged him enough to put him in that situation, even the average knockback from tornado should kill him.
the only thing he can really do is pull out a nade, and even then, the explosion will prebably kill him as well. its just that at that height it might kill you as well.
but that seems to be the best option
It seems like a good idea, but if you miss (and I've tried this and missed), it can easily turn into a free snake fsmash, or at least a ftilt/utilt.

I think if snake fast falls, he can airdodge through the entire tornado, but I havn't explicitly tested it.

And yes... I do post on these forums like once a year :p

pixelbind

Smash Cadet
counter attack against another mk that spams dash attack>down smash

I tried shield grabbing already... or just dodging backwards but its hard to attack back with the down smash in your face :(

Ownasaurus

Smash Journeyman
counter attack against another mk that spams dash attack>down smash

I tried shield grabbing already... or just dodging backwards but its hard to attack back with the down smash in your face :(
One good way is to shield the dash attack and continue to shield. If he down smashes and you shield it, you can score a free down smash of your own on him. Of course, if you keep shielding consistently, be careful as you will start to get grabbed instead.

K 2

Smash Lord
How does fair and bair differ? They look the same, they do the same damage, they are about the same speed, and they have roughly the same knockback...

Irow

Smash Ace
Fair is faster than Bair. The slashes in the fair also connect quicker, making it easier to land them all.

Bair will miss the last hit often enough, but it is a bit more powerful than the fair. It also has more range.

magikguy

Smash Lord
just wanted to say that MK dash grab is too good.
i was playing doubles and did the dash grab , took my opponent offstage while holding him while my team mate spiked him pretty epic tactic in doubles.

Deoxys

Smash Lord
Fair is faster than Bair. The slashes in the fair also connect quicker, making it easier to land them all.

Bair will miss the last hit often enough, but it is a bit more powerful than the fair. It also has more range.
Actually the damage is the same.

Edit: Oooh, you're talking about knockback, eh?

Top Bottom