• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Officially Banned!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You know what's also stalling? Holding someone in a grab for a bit then throwing them.

Different definitions of stalling, and that's why it's ******** to say stalling should always be banned, since it's only broken stalling that should be banned.
And that broken stalling falls under other ban criteria anyway.
Like I said before, I don't like stalling in general. That said, I don't think it should be banned unless broken. I was more or less agreeing with you earlier point about that.

I was not saying all stalling should be banned, and even if I did, I saw the error of my ways already. Thanks for pointing that out.

Kirby is GOD

Smash Rookie
You know, Meta Knight doesn't even deserve the position. I fought a lvl 9 Meta Knight with Sonic and the fight was balanced

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
You know what's also stalling? Holding someone in a grab for a bit then throwing them.

Different definitions of stalling, and that's why it's ******** to say stalling should always be banned, since it's only broken stalling that should be banned.
Would you like a prize Captain Obvious?
Not to be mean but you're pretty much just going to force me to re-iterate what I said earlier.

It depends upon the context of the argument being made.

In this case, judging by the examples I provided, it is obvious that holding the opponent for sometime before throwing them would not be considered stalling.

Grabbing a Wario with Sonic at the edge of the stage and grab releasing him constantly would be considered stalling as Wario cannot escape it.

Let's not go into cyclical arguments just for the sake of arguing.
Forgive me for not wanting to respond to someone who thinks I have down syndrome.

Look at it this way, if I cut off M2K's hands then I would beat him in Brawl. Do I know more about the game than M2K?
Play to win man!

zmx

Smash Lord
the scary part is i'm willing to bet that guy was actually serious with his post on metaknight...
He was posting the same way in the tier topic.

He's either just completely clueless or somebody's troll alt. Personally I think it's the former.

zmx

Smash Lord
He is

the most

obvious troll

ever

omg
You'd be surprised. I used to think every ludicrous statement ever made was an "obvious troll" but a lot of people legitimately believe a lot of ridiculous stuff. Don't underestimate ignorance.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Would you like a prize Captain Obvious?
Not to be mean but you're pretty much just going to force me to re-iterate what I said earlier.
Re-iterating yourself doesn't make your argument right.
It depends upon the context of the argument being made.
Not really, words are words.
In this case, judging by the examples I provided, it is obvious that holding the opponent for sometime before throwing them would not be considered stalling.
What would you consider it then? Delaying? Which has the same meaning as stalling?
Grabbing a Wario with Sonic at the edge of the stage and grab releasing him constantly would be considered stalling as Wario cannot escape it.
Of course.
Play to win man!
>.>

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Re-iterating yourself doesn't make your argument right.
Not saying I am right, but I am saying that the context is what matters which is right.
Not really, words are words.
Words are simply symbols giving meaning according what we give them.
It is easy to take what someone says out of context and assign and entirely different definition to their statement.

This is the case with stalling, because it is dependant upon the context in which we discuss it.
It would be impossible to account for every single different type of situation which may be considered stalling. It is why the context is important, otherwise we would go in circles all day simply over what stalling is considered.
What would you consider it then? Delaying? Which has the same meaning as stalling?
According to your view of stalling perhaps, but this is not the case with my view as to what constitutes as stalling.
Why we are even considering this discussion is beyond me.
Dead serious.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Not saying I am right, but I am saying that the context is what matters which is right.

Words are simply symbols giving meaning according what we give them.
It is easy to take what someone says out of context and assign and entirely different definition to their statement.

This is the case with stalling, because it is dependant upon the context in which we discuss it.
It would be impossible to account for every single different type of situation which may be considered stalling. It is why the context is important, otherwise we would go in circles all day simply over what stalling is considered.
Which is why the stalling rule is bad and unnecessary, since people interpret it differently and everyone has a different idea of what constitutes stalling.
It's also redundant, as anything that constitutes broken stalling, is broken anyway.

According to your view of stalling perhaps, but this is not the case with my view as to what constitutes as stalling.
Why we are even considering this discussion is beyond me.
No, it is stalling, I can even bring up a definition for you "Stalling: To delay, obstruct, or block the progress of (something)"
And again, different interpretations is exactly the reason that the stalling rule is terrible...

Edit: This should probably be in the Unity ruleset thread, oh well.

NNID
Budget_Player
Likewise, besides that, let's remove every single rule meant to keep him in place. What will happen? He'll win more often. He has a different lgl because he's the abuser of it. That's another rule made specifically for him. Well, he has a variation of the rule. Why does no one else have this? Because he abuses it. Thus, he's the one causing the current problem, nobody else.
Actually, before the most recent change, most tournaments did not have separated limits for different characters. In any case, I don't really see the point of ensuring that the rest of the cast has twice the ledge grabs that MK has; it doesn't matter because nobody else really needs that many. It's a pointless rule that is pretty darn unnecessary, and arguing that MK deserves to be banned because he gets a somewhat different lgl than everyone else is just stupid.

If you hadn't noticed, nobody has special rules. Nobody.
Edited for accuracy.

He breaks stuff under our current ruleset.
No, he doesn't. There are a bunch of top players who use him. He is not broken by any stretch of the imagination, beyond perhaps on Brinstar.

We can't hack the game for major tourneys, due to the Nintendo's EULA actually stating that hacking their system is illegal. So that's out.
Actually, Ninty can't legally go after you for hacking your system. In fact, there's a fairly landmark court case (IIRC it's Nintendo vs. the guys who made Game Genie) that establishes that you are within your rights to hack your system. Nintendo can, as far as I know however, brick your wii and void your warrantee, so...

Now, as I read the current Unity Ruleset... there's 2 Ledge Grab Limits specifically made for him. There's also his stalling tactic banned. Remove the Ledge Grab Limits, and he's going to wreak havoc, which he already does anyway.
Guess what: Now he's banned and the LGL is sticking around. Gee, I wonder what that means.

LGLs are not for MK alone, they were only for a fairly short time for MK alone, and when we did remove LGLs for other characters, we saw the results, didn't we? :glare:

You'd be surprised. I used to think every ludicrous statement ever made was an "obvious troll" but a lot of people legitimately believe a lot of ridiculous stuff. Don't underestimate ignorance.
Poe's law.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Actually, before the most recent change, most tournaments did not have separated limits for different characters. In any case, I don't really see the point of ensuring that the rest of the cast has twice the ledge grabs that MK has; it doesn't matter because nobody else really needs that many. It's a pointless rule that is pretty darn unnecessary, and arguing that MK deserves to be banned because he gets a somewhat different lgl than everyone else is just stupid.
So is editing a rule strictly for him. And then that just says that he's only one that needs it. That's saying something.

Edited for accuracy.
You mean because you can't have URC tournaments with special MK Rules? Oh, wait, yeah you can. Don't change what's correct. He still has a special LGL, regardless of what you say. Until the LGL stops existing, it's special for him. This is actual fact right now.

No, he doesn't. There are a bunch of top players who use him. He is not broken by any stretch of the imagination, beyond perhaps on Brinstar.
We both know he dominates the entire cast and has no weaknesses. Yes, it may be because of how we play him, but that's how we play him, and he is bannable under our current rules.

Actually, Ninty can't legally go after you for hacking your system. In fact, there's a fairly landmark court case (IIRC it's Nintendo vs. the guys who made Game Genie) that establishes that you are within your rights to hack your system. Nintendo can, as far as I know however, brick your wii and void your warrantee, so...
That's for the older systems. They changed the EULA for the Wii. It's currently illegal to hack it. There's also no legal cheat device system, as we have to hack the system or the SD cards directly. It's still illegal to hack the Wii. That's why we don't have those tournaments mainstream, as they can shut it down under their EULA. That's not good for business.

Guess what: Now he's banned and the LGL is sticking around. Gee, I wonder what that means.
It means that they haven't gotten rid of the horrible rule yet. It doesn't really affect anyone, because as you said, they don't need it.

LGLs are not for MK alone, they were only for a fairly short time for MK alone, and when we did remove LGLs for other characters, we saw the results, didn't we? :glare:
And yet he's the only one that heavily pushes it. Nobody else abuses it like he can. So he's indeed a problem under our rules. So he's banned under our rules. Simple as that.

Judo777

Smash Master

Not necessarily. You could be waiting to see if they are mashing and try for an air release, or you might be trying to figure out which throw you should use. Or you might be waiting for some stage transformation (or perhaps ghost platform, or the SV platform or hell even the balloon) so you really can't make this claim.......

C.J.

Smash Master
Well, according to his definition, waiting for SV/stage change/etc would still be considered stalling since you are still "delaying the game." Even though you are waiting for something specific to happen, his point is that you are waiting. Since you are waiting, you are delaying the game. And delaying the game is stalling.

His big picture point though is that stalling shouldn't be banned. Broken stalling should be. So stalling in the sense of waiting to throw someone is perfectly acceptable.

Judo777

Smash Master
Well, according to his definition, waiting for SV/stage change/etc would still be considered stalling since you are still "delaying the game." Even though you are waiting for something specific to happen, his point is that you are waiting. Since you are waiting, you are delaying the game. And delaying the game is stalling.

His big picture point though is that stalling shouldn't be banned. Broken stalling should be. So stalling in the sense of waiting to throw someone is perfectly acceptable.
What!? Waiting is not stalling? How do you even define waiting? Not doing something? Cause that's just stupid. Where do you even draw the line on that, if I grab him and don't throw him frame perfect am I stalling?

C.J.

Smash Master
His point is that there is no line (unless I'm misinterpreting it completely, but I don't think I am).

Again, he's saying stalling isn't a bad thing so it doesn't matter is not throwing someone immediately is stalling because that is acceptable stalling.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
I just noticed you can click the MKs on the front page if they happen to pass by your mouse.

They lead to this page.

Edit: Owait, they're gone. -___-;

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
i was the first to find metavamp and im his only friend

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's not curable but with the right meds and a healthy lifestyle you can live a long and fulfilling life!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom