• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MELEE-FC10R Legacy...is done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Why? IS THIS RUNNING SUNDAY TO TUESDAY!?!?! :O

:phone:
Agreed that it is not the best thing in the world, but it makes thousands of dollars of difference in venue and hotel costs, both to us, and additionally to you all. FC has always been Thursday-Saturday. We just shifted it to the other side of the weekend.
reason why its sun -> tues^

KishSquared

Smash Master
reason why its sun -> tues^
We've also made the point that every iteration of FC has been Thurs-Sat, so Sun-Tues is really no different from a weekend perspective. Somehow it's throwing everyone for a loop.

Oh well. Never let it be said that the Ship abides by the status quo!

PEEF!

Smash Hero
We've also made the point that every iteration of FC has been Thurs-Sat, so Sun-Tues is really no different from a weekend perspective. Somehow it's throwing everyone for a loop.

Oh well. Never let it be said that the Ship abides by the status quo!
Well the difference is that with Thurs-Sat, you can sleep in sunday morning and travel back comfortably sunday while having only missed 2 weekdays. With Sun-Tues, many if not most players will lose most of Wednesday travelling as well, so it becomes harder to get off work/school, etc. Since players usually first arrive at the venue/housing late the night before or the morning of the tourney, having the first tourney day as a weekday still let most people only have to take 2 weekdays off.

I'm fine with it, but I think this might be underlying some peoples concerns.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
Well the difference is that with Thurs-Sat, you can sleep in sunday morning and travel back comfortably sunday while having only missed 2 weekdays. With Sun-Tues, many if not most players will lose most of Wednesday travelling as well, so it becomes harder to get off work/school, etc. Since players usually first arrive at the venue/housing late the night before or the morning of the tourney, having the first tourney day as a weekday still let most people only have to take 2 weekdays off.

I'm fine with it, but I think this might be underlying some peoples concerns.
I think there's a better chance the tournament ends earlier on Tuesday than starts later on Sunday...it'll start early on Sunday for certain. So theoretically, Wednesday should be as necessary of a travel day in the former scenario as it is in the latter.

But obviously it's weird for people so maybe theory falls short. Guess we'll see!

LLDL

Smash Hero
73 pages in a week, location and rules not even announced yet!

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
I like Sun-Tues

That means I can show up on Friday or whatever and have 2 full days of smashfests until the actual tournament lol

Fri-Tues five day smash bonanza? sounds good to me. :)

PEEF!

Smash Hero
I think there's a better chance the tournament ends earlier on Tuesday than starts later on Sunday...it'll start early on Sunday for certain. So theoretically, Wednesday should be as necessary of a travel day in the former scenario as it is in the latter.

But obviously it's weird for people so maybe theory falls short. Guess we'll see!
I might as well take the time to figure this out lol.

Assuming a significant (6 hour?) travel time, the time lost is this:

Thurs-Sat: One evening arriving(Wed night), two full work/schooldays playing (Thurs+Fri) one full weekend day (Sat) and the daylight another weekend day (Sun). Thats only 2 work/schooldays.

Sun-Tues: The arrivals are over the weekend, so it is One evening arriving (Sat), One weekend day (Sun) two full work/schooldays playing(Mon+Tues) AND the relevant portion of another work/schoolday (Wednesday) to travel back. That is 3 days of work/school missed.

Add to this the fact that Friday is the most likely day to have off from school, and Thurs-Sat really is preferable because you miss only 2 regular work/school days at most and for many it'd be just one. For Sun-Tues, it is 3 missed, and it is much more unlikely that students would have one of Mon-Wed off.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
Just leave Tuesday night...

lol

The advantage of Sun-Tue (other than the lowered venue fee) is that Fri and Saturday are completely open.

Someone could even host a smaller, pre-FC Saturday tournament!

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Just leave Tuesday night...

lol

The advantage of Sun-Tue (other than the lowered venue fee) is that Fri and Saturday are completely open.

Someone could even host a smaller, pre-FC Saturday tournament!
Yeah that's true. It all depends on what ya value most!

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I might as well take the time to figure this out lol.

Assuming a significant (6 hour?) travel time, the time lost is this:

Thurs-Sat: One evening arriving(Wed night), two full work/schooldays playing (Thurs+Fri) one full weekend day (Sat) and the daylight another weekend day (Sun). Thats only 2 work/schooldays.

Sun-Tues: The arrivals are over the weekend, so it is One evening arriving (Sat), One weekend day (Sun) two full work/schooldays playing(Mon+Tues) AND the relevant portion of another work/schoolday (Wednesday) to travel back. That is 3 days of work/school missed.

Add to this the fact that Friday is the most likely day to have off from school, and Thurs-Sat really is preferable because you miss only 2 regular work/school days at most and for many it'd be just one. For Sun-Tues, it is 3 missed, and it is much more unlikely that students would have one of Mon-Wed off.
you lose just as many days in both... In the first, you are traveling wed and play thurs fri. In the second you are playing mon tue and traveling wed. I don't see the difference.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
The difference is you're traveling Wednesday evening for the Thurs-Sat tourney, and you're traveling Wednesday morning/afternoon for the Sun-Tues tourney. Most people have class/work between 8am-6pm, so traveling Wednesday evening would obviously be preferable.

However, Kish already said the tourney won't go too late into the night (edit: or will it?) on Tuesday, so hopefully people can use that time to travel so they don't have to take three days off class/work.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
Wait wait wait I didn't say that. I said that there's a BETTER CHANCE that it'll end earlier on Tuesday than start later on Sunday.

That said, yeah, we're not going to run till midnight on Tuesday. Whether it's noon, 3, 6, or 9 PM, not sure yet until we start finalizing a few more details.

Still planning on getting more info up on Friday, though it'll trickle out. A lot in the works right now.

KishSquared

Smash Master
The only people that didn't travel all day Wednesday were Midwesterners. Anyone traveling from out-of-region won't notice a difference.

However, so far this is going as planned. History says it's like this:

1. The Ship announces something janky
2. Everyone goes "WHA?"
3. Three months later, everyone starts doing it that way

BIG C

Smash Master
In theory almost everyone in the tourny can start traveling tuesday morning if they wanted to. If planned and executed as well as the last FCs were pretty much the only thing left to do on the 3rd day will possibly be a round of pools and the final bracket.

So in theory the last 32(or w/e) men in the tournament are the only ones stuck there.

not saying

just super saiyan.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
*shrug* i know my college starts this monday. i'm sure plenty of people in the south like myself would rather a thurs-saturday, as school starting on monday would not be interrupted.

however, i'll probably come either way; missing first days isn't a particularly big deal.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
This thread is on page 19. I don't know what you guys are talking about.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Does anyone know if camper bob is still alive?

I haven't heard from him in forever.

crescentia

Smash Journeyman
well, I missed out on all the FC's while I was going to college in the Midwest

might as well come to this one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom