• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Back Room Reopening

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
My post was in reference to the fact that you seem to have some flawed idea that would lead you to believe that Pictochat is bannable and that Brawl players don't ban enough, and your title would imply that you have hosted tournaments to that effect. And that makes me sad.
"I've been trolling you for the last 3 or 4 quotes. Haha I can't believe you're still reading these! <Insert next troll sentence>"

and rat, i know there are a lot of really good posters in the site that arent in the MBR. But there are a LOOOOOOOOT of really BAD posters that aren't in the MBR.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
I just want to point out that any of the threads in the MBR could simply be rethought of and posted in the Melee Discussion. It's not like the thread would be closed if one thread in the MBR was practically identical to the one in Melee Discussion. It happens quite a few times as there really is so much you can actually discuss and change.

What DOES happen, is eventually most of these topics in Melee Discussion become flame wars then closed. Which is sort of why I think there is an MBR in the first place.

It's not that it doesn't get heated in the MBR over some issues but at least it has a much higher rate of staying on topic.

So in short, if you think there is something worth discussing, you can just make a thread about it. I don't see how that's a big issue.

LAX_

Smash Apprentice
it's just nice to know whats going on in the MBR.
i can see how it could lead to massive clutter in the melee discussion board since if someone doesn't agree with it they would immediately make a whole new thread about it (which is stupid since the MBR would provide reason after the conclusion). but like someone else said earlier, these threads would be ten times better than the threads in there now, such as is claw grip necessary, is tech skill unhealthy, melee cures diseases, etc., and there are other threads which could EASILY be pushed into the question and answer thread.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
My post was in reference to the fact that you seem to have some flawed idea that would lead you to believe that Pictochat is bannable and that Brawl players don't ban enough, and your title would imply that you have hosted tournaments to that effect. And that makes me sad.
No, I haven't actually hosted a brawl tourney since april of last year. I play melee, hence why I am discussing the MBR. I have read the whole arguement for and against pictochat, and I happen to think it shouldn't be tournament legal. If that was a melee stage, there's no way in hell it would be tournament legal. I tried playing brawl again and found that a lot of stages that I felt had problems were made legal. Ie pokemon stadium. Which I happen to hate in brawl.

But, that being said, I don't see why my opinions about brawl matters when I'm clearly a melee player.

Also, sveet, which one of us are you implying is the troll XD

D

Deleted member

I keep the regular MBR private so you guys can't see who we're making fun of at any given time (and there's a lot of people).

john!

Smash Hero
I like the idea of just showing the thread titles. We can get an idea of what's going on in there without nitpicking at every single post. I think that's what people really want.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
I like the idea of just showing the thread titles. We can get an idea of what's going on in there without nitpicking at every single post. I think that's what people really want.
Then they could just make a thread called:

"How to 4 stock all top and high tiers with Pichu"

to eff with us.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
**** you guys. If you voted for this I hate you.

Ugh, the back room is such a terrible idea.
If you stage strike FoD, and ban FoD Jiano that pretty much keeps you clear of FoD and then you have every other stage that isn't a HUGE KDJ FLASHBACK for you.

The only thing this really prevents is Pokemon Stadium being a starter stage, which as long as stage striking is allowed I'm sure no one would have an issue if you actually both wanted to start the set on that stage. It was just a matter of having a certain number of stages for the stage strike.

If the tournament ISN'T doing stage striking I can see this being more of an issue.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Similarly, the number of tourney legal stages in brawl have been increasing over time, and therefore people saying brawl players are ban happy are idiots.
Sadly, not true. Norfair isn't really legal anymore, PS2 is sometimes not allowed, and Pictochat is banned in Atlantic North.

Anyway, why all the hate on Mute City?

DippnDots

Feral Youth
I don't see the problem with poke, sure, the rotations aren't balanced, but spacies do well enough on neutrals / cps that PS getting "randomed" isn't a devestating hit to your chances of winning. By removing PS it's giving an unnecessary buff to sheiks overall chances (specific character hate). I guess i'm just skeptical to the thought of potentially having to use my counterpick on a stage that I was glad came up against certain characters but wouldn't necessarily use as my counterpick.

Basically what I'm getting at is, PS doesn't have enough strength in a match up to constitute it being a counter pick stage, but at the same time I can understand it not being balanced enough to be considered a neutral stage.

Stages on the fence yo.

Signia

Smash Lord
What people aren't seeing is that with stage striking, every stage is a counterpick... except the ones you and your opponent think are the "most neutral."

tubes

Smash Ace
I can't complain about the stage list but Brinstar sounds like a funny stage to play teams on. In fact, I want to play teams friendlies on that stage as soon as possible. It looks crazy as **** in my head.

LAX_

Smash Apprentice
I don't see the problem with poke, sure, the rotations aren't balanced, but spacies do well enough on neutrals / cps that PS getting "randomed" isn't a devestating hit to your chances of winning. By removing PS it's giving an unnecessary buff to sheiks overall chances (specific character hate). I guess i'm just skeptical to the thought of potentially having to use my counterpick on a stage that I was glad came up against certain characters but wouldn't necessarily use as my counterpick.

Basically what I'm getting at is, PS doesn't have enough strength in a match up to constitute it being a counter pick stage, but at the same time I can understand it not being balanced enough to be considered a neutral stage.

Stages on the fence yo.
basically what i think too, but it's all good since the only tournament that runs this way is Pound 4, and it uses stage striking which basically means that the game is played on the most neutral stage that you and your opp think and that every other stage is a counterpick.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
ATTENTION EVERYONE

the back room doesnt actually dictate anything

host tournaments with whatever rules you want, you dont have to do anything the back room says

its just a website you cant even see

so dont worry about whether youre allowed in or not

Big_R

Smash Champion
ATTENTION EVERYONE

host tournaments with whatever rules you want, you dont have to do anything the back room says

QFT plus anything bigd says is law

also the backroom doesnt even let the best ppl in anymore

its not legit

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
ATTENTION EVERYONE

I was worried about not being allowed in until this post, but now I'm over it.

BigD, I was once on a bolt bus and my driver said his name was BigD and so I just gotta ask... are you now an enormous black dude with 3 foot long dreads who is employed by greyhound to drive bolt buses from DC to NY?

Also, your apostrophe key appears to be broken, you should get that checked out.

D

Deleted member

what do you mean actually? the MBR never dictated anything in the first place. we just say stuff as a group and you can do whatever you want with it.

D20

Smash Lord
also the backroom doesnt even let the best ppl in anymore

its not legit
Well, I happen to agree with the BackRoom NOT allowing the best players to participate. My understanding of the BackRoom is that it one of its jobs is to recommend a standard set of rules. If the very best players are making the rules, they could potentially tailor the rules (consciously or subconsciously) to their advantage. Where these players are concerned... money is concerned. Even if these players are entirely honest, it could make many people suspect of the BackRoom.

However, I think it MIGHT be reasonable to allow such players to post in the BackRoom, provided they are not allowed to vote themselves on issues. Regardless, I would like the community at large to be a bit more informed on what goes on in the BackRoom.

PS - BigD is awesome.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
reposting (again)

Even though I dislike Pokemon Stadium, I don't see why it was placed on the CP list over the other neutrals. I thought Pokemon Stadium was considered one of the more neutral stages because it was one of the few stages allowed in crews.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
mow im just telling people not to fret about some unknown force telling them stage lists and rules without them being able to do anything about it

so youre preaching to the choir, im well aware of the fact that i dont have to listen to you guys

and mogwai: yes and yes

pockyD

Smash Legend
reposting (again)

Even though I dislike Pokemon Stadium, I don't see why it was placed on the CP list over the other neutrals. I thought Pokemon Stadium was considered one of the more neutral stages because it was one of the few stages allowed in crews.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
the logic is backwards, and it's outdated anyway

St. Viers

Smash Champion
BBQ--it's been mentioned before: they recommend using stage strikes to pick the first stage, rather than random. You need an odd number of stages, so it was either getting rid of PS (the obviously least neutral), or adding a new stage (DK64, iirc)

PEEF!

Smash Hero
The MBR wants to be secret until they make a decision for the same reasons as the Supreme Court. Look it up.

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
Why is there even a need for the backroom anyway? To keep discussions out of the public eye? I see no reason to even keep the backroom around...
It's a forum, if you don't want anyone to see what you post, don't ****ing post. There is no reason to keep "recommended rule" or "stage list" discussions away from the community....NONE

Top Bottom