• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Back Room Reopening

HawaiianJigglyPuff

Smash Ace
I'm still having trouble understanding why DK64 is CP
Yeah, do you mean as opposed to neutral or as opposed to banned?

If you mean as opposed to neutral, well, we've been down that road and I don't think the community really liked it. I know that tournaments I went to didn't have DK64 as a neutral. (Though we didn't stage strike...hmm...my point there is invalid...oh well)

If you mean it should be banned, I ask why? No random things that come in and destroy you. It has ledges. No random events at all for that matter. There's no way you can argue that the platforms in the middle are worse than FoD. The uneven bottom platform doesn't really accect anything.
It's a big stage...ok...
Peach I guess can hover above and just run away. But I'd need to see this become a real problem first before we deem it banned. I can't imagine someone could just run away on this stage the whole time. And I mean Mute City is gone, couldn't you just ban it if you know your foe will pick Peach?

I don't want to go into anymore detail if you did mean that you'd like to see it be neutral, because then that's different.

D

Deleted member

There is no reason to keep "recommended rule" or "stage list" discussions away from the community....NONE
some level of secrecy moves to keep externalizations out of our choices. while I do agree that making it visible adds some transparency to our endeavors and works to hold members accountable for their decisions. it will ultimately skew any product that comes forth.

We have a back room to ensure that our competitive community is left in the hands of thoroughly experienced people. That's about it.

`DNS`

Smash Lord
Peach I guess can hover above and just run away. But I'd need to see this become a real problem first before we deem it banned. I can't imagine someone could just run away on this stage the whole time. And I mean Mute City is gone, couldn't you just ban it if you know your foe will pick Peach?
I'm not disagreeing, but see Pink Shinobi at Genesis.
Especially vs RockCrock.

AXE 09

Smash Master
so.... we're getting rid of PS because we want to do stage striking?

i kinda like the idea of each person striking a stage from random better.... from what i've seen, more people dislike FoD than Stadium. logically, stadium seems less of a neutral stage than FoD, but i'm pretty sure that more people like stadium than FoD, so why didn't we move FoD out of the neutral stages rather than stadium?

pockyD

Smash Legend
it's not about what people like, it's about what's "fair"

i think FD is by far the most popular stage (though maybe that's because i've spent a lot of my smash career on the EC :laugh: ) but at the same time, I'd contend that it is most likely the real least neutral "neutral" - despite this, there have been little to no demands that FD be put up for banning instead of PS (or FoD)

the stage list is not and should not be a popularity contest

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
why not have it be a popularity contest? were the ones that have to play on it....

the fact that more characters (and players) do decently well on PS than on FoD means nothing?

pockyD

Smash Legend
why not have it be a popularity contest? were the ones that have to play on it....
the ruleset is just a recommended ruleset; if the group of players running the tournament prefers PS for whatever reason, then you're obviously completely free to use it instead in your rules

the recommended rules are intended to be fair; if you're gearing your tournament more towards "fun" and want to include flatzone or something, feel free to do so... just know at the same time, it's likely not competitively optimal

the fact that more characters (and players) do decently well on PS than on FoD means nothing?
maybe if that were true

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion

i kinda like the idea of each person striking a stage from random better.... from what i've seen, more people dislike FoD than Stadium. logically, stadium seems less of a neutral stage than FoD, but i'm pretty sure that more people like stadium than FoD, so why didn't we move FoD out of the neutral stages rather than stadium?
Reminds me of the Metaknight stuff, but i'm not opening that can of spoiled food.

@Umbreon

Then add the best and most knowledgeable Melee players in the backroom. From what I hear the are tons of beastly and smart players (M2k for one example) not in the backroom for bias reasons.

The secrecy argument only holds ground if the member voting in these polls are in fact morons. Even if read only, who in the blue hell cares if random scrubs disagree with an established pro, I know the pro wouldn't.

It just seems like you're saying the backroom are too nervous to express how they truly feel to the vast majority of the community, which happens to be the people that keep this game alive. Alot of people want to see the discussion of Stadium being moved, and why stage striking is better than the previous system.

Secrecy is only needed if you think the backroom members would become more biased or be swayed in there decision making due to random members being able to see the discussions, which I'd hope wouldn't be. If so, I think you need to re-evaluate the back room members to people that have a back bone....

@pocky

The Move of Fountain to counter pick makes Falcon, Peach, Doctor Mario, and even Spamus better options. What does the move of Stadium due, Fox and Falco lose one of their MANY great stages, by default Marth and Sheik get more options, and the rest of the cast is still shafted by the majority of the stages being great for the top tier.

Hell, I almost think it would be better to have the counter pick stages on random, so Fox and Falco get shafted more by a dumb first game stage.....but that would only mean banning mute cuty...haha

I didn't realize Mute is banned, i thought it was just for pound 4.....haha

D

Deleted member

Then add the best and most knowledgeable Melee players in the backroom. From what I hear the are tons of beastly and smart players (M2k for one example) not in the backroom for bias reasons.

The secrecy argument only holds ground if the member voting in these polls are in fact morons. Even if read only, who in the blue hell cares if random scrubs disagree with an established pro, I know the pro wouldn't.

It just seems like you're saying the backroom are too nervous to express how they truly feel to the vast majority of the community, which happens to be the people that keep this game alive. Alot of people want to see the discussion of Stadium being moved, and why stage striking is better than the previous system.

Secrecy is only needed if you think the backroom members would become more biased or be swayed in there decision making due to random members being able to see the discussions, which I'd hope wouldn't be. If so, I think you need to re-evaluate the back room members to people that have a back bone....
Not that your assertion are ill-founded, but you're incorrect. Most all of the best players of this game are in the MBR, and the reasoning behind the policy of secrecy does not extend into the theoretical range in which you placed it.

jugfingers

Smash Champion
Not that your assertion are ill-founded, but you're incorrect. Most all of the best players of this game are in the MBR, and the reasoning behind the policy of secrecy does not extend into the theoretical range in which you placed it.
LOOOLOLOLOLOLOLOL lols 100X

the reasoning behind the policy of secrecy does not extend into the theoretical range in which you placed it.

HHOHOHOH

IM actually laughing outloud right now.

did you actually just say that?

foreal?

fksdlksgsl

.....responding to allegations of the reasons behind secrecy with a hollow ostentatious mysterious denial must be the definition of something....probably irony.

so your reasons for secrecy are also a secret....

of course the real reason you didn't offer an actual response is because the good doctor is absolutely correct with his statement "The secrecy argument only holds ground if the member voting in these polls are in fact morons. "

or if I may offer an alternative reason "the backroom likes to be secret because its fun and makes them feel important". lols.

Stev

Smash Ace
I don't have so much of a problem that what they're saying is kept secret, but i DO think we should be able to see WHAT they are talking about. That way we're not left in this empty silence of nothingness never knowing if they're actually being productive.

Eggm

Smash Hero

I vote for this FoD blows.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
You'd be up against Mango, Lucky, Linguini, Colbol, Shiz, Hungrybox, l0zR, chops, jman, eggm, etc.

Can't think of many right now off the top but it would be a legit crew battle.

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
@umbreon
Read Jugfingers post a few times and get back to me. When your ready to give a reason, and not vague excuses then maybe you won't look ridiculous. Is the Back room spammed with adult material or something?

@Jugfingers
Yeah, secrets are secret!

FoD blows.
Amen!

D

Deleted member

some level of secrecy moves to keep externalizations out of our choices. while I do agree that making it visible adds some transparency to our endeavors and works to hold members accountable for their decisions. it will ultimately skew any product that comes forth.

We have a back room to ensure that our competitive community is left in the hands of thoroughly experienced people. That's about it.
@umbreon
Read Jugfingers post a few times and get back to me. When your ready to give a reason, and not vague excuses then maybe you won't look ridiculous. Is the Back room spammed with adult material or something?

@Jugfingers
Yeah, secrets are secret!

Amen!
1st quote: secrecy keeps material unbiased.
2nd quote: your guesses are wrong. secrecy keeps material unbiased.

cognition, get some.

and I have absolutely no problem with infracting based on stupidity. If anyone wants real explanations, I will give them. If anyone wants to say LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL they won't have a usable account very long.

edit: I'm hesitant to add Mango, I don't want someone in who posts like a 3rd grader, nor do we actually know his thoughts about the game. after that I'd have no issue adding him for his raw ability were he to be voted in.

jugfingers

Smash Champion
1st quote: secrecy keeps material unbiased.
2nd quote: your guesses are wrong. secrecy keeps material unbiased.

cognition, get some.

and I have absolutely no problem with infracting based on stupidity. If anyone wants real explanations, I will give them. If anyone wants to say LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL they won't have a usable account very long.

The very word "secrecy" is repugnant in a free and open society; and we are as a people inherently and historically opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths and to secret proceedings. -John F Kennedy from the speech that got him assasinated.

how does secrecy keep material unbiased? if anything the opposite would be true, as the deliberators could be as biased as they want without cirtical dissent.
unless you mean the BR members lack a backbone and would all conform to the popular opinion afraid of criticism.

"Skewing the product" implies that your decsions are perfect, which they are not. Transparency only makes things more accurate not less, unless the BR members are not intelligent enough to filter the criticism usefully, which Im sure they are more than capable of.

basically any argument you could postulate for secrecy can be easily refuted in regards to intellectual discussion.

The only reason for secrecy is either the backroom are afraid of revealing that they are not as smart as they presume or that being in a secret group makes them feel good.

I don't really care that the backroom is secret , but I do like laughing at silly *** comments.

also threatening to ban people who post criticism of your beliefs is incredibly revealing

LOLOLOLOLOLOL.

Tirno

Smash Journeyman
secrecy keeps material unbiased.
That's only true if by "unbiased" you mean "biased in the direction of the select few."

Secrecy doesn't keep stuff biased, in fact, it makes it more vulnerable to the biases of the members. At least own up to the fact that the purpose of the MBR is to introduce more bias, just the "right" bias.

And in any case, do you really think melee discussion warrants secrecy? I mean, I love Melee just as much as the next guy, but seriously, it's just a game. Why can't the MBR members can't take a little peer review and stand by their decisions/arguments about a game?

And even if taking away secrecy manages to somehow sway an MBR decision, who cares, aren't they supposed to just be suggestions anyways?

Edit: jugfingers beat me to it, haha.

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
What they said....
I just couldn't think in the wee hours of the morning!

If secrecy is needed, then you're doing one of these things at least

1)Insulting the decision making skills of the community as a whole
2)Acting elitest

I don't understand the logic you're trying to skew into our heads....b/c IMO it's very wrong.

I'm hesitant to add Mango, I don't want someone in who posts like a 3rd grader, nor do we actually know his thoughts about the game. after that I'd have no issue adding him for his raw ability were he to be voted in.
I'm pretty sure Mango isn't ********, b y any means. If you wanted the best players in the back room, he'd obviously be there. That's called being biased. He's proved above and beyond his ability to play this game.

Tirno

Smash Journeyman
If secrecy is needed, then you're doing one of these things at least

1)Insulting the decision making skills of the community as a whole
2)Acting elitest
No, the need for the MBR is saying that community is bad at making decisions.

Actually, the need for secrecy speaks about the ability of the MBR to not be able to take criticism from people they've already classified as bad at making decisions.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Elitest jerk and intelligent is still better than Everone's Friend and ********. Umbreon is not the sole voice nor the leader of the MBR, but he is right. In terms of the general community, their decision making skills are abhorrent. To give you an idea, anyone who says "jiggs is top tier" and then uses the reasoning "Because Mango and HBox win" is extremely wrong.

I find the "Let people in cus they're good" argument amazing by the way. M2K has been in the MBR forever and he about once a month he asserts what the "Real tier list" is, and it's usually radically different every time. Now this is in no way saying i don't think M2K should not be in the MBR, he's extremely intelligent and knows alot about the game, but it doesn't stop him from being flat out wrong some times. And knowing the community and their level of general fanboyism, they'd take M2K's tier list(s) as correct every single time.

@Jugfingers, you want info? Here:

Pokemon Stadium fell to Counterpick due to the necessity of an odd number of stages for stage striking. That necessity led to an argument about whether we should drop one of the current Neutrals to CP or add one of the current CP's to the Neutral list. I as well as a few others argued that Kongo Jungle could rather safely be added to the Neutral list as with striking the chances of something like Pink Shinobi vs Rock Crock happening match one would be about 0% however I was eventually swayed when it was pointed out that adding KJ64 would in fact be meaningless as it would almost always get eliminated and never see play round one anyways, as well as to the fact that PS is only truly neutral for 3 of it's 5 forms. If every form was a stand alone stage the Rock and Fire stages would be outright banned. Since they only last a short amount of time it's not significant enough to require a ban however I do agree that they are intrusive enough to gameplay to remove from the neutral list. FoD was discussed as was Yoshi Story but in the end neither of these stages were particularly troublesome so they were ignored.

As for the counterpick list there's still some debate. Some stages(Green Greens, Jungle Japes) were pretty much unanimously voted for ban, however certain stages, namely Corneria and Mute City were deeply debated. Some players felt the stages were too strong for certain characters, that Fox wins instantly by counter picking Corneria and that Peach/Jiggs win instantly by picking Mute City and that these characters already have too many other strong counter pick stages, so giving them more options only degrades the counter pick system into "You win/I win/You win" with certain characters. I personally was actually against these bans, I don't feel that either stage is an instant win for any characters. There were constantly references brought up about certain matches, certain players winning or losing with those characters on those stages and while I don't feel that any of those matches prove one point or the other, I do feel that it creates enough of a gray area that perhaps we shouldn't jump on one decision too soon. But alas, we had to make a decision and in truth Im not particularly angry that those stages got dropped. The fact that there was that gray area also means that while the stages might not be outright broken they are obviously far stronger counter picks than many other stages so it's not something to get upset about.

So there, now you have information, happy? As for the secrecy thing, are you really so foolish that you don't understand the ridiculous amount of spam that would be created should the MBR become viewable by the general public? The "I think Scar/KishPrime/Ankoku/Pink Reaper is wrong" threads that would pop up constantly in the Melee Discussion. And im not talking the productive well thought out kind of threads, im talking the "Because I can beat my brothers fox with Pichu by taunt canceling and using Up B Trixies" threads. Have some common sense, certain things are kept secret because for every 5 or 6 members who have been here more than a two years and know what's appropriate to post, there's 20 more who don't. And yes, you SHOULD be banned for what you're doing, your flaming and disrespecting a moderator(you know, something that's against the rules) as well as spamming. You want some information? Ask. We'll answer. If you just post "LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL MBR SUX, I CAN'T SEE IT!" then you're really only hurting your "The general public isn't ********" cause.

Tirno

Smash Journeyman
Just to clarify, I'm not saying that the community isn't bad at making decisions. I can see why the MBR might be necessary, even though the elitism is sort of a turn off. I just don't think the "we need secrecy cause the decisions might be tainted" argument is a good one. Also, the secrecy sort of sucks for the members who aren't experienced/well-posted enough to be in the MBR but still wouldn't go around spamming the boards cause they disagree with <MBR member>.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
PR, Nubreon would probably never get flamed if he didn't jump at every opportunity to make misinformed posters look stupid lol. Also, I don't see how saying something like LOLOLOLOLOL to a moderator should get you banned. Would you ban someone for saying that to someone who is not a mod? The whole "either kiss my *** because I'm special or get banned" thing doesn't exactly radiate fairness lol. Not that I really care at all about the matter, just thought I'd give my opinion.

I think having the MBR is a good thing (and necessary), and I don't really care about the secrecy issue (although I'd be lying if I said I wasn't curious). Btw, I also like the new neutrals and CPs.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
the 2 problems with the MBR are that:

1) The selection process is completely arbitrary

2) It has no transparency

Even if you don't want to make it publicly viewable (you should), you should at least extract particularly important posts from specific decisions and list them with said decisions so that members understand how a particular decision was made.

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
You could also just eliminate the mbr altogether and post your thoughts like normal people. I just don't get why the mbr was even created, when we have forums for these kind of things, and everything could still be discussed by established pros and recent members.

It's like you are purposefully splitting the community, which I don't find right. If you think the spam is the problem, address it in the SWF rules and act when those rules are broken.

@pink reaper
Thank you for the actual reasons, rather than the vague dialect various other members give, I just am angered that it took criticism of the mbr to get an actual straight answer. I didn't mean to be disrespectful to anyone on this site, I just want to see the thought process when it comes to the games I play.

pockyD

Smash Legend
Thank you for the actual reasons, rather than the vague dialect various other members give, I just am angered that it took criticism of the mbr to get an actual straight answer. I didn't mean to be disrespectful to anyone on this site, I just want to see the thought process when it comes to the games I play.
people given their opinions on the stages, etc ALL THE TIME

it's not like the MBR is 100% in agreement on any issue (except that mk needs to be banned); even mbr members argue out in the open if that's where the subject comes up

when you ask about admissions (or transparency), that whole process is pretty **** vague to everybody including mbr members so it's hard for anyone to provide you with a real answer

but if you have a question about why a stage is legal? mbr members are people just like everyone else, have stuff to do like everyone else, etc; nobody's assigned to watch all threads between 4 and 8 pm and respond to every demand. go to any thread that DOES have existing detailed and thought-provoking discussion of the subjects and I can almost guarantee you that multiple mbr members have given their input at some point

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
If you want to disagree with something, feel free to disagree, but only with the final result. Note that I held a belief at one point(Kongo Jungle) and then that belief changed. Had there been MBR transparency there very easily could have been a huge amount of "Kongo Jungle shouldn't be Neutral" spam in the Melee Discussion(most of which to be honest I would have never read) followed by a rather ill-conceived notion that when my mind was changed by the arguments of non-MBR members when the final product came out. This would lead to random members believing they have the debate skills to be in the MBR and using of the rather incorrect "We helped keep Kongo Jungle off the Neutral List" argument as to why they should be in. They of course would NOT make it in which would lead to even more arguments and whining about why they didn't get in(Ex: Mogwai) It's much easier on the forum and forum leaders to just let the MBR take the small amount of hate for being closed.

To be honest, the less likely any given member THINKS they should be in, the less likely it's going to cause problems. With a closed Back Room members have to rely solely on themselves in debates and arguments and this is actually what helps your chances of getting in. If you don't like a final product of the MBR, that's fine, argue it. Anyone who can prove themselves capable of extreme rationale and proper debate skills in doing so will definitely help their chances of getting in. If you think the proper alternative is to say "This list sucks and so does the MBR" then youre probably mogwai.

Edit: @Pocky, we also agreed pretty solidly that Green Greens can **** right off.

Top Bottom