• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Back Room Reopening

HawaiianJigglyPuff

Smash Ace
wow this is actually a really good point. I'll rewatch them later, but I think I know what you're talking about.
I'm going to assume you were not being sarcastic (because there is absolutely no reason for you to treat me like a child and pretend to humor me) and say thanks. =]

I'm impressed by pockyD. His Larry David pondering avatar is 222g.
Wow, I feel stupid. All this time I thought that that was **** Cheney. -_-

edit: LOL CENSORING

D

Deleted member

it's more like hey who should we add and whoever gets the most votes gets in. last time I wanted to add 5 people, but there was a tie so there's 6 names iirc. too lazy to check.

I have made it very clear to the MBR that I have no further obligations as a leader other than regular activity for obvious reasons. if they want to focus their discussion, they are free to do so. that's a basic premise to a constructive argument anyway, and I'm not there to debate for them. either way, all work and no play makes a really boring back room, so I personally am not opposed to banter and side talk.

scar offered to fill that role in exchange for his ability to vote to remain neutral, and I said okay you can do that it's all yours, then he disappeared for a month.

I was not being sarcastic, I have also seen mango play to where he is very threatening and unpredictable but I haven't looked into it so deeply as to think of it as a new style of play.

jugfingers

Smash Champion
Your response to my post showing that I'd read your stated problems with a private group

You ignore the reasons I posted for why the jury system works the way it does, to bring up completely arbitrary points that have nothing to do w/ what I said. Your points were all completely irrelevant to the conversation.
first of all you didn't really post why the jury system works the way it does, you just said

"juries deliberate in secret, so that people from the outside can't try and influence a decision by the jury"

and then I explained why the reasons juries deliberate in secret is different than why the backroom is deliberating in secret.

because the backroom is composed of the supposed top intellectuals of the smash community, outside influence should not make a difference because, backroomers should be smart enough to recognize silly arguments and criticisms and ignore them

whereas jurors are a bunch of random individuals with no prior expertise in the matters their deciding, which is why outside influence is more of a problem in the interest of a fair trial.

its funny that you keep saying my posts are irrelevant to what you say,and that Im just avoiding the issues, but you havne't even tried to refute the points that I made about the jury system...the criticism of avoiding issues applies much more to yourself then to me.

Im not sure if you know how to debate but, you can't say my points are irrelevant and arbitrary without explaining why.

its like me just responding by saying "No! Your Wrong"

The second part you quoted again ignored my point to talk around the issue. It doesn't matter if the decision they came up with isn't right, down the road. The point is that if they get to decide their standpoint without the people not in the backroom (a unstated part of this being that the people in the back room DO have more knowledge and experience than most of the people who'd be trying to discuss it were it public) knowing their personal opinions on it. Then, when they reach their group consensus, they can go with that and have a clear, unified opinion, with strong reasons backing it.
I think your confusing ignoring/talking around an issue with not agreeing with what your saying lol. my response was directed at why I think what you have just re-stated above is a bad way to approach decision making, because the main reason for deliberating is to reach the "correct" decision lol IT does matter if the decision isn' t right!

yet again with your above statement you have failed to show why outside people having a knowledge of the individual backroom members decisions has a negative impact on the process,

all you have said is that being secret allows people to decide stuff without other people knowing about it.

and I quote

The point is that if they get to decide their standpoint without the people not in the backroom knowing their personal opinions on it
yes we all know that people in the backroom decide their standpoint without people knowing about it.

The question is why would having outside people know about their decisions be bad, even if those people are of sub-par intelligence, they still have no power over backroom decisions. If the backroom is truly the best and the brightest, then like people with mediocre intelligence they should be able to filter what is intelligent dissent and what is fundamentally incorrect dissent.

It should not be a problem.....for a group of smart people.

You failed to address why this is any more wrong than the countless other organizations that have a decision making team, or even just have people ranked higher than you on the totem pole--or do you expect you boss at whatever job you have to include you and all his employees when he's making a decision?
yes I would certainly expect my boss to include me when he's making a decision that directly effects me? That seems like it would be important to know about lol? The fact that he doesn't does not make it right.

I think your forgetting that a main reason that large organizations make secret decisions is because the decisions their making are not beneficial to anyone but themselves.

also in a business setting the reason other employees are not included in decisions is because they are hired to be doing something else, those decisions are another employees responsibility, it has nothing to do with those individuals thinking that if they let other people know about their decisions they'll be criticized and it will change their decision
I mean if they're making decisions that negatively affect other employees it would make a difference but that applies to my first point of secrecy due to the unbeneficial nature of the decision.

the reason why the organization model doesn't apply to smashboards is because everyone on smashboards are not employee's, we have no obligation to anyone with apparently lots of free time on our hands. so the reason for secrecy don't apply in this case we have nothing better to do than read a bunch if MBR posts we haven't been hired to do anything specifically we are simply here to learn and discuss matters pertaining to ssbm.

In terms of your response to kaos in the same post, you again bring up "the only point i'm trying to refute is in this particular situation, conversing in secret is somehow advantageous to transparency." Except that you can't

let me tell you a secret, trying to prove someone is a troll is a lot easier if you know what your talking about

but here let me post the benefits of transparency that I gave earlier

-with a great deal of scrutiny backroom members would be more likely to articulate their ideas more clearly and concisely. provide more solid arguments in light of the fact that anyone with a smashboard account could post a thread as to why they are either right or wrong.

-you wouldn't have to re- explain your decisions, anyone could simply read the threads for themselves.

-if any smashboard member could read the backroom discussion a large portion of the community could probably learn a great deal about whatever you discuss, character match-ups, stage weakness's etc.

-people interested in the tier list could read your discussions as to why you reached those conclusions, just providing a tier list doesn't explain very much and explaining the tier list in detail would take the amount of time you spent discussion it in the first place.

Basically it would be providing useful information to the entire smash community and at the same time increasing the quality of discussion
. We provide evidence for why it's good, why it works the way it does, and all you do is bring up secret societies, ignoring the day to day evidence supporting the way it's done. Private organization=/=conspiracy. The fact is, a small group is more efficient. On a public forum, a public group is unable to be small, even if it's read only--the members of said group would be deluged by people (that aren't in their group for a reason) pming them, bring topics up in other threads, trying to influence their decision.
all I've done is bring up secret societies? I mentioned them maybe a couple times I've posted like three pages worth of argument not involving secret societies lol.

in my previous posts I have also agreed that small groups are more effective at Reaching a decision , but that does not mean that they are more accurate in reaching a decision.

Again what is wrong with people getting pm's about backroom topics, if the backroom members are actually intelligent like I said before they should be able to use Pm's constructively to reach a decision, there no reason why getting messages from people thinking why such and such a stage should be banned or why some character should be above another on the tier list would be a hindrance to the process, it might bring some unique information to the discussion.

Also, your claim about having one person is simply reducto ad absurdum, everyone knows that if it was once person, the results would be highly biased. You brought that up for no reason, except to avoid talking about our points. Same w/ comments like "all I am against is secrecy in an open society." **** like that proves that you're either helplessly naive, or a troll .And you're being to unwilling to respond in any meaningful way to our points, which leads one to believe the latter

um if you had Read the post with any degree of comprehension you wouldn't have posted what you just did.

let me copy and paste the quote that your talking about

yes of course working in smaller groups is more effective at reaching a conclusion.

of course just having one person would be the most efficient"
I said one person would be the most efficient. which is undeniable.

and I was using this as a way of showing a flaw in the small team effective argument, because if your just after effectiveness then one person is the way to go, as there wouldn't be any discussion or deliberation. it was a response to a kaos's small team argument not something I posted for no reason as you have stated.

and simply picking out one sentence from a page post and using it to imply that I avoided talking about your points is pretty weak and is also really ****ing ironic, because it was a comment I made in passing which had little to do with my real argument, and instead of responding to my actual argument you just pick out a sentence that you think you can attack and then ignore everything else I said, so who is really avoiding whos argument?

and how is saying that I'm against secrecy in an open society is acting like a troll, if you understood what was going on in the world right now you wouldn't be saying that.

politicians, Corporate leaders, private orginizations, deliberate in secret because they have something to hide from the general population, because if people knew what they were really talking about they wouldn't exist for very long, the use of secrecy in the real world is used to hide malevolent intent. please explain your perception of secrecy in the real world more clearly if you do not think this is the case.

so let me sum up the arguments so far, and correct me if I have your argument wrong.

You think that the backroom should be secret because having it open to the public would cause an outside influence on backroom decisions, which would be bad because the backroom decisions are the best possible and outside influence would come from an uninformed and unintelligent source which could only cause a deterioration of the final conclusions.

My response to this is that , assuming that the backroom is indeed the smartest and most able to make a correct decision, allowing it to be viewable to the public would not be detrimental to the decisions because the backroom members would only change their decision if an argument proposed by a non-backroommember was well founded and convincing, in which case the change in that backroommembers decision would be positive.
unfounded arguments would be rationally negated by the supreme intellect of the backroom and hence not a factor in the final decision other than the strengthening of their decision due to the flaws in the proposed argument.

also the rest of the smash community might learn some valuable information from reading discussions which is why most people have a smashboards account.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
We don't keep it secret to diminish outside influence. Whenever a new ruleset, or a new teir list is posted. There are inevitably going to be people who distastefully disagree and that is detrimental to the image this forum is trying to portray.

The MBR does not rule as an individual, it rules as a group. The MBR is a room that DEMANDS respectful debate from one another. Any thread relating in the MBR decisions but posted in the Melee discussion section is not limited by such a demand. As an example, look at the tierlist thread. There are always useless one line posts people unreasonably complaining about their character's spot. We can expect to see more nonsense like this if the MBR is publicly viewable.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
lmao jugfingers i love how you always assume backroomers should be semi-godlike people who can ignore the influence of others at will.

They are people. They aren't added to the backroom because they are geniuses or super humans or because they dodge trolls like you on the site all day. The ONLY criteria is how much they know about a video game (well, that and being able to debate civilly).

Yes back roomers are influenced by other people. If you were the president, and your best friend since middle school came up to you and said "that one bill will hurt me and my family cause of x, y, z" you would be MUCH more inclined to veto it. Not because the bill was a bad or unfair, but because it hurts your friend.

Everything influences other things.

On election day, do you vote in public and have to explain who and why you voted to everyone who is there? no, you can do it in secret and pick whatever you want for whatever reason you want. There is no outside influence, and thats the point.

gonna double post cause your post was full of lols

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
first of all you didn't really post why the jury system works the way it does, you just said

"juries deliberate in secret, so that people from the outside can't try and influence a decision by the jury"

and then I explained why the reasons juries deliberate in secret is different than why the backroom is deliberating in secret.
no, the full reason for both situations is that they don't want outside influence effecting the decisions. the reasons why they don't want outside influence is different, but thats irrelevant.

because the backroom is composed of the supposed top intellectuals of the smash community, outside influence should not make a difference because, backroomers should be smart enough to recognize silly arguments and criticisms and ignore them

whereas jurors are a bunch of random individuals with no prior expertise in the matters their deciding, which is why outside influence is more of a problem in the interest of a fair trial.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Yep MBR people are super humans with IQs over 180.

The point isn't can they ignore the influence or anything, but rather they shouldn't even have to deal with it. They simply don't give a **** about the majority of the people on smashboard's opinion and don't want to be bombarded with questions and comments and debates on stuff when they visit any other board.

Leave the backroom to the backroom.

yes I would certainly expect my boss to include me when he's making a decision that directly effects me? That seems like it would be important to know about lol? The fact that he doesn't does not make it right.
the boss can decide whatever he wants without questioning anyone because he is the boss. Thats how it works. He doesn't go up to you and go "hey... how much work do you feel like doing today?" he just tells you what you're doing and if you don't do it you get fired.

I think your forgetting that a main reason that large organizations make secret decisions is because the decisions their making are not beneficial to anyone but themselves.
OH **** ITS A CONSPIRACY

let me tell you a secret, trying to prove someone is a troll is a lot easier if you know what your talking about
U MAD?

Again what is wrong with people getting pm's about backroom topics, if the backroom members are actually intelligent like I said before they should be able to use Pm's constructively to reach a decision, there no reason why getting messages from people thinking why such and such a stage should be banned or why some character should be above another on the tier list would be a hindrance to the process, it might bring some unique information to the discussion.
The backroom like a social club where you know that the other people actually have decent tournament experience to back up their claims. While there are lots of people not in the backroom that have good tournament experience, the majority of people outside of the backroom are people who aren't anywhere close to the highest tournament level.

and how is saying that I'm against secrecy in an open society is acting like a troll, if you understood what was going on in the world right now you wouldn't be saying that.
you're right dude, all the top CEOs are in a super secret organization and are trying to control the whole world. WE GOTTA STOP THEM!!

politicians, Corporate leaders, private orginizations, deliberate in secret because they have something to hide from the general population, because if people knew what they were really talking about they wouldn't exist for very long, the use of secrecy in the real world is used to hide malevolent intent. please explain your perception of secrecy in the real world more clearly if you do not think this is the case.
people having secrets =/= people having malevolent intent

jugfingers

Smash Champion
lmao jugfingers i love how you always assume backroomers should be semi-godlike people who can ignore the influence of others at will.
lol kid please, It doesn't take a semi-god. I believe I compared it someone with mediocre intelligence lmao.

If the backroom is truly the best and the brightest, then like people with mediocre intelligence they should be able to filter what is intelligent dissent and what is fundamentally incorrect dissent.

no, the full reason for both situations is that they don't want outside influence effecting the decisions. the reasons why they don't want outside influence is different, but thats irrelevant.
the difference between reasons is not irrelevant its the main point. the fact that jurors deliberations are not secret for the same reasons the backroom is secret means that you cannot use the secrecy of a jury to justify the secrecy of the backroom...lol do you understand what im saying?

do scientists deliberating as to whether or not to keep pluto a planet keep their deliberations a secret? no. because they feel confident in defending there decisions publicly this is a much better parallel between the backroom then jurors.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Yep MBR people are super humans with IQs over 180.

The point isn't can they ignore the influence or anything, but rather they shouldn't even have to deal with it. They simply don't give a **** about the majority of the people on smashboard's opinion and don't want to be bombarded with questions and comments and debates on stuff when they visit any other board.

Leave the backroom to the backroom.
lol I doubt the backroom would be bombarded with that many questions and comments, and the fact that people would be interested in the discussion is hardly a reason for secrecy, in fact It would probably be beneficial to the quality of discussion on smashboards in general.

the boss can decide whatever he wants without questioning anyone because he is the boss. Thats how it works. He doesn't go up to you and go "hey... how much work do you feel like doing today?" he just tells you what you're doing and if you don't do it you get fired.
yea ok.....so how does that relate to the backroom lol?

you're right dude, all the top CEOs are in a super secret organization and are trying to control the whole world. WE GOTTA STOP THEM!!

it would be hard to reveal your ignorance and stupidity anymore clearly with this statemement.

On election day, do you vote in public and have to explain who and why you voted to everyone who is there? no, you can do it in secret and pick whatever you want for whatever reason you want. There is no outside influence, and thats the point.

lol such a bad example, wow. The only people who want voting to be secret are people who vote for evil murderous scumbags, someone voting for a person who will actually help the people would certainly not care if anyone knew or not

some thoughts from dave chappelle on this matter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ2dquaHO7Q&feature=player_embedded

jugfingers

Smash Champion
We don't keep it secret to diminish outside influence. Whenever a new ruleset, or a new teir list is posted. There are inevitably going to be people who distastefully disagree and that is detrimental to the image this forum is trying to portray.

The MBR does not rule as an individual, it rules as a group. The MBR is a room that DEMANDS respectful debate from one another. Any thread relating in the MBR decisions but posted in the Melee discussion section is not limited by such a demand. As an example, look at the tierlist thread. There are always useless one line posts people unreasonably complaining about their character's spot. We can expect to see more nonsense like this if the MBR is publicly viewable.
I don't think anyone was suggesting that backroom threads be public in that anyone can post in them, the question is why isn't it viewable.

tubes

Smash Ace
Jugfingers I didn't read your posts, but, judging by the gigantic walls of text, you seem to be upset that the melee backroom isn't viewable to the public. Let me assure you that nobody is trying to make bogus changes to the tier list or ruleset or partaking in malicious activities for their own benefit. I can prove this by stating that nobody in the melee backroom is getting paid to make decisions! What motivation does the backroom really have to be mischievous? If anything, the worst that probably goes on in there is dickriding and making fun of non backroom people.

Also Pakman's post is about why the backroom isn't viewable.

Also Also if the backroom was viewable, the melee discussion boards would have about 4 more threads just like this one at all times.

Turazrok

Smash Master
See, I thought it was viewable at one point. The archives anyways. So I wanted to see the reasoning behind the evolution of Melee, and it wouldn't let me =/

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
it used to be but they changed that since nothign was b eing put there.
but dont quoe me on that ._.

D

Deleted member

kevin if you don't start infractions, I will. and you're much nicer than I am.

practice* has none of the letter "s". [/english]

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
Pretty sure that shield wont work

Any new developments on the thigns that were liste?

D

Deleted member

stuck on teams tiers. no one knows about the low tiers in teams because no one plays them so as not to drag down their teammate.

jugfingers

Smash Champion
Ness and sheik are a good team, me and nekurbis did well against tang and ss at oc3 in with that team, SS was sort of sandbagging though.

seriously though ness should be up there in teams cause he can yyg his teamate when theres a break in action, put on a thunderjacket and then gg and stuff. Thats the future of teams trust me.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
stuck on teams tiers. no one knows about the low tiers in teams because no one plays them so as not to drag down their teammate.
Thats actually a really good point.

I think a few of the low tiers have some special abilities that are useful in teams but for sake of dragging the team down it never happens.

I wouldnt be surprised if some of the low tiers were ranked a little higher then they are for singles.

D20

Smash Lord
Thats actually a really good point.

I think a few of the low tiers have some special abilities that are useful in teams but for sake of dragging the team down it never happens.

I wouldnt be surprised if some of the low tiers were ranked a little higher then they are for singles.
Zelda comes to mind.

However, are you making the team tier list with single character entries...

Fox
Falco
Marth

Or are you ranking them by team... and only ranking the top 10 teams (or so)?

Fox/Fox
Fox/Peach
Fox/Jigglypuff

jugfingers

Smash Champion
that would be "you're"

not "your"

good luck on that English test.
LOLOLOLOLOLOl

Get ***** by English grammarz!
I was writing the word practice in an ecology final today, and when I got to the second c I was like yea this is definitely a c. Thanks Umbreon Mow

thankfully my English essay is marked virtually entirely on content, not grammar or spelling.

D

Deleted member

Zelda comes to mind.

However are you making the team tier list with single character entries...

Fox
Falco
Marth

Fox/Fox
Fox/Peach
Fox/Jigglypuff
the first, individual characters. the latter would take way too long and have holes like crazy. also as a zelda player I can honestly say I'd rather play her in singles. too much fox in teams.

Skler

Smash Master
There's no such thing as too much Fox.

Also Jug, you said you're an English major. Your teachers should be on your *** about grammar all the time; I get yelled at for commas like it's my job. Grammar is important for both writing and editing. Spelling is pretty easy for computers to check for, grammar is tough.

jugfingers

Smash Champion
the first, individual characters. the latter would take way too long and have holes like crazy. also as a zelda player I can honestly say I'd rather play her in singles. too much fox in teams.
not very much fox in singles?

There's no such thing as too much Fox.

Also Jug, you said you're an English major. Your teachers should be on your *** about grammar all the time; I get yelled at for commas like it's my job. Grammar is important for both writing and editing. Spelling is pretty easy for computers to check for, grammar is tough.

I'm certainly not an english major, I'm
in a science program. I just have an english class, cause I guess you have to know english to take sciences or something,

I use a lot of commas, cause there fun, I titled one paper last year in a philosophy class Commas Ftw. Because I used a lot of commas...

but yea I don't have a lot of respect for punctuation, mostly just clutters up the page. commas and periods are basically all you need.

Skler

Smash Master
Oh, then **** it. One class isn't a big deal at all and they don't care all that much in the entry classes.

I need to know science to do English. 12 credits of it, actually.

Also, Smash Brothers. I think the back room could make a discussion topic about what we're talking about in Melee discussion (make a teams tier list thread, for example) and just let people talk about it while we have our own stuff. I don't know if it would make people hate us less, but it might help!

Edit: There's no such thing as too much Fox in any event.

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
i don't know if this is discussed anywhere, but i checked the first page and didn't come across anything specific:

what are the criteria for becoming a member in the MBR? knowledge? tournament performance? i'm interested and would like to see if i'm qualified before i try to join

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Zelda comes to mind.

However, are you making the team tier list with single character entries...

Fox
Falco
Marth

Fox/Fox
Fox/Peach
Fox/Jigglypuff
Lol, I was thinking m2 haha. he can take the game way off stage to extend his team mates combos. and in conjunction easy gimps.

He is often ignored and gets alot of free hits or unexpected ones, and on a stage like dreamland he holds stock pretty well.

also hes pretty good at saving because uair can hit towards the stage and up while facing either direction.

Confusion has mad uses in teams such as anyone else can get hit by whatever is reflected and if you confuse somebody who is airborn(like a team mate) they get their jump back.

also in a two v one all you need is a grab and you get an auto infinite thats easy to do. and disable is more useful to the more offensive teamate.

In teams the Fthrow is better because it can hit more than one person and the upthrow is still a kill move and backthrow sets up edgeguards.

You can sneak in confusions and drag ppl through battlefield, stadium, a bunch of the previously cpable stages and all platforms.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
dam mogwai lol. Its almost personal, but I agree tho. the tail shouldnt be part of the hitbox and his floatiness if fine just he shouldnt dies so easily.

it makes me sad everytime i get upsmashed by fox and die at 70 something.

dont tell anyone, but when I was starting out playing smash i played dj combo and he tippered me and I died off the top of yoshis at literally 32 percent. of course I had terrible DI but still.

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
i don't know if this is discussed anywhere, but i checked the first page and didn't come across anything specific:

what are the criteria for becoming a member in the MBR? knowledge? tournament performance? i'm interested and would like to see if i'm qualified before i try to join
is anyone going to answer my question?

Top Bottom