• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melbourne Brawl | STIGMA-B for 2010 yes or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

C~Dog

Smash Champion
Before making any controversial and potentially upsetting rules changes, why not wait until the next Stigma B and take some records of the playing styles of participants with regard to ledge grabs? If it turns out there are some people who exceed the average number, then make the rule. But don't just make the limit 70 without testing it out first. The playing styles between here and Japan could be sufficiently different enough that 70 is either too large or too small a limit.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
What's this about a poll people want to set up? I can arrange one for this thread if people tell me what they want in it.

C~Dog

Smash Champion
Would it be too much bother to get everyone to record the number of ledgegrabs they did during their match? And if there are high numbers, you can ask the opponent (or observers) if they thought the opponent was planking or not.

S.D

Smash Master
Would it be too much bother to get everyone to record the number of ledgegrabs they did during their match? And if there are high numbers, you can ask the opponent (or observers) if they thought the opponent was planking or not.
There's a a stat after the match that says how many ledge grabs.

If it's over 70 they were planking, you can't get that many ledge grabs without camping a ledge.

I'm all for the rule.

C~Dog

Smash Champion
There's a a stat after the match that says how many ledge grabs.

If it's over 70 they were planking, you can't get that many ledge grabs without camping a ledge.

I'm all for the rule.
Yeah i know that. I'm asking if its too much of a bother for jei and other TOs to do. And the point i'm trying to make is that we don't know is 70 is the right number us. We need to test it first.

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
I don't think a poll will be necessary. It's simple, if it appears that your opponent is planking, check the ledge grab stat at the end of your match. If it exceeds 70 (or is roughly around that number) then notify a TO. No need to keep record of every match, only if you think your opponent is planking.
After this month's tourney we will decide on the rule and how it will be enforced, if at all.

Quite frankly I think that us smashers as a whole should just learn how to get around it, instead of banning a certain style of play altogether.

As for this month's tournament, I want to run pools first for seeding. That way everyone gets alot more games and won't be knocked out of the actual bracket prematurely. I've received a few complaints about certain smashers having a rough placement last month.

Running pools will obviously make our time shorter so I want to actually start on time this month. If you will be arriving late, please let me know so we can arrange something.
Schedule will be posted soon.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
hmm I'm not decided either way, but certain characters meta game revolves around the ledge (saumus)
but throwback is the only samus I know and he probably wouldn't even come close to half that number during a game.

C~Dog

Smash Champion
As for this month's tournament, I want to run pools first for seeding. That way everyone gets alot more games and won't be knocked out of the actual bracket prematurely. I've received a few complaints about certain smashers having a rough placement last month.

Running pools will obviously make our time shorter so I want to actually start on time this month. If you will be arriving late, please let me know so we can arrange something.
Would you mind explaining how the pools work in relation to seeding? I don't quite understand it. And does this mean that we each get more games? Or do we all still have a minimum of two?

Also don't take this the wrong way or anything, but I noticed last time that the tourney was a little.. unorganised, i guess. I suggest you read this thread here, as it looks like it will help the tourney run much smoother and would be more enjoyable for all concerned. Again, please don't get mad or anything, as I have no idea how much experience you've had as a TO, I just think that the points made it that thread could improve Stigma B for the best, and if there is anything I can do to help, just let me know.

Vermy

Smash Champion
Luke, if you're refeering to the tether>edge grab metagame, I do a similar thing with ivysaur to force my opponent into something or if done well enough, result in a KO. And yeah. No way 70 grabs in 8 minutes is legitimate.

See how we go with plankers this month and if we have more complaints, Jei and X should address it as they see fit. As I recall there's been much debate about the current ruleset and while we may not agree, Cao thinks they're capable of running it so let them do it their way.

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
Thanks for the honesty Condog, last month was my very first tournment so it was mainly a learning experience. I'll take note of the thread you directed to me and use it in the future :)

Seeding will work like this: Every smasher will be put into a group of 4 or 5 depending on the turnout and the time. You will have to play against everyone in your group (or pool). You will have 2 matches against each person in your pool, no matter what the outcome.
So player A vs player B, they play their match which can result in 3 different ways.

2-0
1-1
0-2

You do this against everyone in your pool as I already mentioned and you report the results to me between each match. After everyone has played each other they will be ranked by how many points they accumulated in their pool. The seeding will be determined by rank so everyone who placed 1st in their respective pool will be evenly spread out through the bracket, everyone who placed 2nd in their pool will be evenly spread out and so on.

I will explain this in a better way on the actual day (mainly for the people who don't visit this site.)

C~Dog

Smash Champion
Thanks for the honesty Condog, last month was my very first tournment so it was mainly a learning experience. I'll take note of the thread you directed to me and use it in the future :)
Oh, that was your first?! Well, in that case, you did a good job! For you first tourney, it could've been plenty worse.

The main things to improve on would be mainly organising matches and allocating them to certain wiis. That way you dont have people wandering around trying to find a console to play on. If you did that, numbered each wii, and printed of a list of the matches for the round (so people can see them without having to ask you every two second :p ), then it would be a huge improvement.

Also, thanks for taking this in good spirits. Sometimes people have a tendancy to get angry when I try constructive critisism. :)

Seeding will work like this: Every smasher will be put into a group of 4 or 5 depending on the turnout and the time. You will have to play against everyone in your group (or pool). You will have 2 matches against each person in your pool, no matter what the outcome.
So player A vs player B, they play their match which can result in 3 different ways.

2-0
1-1
0-2

You do this against everyone in your pool as I already mentioned and you report the results to me between each match. After everyone has played each other they will be ranked by how many points they accumulated in their pool. The seeding will be determined by rank so everyone who placed 1st in their respective pool will be evenly spread out through the bracket, everyone who placed 2nd in their pool will be evenly spread out and so on.

I will explain this in a better way on the actual day (mainly for the people who don't visit this site.)
Oh, awesome! More games against people of my skill level! So naturally, this means the singles tourney will run for much longer, yeah?

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
Yer no problem, I welcome critisism when it comes to running tourneys so I know what to improve on.
To answer your questions, a while ago we used to label each TV and allocated matches that way so yeah we can do that again.
And yes, that means singles will take longer. If we have alot of TV's and everyone co-operates then pools shouldn't take longer than an hour hopefully.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
"YO DAWG I HERD YOU LIKE EDGE STALLING SO WE PUT A METAKNIGHT IN YO BRAWL SO YOU CAN STALL WHILE U BRAWL... and get owned"

An edge stalling metaknight will get owned by a metaknight.
An edge stalling Pit will get owned by Metaknight, even MORE EASILY
An edge stalling (liek 4 regrabs) Shaya will get owned by Cobalt, coz he'll air dodge through you like a pro and then UP AIR YOU FROM UNDERNEATH YOU.

_X_

Smash Lord
RE: The edge grab thing, there are ways around it. How do you think AfroPony (I think) was beaten by Jei and IceK?

On the other hand it's annoying for T.Os 'cause your matches last for ****ing ever and, not only stall the match, but the whole thing. Alas a win is a win.

People SHOULD like Seeding pools and such. It's cooler (get it... >_> pools .... <_< (Nevermind))

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
seeding pools is a fantastic idea, means i get more matches :)

i would consider allocating each pool to a wii if possible, so matches can keep flowing a little better...

oh, i didnt know that was your first tourny run, jei. nice work ;)

C~Dog

Smash Champion
i would consider allocating each pool to a wii if possible, so matches can keep flowing a little better...
Ooh, now that is a great idea! Although if that were the case, then the number of pools would be dependent on the number of wiis, and if i recall correctly there were 7 or so there last time, with 40-50 people. So really were looking at 10 wiis for everything to be even. :dizzy: Is that possible?

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
well if last time we had 7 wiis and 35 people, 10 wiis for 50 people could happen. if we could make it happen, things would be soooo much smoother...

_X_

Smash Lord
seeding pools is a fantastic idea, means i get more matches :)

oh, i didnt know that was your first tourny run, jei. nice work ;)
Yeah, good work JEI, NICE WORK JEI.

Alas Jei did do most of the work. I do plan on being a more pivotal partner in this anarchy.

Vermy

Smash Champion
WUBS FOAR X AND JEI!!!!!

<3<3<3<3<3

P.S. Today was awesome. Teenage Mutant Ninja Squirtle and Charzilla ftw.
"But what abouts Ivysaurs?"

Get edgehogged much? Die at 10% much? Want to ragequit much?
The answer is lamp.

S.D

Smash Master
Yer no problem, I welcome critisism when it comes to running tourneys so I know what to improve on.
To answer your questions, a while ago we used to label each TV and allocated matches that way so yeah we can do that again.
And yes, that means singles will take longer. If we have alot of TV's and everyone co-operates then pools shouldn't take longer than an hour hopefully.

2-0
1-1
0-2

I don't think a poll will be necessary. It's simple, if it appears that your opponent is planking, check the ledge grab stat at the end of your match. If it exceeds 70 (or is roughly around that number) then notify a TO. No need to keep record of every match, only if you think your opponent is planking.
After this month's tourney we will decide on the rule and how it will be enforced, if at all.

Quite frankly I think that us smashers as a whole should just learn how to get around it, instead of banning a certain style of play altogether.

I'm just gunna come out and say it.

I love you Jei.

Atticus

Smash Journeyman
Jei tells it how it is. Stop trying to get **** banned/restricted and start praccing up :)

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
I'll just come out and say it too - WTF's planking?

OK so as lame as it is, Planking is simply stalling on the edge...something that's been done in since Smash64 by MANY MANY people yet some ****** does it now and names it after himself.....riiiiiight.

Well as far as Brawl mechanics go yeah the egde as a homo character can be lame. If you can't beat it though...join it - most stages have two ledges or more ;).

Voss

Smash Rookie
Well as far as Brawl mechanics go yeah the egde as a homo character can be lame. If you can't beat it though...join it - most stages have two ledges or more ;).
Or sandbag them for the rest of the match.

Although planking competition would be awesome. :p

Zant3tsuken

Smash Journeyman
Meeting happening this weekend for the annual that we'd like to organise. We've extended the invitation to Ozhadou as well.

Loki said:
Hi guys,
We'll be holding a meeting this coming Saturday the 14th of March to open discussion and start planning on the first big annual tournament we're planning for later this year.

Details: 4pm, Saturday the 14th of March
John Curtin Hotel (downstairs of the Ranbat venue)

As I said, I just want to open discussions about this event, and getting everyone who's interested together, talking, and agreeing is the first step.

The current agenda is as follows: (please suggest topics to be included)
What different players (diff.games/local/interstate) want
Venue (current findings, convent suitability)
Time Frame (running time and date)
Tournaments (and format)
Other Events (running during the weekend)
Prizes and sponsorship opportunities
Name suggestions/discussion (I'm sick of referring to it as "the annual")

Please let me know if you can make it, I will reschedule it the key players and/or a large amount of eager parties are unable to make it.

Hope to see you all there so we can get the ball rolling ASAP.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
how can you plank a planker? the whole point is that as soon as they get ahead they go stall till the time runs out and then they win... if you go plank them back then your doing what they want and they win.

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
Well not only do you start on even stock count but there's more than one game per match (thumbs-up)

C~Dog

Smash Champion
Haha, a planking competition would basically degenerate into who can get the first hit it. The matches would all be "3..2..1..GO! Oh, Pit hit you with his arrow. Pit wins."

Suntan Luigi

Smash Lord
Fox keeps out his reflector to reflect the already reflected twice arrow back at Pit. Fox wins.

And if you try reflecting it again, I'll make Snake dthrow you from behind...

C~Dog

Smash Champion
I reflect again, and then get Giant-Metal-Curry-Metaknight-Team to d-smash your snake before he can throw me! Check and mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom