• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MBR Official Rule Set

Scar

#HarveyDent
which suggests that stage select is not a TO's decision

in the end MBR rules are the recommended standard, there is absolutely no reason for why the MBR can't vote on and then post its own recommended standard for wobbling

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion

in the end MBR rules are the recommended standard, there is absolutely no reason for why the MBR can't vote on and then post its own recommended standard for wobbling
This post is full of win!

TheManaLord

Smash Hero

stages are more of a community consensus whereas wobbling sort of fades in and out of popularity there is no real unified viewpoint on it besides at a certain point it becomes stalling.

Scar

#HarveyDent
ps i think everyone with a brain can agree that wobbling is gay but not nearly as gay as pink shinobi rockcrock

there's no reason to ban it we should just hate everyone who does it
-mogwai

Ballistics

Smash Champion

I thought they already did this and I thought they agreed that TO's shouldn't ban it except when it is used excessively to stall.

pockyD

Smash Legend
if you MUST read into it, you may as well just interpret it as "wobbling is allowed"

there's no rule saying "chain-grabbing is allowed", yet nobody asks about it

Stevo

Smash Champion
is chain grabbing allowed?

I was against PS becoming a counter stage at first, but now that I think about it, it makes sense seeing as that rock and Tree that sprout up in the middle of the stage can stall a match for 30 seconds unnecessarily. Most often people will just wait it out. Obviously we cant use FoD for doubles, so it makes sense again to use Pokemon stadium, because with 4 players on the stage, there is less chance of camping and ridiculous wall shenanigans.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
yeah interfere as little as possile LOL

dude pokemon stadium can completely stall play for minutes because the situation for some characters to approach is so bad.

and i didnt say dk is better than fox on fd. fox is better than dk on any stage, it's characters not the stages when were talking about neutrals unlike corneria and gay *** stages jungle japes brinstar mute city
first line doesn't refute or even address any of my points properly.

you mean like 30 seconds. an average game (even on Stadium) takes 2-4 minutes. this is not an issue at all. the characters approaches being bad is not the stages fault, either, it's the characters. why is it so shocking that characters with better tools in the game should be able to win more easily?

and i never said that you said that. you need to read more. fox is better than dk on any stage, yes, but my point was that final destination is not the best stage for DK to pick against a Fox, even under these rules, and i don't think the same can be said about Doc either, which was your point (that FD is a good stage that gives many lower-tiered characters a chance against top tiers), which i was addressing.
That is exactly what happens though, a giant mountain comes out of the ground for 30 seconds. Just because you've played on the stage forever so it seems normal doesn't make the giant mountain coming out of nowhere less disruptive. You're just used to it.

We could also mention the windmill that comes out of the ground for 30 seconds and saves people all the time, the burnt up tree that comes out of the ground for 30 seconds (see giant mountain) or the fact that you will sometimes fall right through the stage for no apparent reason.

PS is legal in doubles because FoD suddenly has problems when you put 4 characters on the stage. It gets laggy. PS is better to have in the doubles striking list than FoD, whereas FoD is better to have in the singles striking list.
the disruptions aren't random or varying. if you pay attention to your surroundings (i.e. the huge ****ing screen in the background that flashes) they aren't even a big deal due to the random order they go in. the transformations take like 15 seconds which is definitely enough time to retreat to either side of the mountain/tree and wait it out. if this hurts some characters than this is a problem with the character, not the stage.

im not personally attacking anyone fyi.

D

Deleted member

wobbling is fine unless your tournament host considers it stalling. it's highly debated and in the end both sides end up with weak arguments since each person has his or her own idea of how to approach it. frankly, I think it should be banned as ****, but whatever.

PS is fine in doubles because you can just ignore a camper and gang-**** his teammate.

rpgfighter

Smash Journeyman
I agree with the rules. They all seem to work.

I still hate rainbow cruise though, and the sooner Fourside can get to counterpick status the better.

REAAAAAAAAAL TALK! XD

_Keno_

Smash Lord
i dont understand this step:
"Players may ban stages, 1 for each player. Losing player of the preceding match bans a stage, followed by the winning player banning a stage."

why should the loser ban first?
I would like to ask this too. Wouldn't it be better for the loser if the winner banned first? (on the off chance that they were both planning to ban the same stage)

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
This is a nice set of rules. I'm in the process of streamlining the rules for Brawl with top-level competition in mind, and I'm getting some resistance from some regions/players.

It's nice to see Melee showing the community what a real tournament ruleset is like.

pockyD

Smash Legend
i dont understand this step:
"Players may ban stages, 1 for each player. Losing player of the preceding match bans a stage, followed by the winning player banning a stage."

why should the loser ban first?
I would like to ask this too. Wouldn't it be better for the loser if the winner banned first? (on the off chance that they were both planning to ban the same stage)
I agree that this is more confusing than it has to be

I think step 4 should just be something like "The winning player bans a stage" and step 9 should be "repeat steps 4-8")

placing a stage ban that isn't relevant for the upcoming game (since it's your CP) is largely a waste of time; it's better and less confusing to ban the stage immediately before your opponents' decision so there's no confusion

The_Game

Smash Apprentice
These smash theory examples are a terrible way to justify your argument. This thread is already stupid. AND WHY CAN'T YOU GUYS QUOTE EACH OTHER SO YOUR ARGUMENTS POTENTIALLY MAKE ANY SENSE.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
No Stadium on random
No Corneria at all
... so... we're supporting Jigglypuffs?

Rainbow Cruise being on still throws me off. But oh well. nothing I say here will matter. just another one of the few expressing disappointment.

Skler

Smash Master
the disruptions aren't random or varying. if you pay attention to your surroundings (i.e. the huge ****ing screen in the background that flashes) they aren't even a big deal due to the random order they go in. the transformations take like 15 seconds which is definitely enough time to retreat to either side of the mountain/tree and wait it out. if this hurts some characters than this is a problem with the character, not the stage.
It isn't a problem of randomness (though which one comes up is random), it's a problem of massive changes to the stage that completely alter gameplay. FoD's extremely minor random changes are much better than the PS massive changes that are easily predicted.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
No Stadium on random
No Corneria at all

Rainbow Cruise being on still throws me off. But oh well. nothing I say here will matter. just another one of the few expressing disappointment.
green greens as well, but I think everybody saw that + jungle japes coming.

Sanu

Smash Champion
Do whatever you guys want, our EC Canadian tournaments will still be run with the previous, non-stagestriking, ruleset

^_^

Eggm

Smash Hero
My favorite part about the new rule set is stage striking. Anyone who knows me knows how much I hate CP stages so that's really saying something. I'm curious as to why some people are against stage striking? I cannot think of any reason to not like it other than maybe you don't understand it? You are like 80% of the time going to end up on a better stage vses your opponent for the matchup with stage striking than relying on the Random button.

I'm not trying to criticize or put people down who don't like stage striking I'm just really truly trying to understand your mindset if you could please share it with me, I'm interested.

HawaiianJigglyPuff

Smash Ace
No Stadium on random
No Corneria at all

Rainbow Cruise is a completely different stage from Poke Floats. (I'm not saying that you're saying that.) But for anyone who thinks that poke floats and rainbow are crap stages that should both go, they're very different. You can't really make the argument that the sides are small and the ceiling is low, therefore causing early deaths because it's all pretty even. (eg. whereas green greens is a LONG stage with short sides) If you can have dreamland where you get to live longer and it doesnt detract from the game, then you can have a small stage where you die earlier. As for the parts OFF the ship, there aren't many obstacles where you can get hit into and save your life.

...I mean, I really would need to hear evidence of why this stage sucks in the first place before I defend it because there isn't THAT much wrong with it. It doesn't TOTALLY give one character a huge advantage over everyone else, the way poke floats does for fox against slow characters, or mute city for jiggly and peach.

Also, Mute City was banned along with Corneria. It's not like Corneria was the only stage moved to banned.

Finally, you can't say oh PS is counterpick, the MBR hates fox, because that's NOT the reason that it was moved to counterpick. I personally don't like the move but at least I use logic in my arguments instead of accusing the mbr of favoring jiggly which is clearly not the intent of the moves of PS to counter and corneria to banned.

Btw, no direspect in my reply.

:]

I'm not trying to be an ***.

My favorite part about the new rule set is stage striking. Anyone who knows me knows how much I hate CP stages so that's really saying something. I'm curious as to why some people are against stage striking? I cannot think of any reason to not like it other than maybe you don't understand it? You are like 80% of the time going to end up on a better stage vses your opponent for the matchup with stage striking than relying on the Random button.

I'm not trying to criticize or put people down who don't like stage striking I'm just really truly trying to understand your mindset if you could please share it with me, I'm interested.
QFT

Smash Ace
Guys: the new stage striking system was proposed by Scar. Scar hates jigglypuff. He would probably be happy if every puff player got their eyes gouged out by angry pelicans. I very much doubt that he was motivated by a love of the puffball.

And really, I think that Falco at least benefits vs jiggly from stage striking, if not the counterpick stage list. I hated getting either FD or DL64 on random, and used to only be able to strike one (DL64 is by far the bigger problem). Short of me learning to DI (not happening) this is the best possible solution for me.

Note: I should learn to DI.

The counterpicking list, on the other hand... Jiggly loses Mute City, and I thought that Japes was pretty good for puff too (high ceiling, somewhat inhibited ground movement, easy gimps), but her two worst stages are gone. It's in her favor, but not passively.

EDIT: I meant NOT in her favor, and MASSIVELY not passively. The typos kinda amuse me so they stay.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
Also, Mute City was banned along with Corneria. It's not like Corneria was the only stage moved to banned.

Finally, you can't say oh PS is counterpick, the MBR hates fox, because that's NOT the reason that it was moved to counterpick. I personally don't like the move but at least I use logic in my arguments instead of accusing the mbr of favoring jiggly which is clearly not the intent of the moves of PS to counter and corneria to banned.

Btw, no direspect in my reply.

:]

I'm not trying to be an ***.
I know you're not being an *** : you're an intelligent poster, yo.

I was not completely serious saying we're supporting Jigglypuff, just saying that it's better news for Jiggs/Peach. I main Young Link : Stadium was our best stage and we're all a little choked up about it being gone.
I didn't say the MBR hates Fox, though I can see how that could get derived from what I meant. To clarify, I wasn't angry and talkin' **** about MBR, just my favorite stage is a CP now and I'm a wee bit sad, is all.

good point about Mute being banned as well. I hadn't thought much about it. That really does kind of equal out with Corneria being gone IMO

I only dislike Cruise because... it moves. I can't say it any simpler. I know it's my opinion and not facts about why it detracts from the game etc. Just how I feel on the stage.

I do like the concept of stage striking btw, I'm just one of the ones who would rather FoD or YS go instead of poor Stadium. But I really don't have ANYTHING to defend the 30 second mountain/tree lol.

HawaiianJigglyPuff

Smash Ace
I know you're not being an *** : you're an intelligent poster, yo.

I was not completely serious saying we're supporting Jigglypuff, just saying that it's better news for Jiggs/Peach. I main Young Link : Stadium was our best stage and we're all a little choked up about it being gone.
I didn't say the MBR hates Fox, though I can see how that could get derived from what I meant. To clarify, I wasn't angry and talkin' **** about MBR, just my favorite stage is a CP now and I'm a wee bit sad, is all.

good point about Mute being banned as well. I hadn't thought much about it. That really does kind of equal out with Corneria being gone IMO

I only dislike Cruise because... it moves. I can't say it any simpler. I know it's my opinion and not facts about why it detracts from the game etc. Just how I feel on the stage.

I do like the concept of stage striking btw, I'm just one of the ones who would rather FoD or YS go instead of poor Stadium. But I really don't have ANYTHING to defend the 30 second mountain/tree lol.
Yeah, I really dislike FoD. But I can see how the platforms moving up and down is not enough compared to stadium's tranformations.

Also, with regards to Cruise, I think it is totally a valid argument that because the stage moves the gameplay becomes completely different. In any other stage, you may run around or stay exactly where you. But with Rainbow Cruise, you have to constantly follow the stage and don't have the luxury of staying exactly where you are. It merely provides another aspect to the game which I enjoy.

But yeah, sucks that your best stage got moved. I guess that'd be like if Dreamland got moved for me.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
I think their latest list had a stand on wobbling being allowed. (Anyone against it should prove it´s broken, beat Armada/Mango/M2K with it at pound 4 if it´s too good lol)

So PS was removed due to stalling from the mountain, I guess that can be accepted when it´s rules that are against counterpicks =/

What is the mayor difference between poke floats and rainbow ride?, i´m quite curius^^

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Rainbow Cruise is less sporatic and campy. Floats lets you camp on whooper or whatever the hell that turquoise thing with the antenna ears is called and has no ledges + many points where your primary concern is not dying to the stage rather than fighting your opponent. It also has glitches where you just fall through the seal thingie and die.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
cruise and floats are pretty equally campy in my experience on the two of them

JPOBS

Smash Hero
The arguement about having your "best stage moved" to counterpick is dumb, because if you're playing an opponent, even on the old system where it was just one ban then random'd, you would never get to play on your char's best stage anyway because your oppoenent would ban it.

If the difference between you winning/losing a set was a 1/6 shot at your favorite stage being the first random (assuming your opponent didnt ban it based on your char selection) then you probably arent any good to begin with.

Ocho(*8*)

Smash Ace

Someone answer Eggm, I feel the same way.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
I know somebody who dislikes it. He says it ultimately takes away from the "variety" of the game; he thinks that fairness shouldn't really have any part in deciding the first match (and he's somewhat right), and he thinks that when there's stage striking, you and your opponent are pretty much just gonna eliminate the same stages all the time and will always play the same stage first.

Top Bottom