• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MBR Official Rule Set

IShouldBeStudying

Smash Apprentice
seems like any stage that promotes stalling has been demoted. (random -> cp -> banned)
FoD isn't random at all. It's like calling yoshi story's cloud random. It moves, yes, but it's not random. Just like the platforms on FoD.
As far as I know the stage changes on PS are random. (correct me if i'm wrong, but i've never seen a pattern.) Also, PS promotes stalling thus; demotion.

Tero.

Smash Champion
would change title to MBR Official Rule Set just so we are associated separately from Brawl.

special thanks to scar/hax for proposing a radically different rule set (no CPs) to keep our update in line. special thanks to tero for editing, skler for posting the rule set, plank for promoting the stage list for pound 4, and all of our current members for their work and voting participation.

special thanks to kevinM for stickying this ****. HINT HINT.
Good ****.
MBR is just to sexy.

Also this:

Get at us.

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
would change title to MBR Official Rule Set just so we are associated separately from Brawl.

special thanks to scar/hax for proposing a radically different rule set (no CPs) to keep our update in line. special thanks to tero for editing, skler for posting the rule set, plank for promoting the stage list for pound 4, and all of our current members for their work and voting participation.

special thanks to kevinM for stickying this ****. HINT HINT.
whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa wtf.

I've been saying that we should have no CP stages for like 3 years straight in the back room, and now all the credit goes to scar and hax? I've been supporting the no CP stage set since before their join dates this is some BS.

EDIT: Actually I just realized the whole reason why this thing started was because Hax made a topic. So what, Hax makes a topic about it and it deserves some actual attention but when I argued it for years back there in various topics i'm just some crazy guy with wacky ideas? Man what in the **** is up with that? How come no one ever listened to me before? Now Scar and Hax get all the credit that I deserve.

This is ridiculous. I'm salty as a maa' ****er up in here. I demand retribution. You know what I was thinking? My own title to reflect my forward thinking. Something like "XIF The Revolutionary" or something to that extent. Yeah. Get on that Umbreon. I deserve it.

Scar

#HarveyDent
good ruleset, i like the redwood CP system but i don't see why 1221 is necessary since 1 having port priority offsets p2 advantage of picking the stage

i'm not sure that 2 bans per player wouldn't be in order, especially if players can pick stages that they banned (which i don't see anything wrong with, it eliminates the necessity of an order in which bans should be done, avoiding those "what do you ban" "i asked you first" situations)

lol xif

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
i agree with xif and ive always been on your side mang.

we should seriously only play on fd if it was up to me

or at most fd fod and bf the three most neutral stages wether u ******s like it or not

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
i agree with xif and ive always been on your side mang.

we should seriously only play on fd if it was up to me

or at most fd fod and bf the three most neutral stages wether u ******s like it or not
Fox against Middle tier and lower on either Final or Battlefield doesn't seem too fair to me...

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
no its pretty fair

doc can cg fox dk can 0 to death fox the middle tiers have tools to win

whereas low tiers dont so they dont even matter

its the fairest method of all, counterpicking is totally derogatory to tournaments. it gives totally unfair advantages and makes **** longer than it has to be.

there can be no confusion with simplicity. most other games do it just fine

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
no its pretty fair

its the fairest method of all, counterpicking is totally derogatory to tournaments. it gives totally unfair advantages and makes **** longer than it has to be.

Most other games are radically different, I don't see Street Fighter having stage issues....haha

Doc's chaingrab doesn't matter when Fox has every other advantage he has against him...

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
yeah exactly which iswhy we just play the same ****ing stage over and over. its just fair.

thats why fox is top and doc is middle lol. dont blame the stage on the characters.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Other games allow you to change your character if you lose while forcing the winner to remain the same regardless.

pockyD

Smash Legend
yeah well we can do that if we pick random stage

which is fair imo
that's not part of the rules

nor does it even fit at all given the use of random vs the whole stage striking process

the only way i could see it fitting is you can change your character while locking your opponent's if you go back to the stage you just played... which is semi-interesting I suppose but I don't really like the whole character lock thing to begin with

D

Deleted member

XIF just pulled up to my house in a cab, bust down my door, ripped off my shirt, pinned me down, and **** on my face. GG.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
no its pretty fair

donkey kong's best stage against fox is not final destination. his best stage against falco is most definitely not final d, either.
this post is a bunch of ****, imo. most posts about stages coming from players who choose from the top 6 characters and propose this kind of stuff are also a bunch of ****.
stage lists shouldn't try to make things "fair," they should try to interfere as little as possible with competitive play while still avoiding banning a majority of the stages. the old stage list was legit, IMO.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
probably to the midwest.
touche sir

new rule set is legit, quit *****ing about FoD. It sucks, but you arent going to change the MBR mind by saying "man **** FoD" or "Man this one time the platforms messed up my 0 -> death combo" or any other mindless drivel you can spew out in a few seconds.

Scar

#HarveyDent
that's not part of the rules

nor does it even fit at all given the use of random vs the whole stage striking process

the only way i could see it fitting is you can change your character while locking your opponent's if you go back to the stage you just played... which is semi-interesting I suppose but I don't really like the whole character lock thing to begin with
well tbh i thought it was a countermeasure to someone only knowing one stage with a character and trying to beat the system that way

like when tec0 went mute city peach on me r3 when i was up 2-0 and then i cp'd his *** to random bc his peach is garbage but i lost anyways bc i bum rushed him bc i thought his peach was garbage but it turns out it's not awful

anyways this has always been my understanding of the rules but yeah it infrequently is listed as an actual rule so i guess it isn't an actual rule

HawaiianJigglyPuff

Smash Ace
stage lists shouldn't try to make things "fair," they should try to interfere as little as possible with competitive play while still avoiding banning a majority of the stages. the old stage list was legit, IMO.
I agree with this a lot. I liked the old stage list for the most part. There were a few stages I thought should not be on there. *cough*green greens*cough*
But I do think it's only fair that if you take Corneria out, you take out Mute City, and vice versa (which is probably how it went, seeing as how more people hate Mute City than Corneria).

like when tec0 went mute city peach on me r3 when i was up 2-0 and then i cp'd his *** to random bc his peach is garbage but i lost anyways bc i bum rushed him bc i thought his peach was garbage but it turns out it's not awful
rofl good **** Scar.

That's like 20 cents
Yeah, I was supposed to be writing a paper for my political science class when I wrote that...procrastination at its best.

also stage striking is for brawl players
I think stage striking is a great idea. But I think it was probably a better fit for when there were more counterpicks, but whatever.
When you have a character like Jigglypuff who can **** on Brinstar, KJ64, and Dreamland, if you get random Dreamland on the first one and Jiggly beats you, even if you win the second match, her arsenal is pretty loaded.
Here's a better example because I realized that one was ****ty.
There are a lot of stages in the neutrals that are good for Marth, for example YS and FD(edit:it certain match ups, of course). The odds are a lot better for the Marth to get a good stage in the random than some other character so it makes it a lot more fair to be able to stage strike. When a neutral stage gives a HEAVY advantage to another character in a match up, it's best to not leave it up to random, which is what I was trying to say with the Jigglypuff part.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
donkey kong's best stage against fox is not final destination. his best stage against falco is most definitely not final d, either.
this post is a bunch of ****, imo. most posts about stages coming from players who choose from the top 6 characters and propose this kind of stuff are also a bunch of ****.
yeah interfere as little as possile LOL

dude pokemon stadium can completely stall play for minutes because the situation for some characters to approach is so bad.

and i didnt say dk is better than fox on fd. fox is better than dk on any stage, it's characters not the stages when were talking about neutrals unlike corneria and gay *** stages jungle japes brinstar mute city

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Shameless plug. Come on.

The stage is ****. So is dreamland (totally changes match dynamics, why play a different ****ing game just because of the stage)?

so many **** stages. this isn't a party game the melee community is getting OLD and it will keep getting older we should keep it ****ing as legit as possible.

pockyD

Smash Legend
a giant mountain coming out of the ground doesn't interfere with a doubles match, but it does to a singles match?
who said it doesn't with a doubles match?

if you really believe what you're spouting, you should be trying to get it removed for doubles, not added for singles

bobson

Smash Lord
I wonder how many people argued that banning stages would cause a slippery slope back when the Melee ruleset was first being put together.

Who could've known how right they were.

HawaiianJigglyPuff

Smash Ace
Shameless plug. Come on.

The stage is ****. So is dreamland (totally changes match dynamics, why play a different ****ing game just because of the stage)?

so many **** stages. this isn't a party game the melee community is getting OLD and it will keep getting older we should keep it ****ing as legit as possible.
You're right, no items, fox only, final destination.

seriously

a giant mountain coming out of the ground for 30 seconds doesn't "interfere" with play?
When you frame it like that, you make Pokemon Stadium sound SOOOO terrible.

Skler

Smash Master
When you frame it like that, you make Pokemon Stadium sound SOOOO terrible.
That is exactly what happens though, a giant mountain comes out of the ground for 30 seconds. Just because you've played on the stage forever so it seems normal doesn't make the giant mountain coming out of nowhere less disruptive. You're just used to it.

We could also mention the windmill that comes out of the ground for 30 seconds and saves people all the time, the burnt up tree that comes out of the ground for 30 seconds (see giant mountain) or the fact that you will sometimes fall right through the stage for no apparent reason.

PS is legal in doubles because FoD suddenly has problems when you put 4 characters on the stage. It gets laggy. PS is better to have in the doubles striking list than FoD, whereas FoD is better to have in the singles striking list.

Top Bottom