• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-Up Chart (Outdated); please refer to the new chart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

N64

Smash Champion
Top level fox wrecks pikachu. Not as much as top level sheik, but it's still probably one of his hardest matchups. Pika can combo/gimp fox pretty decently, but he has very limited setups that are usually easy to avoid, while his setups on pikachu are pretty simple and effective. If fox knows the matchup, it's rough.

unknown522

Some guy
Top level fox wrecks pikachu. Not as much as top level sheik, but it's still probably one of his hardest matchups. Pika can combo/gimp fox pretty decently, but he has very limited setups that are usually easy to avoid, while his setups on pikachu are pretty simple and effective. If fox knows the matchup, it's rough.
yes. I agree.

N64

Smash Champion
Meh. Sheik >>> Pika is fine then. I'm biased about the matchup heh.

Also Pika can wreck sheiks too with the right setup. Like there are legit combos on her and her recovery is terrible (think fox edgeguarding sheik but now he has a slightly more powerful usmash and thunder to punish her getting back on the stage).

unknown522

Some guy
lol tell that to reno.
lol, I remember that ****.

True that. At least Pika can wreck Fox's world if she manages to get a grab.
yeah, pika can do good **** to fox when he lands a solid hit. He can also beat out most character's moves with u-airs, but the amount of gayness that fox and sheik do to pika is just so ridiculous.

Meh. Sheik >>> Pika is fine then. I'm biased about the matchup heh.

Also Pika can wreck sheiks too with the right setup. Like there are legit combos on her and her recovery is terrible (think fox edgeguarding sheik but now he has a slightly more powerful usmash and thunder to punish her getting back on the stage).
Everyone edgeguards sheik pretty well, but the problem is getting her off. It feels so satasfying to u-smash sheik with pika though. Gotta grunt at her with fury.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Some Agreement:
Bowser > Yoshi to Bowser = Yoshi
Doc = DK to Doc > DK
Doc >> Pikachu to Doc > Pikachu
Fox > Jigglypuff to Fox = Jigglypuff
Ganon >> Samus to Ganon > Samus
ICs = Doc to ICs > Doc
Mario = DK to Mario > DK
Peach = Falco to Peach > Falco
Peach > Y.Link to Peach = Y.Link
Sheik >> Pikachu to Sheik >>> Pikachu
Yoshi > Kirby to Yoshi = Kirby

Debating:
Doc >> Kirby to Doc >>> Kirby
Doc >> Roy to Doc >>> Roy
Falco > Doc to Falco = Doc
Falco >>> Link to Falco >> Link
Falcon >>> Link to Falcon >> Link
Falcon >>> Kirby to Falcon >> Kirby
Fox > Doc to Fox = Doc
Fox >> Luigi to Fox > Luigi
Fox > Samus to Fox = Samus
Fox >> Y.Link to Fox >>> Y.Link
Ganon >>> Kirby to Ganon >> Kirby
Jigglypuff > Doc to Jigglypuff = Doc
Jigglypuff >> Luigi to Jigglypuff > Luigi
Jigglypuff >> Mario to Jigglypuff > Mario
Jigglypuff = Peach to Jigglypuff > Peach
Jigglypuff >>> Yoshi to Jigglypuff >> Yoshi
Link > Y.Link to Link = Y.Link
Mario >> Mewtwo to Mario > Mewtwo
Mario >> Pikachu to Pikachu > Mario
Mario = Samus to Mario > Samus
Mario >> Y.Link to Mario > Y.Link
Marth > Jigglypuff to Marth = Jigglypuff
Marth >> Mario to Marth > Mario
Marth >> Yoshi to Marth > Yoshi
Mewtwo > Yoshi to Mewtwo = Yoshi
Peach >>> Yoshi to Peach >> Yoshi
Pikachu >> Mewtwo to Pikachu > Mewtwo
Pikachu > Yoshi to Pikachu = Yoshi
Pikachu >> Zelda to Pikachu > Zelda
Sheik > Peach to Sheik = Peach
Y.Link >> Yoshi to Y.Link > Yoshi
Yoshi = Pichu to Yoshi >> Pichu
Yoshi = Roy to Yoshi > Roy

Mmm, I'm not sure if Sheik/Pika is as bad as >>>. One thing though is Mario >> Pikachu seems a bit funny. Would you consider Marth/Fox being equally difficult as Mario to face using Pikachu?

And can we still get some ideas about "Debating" stuff? =P

N64

Smash Champion
One thing though is Mario >> Pikachu seems a bit funny. Would you consider Marth/Fox being equally difficult as Mario to face using Pikachu?
Yes, relatively. Mario can chainthrow -> fsmash (or usmash if you refuse to DI away). He can CC->dsmash, jab->dsmash or grab. His utilt covers a lot of options, he can cape your recovery, his aerials do alright against you (though he should spend most of the time on the ground).

And pika can't combo him with anything notable. Mario indeed might be worse for pika than fox is.

And i'm still of the opinion that Doc >> Pika as well btw. All the reasons above, plus dthrow->fair at 90-120%ish. If their recoveries were better the Marios would be as bad if not worse than sheik.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
And 'mind explaining your thoughts on Zelda? I'd like to know what Zelda has against Pikachu, besides kicking. I'd also imagine Pikachu's USmash would be helpful with Zelda's lack of mobility.

ahhh idk why i click this thread i hate it so much D:
D:

N64

Smash Champion
It's mostly the kick. If you hit zelda's shield with just about anything she gets to kick you. Pika has to get pretty close to his opponent to start anything, and he doesn't really have any safe approaches against her, so it's all about maneuvering around her and trying to catch her out of shield. Even then you can't do much more than 1-2 hits, zelda's too floaty for most combos.

Everything else you do well on pretty much. You're way more mobile than her, usmash is super scary (though again if she shields it's a free fair/bair oos), uair spikes can really hurt her linear recovery, etc.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Fox/Samus:

Hugs via PM said:
The match up is 50/50.

And I say this because it differs in three ways.

If neither character knows the match up, then it is based on who the better player is.

If just the Samus knows the match up, the Samus will usually win, no matter how much better the Fox is.

If the Fox knows the match up, the Fox will usually win, no matter how much better the Samus is.

If both players know the matchup equally well, the fox/samus will trade, unless there is a significant skill gap.

All the signs of a 50/50 matchup IMO.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
That was a really weak post from Hugs. I am sure he has a lot more insight on the match-up, considering how long he's been around, and how great of a samus he has. He basically said nothing right there, and if he wasn't Hugs, that post would be worth nothing.

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
That was a really weak post from Hugs. I am sure he has a lot more insight on the match-up, considering how long he's been around, and how great of a samus he has. He basically said nothing right there, and if he wasn't Hugs, that post would be worth nothing.
Agreed, you can't really breakdown a match-up with a vague post like that. Those rules USUALLY come into play in any match-up.

HugS™

Smash Lord
Lol it was a quick response to a pm. I had to run. Ill give u all more insight later

HugS™

Smash Lord
Wait I'm reading this chart, my ideas on match ups are way off.

Are these match ups based on the metagame of character vs another character of equal skill? Or are both characters at their metagame? What's it based on?

Cuz I'd have Samus at a slight advantage vs Falco, Falcon, Peach, Doc

A slight disadvantage vs jiggs/ganon

And a disadvantage vs Marth/Sheik

So i mean, what are we going with?

Fletch

Smash Master
Wait I'm reading this chart, my ideas on match ups are way off.

Are these match ups based on the metagame of character vs another character of equal skill? Or are both characters at their metagame? What's it based on?

Cuz I'd have Samus at a slight advantage vs Falco, Falcon, Peach, Doc

A slight disadvantage vs jiggs/ganon

And a disadvantage vs Marth/Sheik

So i mean, what are we going with?
It's supposed to be both characters at the top of the metagame. Maybe you could write a more in-depth look into Samus's matchups?

HugS™

Smash Lord
I'll simply go by my experience on a few match ups before I have to head out again. People usually just chime in with "well it's HugS, not Samus, otherwise Samus gets *****" which is why I refrain from posting any kind of opinions I have on match ups.

Anyways.

I believe Samus has a slight advantage on Falco. It's so hard to describe why some matches are advantageous since there is so much that goes into a match. So in the interest of communication, I'll break the matchup down into 3 crucial categories:

1. Defense
2. Offense
3. Edge game

Samus effectively shuts down Falco's offensive game with her defensive game. I'll assume that the prevention of your opponent's offense is the main purpose of a good defense. Simply put, Samus's upB out of shield stops most any effective approach Falco has in any other match up. The Falco can only hope to be able to trick the samus into mis-timing or mis-using her upB. These are artificial ways of dealing with the situation IMO, as tricks run thin. You can play rock paper scissors with a good samus and hope she can't figure out when you're grabbing/attacking. Any attack will be beaten.

If you do manage to get that first hit in, Samus has her passive defense, which involves her inability to be combo'd very well. Not that it's flawless, but it helps make this portion of the match up go into her favor.

Defense Adavntage - Samus

Offense - Clearly, falco has a better offense. He can overwhelm most any character. Samus's offense isn't the greatest, but it's better than Falco's defense. And if Falco's Defense has 1 purpose, it's to stop Samus's offense, and it won't be able to do that. Missiles aid in the approach, and once Samus is in there, it becomes a matter of outranging Falco and being able to quickly switch to defensive mode if needed. The main factor that puts this slightly in Samus's favor (IMO) is falco's ability to be combo'd. Which means that Samus need break through falco's defense only once to possibly end his stock. And if the falco is camping, Samus can close in with missiles, break through lasers with a wavedash - tilt and catch falco only once to tie up the damage, or take the stock. This is all hard, mind you, which is why most people don't even consider this an advantage for Samus. Either way, it's only a slight advantage to either no matter how you look at it.

Offense - Slight Advantage for either Falco/Samus,

3. Edge Game - It's no surprise that falco has a shoddy recovery. It's also no surprise that Samus has one of the best. So this part of the Edgegame clearly goes to Samus.

As far as edgeguarding goes, that requires some analysis. I'd have to give Samus the advantage on this one. Samus has an amazing edgeguard coupled with the fact that Falco has a terrible recovery. Limiting his options is cake. If he side-B's, ftilt. If he up B's from below, utilt. If you don't know where he's going, shoot a missile/shot to make him go where you want, then commence with the process. Falco on the other hand, must keep track of all her options. First he must get rid of the grapple, then he must stop a sweet spot, which ain't gonna happen if the Samus sweetspots perfectly. And if the falco grabs the ledge, you should still have your jump to get in anyways. This on top of the fact that's there's no distance samus can't come back from means that Samus doesn't die from falco edgeguards.

3. Advantage - Samus

So I hope that helps explain why I feel Samus has the slight advantage over falco. I don't have more time to write about other characters atm. And I could probably delve into Samus vs Falco even more, but I think this is enough.

And FYI Fletch, your sig is dumb. You can employ patient thinking/predicting in checkers or chess, the main difference between the two games is the amount of options, and chess, like Melee, most definitely delivers more options.

Fletch

Smash Master
I'll simply go by my experience on a few match ups before I have to head out again. People usually just chime in with "well it's HugS, not Samus, otherwise Samus gets *****" which is why I refrain from posting any kind of opinions I have on match ups.

Anyways.

I believe Samus has a slight advantage on Falco. It's so hard to describe why some matches are advantageous since there is so much that goes into a match. So in the interest of communication, I'll break the matchup down into 3 crucial categories:

1. Defense
2. Offense
3. Edge game

Samus effectively shuts down Falco's offensive game with her defensive game. I'll assume that the prevention of your opponent's offense is the main purpose of a good defense. Simply put, Samus's upB out of shield stops most any effective approach Falco has in any other match up. The Falco can only hope to be able to trick the samus into mis-timing or mis-using her upB. These are artificial ways of dealing with the situation IMO, as tricks run thin. You can play rock paper scissors with a good samus and hope she can't figure out when you're grabbing/attacking. Any attack will be beaten.

If you do manage to get that first hit in, Samus has her passive defense, which involves her inability to be combo'd very well. Not that it's flawless, but it helps make this portion of the match up go into her favor.

Defense Adavntage - Samus

Offense - Clearly, falco has a better offense. He can overwhelm most any character. Samus's offense isn't the greatest, but it's better than Falco's defense. And if Falco's Defense has 1 purpose, it's to stop Samus's offense, and it won't be able to do that. Missiles aid in the approach, and once Samus is in there, it becomes a matter of outranging Falco and being able to quickly switch to defensive mode if needed. The main factor that puts this slightly in Samus's favor (IMO) is falco's ability to be combo'd. Which means that Samus need break through falco's defense only once to possibly end his stock. And if the falco is camping, Samus can close in with missiles, break through lasers with a wavedash - tilt and catch falco only once to tie up the damage, or take the stock. This is all hard, mind you, which is why most people don't even consider this an advantage for Samus. Either way, it's only a slight advantage to either no matter how you look at it.

Offense - Slight Advantage for either Falco/Samus,

3. Edge Game - It's no surprise that falco has a shoddy recovery. It's also no surprise that Samus has one of the best. So this part of the Edgegame clearly goes to Samus.

As far as edgeguarding goes, that requires some analysis. I'd have to give Samus the advantage on this one. Samus has an amazing edgeguard coupled with the fact that Falco has a terrible recovery. Limiting his options is cake. If he side-B's, ftilt. If he up B's from below, utilt. If you don't know where he's going, shoot a missile/shot to make him go where you want, then commence with the process. Falco on the other hand, must keep track of all her options. First he must get rid of the grapple, then he must stop a sweet spot, which ain't gonna happen if the Samus sweetspots perfectly. And if the falco grabs the ledge, you should still have your jump to get in anyways. This on top of the fact that's there's no distance samus can't come back from means that Samus doesn't die from falco edgeguards.

3. Advantage - Samus

So I hope that helps explain why I feel Samus has the slight advantage over falco. I don't have more time to write about other characters atm. And I could probably delve into Samus vs Falco even more, but I think this is enough.

And FYI Fletch, your sig is dumb. You can employ patient thinking/predicting in checkers or chess, the main difference between the two games is the amount of options, and chess, like Melee, most definitely delivers more options.
Thank you, agree totally. And I quoted that in my sig because it was so stupid, not because I agree with it haha.

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
Peach / Ice Climbers
Sheik / Falcon

Sheik is not easy to combo and kill for Falcon.
Up throw knee after 80% seems pretty easy, also punishing the landing lag of Vanish if by some chance he's hogging you....
Ice Climbers aren't too common, compared to the rest of the "upper class"

h!tboxexplo!ter

Smash Ace
it's not as bad as some people think....
Sheik is easy for him to combo and kill.
Also that match on Final, Stadium, and Cruise is not a cake walk.
1)its actually exactly as bad as everyone thinks.... both sides agree on the matter (roughy 70-30)
2)provided that he is not being combo'd, getting hit with needles, or being ftilted. we combo better and have a MUCH better defense vs his
3)final=25% chance..... to get techchased reallllllllly effortlessly
stadium= cp
cruise=cp (also i sincerely doubt this is good for falcon but w.e)
you actully forgot falcons best cp stage but u can figure that one out

Up throw knee after 80% seems pretty easy"
thats a joke right?
also punishing the landing lag of Vanish if by some chance he's hogging you....
"
congratulations falcon can punish, welcome to melee. most falcons cant even return after a sheik is edgeguarding them (can happen at stupid low %'s too)

HugS™

Smash Lord
Thank you, agree totally. And I quoted that in my sig because it was so stupid, not because I agree with it haha.
Oh lol, my mistake. I didn't think a melee player in the melee discussion would be agreeing with it. haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom