• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Master and Apprentice: The Game

SummonerAU

Smash Lord
After a 5 hour trip with only my thoughts, music and the sounds of a screaming child, I was pondering the situation of 'top' players tending to focus on playing other 'top' players. While this makes complete sense, it doesn't distribute experience to the everyone in the scene. So, while the 'top' players grow better off each other, the other players miss out on experience.

(Yeah yeah, this might not be the case the 'x' person or even 'y' person, but who cares, THIS WILL BE FUN. FUN.:mad:)

ANYWAY.

I thought of possible ways to distribute this experience more evenly across a region and thus improve the region's skill level. I came up with a smash apprentice system.

Here's how it works:

'x' top player and 'y' other player are linked together by a Master and Apprentice bond. The Master is suppose to train and make the apprentice better. To make things interesting, for each team, both players pay a certain amount of money. After a certain amount of time for training, a tournament is held among apprentices. The apprentice who wins gets the money which is shared with his Master.

A POSSIBLE EXTENSION IDEA:
The apprentice who wins the tournament gains the status of journeyman. The journeyman is the free of the team and is free to do whatever he wants to train. The Masters later meet to discuss if the journeyman is ready to become a Master yet. The journeyman gets a gap before he is demoted back to apprentice and can be teamed with a Master again.

Thoughts, ideas, hate?

Toby.

Smash Master
Can I be an apprentice?

Edit: Sounds fun, but the idea that any of us could be masters feels a bit farfetched. Also big headed. None of us are particularly amazing.

Although "Pretty Good Player and Slightly Worse Player: The Game" doesn't sound very catchy.

S.D

Smash Master
It is sort of true that the better players tend to play a lot amongst themselves, but I also think that you'll find most of them more than willing to play some games and give out advice should you ask.

D0N

Smash Ace
What S.D said. Also, you have to actually ask for advice too. People may not want to come off as elitist jerks if they don't know the person too well or are not on a somewhat personal level of friendship.

swordsaint

Smash Master
yeah, it's not about getting cocky, it's about the higher australian ranked players giving better practice to the underachievers with potential to further EVERYONES GAME. With more top players, everyone is scared about everyone, people improve quicker

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Do masters get command seals?
Hmm, if only the holy grail would give me unlimited skill works.

cbf'd to be honest.
Yeah there's a tendancy for the good players to play the other good players; there's a bit of reason why.

1. Boredom (interprit as you will)
2. Older people are BETTAR (brainzzzzzzzzzz), can stay up to like 4am, and don't have evil parents. Hell, CAO is like 50 and is the best and most awesome player ever.
3. Locations -
Hey Toby, I'm not busy, wanna come over in 20 minutes?
"SURE BUDDY, ILL BE THERE IN 5 SECONDS"
4. Knowledge -
The good players by chance generally have a very well rounded skill in brawl (i.e. fundamentals) or smash, or have put the effort into reading and understanding things. Whilst not universally true, it's rare to not find a top brawl player who doesn't know everything about their character and doesn't live (or lurk) on their respective mains boards.

Solutions to the 4 problems
1. Get better.
2. Get older. FASTER
3. Move to civilisation or get a car, or be cool enough to show up at 1am like a true pro.
4. Find a main, start advancing your metagamez, or get AIM and talk to mew2king.

But seriously, anyone who asks me something I'll answer, or if you actually KNOW HOW TO PLAY THE GAME ill be like "yeah stop rolling". The better players get better because they KNOW HOW TO PLAY THE GAME, and they know how to pinpoint weaknesses of OTHER GOOD PLAYERS and if they're nice will help out by either telling you your weakness, or ****** you for it until you figure it out.

SummonerAU

Smash Lord
How about this then. A critique thread for people. A person posts asking for tips and then people reply.

Sure is less exciting than the original post but people seem to be lazy.

Siyro

Smash Journeyman
... you bring up good points Shaya... But it is just for fun if people decide to bother with it at all. Some people semi do it anyway.

Like if I wanted to really learn something I'd just ask. Cause I know most people would just tell you/show you.

Anyway, cause I'm bored at the moment... CAO would be an awesome Master I think

Toby.

Smash Master
"Don't play MK"

*1 seal disappears*
This was an excellent post.

Edit: I think this would be great if good players won't so lazy.

Maybe a critque thread would be better...but imo threads are inferior to actually talking to somebody about their game 1 on 1. Meh. I prefer the original idea, but it would be too much effort for most people.

and lol shaya. I'll be there soon kay?

I LAG

Smash Lord
i think this is a good idea and a bad idea
at teds tourney the only person i played who made the top 8 was don, i spent most of my time playing gopo and shrimp rock.

tedeth

Smash Master
I think it's not a bad concept. It might help people get better...

The fundamental flaw is this. Good players don't start out good. They get good through both practicing the game and understanding theory about the game. If the "apprentices" didn't have a drive to do that before, I don't know how helpful this could be to them.

Anyway, doesn't this idea already exist with Luke and the entire ACT community? :)

Also, if anyone wants to learn something from a pro-slayer, come to my meets. :p

S.D

Smash Master
A critique thread you say Toby?

Not at all a bad idea. If a few people have videos of themselves to put up it certainly wouldn't hurt.

Toby.

Smash Master
Almost every critique thread I've seen in every character board has been a massive failure. You get a couple opinionated noobs and one or two good players at most. Everyone also has an opinion on how their character should be played.

The thread would probably focus on bad habits, any patterns we can see that should be avoided, stage control, etc.

That sort of critique is far more useful imo, and most boards don't touch it. The fact that we use a variety of characters and often won't be maining the character in question actually helps, imo.

tibs7

Smash Champion
ILAG main diddy so i can teach you the awesomeness. ADHD beat m2k and ally. diddy is best in the game.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
The fundamental flaw is this. Good players don't start out good. They get good through both practicing the game and understanding theory about the game. If the "apprentices" didn't have a drive to do that before, I don't know how helpful this could be to them.
You're right, but from what I understand Summoner isn't trying to replace how we improve or give "apprentices" a motivator, but rather just propose a method of speeding up the actual improvement. If the "apprentices" didn't have a motivator to begin with, I doubt they'd even be reading this thread. :p

More than anything I like the social aspect of the idea. It's the perfect icebreaker for meeting or getting to know people better/worse than yourself, because you're just shy or intimidated or whatever. As an example, Shaya and I get along when we do interact (I think?), but we hardly ever interact. No particular reason; we just don't. This could be helpful in that regard. I can also see many many impromptu meets spawning from this, what with all the "COME TO MY PLACE AND I'LL JUST SHOW YOU" potential, which is only a good thing (moar meetz YHESZ). It's also more personal than, say, a character board's local help thread, because you actually KNOW the person and can talk to them face to face.

AWESOME for social ******* like me. :D

Also Shaya I wasn't joking, be my Master, I need someone to actually play Smash 64 with. >:

Browny

Smash Hater
Hmmmm, I dont think bringing money into the equation will help at all. I would have thought all good players would help anyone who asks, practice :/ The idea is pretty cool, obviously it would be a bit hard to balance as not all apprentices are going to be starting on the same skill level, have as good 'mentors' or be able to play often lol. Still, apprentice tourney sounds good :p

In the meantime, allow me to direct peoples attention to this thread

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=232380
and specifically, this post
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=8200523#post8200523

Browny

Smash Hater
Wow... I cant believe someone would see that in the tag. seriously wtf

its (db]], representing a bullet, by the way

Nixernator

Smash Ace
Also Shaya I wasn't joking, be my Master, I need someone to actually play Smash 64 with. >:
Come down to Melb and I'll play with you =).

Also so much lulz I never saw that in your sig DJ, hahaha Gopo is too pro.

Lastly I like this idea we need as good a scene as we can get.
(Be my mentor Zero plox).

gopobox

Smash Journeyman
@DJBrowny

I can see the bullet but last time a remembered, bullets didnt have bumps coming out from the sides ^^

BTW can i ask. Does anyone in NSW use kirby?

Top Bottom