• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth FAQ: Have a question? It may already be answered in THIS topic!

∫unk

Smash Master
So just to clear up the answer to my question, they are chaingrabs, correct? Even if you can only get 2-4 throws?
Yes.

Fire Blazer said:
It's being able to avoid these kind of mind games the majority of the time that makes players even better, IMO... i.e. to say, I've never found somebody who uses mindgames to charge smash attacks and get very far in a tourney... Not to say it isn't useful, either. xP

Anyway, back to teh question^^
That's cause they're not using mindgames they're just charging smashes. You obviously don't know what you're talking about. There's videos of great players getting off charge smashes on each other.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
So just to clear up the answer to my question, they are chaingrabs, correct? Even if you can only get 2-4 throws?

It's being able to avoid these kind of mind games the majority of the time that makes players even better, IMO... i.e. to say, I've never found somebody who uses mindgames to charge smash attacks and get very far in a tourney... Not to say it isn't useful, either. xP

Anyway, back to teh question^^
Yes he has a chain grab nonetheless. And then you should watch some more vids, if you can successfully predict your opponent, charged smashes can be easily used, however sparringly.

takeurlife2

Smash Ace
so apparently mike haze can grab falco out of his sideB

anyone know what frame this is on? or like, what part of the animation you grab on? this can make the matchup MUCH easier, seeing as 99% of the damage i get from falco is from phantasm.

or anyone have tips on timing the jab that interrupts phantasm? i get it only around 40% of the time -.-

takeurlife2

Smash Ace
It'd take some testing and re-watching the vid, what match is it Take?
i havent found a vid, sethlon told me about it from when he travelled to cali recently.

all i know is he grabbed seth in the middle of phantasm, not the beginning before it starts, and not at the end after falco starts falling.

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
I assume whoever grabs, will take the phantasm damage and then the grab will occur? Similar if you grab while your being hit by a move on the same frame.

Phantasm has poor priority and grabs have insane priority, so it must of been just timing and experience.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
I assume whoever grabs, will take the phantasm damage and then the grab will occur? Similar if you grab while your being hit by a move on the same frame.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4TaJd8uwWg
0:25. Marth doesn't take any damage. But I would guess it's because grab range extends out beyond your hurtbox where as phantasm your hitbox is pretty much your hurtbox. So basically, you're grabbing them with insane timing before they touch you >>

Denzi

Smash Master
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4TaJd8uwWg
0:25. Marth doesn't take any damage. But I would guess it's because grab range extends out beyond your hurtbox where as phantasm your hitbox is pretty much your hurtbox. So basically, you're grabbing them with insane timing before they touch you >>
It's not your grab range that allows you to grab Falco. Any character can do it, it just: 1. requires pretty much exact timing and 2. has to be during the seccond half of the Phantasm (iirc).

Just so you know, if you're on the very edge and you GR falco as you would a Snake, it's a gaurenteed kill as long as you time your ledgehog correctly.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
But on the other hand, fthrow to fthrow to nair to usmash to fair on falco is so useful that the matchup should be like 90:10 in Marth's favour. Screw the dair crap.

LOL10AIRDODGES.

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
is that even 100 percent guaranteed?

shaya trying to out do my kadaj combos
Sorry to end the party but...Kadaj, your combo (fthrow to nair to fsmash?) was done by Royr like way before you started talking about it. I MIGHT AND PROBABLY AM WRONG, but w/e. :)

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
If you FF a fair, you can't also combo a FFUair, ever, on any character at any percent. Course, if your opponent doesn't DI/still gets hit by it, it's glorious.
True. But when has there ever been any 3 or more move combos that aren't related to tripping?

The main goal is to get the uair to upsmash, which is 30%. Marth's most reliable ways to force something like this at low percents is via throwing + good reading.

And ughh I didnt mean ff fair. You're doing the upair before you reach the ground straight after the fair.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
True. But when has there ever been any 3 or more move combos that aren't related to tripping?

The main goal is to get the uair to upsmash, which is 30%. Marth's most reliable ways to force something like this at low percents is via throwing + good reading.

And ughh I didnt mean ff fair. You're doing the upair before you reach the ground straight after the fair.
In that case, you're talking about something I attempt every once in a while. As you probably know, I'm very fond of Fair to Uair, and just auto-canceled Uair in general.

jibbyjaont

Smash Journeyman
Sorry if this has been answered, but is footstool to spike a reliable tactic?

EDIT: Lol I thought I was in the Q&A section too.

Bakithi

Smash Apprentice
Very nice guide. I shall recommend this to all my friends who want to start using Marth... I'm a step closer to being a good Marth user, thanks to you, Shaya. :D

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Shaya, I beg you to add a fugging mini-guide on how to spike with Marth. I'm so sick of those topics.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Top Bottom