• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Man it's quiet in here

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Oh alright, i was actually thinking about switching to doc because hes a bit better.... but idk.
pfft. Doc > Mario is nothing but flat out opinion. It comes down to what you want.

Doc can kill stuff easy(ier) than mario. Much easier. But mario can combo the living daylights outta half the cast in the game.

Mario's recovery is better.

And although people swear up and down that mario is "faster than doc", he only has (i think) 3 moves with 1 or 2 less recovery frames on l-cancel (yes i've looked this up plenty of times cause i get tired of people making this bs arguement.)

Mario's f.smash can reach people, but doc's will do full knockback everytime it hits.

Mario's u.smash doesnt care where you are, you're going flying. Doc's u.smash will kill if the opponent is in the air, but it's a launcher when they're on the ground.

Mario's u.air is amazing. Doc's u.air is amazing lite.

For practical purposes, their nairs are the same. Doc's gets stronger the longer it's out there, but if you want to float out that long and have the nair out that long, you're asking to get annhilated.

Mario has the up+b glitch, doc has the up+b cancel.

There's some difference between their cape hitboxes, they both do the same thing.

[/mariovsdocrant]

So yeah. Say doc is better if you want to believe it, it's opinion.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Oh, as for the video. (YEAH IM DOUBLE POSTING >.>)

You roll too much, more specifically rolilng behind someone. It doenst look so bad if you dont get punished, but after TRYING it the first time on somebody, you'll probably get punished everytime.

Next, you dont space yourself well with fireballs, such as you'll throw a fireball and land right next to your opponent. Just like pills, if you do that, you're asking to get grabbed. If you do it at low percents and it hits them, you're still asking to get grabbed. Fireballs arent lasers, you CANNOT land next to people like that unless you're covering wakeups.

I guess you could upthrow roy at 0% instead of dthrow, but why u.air? Mario's u.tilt is so amazing, you can get a few hits before they DI away, and THEN follow with u.airs (or d.air like $mac would want to say. >.>)

Ok, you started spacing yourself away from your fireballs, good job. (And lol your friend needs to DI better. Bairs dont kill anybody off the side.)

Whenever you get knocked in the air, you like to float around too much. There is nothing on gods green earth that is going to save you while you float like that (unless you're fighting pichu, and even then it's still a dangerous game. XD). THIS IS NOT BRAWL, YOU MUST RECOVER!

You also like to double jump alot of your aerials. That gives me the impression that you either 1) play a character who DjCs, or 2) play a character that benefits from their double jump height for aerials. Mario is neither. Throw in your sub-par recovery and lack of recovery options, and when you get hit out of your doublejump, you'll get gimped.

You're using alot of aerials which is good, but we need more fastfall. The only exception is when you're doing SHBAWDs or some variation of d.airs. If you aerial, hit and shield, and dont fast fall, you give your opponent much more time to grab you out of the air (or u.smash if it's a fox)

Good job not getting off the ledge for roy. It woulda been safer to reset once and make sure you had invincibility, but you got the job done, right?

Wow, the recovery on your 2nd stock was terrible. No offense, but i dunno how else to describe it. Again, dont sit there floating around, especially if you're going to throw away ALL of your recovery options, just fall to the ledge or get back on the stage and actually LOOK to see if your opponent is going to come out at you. It would have even been ok to throw a fireball and go for the ledge.

Nice try at reverse caping roy there.

Annnnnnd you need to space yourself out better with aerials. If you're going to fall down onto somebody's shield (and float down), the least you can do is hit and then move away so you dont get shieldgrabbed. You'll love it, trust me. :)

Last thing im thinking is you definitely need to JC grab. Dashing grab has too much lag, and mario has stubby arms so you get no real range bonus from it.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
true...though that's just because of having to wait >_>
Nu-uhh. Just wait when Brawl comes out, we're still going to keep playing Melee. In Germany we still have too many people that have already made their vows to stay with Melee. Also, Amsah hates Brawl, and since we all adore Amsah.....

pfft. Doc > Mario is nothing but flat out opinion. It comes down to what you want.

Doc can kill stuff easy(ier) than mario. Much easier. But mario can combo the living daylights outta half the cast in the game.

And although people swear up and down that mario is "faster than doc", he only has (i think) 3 moves with 1 or 2 less recovery frames on l-cancel (yes i've looked this up plenty of times cause i get tired of people making this bs arguement.)

Mario's f.smash can reach people, but doc's will do full knockback everytime it hits.

Mario's u.smash doesnt care where you are, you're going flying. Doc's u.smash will kill if the opponent is in the air, but it's a launcher when they're on the ground.

For practical purposes, their nairs are the same. Doc's gets stronger the longer it's out there, but if you want to float out that long and have the nair out that long, you're asking to get annhilated.

There's some difference between their cape hitboxes, they both do the same thing.

[/mariovsdocrant]

Also, Mario can Scarjump while Doc, lacking a wall jump, cannot.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
you would say that XD

um, @ WoA, whats scar jump? If it's where you upB to walljump...I think dogy mentioned it. If not, I'd wanna know what it is >_>

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
um, @ WoA, whats scar jump? If it's where you upB to walljump...I think dogy mentioned it. If not, I'd wanna know what it is >_>
no, it's basically just walljumping an aerial, and scar (captain falcon player) named it after himself because that's what people like to do now-a-day.

if u.air edgeguarding is so important with mario, than whatever. Cause i'll be ****ed if i worry about a mario f.air edgeguarding me with that. XD

Neverender

Smash Journeyman

[/mariovsdocrant]

Thanks. But i think i will stick to mario mainly because of the better u-air and recovery. But hey i like both of em...Just normal mario a bit more.:)

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Thanks. But i think i will stick to mario mainly because of the better u-air and recovery. But hey i like both of em...Just normal mario a bit more.:)
again, there's nothing wrong with that. Cant fault you at all. I'd be more willing to play mario if it wasnt for the fact that when i hit somebody with my FORWARD air i am implying that i want them to go FORWARD.

.... but the cat mario combo is too amazing by itself (f.air, f.air, f.air, f.air, f.air, etc)

Neverender

Smash Journeyman
again, there's nothing wrong with that. Cant fault you at all. I'd be more willing to play mario if it wasnt for the fact that when i hit somebody with my FORWARD air i am implying that i want them to go FORWARD.

.... but the cat mario combo is too amazing by itself (f.air, f.air, f.air, f.air, f.air, etc)
Yeah... Doc's f air is pretty awesome.

Scar

#HarveyDent
no, it's basically just walljumping an aerial, and scar (captain falcon player) named it after himself because that's what people like to do now-a-day.
There's a difference, if you're edgeguarding with Mairo and you walljump>uair someone recovering a little high, that's cool. If you were me though, you'd scarjump>uair>dj fair spike kill (and subsequently SD). THAT is BADASS.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Honestly, I hate both Dr. Mario and Mario's fairs. Where is the do it all fair that Marth has? =(

I like Mario more than Dr. Mario though, mainly just because of his nair. It's sooo much more useful because they can't see it coming from a mile away and it's better to shffl on the approach.

Although honestly, I suck with both of them, I just flail around with nairs, bairs and dsmashes until someone dies. Caping peoples' recoveries is funny though.

Onto video advice!

Holy CRAP you hit the buttons hard. Your controllers are not going to last.

Ummm... I only have a few bits of tentative advice.

You're messing up your shffl'ing a little, holding the L/R button too long. You should try to be a little bit more mobile/far away when using fireballs because you don't want the lag from that when close to Roy. He hurts.

I dunno if approaching with the fair is a good idea. I'd prefer the nair, but that's me. That time you tried to spike and killed yourself, I think you woulda been better off just hitting him out more with the bair.

Sweetspot your recovery more and... JC your grabs. Uhhh... That's really all I can come up with.

Oh wait, no. Don't waste your double jump. I saw a few times you used it to avoid a uair from Roy. You shouldn't do that. You have a Cape that stalls your momentum, use that instead. It's the same principle as Marth's Dancing Blade.

Oh and you should edgeguard better. Tilt your fsmashes down, dsmash or bair or something. A lot of your edgehogs would've been beaten if Roy had just hit you with his recovery, but he didn't. At least if you're going to edgehog, roll/stand up off the ledge. You don't have invincibility frames there forever. It's really only like half a second.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Honestly, I hate both Dr. Mario and Mario's fairs. Where is the do it all fair that Marth has? =(

I like Mario more than Dr. Mario though, mainly just because of his nair. It's sooo much more useful because they can't see it coming from a mile away and it's better to shffl on the approach.

Although honestly, I suck with both of them, I just flail around with nairs, bairs and dsmashes until someone dies. Caping peoples' recoveries is funny though.
Lol, now if only more people realized this >_> Seriously, the amount of people I've seen that think they can be good with random characters by just Shffl spamming moves makes me want to punch a baby. Its good to realize that that is not enough to be good.

Anyways, about the Nair thing, it really has more to do with what you want from it. The weaker knockback from Doc's makes it easier to follow up on even at higher percents while the normal Sex Kick of Mario is better to actually kill with.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Oh I was referring more to shieldstun being based on damage done, so Dr. Mario's would have less shieldstun, making the timing to avoid a shieldgrab harder. Although I guess he has other moves to approach with.

I only suck with the Marios because they're not high tier enough for me to invest the time in and they're not low tier enough for me to try to be good with them either. They're solid characters, it's just that they don't really do anything special enough for me to want to play them.

Pills make a funny noise though, that's something...

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
There's a difference, if you're edgeguarding with Mairo and you walljump>uair someone recovering a little high, that's cool. If you were me though, you'd scarjump>uair>dj fair spike kill (and subsequently SD). THAT is BADASS.
Oh how unfortunate. You've mistaken mario for an American character. :(

Too bad he's limited by his fat Italian ways. >.>

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
I mained Marth because I thought his Shield Breaker was the ultimate anti-Fire Fox edgeguard...

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
The zero to deaths only work on Final Destination/top platforms though.

And holy crap that's a fast match. Reminds me of KDJ vs M2K 1.3.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=DarkGea&p=r

there's his youtube account.

Go shuffle through it. I guess ill do that myself since i went through the trouble to find it.

ye25

Smash Journeyman
Heyyyyyyyyy reaper, remember me? That one guy who you talked to for like 13 pages on the kirby boards.

Top Bottom