• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Man it's quiet in here

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
=P 'Kay then.

What do you guys think as far as ledgehopped attacks go? I usually ledgehop dairs just in case people shield/crouch cancel so that I don't get punished, but would it be better to ledgehop something else instead?

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Am I the only one who realizes that basically every character except a select few has incredible gimping power at this point? Like, just about any character can get very low percent kills so Doc's "Awesome Gimping Ability" isn't so much a positive to his character as much as it is a standard at this point >_>

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
I think every has the possibility to gimp, just maybe not incredible power. It just depends on how aggressive you are. There're also a lot of characters who don't have as many gimping options due to their recovery or whatever.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Am I the only one who realizes that basically every character except a select few has incredible gimping power at this point? Like, just about any character can get very low percent kills so Doc's "Awesome Gimping Ability" isn't so much a positive to his character as much as it is a standard at this point >_>

no, you're not.

I used to think that bout doc (and mario & peach way back when when i mained them) until after i started really gearing up in melee and playing other characters for other reasons.

Then i found that every character can gimp, its just a matter of WHO they can gimp and how they do it.

just about anybody can gimp doc by taking his second jump and grabbing the ledge. Jiggs gimps ness by existing. etc, etc.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
I dunno... I think anyone could really gimp anyone... except Roy 'cause his aerials and recovery suck... then again, there's the Flare Blade... for what that's worth.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
sethlon told me how roy gimps when i was messin around with roy for low tiers.

I forgot what he said, something like f.throw -> DED fff -> (I FORGOT WHAT THIS PART IS).

and it works wonders on midweight (around marth) through floaty

Gea

Smash Master
Yeah, but just because everyone has gimps doesn't mean some are far more effective than others, which are very situational, especially against characters with multiple options back.

That's kind of common sense though. >.>;

I do agree that Doc's metagame has been the same for a long time... but at the same time, the Doc community is so small with so few players ever placing well, and those that did only refined (for the most part) what we already knew. Found setups for fair and new ways to get grabs.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Fthrow to DED itself seems a little shaky and situational... Roy doesn't have any aerials with decent knockback, 'cept maybe his Flare Blade which is really easily avoided.

I dunno, looking at the Doc boards, there aren't many like... Doc gurus I guess, that post here often to standardize the style. Everyone seems to have their own little things that they do that never really catch on with any of the other Docs.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
i just had the oddest thing happen to me.

Some random guy just AIM'd me asking me about melee & brawl, and random asked me about doc's uptilt.

Thing was, he was very vague, wouldnt really tell me who he was, and was making a blatent reference to gta4 (and tried to play it off).

So my question is, was it anybody on here? Cause i dont have a problem, but that was just random and weird. >.>

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
IT WAS ME LOOK OUT YOUR WINDOW MUAHAHAHA!!

...nah, I don't ask people about Brawl and I haven't played any GTA4. I bet it was Roman.. Two periods because he has a period after his screen name. The guy with the Snickers bar avatar and the thread asking about the utilt.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
*points to doc uptilt topic* yeah that's the guy who im'd me.

Its just, the way and time he did it made me believe that it had to be somebody pulling a joke on me or something, since i always complain about doc (especially that uptilt. XD)

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Wow, well, for one, you have to really mess up your recovery to get hit by Game and Watch's fsmash. So don't do that.

I had this problem with Marth when I started Smash DI'ing for the ledgetech. What you can do is quarter circle DI. So after you hit up-B, click L or R, then press into the stage and bring your control stick around the perimeter downwards. That way you won't have your control stick upwards ever and you won't walljump and you also will ledgetech even if you grossly miss the sweetspot. Which shouldn't happen.

You can use the C-stick to ASDI, I guess, but that's taken care of by the control stick anyway.

otg

Smash Master
Roman, if you UpBed immediately after you tornado'd you would have survived. Atleast it looks that way, remember doc's sweetspot is broken and can surprise you sometimes.

Besides that, it seems like you just kinda panicked there. Tornado instantly and than Up B, sometimes you can cancel the wall jump and Up B right away.... although you'll be completely vulnerable because you're above the ledge. Since you know how to wall tech, just get used to not holding UP as you try to tech into the wall. That will stop yourself from wall jumping and you'll just fall gracefully for an Up B.

Roman.

Smash Champion
idk i guess i'll try to break my habit but i really don't know, I probably could have recovered if i upbed after the tornado but it still leaves you vulnerable and i really just don't like the wall tech, was just asking to see if there was something i didn't know about that would help me.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Well you can't DI in the walljump animation, but you can cancel it with an attack and then DI back ASAP.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
how do you stop that? Simple

either

1) dont hold up.
-Man up", it's not that hard. (quotin my buddy Kyle from over on dustloop)

2) airdodge back onto the stage immediately after you wall jump tech.
-Quick, fast, to the point. Nobody's lookin for it anyway. >.>

3) Tornado -> up+b.
- This one will probably get you killed, but it's better than just jumping away and looking like a *******

Done. >.>

Roman.

Smash Champion
Ahhh thank you dogy, finally an answer that really helps. Airdodging back on the stage is the perfect solution, don't know why I didn't think of it myself but w/e Thank you so much.

boss8

Smash Hero
yea i miss the melee days but this game is ironicaly easy now if i stayed on it for a day id have my skillz back....**** melee wuz mad fun and so wuz doc and mario.
nut sadly brawl is were the money is....and i hafe to maintain my title as best mario in brawl.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
yea i miss the melee days but this game is ironicaly easy now if i stayed on it for a day id have my skillz back....**** melee wuz mad fun and so wuz doc and mario.
nut sadly brawl is were the money is....and i hafe to maintain my title as best mario in brawl.
although it's true that brawl is where the money is (it's kinda sad, cause it just gives the fighting game community more fuel for their fire against the smash community... whenever THEY stop being ********)

I want you to tell me wtf being the best mario means in brawl? You get mopped up by a brawlnado spamming metaknight. XD

Heck, you also get infinite chaingrabbed by penguin. >.>

its soooo dumb how brawl works. I sit around and play it online a bunch casue i have a wii and nobody around me to play anything. Everytime i play it i find something new to wonder about.

boss8

Smash Hero
actually bro i **** metaknights and penguins......and snakes.....just the simple fact of knowing the matchup.......brawl is ok i guess i just want money......

BTW otg i placed 13 out of 105 not bad for mario....

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
i need to play with u dogy....melee brawl 64 whatever...smash is smash......i need a ride to fast 1 >_>

anyone remember this???

http://youtube.com/watch?v=IEqnT3v40Nw&feature=related

i'd try s64, but i blow chunks at it. Like, seriously. I dont even know how to describe how bad i am in it.

Brawl, as much as i hate that game, as much as i cant stand it, and as many things as i can find wrong/dumb with the game, i'd be willing to play that.

As for melee, that's same as always. Just make sure we're not roasting our black ***** off in a volunteer fire department. XD

___

And ya know, after the 2nd or 3rd tech, you would think toastie would come up with a better edgeguard than f.smash.

That was just kinda comical to watch. He did all that work, and then you just came up and give him the $5 footlong.

Overload

Smash Lord
Nobody really posts in any character specific boards anymore under melee. Occasionally I see some fox and falco posts and stuff but never really any low tier character boards anymore like ness :(

Top Bottom