• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Mah0ne's Stuff about Puff

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
could you elaborate? i haven't done a crew battle in forever so i don't even remember what the rules were or are....i have a feeling if you just talked to tourney hosts you could probably change crew battle rules pretty easily as most of them probably don't care that much

Mahone

Smash Champion
we had a crew battle 2 days ago and i convinced them to implement the jv rule and it was hella hype...

i actually like jv rule and counterpick rules because i don't take crew battles seriously and like watching m2k on fd vs foxes, but i can see why some people would want them to be more competitive

Mahone

Smash Champion
I posted this in the falco thread, so i might as well post it here since puff is #1

Anyway, i just thought of another big thing that i do when praticing... and by do, i mean i tell other players to do it when helping them and never do it cuz im lazy and hate pokemon stadium...

but anyway... what will really help people who think they can space is to try to land moves at different parts of pokemon stadium...

the stage has a lot of lines that are symetrical and its tourney legal so its really good for this

basically, say, "im going to falco dair starting in the middle of the pokeball and end at the end of the red side of the pokeball" (You MUST say this outloud, if you dont, you wont get ANYTHING out of this technique).

you might be surprised at how little you can control your movement in the air and where you land...

this is probably because there is a lot of leeway in matches in whether you hit or miss, especially against an opponent of similiar skill level, but the better you get, the more finite the movements become and it becomes important to really control ur character

you can use: the middle of the pokeball, then the end of the pokeball, then the yellow triangles, then the gray line, then the end of the felt, then the end of the stage, as well as using the platforms (even using the red arrows on the platforms, which i assume indicate the exact middle of it)

heres a birds-eye view so you can understand what im saying:

dudutsai

Smash Lord
A mere plebeian like you will never understand there genius that is mahone's subtle trolling. mahone just won another thread. and my heart

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
whatever, i trained with this method and beat two people i couldn't beat before just by outspacing them..after the training it was like they were constantly throwing out aerials at bad spacings and couldn't keep up

_eternal

Smash Apprentice
Is it possible/reasonable to practice Puff against CPUs? I know there are specific techniques you could iron out by yourself (ledgecancels, etc), but would a beginner gain much from hitting computers around? It seems like a lot of Puff's movement is based on setting traps and baiting shield grabs or whatever, and I'm not sure how to practice any of this w/o playing someone. Feels like CPU Fox just runs into bairs, too... doesn't seem like I'm learning much.

(For the record, I know there are things you can only learn from playing other people, but I'm trying to get used to basics like edgeguarding spacies and techchasing. Every time I use Jiggs in friendlies I end up dropping things I shouldn't be dropping).

Massive

Smash Champion
You can practice resting sheik/falcon/'dorf out of their landing lag on recovery vs. cpus, and you can practice ledgedrop bairing firefox/firefalco, but it's not really a realistic scenario since most people will immediately attempt to recover again and a CPU won't.

The only thing I'd rely on CPUs to practice for is uthrow to rest, and that's really not that difficult to do to begin with.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
You should read PP's thing on shadowboxing (which he shamelessly stole from Cactaur iirc) in the Falco Discussion thread. I also think it's a good idea to practice aiming your fairs and stuff so they don't lose or trade with the firefox. You will, in practice, wind up trading sometimes but getting the general idea on how you have to aim your moves to maximize your killing power in certain (common) situations will help you act efficiently in those situations.

Mahone

Smash Champion
You guys should try sh retreating nair>instant dash attack. It's pretty good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkAR_jMo5nk#t=0m55s
instant dash attack has always been a really good high risk/low-medium reward option

puff usually doesnt have to take those odds to win, so ive strayed away from it, but if u got the reads like mango then its legit

Not true.

And the Falco main gets post # 1337. Suck it Puff mains.
ya that sounded false, good job on the 1337, i personally am sucking it as we speak :(

idea

Smash Master
lol, my set vs. pp at impulse was probably the worst i've ever lost in my entire smash career. years of kk and unknown522 could not equal it. next time i'll definitely do better :p

Mahone

Smash Champion
LOL the the top related video

it's on mahone

p.s. ouch, pp is ****ing terrifying in this matchup
its on like donkey kong!

ya, i think i could have not tried to guess as much when recovering and get on safer, but i actually thought i played pretty well but i still got *****

also game 3 i think he mind shattered me and i was sent to the shadow realm

time to do it ALL OVER AGAIN this weekend...

but this time i got vids to watch and ill probably go all puff for a change instead of fox the whole time or something ********

im hoping to get some 1 stocks in this time, either way, but this 3 stock stuff is not acceptable

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
It's cool, pp 4 stocked me like 3 times in a row

And we only played 3 times

:(

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Maybe every other puff above you?
Mahone what happened? I thought you were going to be isolated from every other smasher in the world.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
he is. I have been trying to get a hold of him for several days to play but he's busy becoming the next counterstrike champion

Mahone

Smash Champion
Maybe every other puff above you?
Mahone what happened? I thought you were going to be isolated from every other smasher in the world.
ya i am... sometimes when my vids come out i just get hype for a couple milliseconds and decide i can get better, but then i remember i cant ever practice and i hate 99% of the community so i change my mind

also, i dont think ill have enough money to go to nc this weekend so no more vids for a while :(

Bones0

Smash Legend
- It seemed like WD back worked for a little, but then he started overshooting really hard so you kept just holding shield after WDing back. Can Jiggs WD forward under SHFFLs? I feel like she would duck right under and then just bair Falco in the back of the head as he lands.
- You seem to get surprised every time PP slides off from something like a throw. Probably because most people are ignorant to the tactic as a whole (and they wonder why Falco's combos seem so herp-a-derp easy when they are the one getting comboed).
- @3:15 you should've shield drop uaired -> (utilt) rest.
- Lazy airdodges are lazy.
- I hate how Puff mains never use Pound to recover. They all just seem to think "well gee, I have so many god damn jumps, how about I burn them all so that I barely recover every time!" The only reason it upsets me is I see Hbox constantly landing with 1 or no jumps left, and no one ever punishes him for it. So yeah, start pounding back towards the stage until they are close enough to start hitting you imo. It's less fast and cool than jump fairing, but at least you don't get to those last two jumps and begin looking like a down syndrome child trying to grab the monkey bars.

Mahone

Smash Champion
i always wanna try wd forward, but i am too much of a ***** cuz it just seems so scary... i should just try it next time

ya, i dont know if ill ever be able to tell if people can slide off or not, its gonna take way too long since i dont know anyone who consistently does it... ill try to go back and watch the vid and look for that

GTFO with that shielddrop bs, im not doing that, im cool with being a worse player and not learning that ****

they arent lazy, i just am guessing that hes going to full hop bair at that moment, cuz if im right i look so smart, but ya, i should be more patient with recovery and just get ready to sdi instead of do lazy airddodges

i dunno what this one means, i pound a lot when recovering, u'll have to point out what times youre talking about

i was gonna review the vid, but i guess html5 youtube took away the 1/4 speed thing?

im too lazy to look, is there an extension for chrome or some easy workaround?

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
It's really hard to account for people sliding off of platforms, anyways. Someone I play with does it pretty often, and I always end up losing the combo, without much of a way to continue it. :\

Bones0

Smash Legend
Rewatching I guess you didn't have that many lazy airdodges. It must have just seemed like that cause PP punished them pretty well. They seemed worst in game 3, and that's also when I think you had a few opportunities to pound and come from above instead of coming in from the side, but maybe you were worried about getting uair KO'd or something. Maybe also try airdodging downwards instead of upwards so they have less time to land and rehit you if you did guess their aerial properly. I think Puff is one character that would benefit greatly from consistent triangle dodging. I have started trying to incorporate it into my gameplay, but it's really hard with spacies (easier with Marth and Ness). It's one of my next level metagame secrets, but I know no one is going to bother practicing this so I'm not worried about it getting stolen. Even if I ever did it to someone like 5 times in a game they would think I was getting lucky airdodges or something. lol

Did you consider going YS vs. him? I'm sure it sucks dying super early, but if you're just getting out-spaced all game because he's controlling the middle, then maybe playing YS would make it easier to get random aerials in and open up opportunities to abuse Puff's great punish game.

Massive

Smash Champion
I don't think this really has that much to do with mahone ****ing up at all, honestly.

Playing against people as good as PP can make even very experienced players appear to do abnormally silly/bad things.

Mahone

Smash Champion
Rewatching I guess you didn't have that many lazy airdodges. It must have just seemed like that cause PP punished them pretty well. They seemed worst in game 3, and that's also when I think you had a few opportunities to pound and come from above instead of coming in from the side, but maybe you were worried about getting uair KO'd or something. Maybe also try airdodging downwards instead of upwards so they have less time to land and rehit you if you did guess their aerial properly. I think Puff is one character that would benefit greatly from consistent triangle dodging. I have started trying to incorporate it into my gameplay, but it's really hard with spacies (easier with Marth and Ness). It's one of my next level metagame secrets, but I know no one is going to bother practicing this so I'm not worried about it getting stolen. Even if I ever did it to someone like 5 times in a game they would think I was getting lucky airdodges or something. lol

Did you consider going YS vs. him? I'm sure it sucks dying super early, but if you're just getting out-spaced all game because he's controlling the middle, then maybe playing YS would make it easier to get random aerials in and open up opportunities to abuse Puff's great punish game.
airdodging downwards might be good... i just tend to airdodge up to have more weaving options, but it might not be worth it since they have more time to rehit/react like you said

triangle jumping could be cool with puff, show me some stuff next time we play

YS is ridiculously abysmal for puff, getting shined and killed at ~40% is way easier than it should be

i didn't really feel like i was getting out-spaced all game... next time id probably just go back to fod twice, but i was curious how id do on fd without platforms... which i still feel would benefit me more than him, but i played really bad game 3 so idk...

ya, a big issue i had was getting nervous/pressured and taking some dumb actions... the best way to prevent that is be 100% on point with movement and tech skill, which IF I GO this weekend, shouldnt be an issue since ive been practicing puff a little more and will try to go all puff in the bracket

Top Bottom