• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Mah0ne's Stuff about Puff

boomrested

Smash Journeyman
All of her aerials beat it, if spaced correctly, will trade. Also I think fsmash and pound will beat it.

Mahone

Smash Champion
at first upb has no hitbox, then i think the charging one is diff than the moving one in terms of like priority or something, but ya, u would want to just space all aerials on it anyway, unless you know they started it in you, then u can do anything you want quickly since there is no hitbox

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Not to sound like an ***, but it's pretty hard to critique that because your opponent is doing so much wrong as well. Like you're doing a lot of unsafe things and making generally poor decisions for the matchups, but you're getting away with a lot of it versus this guy because he doesn't know how to deal with it or something. I'll try to give you some general advice though ;)

I just skimmed over the matches. Do you know your MUs? You might want to brush up on the things versus Fox and Falcon, especially Falcon. You also seem to blindly approach too much, you get smacked a lot for it because you just approach with a move and don't space it correctly or think about what you're going to do if it hits them, hits their shield, how you're going to position yourself afterwards, etc. Watching this, it looks like both of you just play an improv game and just do whatever comes to mind and hope it works. Map positioning also seemed as if it was not being utilized whatsoever. If you're just unfamiliar with this stuff, read up on it and try to slowly add it to your game. It's all very important. Definitely practice on your capitalizing as well. You had a lot of great opportunities where you could have done a lot, stocks that were essentially free, but you consistently failed to follow through. You also can't just play and hope opportunities come to you, you have to position yourself in a way that makes it easier for you to set yourself up for kill. Crouching versus Falcon during neutral game for instance, don't hold crouch but be ready to do it to get those whiffed grabs for a free rest. You never really punished whiffed grabs at all, nor did you fish for them. Grabbing is another thing, I can't recall you grabbing them a single time! Especially versus fox, grabs are so good. Plus they offer you the mix-up you need. If you're not covering multiple options, a good opponent will see right through you and poke at your weaknesses until you adapt. Fortunately, your opponent was making the same mistake as you. Like any fighting game, options are really just rock, paper, scissors. You have to make sure you're using all your tools, but it looked like you guys were just throwing rocks at each-other! xD In melee, it's generally grab, attack, shield. There are many other things to take into account, but what matters is that you have to make sure you're using all of your tools to counter what you're opponent is doing and get the upper hand. It's about reads and punishment, reaction and response.

I feel like I missed a lot of points, but I'm too lazy to read over what I just wrote lol. If you have any questions I can explain. :)

crush

Smash Master
Krynxe dont critique ifyou hhavent played smash b4 bro. my ***** boomrested has been the best puff on the east coast forever, jiggs has boom's name tattoo'd on her arm, he doesnt need ur advice.

:phone:

boomrested

Smash Journeyman
Krynxe dont critique ifyou hhavent played smash b4 bro. my ***** boomrested has been the best puff on the east coast forever, jiggs has boom's name tattoo'd on her arm, he doesnt need ur advice.
Sigged. Crush is the business.

Larz

Smash Cadet
Sigged. Crush is the business.

Krynxe, I changed my avatar just for you.
To be fair Boom, we played like absolute crap that day. Probably because we did spend the entire day trying to teach our friends L-cancelling... but whatever.

Oh and Crush, I was wondering how you are so active in tournaments, you're younger than we are but its really difficult for our parents to let us go to just Swagg, how did you do it?

dudutsai

Smash Lord
You used sh fair a few times, which I'm not a fan of... I do it a lot and it seems to never pay off.. I think the main problem is you can't jump afterwards so it's kinda high committal.

I saw you jab a few times when they had to tech, and I wonder if you were going for jab resets... I find that jab resetting is something you do more on reaction than prediction, but that may not have been what you were going for at all.

I really liked the jump predicts and the smooth wavedashing. I'll have to work that into my own game.

crush

Smash Master
To be fair Boom, we played like absolute crap that day. Probably because we did spend the entire day trying to teach our friends L-cancelling... but whatever.

Oh and Crush, I was wondering how you are so active in tournaments, you're younger than we are but its really difficult for our parents to let us go to just Swagg, how did you do it?
by being active in ttronaments do u mean missing like 80% oof the tronaments that r a 40 minute car ride or i can take the ttrain to? u should just troll ur parents oor soomething (go to mass madness bro)

Larz

Smash Cadet
Been trolling mad hard, dont worry. And its starting to look like mass madness is an option for me and Boom

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
man mahone..you not gonna help the poor man? i feel so bad with hbox just being left hanging for 3 days i'm tempted to critique the matches myself..but i don't like to waste hours of my time critiquing matchups i don't play..especially since i'll forget what i learn before i ever play enough to implement it

boomrested

Smash Journeyman
Was looking through the impulse stream to find Hungrybox vs. Peepee when Kirbykaze said something interesting about puff. Apparently dair->fsmash works at 110%+ on pretty much everyone. Anyone else tried this? It sounds like it would be better than dair->upsmash, especially against spacies.

Bieber

Smash Apprentice
hbox my main training partner is a falco so whenever a new set of you vs. pp gets uploaded i break out the notebook and pen and go analyst on that ****

i was gonna do a big write-up of positives and negatives from your latest set tonight, if you want my input i'll post it here but uhh...i'm still pretty new to this game and mahone/idea/tekk or someone could probably give better critique

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Was looking through the impulse stream to find Hungrybox vs. Peepee when Kirbykaze said something interesting about puff. Apparently dair->fsmash works at 110%+ on pretty much everyone. Anyone else tried this? It sounds like it would be better than dair->upsmash, especially against spacies.
You can actually dair through people at that point and get like 3-4 hits of it (not even at ground level) and then immediately turn around dash attack (or f-tilt if you mess up). Kind of cute off the ledge. You only need a few of the hits to connect for the combo to work so it's decent vs shields at high percents.

Dair > f-smash requires you hit a bunch of the hits. But it's not a morbidly tighter link than dair > up smash (2-3 frames I think?). Just takes a bit more finesse.

Mahone

Smash Champion
hbox my main training partner is a falco so whenever a new set of you vs. pp gets uploaded i break out the notebook and pen and go analyst on that ****

i was gonna do a big write-up of positives and negatives from your latest set tonight, if you want my input i'll post it here but uhh...i'm still pretty new to this game and mahone/idea/tekk or someone could probably give better critique
naw i saw you on some stream the other day and ur really good, i'm sure you could give a great critique

boomrested

Smash Journeyman
You can actually dair through people at that point and get like 3-4 hits of it (not even at ground level) and then immediately turn around dash attack (or f-tilt if you mess up). Kind of cute off the ledge. You only need a few of the hits to connect for the combo to work so it's decent vs shields at high percents.

Dair > f-smash requires you hit a bunch of the hits. But it's not a morbidly tighter link than dair > up smash (2-3 frames I think?). Just takes a bit more finesse.
Hmmm. Gonna try dair->dash attack and then say "copyright kirbykaze" every time i get it.

Bieber

Smash Apprentice
ok thanks to that pep talk from mahone i'm gonna go ahead and throw some of my critique on here. i wanted to do the whole set tonight but analyzing vids on twitch is really time-consuming since rewinding is a pain in the ***. i just did the first game and that alone took like an hour. whenever impulse vids get thrown on the yootoob i'll get to the rest of the games

warning: when i critique a hungrybox video, it's 100% for the purpose of me learning from hungrybox, not the other way around. so i apologize if this isn't very helpful to hbox or anyone else, but i wrote this up for my own benefit and i'm just sharing it on here in the hope that maybe juuust maybe somebody else will get something from it

http://www.twitch.tv/eschamptv/b/323376350

game 1

starts at 19:00

19:05 coming down with dair straight above falco, especially pp, is asking for an uptilt or bair, since (i'm gonna mention this a bunch) falco's uptilt and bair destroy most of puff's moves. dair can work as an approach sometimes from around a 45 degree angle in front of falco but i like it better as a retreating move from right in front of falco (fullhop dairing up and away, if it connects you have time to fastfall it back down and combo it to something else)

19:12 good fallthrough fair. when falco is dding around layering on the ground, getting up on platforms and falling through with an aerial works really well to find angles work around lasers. good weave back to avoid the potential cc shine BUT once you see he missed the cc the fair could've combod into a jab or grab.

19:15 ok you tried the fallthrough fair again, but the difference is that you faired his back. be very careful about fairing falcos back. his uptilt and bair both cut right through puff's fair, and since you just did a fallthrough fair, he was expecting this one and falco's back has too many options to counterattack --> combo predictable fairs

19:18 i think you missed the tech because you thought you'd land on the platform? anyways when you're by the edge missing a tech/teching in place/rolling away is really scary vs falco at around 80% because he can follow up with dair to aerial. BUT dair to dair shouldn't work at that percent if you di the first dair up and away (it works earlier but you should be able to recover at those lower percents. once it starts killing at around 70-80 you can di the first dair enough where the second one won't hit. tldr i'm pretty sure double d's isn't a legit kill on puff)

19:26 wow bair to dair was really sick i'm stealing that haha, i think you could've followed the dair up with something though, maybe crossup grab? i dunno. the weave back from the dair was mad safe though and gave you good stage control which i guess is probably better than going for an unsure combo because…

19:30 you pushed him to the edge and scared him onto the side platform which is a terrible place for falco when you have stage control, beautiful fair chain punish

20:08 good falling nair. whenever falco is in the air, aiming a nair right for that feather on top of his head is great news. unless he's in a position to bair you because surprise surprise that **** cuts through nair…

20:11 …as we now know

20:16 again good job punishing him for being on a platform. last time he was on a side platform and you got a fair chain, this time he's on the top platform but you still rise through the platform at the same angle and hit him with a fair. a lot of falcos like to camp the top platform but if you keep in mind the angles that you use to attack him on side platforms, it's not really a good position for falco

20:18 when falco's on the top platform you know he's coming down with a predictable dair or bair, so just wait, bait, and punish. here you jumped away from his dair and shuffled a bair at him which is good, but wd back grab or f-smash can be solid options too depending on percent/where you are on the stage

20:20 this is the first time you try to combo dair to something (in this case grab) on pp, and here you see him buffering a roll away to get away from the grab. throughout the set, he buffers the roll away literally every single time you hit him with a low percent dair. it's not just him, almost everyone loves to roll away (or sometimes spot dodge) after they get drilled. covering the roll and spot dodge after a dair is often a better look than just going for a straight grab

20:22 again, fairing falco's back is :(

20:25 be careful because when you're coming in high like that falco always wants to spike you so make sure not to trade with the dair. good fair to stuff his spike, really nice follow up onto the platform. puff's followups on platforms are really good, whenever you aerial someone onto a platform, chasing them onto the platform can lead to some really cool combos

20:31 wow that was a sick shield poke

20:34 wavedash oos f-smash can be super **** against a falco that's light pressuring your shield but not if he just runs away lol. wait for him to commit to a dair or something then kick him in the face

20:36 good di on the upthrow. in past sets pp was getting a lot more throw combos on you but you di'd out of his throws really well here which led to more survivability i think

20:42 great stuff from here to the end of the stock. that falling nair at falco's back was risky because he could've baired or utilted it but it worked so whatever. falling nair leads to great things on falco at around that percent. going out to smack him out of his up b is really good. falco's up b is really bad (short/no hitbox/long startup) so whenever you see falco start to up b you should always always always have time to go out there and hit him

21:05 nice falling nair again, i really like nairing like that to get back on stage

21:07 be careful wavedashing out of shield when he's just standing there like that, it can be easy to react to/predict. here he just dash attacked but a ballsier falco could've f-smashed and been safe

21:15 good stuff getting around his hard bairs here and not trying to pound like i would've lol

21:27 nooo way falling nairs are beautiful but you've gotta weave out on those things when he's at low percents or he can do free anything

22:05-22:12 "hbox you're sooooo good"

22:25 good punish on the dash attack, i always try to grab and miss

22:38 yeah…that shouldn't work. you can definitely di out of jab to upsmash, i'm not sure if you can di out of jab to aerial at kill percents, maybe if you di away enough you can get a nair out in time? i dunno

22:45 ahhhh no you had him here. i think the f-smash was a missed f-air? either way i think you should've just kept him on that first side platform and gone for the rest read. when you upthrow falco onto a plattie like that, with puffs aerial mobility you can cover all his options pretty hard. like with that upthrow, you could've covered the missed tech, tech in place and tech towards the center with a rest, and then if he rolled away you would've had plenty of time to waveland onto the platform and follow up with grab/fsmash/anything. keeping falco in a teching position on a side platform when you're below him and have all your jumps like that is like, the best possible position in this matchup

23:02 got too close to falco's back. i'm telling you falco's got a baaad badonkadonk (not sure about that spelling i tried the dictionary but webster wasn't helpful)

23:09 don't roll towards the edge at this percent don't do it

23:10 nooo double dair doesn't work i promise di that **** gg

Massive

Smash Champion
The only thing I can say after rewatching the videos is that almost all of PP's aerial hits occur when you attempt cross over the vertical directly above him. You won the match handily (FoD) when you crossed that area safely (high or with an aerial out) and got 3 stocked on the match that you didn't (Yoshi's).

Probably not very helpful, but food for thought.

idea

Smash Master
actually that sounds pretty important, it's tempting to try to cross people up with jiggs 'cause of what she can do from behind someone's shield, and 'cause she's so slow she has a hard time getting back there, but if it's not working then that's definitely something to pay attention to. lots of free punishes for them OOS if you do it wrong.

it's also fun, and most things jigglypuff can do from a neutral position that are fun are bad choices <_<

also like i said at the venue, i don't know that much about falco vs. jiggs, but i can look over the videos later if i'm not feeling too lazy (which i very well might be)

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
that's more like it..i even managed to think of two new things about marth while reading that critique..gotta get inspiration somewhere and i'm way too lazy to be critiquing on my own..

also, reading fox/falco critiques just ends up being 5 pages of tech skill notes, which tends to help me very little..but if i read critiques by jiggs, peach or sheik for some reason it always gives me ideas for marth

Massive

Smash Champion
that's more like it..i even managed to think of two new things about marth while reading that critique..gotta get inspiration somewhere and i'm way too lazy to be critiquing on my own..

also, reading fox/falco critiques just ends up being 5 pages of tech skill notes, which tends to help me very little..but if i read critiques by jiggs, peach or sheik for some reason it always gives me ideas for marth
This doesn't surprise me at all.

I've also noticed that most space animal critiques are about tech skill, since spacing is not as big a deal when you have an abundance of generally safe, commitment-free moves. Most other characters do not have that luxury so the tactics in vogue will involve spacing, which is universally useful.

With that being said, I'd wager the trip from playing Jigglypuff to playing someone like Falco is probably easier than the reverse. Anecdotally, I know several former and current Jiggs mains who can play space animals quite well, but very few space animal mains who can competently play Jiggs... and of course everyone remembers Mango.

idea

Smash Master
that reminds me, i'm basically a falco main right now <_< we'll see how that goes

getting a bit tired of jiggs, mainly because everyone in my region plays fast characters and i wanna go fast too :bee:

also spacing is still important for spacies in situations where they are not shield-pressuring, which is often...it's just kind of weird because you have to include fox's dash speed and stuff

(can be important for shield pressuring too, but y'know, not always)

boomrested

Smash Journeyman
that reminds me, i'm basically a falco main right now <_< we'll see how that goes

getting a bit tired of jiggs, mainly because everyone in my region plays fast characters and i wanna go fast too :bee:
Noooooo you can't do that. Not after your game against m2k in crews, that was some cool stuff you did with jiggs. Sigh. Puffs are dropping off one by one. It's an epidemic.

idea

Smash Master
well, pretty much just temporarily. falco has been my alt for a while now, i'm just focusing on him more for now. it'll probably make my jiggs better to play a character where i can run around as freely as i want for once :p

also about impulse crews
1. he has probably like never played that matchup lol
2. it randomed to dreamland :p probably best stage for jiggs in that matchup
3. that crew battle was kinda funny because m2k apparently didn't know crew battle rules? or something? so him vs. weon-x, we thought we were sending weon-x against his sheik, but he didn't know he couldn't change off sheik if we pick the stage and...there was just lots of arguing and it was dumb, so by the time m2k and i started playing we were both like "lol whatever"

unknown522

Some guy
well, pretty much just temporarily. falco has been my alt for a while now, i'm just focusing on him more for now. it'll probably make my jiggs better to play a character where i can run around as freely as i want for once :p

also about impulse crews
1. he has probably like never played that matchup lol
2. it randomed to dreamland :p probably best stage for jiggs in that matchup
3. that crew battle was kinda funny because m2k apparently didn't know crew battle rules? or something? so him vs. weon-x, we thought we were sending weon-x against his sheik, but he didn't know he couldn't change off sheik if we pick the stage and...there was just lots of arguing and it was dumb, so by the time m2k and i started playing we were both like "lol whatever"
you have #3 backwards

idea

Smash Master
oh right, at first we wanted to send weon-x's sheik against m2k's marth...THEN m2k switched to sheik so weon-x was like whatever, i'll go fox on his sheik...then m2k saw fox and went back to marth...and that's when people started being loud lol

Top Bottom