• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Mah0ne's Stuff about Puff

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
No worries Mahone, I'll review it when I get back home later today.

Since the last 4 or 5 weeks, I've been awfully apathetic about melee due to a huge loss in confidence, followed by my controller breaking, then my TV breaking soon after. I even said several times that I'm quitting melee, and even started playing smash 64 and other fighting games to compensate. After watching Zenith, also happening to get a new TV earlier that same day, I guess I got re-inspired. Even with a broken R button, I don't care. I love melee and I love pawf. After having skipped the last two regionals, I'm going next weekend and I'll be working at improving until then. Fortunately, silent wolf offered to help fix my controller. And with that, I might start being active here again. Unless you still hate me Mahone, then that's bad news. :smirk:

Quick question, how difficult is it to crouch Marth's dash grab? Is the timing strict? Exact frames would be nice

idea

Smash Master
i have like 8 controllers, come to canada lol

most of them are of only moderate quality or i wouldn't have kept getting more, but they all have working triggers at least...

(also i dunno with marth's dash grab...it seems to have more to do with how far the marth overshoots it, 'cause he has to run like right on top of you to hit the grab...it's probably also affected by how jigglypuff's crouch is not the exact same distance from the ground at all times)

boomrested

Smash Journeyman
just updated the guide... didn't change much of the content, just polished up some stuff, probably no more than 10 sentences total...

i did however change the formatting and color scheme... i think its more readable now, but who am i kidding...

no puffs are left to read any of this :(

i think the only puff that cares about getting better is tekk atm... these boards are really dead nowadays...

only one puff in bracket at zenith even though she's a top five character, oh well
Sorry you feel that way :( I know its not exactly the shining beacon of hope that you're looking for, but there are still some relatively new puffs like myself on the rise that improve a lot with your help. You give a lot of good advice and even if the boards are pretty dead, we appreciate it. I'm going to a tournament on Saturday, so I'll put up some vids for critique. I wanna get better!

:phone:

Mahone

Smash Champion
it's not even puff specific, the boards are more dead than they used to be...

i guess i'll stop complaining cuz it doesn't really accomplish anything, i guess i was just sorta bummed cuz there are no puff vids to watch or posts to read and i was really bored

Also, there is still puff hate, which i never understand since they are like ****ing 5 OF US lol, you would think we dominated tournies the way people talk about puff

Mahone

Smash Champion
Blame...

THE MOON
lol, aiight.. **** YOU, THE MOON

The hardest to play top tier is underrepresented? Why is this surprising?
Well, i don't agree with that, so i guess thats why i was surprised. She might be really hard at top level, but zenith wasn't THAT big, you just had to be a decent midlevel player to make bracket and jiggs isn't that hard at that level of play imo.

idea

Smash Master
it's cause it's all about feelings...most people just dislike playing against puff, that's what it comes down to. i can understand why from the few friendlies i've had against people's jigglypuffs with my spacies...it feels kind of campy and derivative. if you play AS jigglypuff you still get to experience a melee-style fight, because you can still do combos and edgeguarding and so on, but for them it's much slower and defensive than the average player wants to play.

i mean, i'm sort of guessing, 'cause i actually kinda like a bunch of jiggs' matchups from the other side, but i can still see what all the fuss is about.

there's also an element of just complaining because she's a good character who can beat you...but that's not unique, you hear lots of people say how gay fox/falco/marth/peach/ice climbers/even falcon are under certain circumstances.

edit: disclaimer--i haven't really played vs. a puff MAIN so that's worth mentioning too...gonna have to do non-jiggs ditto friendlies with hbox at impulse

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
most people prefer playing dumb and hate the idea that they can't approach 100% of the time without any intelligence at all. They then complain when they are forced to actually space.

TO be honest..lately a certain jiggs main that starts with M has started turning around and bairing me with falco during our fox vs falco matches which is really lame too!!!!

I want to run in stupidly and spam tech skill on your shield...when i switch to my fox i don't want to have to think!!!! GAAARRRGGH

alternatively i want you to throw yourself at me with all your might and let me counter your moves..but no..just turning around and spacing, slowing down our glorious spacie matches...ah well

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I like playing dumb in friendlies cause I don't care and seem to improve anyways, but then I get 4-stocked constantly. By tertiaries. I've heard that I should take my sessions more seriously anyways, as to be "fair" to those I play with. But I can rarely get into that mindset outside of tourney.

Mind you, "playing dumb" with Peach is pretty difficult, so I just use some brainless spacie (Falco).

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
I can rarely get into that mindset outside of tourney.
I can relate. It's hard to try-hard in friendlies especially as a puff main where you just want to GO IN

And peach can play as dumb as any other character can, I don't think it's character based at all

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Well, she can, but it's so easy to feel coming, I feel like I'm cheesing. Maybe it's just difficult for me. :p

Actually, I don't even think it's that difficult, unless I'm getting up-tilted for being super obvious, lol.

Mahone

Smash Champion
i think its just about who you play... there are a lot of people i can't play against seriously cuz they john or ***** and its really annoying and not worth me tryharding to hear all that ****...

but then there are people like kp who can get upthrow rested 4 times at zero and say gg sincerely

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
lol, just for the record i don't usually die from upthrow rest at zero 4 times..

usually there are a bunch of others hits involved, and then him styling on me offstage, and then him light shield edgehog push off into rest on the final stock or some similar shenanigans...if match score was determined by styling on your opponent, i would never win a match against mahone. I can't even manage to style on him in marth dittos, which is probably the easiest place to do it:\

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Styling on people is super difficult, actually. But it's easiest with Marth (or maybe Falcon).

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
definitely falcon..but marth is pretty good at it supposedly...my combos are all very formulaic and static though..need to do more hard reads and less covering of everything

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
lol, i know. i just wasn't sure if they knew^_^

raging over a game is dumb. that said, I have raged once or twice in starcraft: brood war. brood war doesn't have broken strats. However, certain strats require less than 1/5 as much skill from one players as the other. Also certain of these "cheese" strats are actually really bad but just rely on your opponent not scouting it. BBS (barracks barracks supply) automatically loses to pool openings of any kind but if the zerg opens 12 hatch, it requires the zerg player to play 50 times better than the terran to block the BBS.

That said, I've never really raged over BBS. I've raged over BBS into proxy factory into double starport...cheese into more cheese into more cheese.

while the strat may be balanced in the sense that the win rate of a player using cheese strats is probably lower than playing standard overall at pro level, at low level one player is putting in 10 times as much work.

Melee is luckily not nearly as stressful a game as starcraft.
I guess maybe i would rage in melee if i had trained for 3 years at pichu just to go to a national and realize that the simplest stuff invalidated my character. Luckily melee players have the sense to know that certain characters are much harder so a beginner doesn't typically do that.

Also when i say rage, I mean leave with no gg and quit playing. Not throw my controller and complain about the character/race. Usually i'm just pissed because my response was bad. I mean I've defended BBS flawlessly before even without scouting it early..it's just really really hard.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
As for not enough puffs looking to improve, mahone I need you to give me dem tips on jab reset again. I remember last time I asked, I had thought you were trolling me and then you said wtf and never finished =P

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
One useful thing I added to my game sort of recently is trying to catch people with ledgehop uairs when they're by the ledge trying to get me off or something. If you do it correctly vs fastfallers, you can ledgehop uair, land on the stage and either rest or jab reset, depending on the situation. It'll be hard to catch someone who actually knows what they're doing with this, so I wouldn't suggest fishing for it.

Additionally, you can ledgehop uair -> regrab -> ledgecancel sing to catch their tech and do whatever lol. But you have to be pretty dumb to not tech towards the stage in this situation.

Mahone

Smash Champion
I remember finishing that convo, i think it was just hard for me to explain what i meant

I cant focus now though cuz i lost my wallet... So I go to Burger King with my friend in my car last night, but he's driving (because i dunno where it is), we get there, order, and i take out my wallet and hand him a five, give it to him... This is where i stop remembering 100% where it is... Then i get handed a drink, then put the drink down, then 2 bags and the other drink, i have both hands full... Then we get home, i get out of the car holding all 3 still... Get inside put it down, sit and do something on his guest computer, then watch a movie on his comp, sitting in a diff chair, then sit down on the floor and play melee for a little...

The only other thing i remember is going upstairs to put a drink in the fridge....

WHERE THE **** COULD IT BE????

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
I remember finishing that convo, i think it was just hard for me to explain what i meant

I cant focus now though cuz i lost my wallet... So I go to Burger King with my friend in my car last night, but he's driving (because i dunno where it is), we get there, order, and i take out my wallet and hand him a five, give it to him... This is where i stop remembering 100% where it is... Then i get handed a drink, then put the drink down, then 2 bags and the other drink, i have both hands full... Then we get home, i get out of the car holding all 3 still... Get inside put it down, sit and do something on his guest computer, then watch a movie on his comp, sitting in a diff chair, then sit down on the floor and play melee for a little...

The only other thing i remember is going upstairs to put a drink in the fridge....

WHERE THE **** COULD IT BE????

you prolly shouldnt drink so much mahone

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
lol, yeah, when he started drinking in North Carolina I knew he was on the long road down

(speaking of which, my water was laced with alcohol....don't they have any cups that aren't used constantly for alcohol^_^)

crush

Smash Master
spaeking of drinking

me and my friend took a toy car thingy that you control with big radio antennae dreamcast controller looking thingy and put some cool **** on it with help from the frendly neighborhood pedophile ... and ....... voila ... we made a kool kar thing that can pour orange crush with the help of the dreamcsat controller . maybe later well get tigger woods to sign it.

boomrested

Smash Journeyman
Sucked so much at this tournament yesterday. Idk what happened, I just screwed up everything. Got frustrated way too much, couldn't space bairs correctly, and pounded way too much. Gotta start practicing more, I hadn't played at all in the last month and it showed.

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
I mean, you don't really get worse for not playing for a month, you just don't get any better.

Spacing bairs is like the bread n butter of playing puff on a bad day. Like whenever I'm playing really off, I bair like 5x more and I usually get destroyed by any good player but still do fine again idiots lol. If you're having trouble spacing with puff, I would suggest making that your focus

idea

Smash Master
hahahaha

i'll tell you about that set tomorrow. (not johns, i don't have any, just details)

oh by the way can i come over tomorrow :bee: after 5

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I sent you a text inviting you over so you are clearly not allowed to come because I love mixed messages.

...Of course you can come. :)

Also, I had a big post typed up on things that you could have done better and thoughts on your general bad habits but then the power in my complex went out for 2 minutes so it got deleted. I remember most of it. If you still want it, I will tell you tomorrow.

Also, the Mahone dair edgeguard thing *****.

Top Bottom